Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the cia got all their assets in china killed because they were having them directly upload stolen information to the cia.gov website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The OSS, a cia precursor org, tried taping housecats to gliding bombs on the theory that they would steer the bomb towards enemy ships because they did not want to get wet

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

did it work

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bushiz posted:

The OSS, a cia precursor org, tried taping housecats to gliding bombs on the theory that they would steer the bomb towards enemy ships because they did not want to get wet

ok the cia is good now

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The actual CIA had a plan to spy on the Russian consulate by implanting microphones into cats and releasing them near the consulate

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bridgietherease/status/1148995758206533632?s=20

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah this is why the kgb ran circles around the CIA. our intelligence services have always just been rich kid clubs

If you want a great* example of just how amateurish CIA operations can be, read up on the preliminaries of Operation Ajax, where Allan Dulles and co basically flew to Iran with a giant bag of money and drove around openly looking for anyone who'd take it in exchange for pretending to be part of a pro-Pahlavi/anti-Mossadeq resistance group.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It revolved around a cat doing what you want it to, so I'm gonna guess they blew up their own ships repeatedly.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

a successful strike by the bat bombs!

[they were accidentally released during training and napalmed their own research facility]

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

It is unclear how the cat was supposed to actually guide a bomb attached to it as it fell from the sky but the plan never got past the testing stages since the cats had a bad habit of becoming unconscious mid-drop.

e: I like that they put a cat into the bomb and didn't work out how the gently caress it was supposed to actually steer the thing. Galactic brain geniuses.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Jul 10, 2019

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The OSS had an alternate plan to the Doolittle raids on tokyo where they would tie tiny incindiary devices to hundreds of thousands of bats, and those bats would fly into the crevices of the buildings of Tokyo and detonate, burning the city down

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Whoever could possibly have foreseen a cat taking a nap?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the CIA flushed millions of dollars down the toilet to research whether the lyrics of "Louie Louie" contained subliminal communist propaganda. they're dumb as gently caress

Best Friends posted:

alternate explanation: a lot of people who are dumb as poo poo end up in the intelligence space because the requirements for entry are less "be incredibly competent" like in the movies and are actually more like "be a boring square through college and join the correct frat."
i'm gonna bet this is why they did it. they joined lame as gently caress frats at Yale, were jealous of other frat boys at the time getting drunk, loving women, and listening to rock music (read: "Negro" music), and they took their anger out on it by pissing away government money on discrediting their pet peeves

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Jul 10, 2019

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Its dumb to assume that the cia/fbi/etc are all dumbasses. Bc if they’re doing something correctly then it’s obviously going to be a secret. You only hear about the fuckups

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Bushiz posted:

The OSS had an alternate plan to the Doolittle raids on tokyo where they would tie tiny incindiary devices to hundreds of thousands of bats, and those bats would fly into the crevices of the buildings of Tokyo and detonate, burning the city down

come on no way

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Algund Eenboom posted:

Its dumb to assume that the cia/fbi/etc are all dumbasses. Bc if they’re doing something correctly then it’s obviously going to be a secret. You only hear about the fuckups

thats what they say about cops but i aint ever met someone who was significantly helped by a cop

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Damage Case posted:

come on no way

That photo above is the bat bombs napalming their own facility.

They also tried to have pigeons steer bombs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Damage Case posted:

come on no way

You have no idea the number and creativity of really dumb ideas people came up with during WWII.

chaser:

quote:

Adams, for his part, went on to a variety of crazy schemes. Right after, he advocated bombing the prairies with seed packets, and patented that scheme. And finally, after moving to Washington state, he tried to garner interest in a fried chicken vending machine. Truly Adams was a man with some ideas of his own making.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My favorite was the artificial iceberg aircraft carrier. Anyway speaking of airplanes and private islands

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wait is that billy zane on the left

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Algund Eenboom posted:

they're not all dumbasses, but a significant amount of them are. and the competent people are still part of a rotten institution

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Feranon posted:

like the old god cronus devouring his own children, the wealthiest have already demonstrated a willingness to destroy the young and innocent, to leave them traumatized and devoid of hope for a better future, all for the thrill of a little momentary power and material comfort. they do this in so many indirect ways while pursuing their hollow "enrichment" that it can be no surprise when a bunch of them choose to destroy the young in much more violent and vulgar ways

imo its high time for the titanomachy bitch :getin:

we already have a patriarchal rapist in charge op it's come and gone

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

The more levelheaded conspiracy researchers and writers during the Bush years noted that for whatever reason, ex-intelligence and former Bush White House aides were entering the 9/11 Truth movement but to back absolute and demonstrably false horseshit like “there were no planes/none of the hijacking victims actually died”, “Russia was behind it”, and of course “jet fuel can’t melt steal beams”. Note the staying power of these myths.

Similar things were noted about ex-intelligence and outright white supremacists sneaking their way into the Mind Control and Ritual Abuse communities. The UFOlogical community is laughably bad at handling this, Mirage Men is a killer read/watch on the subject.

Basically a good chunk of American conspiracy theories are dreamed up in the government and fulfill the purpose of allowing their believers to believe they’ve found deeper knowledge and broken free of the government’s official story, all while obfuscating whatever truth may be out there.

I had thought UFOs were present day mythologizing about phenomena imperceptible to the intoxicated/poorly educated, like a modern day tall tale along the lines of Paul Bunyan.

However, now that you mentioned it, I do recall some former FSB dude talking about how there needs to be “present” and “necessary” conditions for any psyop to take root . .

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

The deep state is real and it's sole purpose is to protect our pedophile ruling class

The investigation is being handled by an anticorruption unit. The Deep State is at war with itself. :tinfoil:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Man Musk posted:

I had thought UFOs were present day mythologizing about phenomena imperceptible to the intoxicated/poorly educated, like a modern day tall tale along the lines of Paul Bunyan.

However, now that you mentioned it, I do recall some former FSB dude talking about how there needs to be “present” and “necessary” conditions for any psyop to take root . .

Well I mean yes it’s both, for a good insight into UFOs as modern myth and developing religion, check out Diane Pasulka’s American Cosmic.

Back to sex rings and the CIA, I suspect this could all be called Operation K-12, and only 9-12 have been compromised.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ok the cia is good now

the cia will be a hilarious treasure to humanity the second they are no longer exist any form which possesses or wields power of any kind except perhaps preserving and displaying records of their hilarious misadventures

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lmbo imagine thinking Ufos arent real

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol if u haven't seen a ufo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
lol if you don't buzz fighter jets in your "ufo" (lol humans right?)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the cia got all their assets in china killed because they were having them directly upload stolen information to the cia.gov website

Good.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Wait really?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
That would be a good and easy way to purge unwanted employee agents.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Al! posted:

lol if u haven't seen a ufo

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if aliens are real i imagine they love to watch us because we're so comically stupid and self destructive as a species

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"these dumbasses are detonating nuclear bombs in their own atmosphere!"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

check out Diane Pasulka’s American Cosmic.

i kinda disliked this book...its was fun and all but it reads like a movie script. i think remember her saying there were major edits or something but not what they were.

did enjoy Prisoner of Infinity: UFOs, Social Engineering, and the Psychology of Fragmentation. it uses personal narrative to fuse the child abuse and popular ufo stories while deconstructing the works and figure of Whitley Strieber

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

There was also the case of agents uploading Fitbit gPS telemetry.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fiend posted:

There was also the case of agents uploading Fitbit gPS telemetry.

lmfao

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-29/fitness-tracking-app-accidentally-reveals-secret-us-military-bases-cia-black-sites
https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/957342822377472000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

U.S. intelligence officers were also able to identify digital links between the covert communications system and the U.S. government itself, according to one former official—links the Chinese agencies almost certainly found as well. These digital links would have made it relatively easy for China to deduce that the covert communications system was being used by the CIA. In fact, some of these links pointed back to parts of the CIA’s own website, according to the former official.

The covert communications system used in China was first employed by U.S. security forces in war zones in the Middle East, where the security challenges and tactical objectives are different, the sources said. “It migrated to countries with sophisticated counterintelligence operations, like China,” one of the officials said.

The system was not designed to withstand the scrutiny of a place like China, where the CIA faced a highly sophisticated intelligence service and a completely different online environment.