Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Straight Talk is an MVNO like Fi which might be why they're sending it to AT&T. If you have your 5 digit PIN listed in your Straight Talk account info and the 15-digit underlined code on the SIM card, you should have all the info you need.

someone else on the internet posted:

I just transferred from StraightTalk (w/ AT&T sim) to ProjectFi. It took me about ~15 attempts before I got it right. I think the biggest problem I had was making sure my address matched exactly as I had it in my StraightTalk account settings. At first there was a discrepancy with my apartment # format which I think caused my initial failures. What finally worked after I squared away my address: For AT&T account number, I used the 15 digit underlined portion on my StraightTalk SIMCard. For pin number - I already had a 5 digit pin set in my StraightTalk account settings. Once I entered these - my number ported over in minutes.

You could try giving Straight Talk a call at 800-346-6895 to see if they have any better info. Just make sure you're using the 5 digit PIN listed in ST acct info and not 0000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

About a week ago or so I wound up dropping fi and going back to Verizon. Partly because for the same price I was averaging on fi I could have 16 gigs of data (I average 2 or 3 a month because there's a lot of places here with no wifi), and because honestly the TMobile and Sprint coverage where I live is lousy compared to Verizon.

Was a painless process to switch to and then off of fi at least

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bloodplay it again posted:

Straight Talk is an MVNO like Fi which might be why they're sending it to AT&T. If you have your 5 digit PIN listed in your Straight Talk account info and the 15-digit underlined code on the SIM card, you should have all the info you need.

You could try giving Straight Talk a call at 800-346-6895 to see if they have any better info. Just make sure you're using the 5 digit PIN listed in ST acct info and not 0000.

I used the SIM card code (which is also my account number with straight talk) and the 5-digit code. But when I called straight talk earlier they actually had me create a new 4-digit code. So when I resent the number-transfer request to Fi I used that new 4-digit code. The PIN has been revised on straight talk's website to the new 4-digit one.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I used the SIM card code (which is also my account number with straight talk) and the 5-digit code. But when I called straight talk earlier they actually had me create a new 4-digit code. So when I resent the number-transfer request to Fi I used that new 4-digit code. The PIN has been revised on straight talk's website to the new 4-digit one.

drat. I was hoping it was something simple like incorrect number of digits. Sorry I can't offer any helpful advice. :(

This is as good of a time as any to warn of the dumb mistake I made:

If you go to Fi settings and disable international service, be sure to enable the setting again before leaving the country because your phone will be dead until you connect to WiFi otherwise. I thought I'd be able to enable it from the Fi app after we crossed the border but you need data to toggle it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

At this point if you were a Fi rep you'd say oh, good, since you entered the correct information the transfer will proceed correctly. Please wait 24 hours for it to complete. Is there anything else I can help you with?

I actually tried pressing a rep on this, and she ultimately googled what Straight Talk is and told me it's an "AT&T resaler." Just stunningly incompetent tech support for such a techie service. Like, on the level of telling grandpa which remote turns the TV on.

I have friends in hell, I see https://support.google.com/fi/thread/911603?hl=en

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 30, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've had my best luck with project fi support by getting on chat, explaining the problem, explaining what myself and previous agents have tried, and then refusing to budge off chat until the problem is actually fixed. The function of their script is not to help you, it is to get you to leave the chat; playing along with it is a fool's errand.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Despair posted:

About a week ago or so I wound up dropping fi and going back to Verizon. Partly because for the same price I was averaging on fi I could have 16 gigs of data (I average 2 or 3 a month because there's a lot of places here with no wifi), and because honestly the TMobile and Sprint coverage where I live is lousy compared to Verizon.

Was a painless process to switch to and then off of fi at least

I know this probably doesn't apply but I was looking at spectrum and they use Verizon towers and have pretty good pricing.

Not sure how long that will last but it seems like the best value for now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And if you’re a Comcast customer, Xfinity Mobile also uses Verizon and has similar pricing ($12/gig or $45 unlimited).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just a follow up that I finally got my number ported. You absolutely need to call them if your problem isn't totally trivial.

I had to spend an hour on the phone with a guy, who himself was on the phone with another guy, who was also on the phone with another guy. And then I was on hold for an hour until a manager (!) picked up the issue and we did a 4-way call between me, Google, T-Mobile, and Straight Talk. I had to keep arguing with them nearly the entire time that no, Straight Talk is not an AT&T wholesaler -- your automated process is not working. The real kicker for me is that because it took several days for them to resolve this, my previous phone plan expired and I had to renew it to continue the porting process. So that was just money in the trash because of their terrible customer service. They reimbursed some of it, but it also ate the free money I got from a referral bonus.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Got notified of another person using my referral code, I can only guess that it was another goon as I believe this is the only place I've thrown my link, so mysterious goon: thanks! :bubblewoop:

New page, new referral spam: Here's my referral link for Google Fi if anyone needs it. My bill last month was $10.55, feels pretty great. Sorry to the above goons having wicked issues with their customer service, I guess I dodged a bullet with being one of the first people to get a brand new Pixel XL to replace the battery issue with the Galaxy 6.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah that was me. You get special thanks because of the story above.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah that was me. You get special thanks because of the story above.

Oh nice! I mean nice for the referral, not for the porting the number problem.

I worked for about a year in a phone carrier store inside a walmart, like the nooks past the cash registers, and I to remember now, with your posts jogging my memory, that porting numbers from Straight Talk was a pain for the same reasons you mentioned.

You deserve to snag the next referral from this topic moreso than me though, post that link so somebody can snag it when they look here!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

oh drat, good idea

JOIN WITH MY REFERRAL LINK

https://g.co/fi/r/J2XJV7

and help me recover what was stolen from me

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
About to travel internationally for my first time on Project Fi. I have a Pixel 3 XL. From what I can tell, when I land in Germany, things will just start working?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

About to travel internationally for my first time on Project Fi. I have a Pixel 3 XL. From what I can tell, when I land in Germany, things will just start working?

Eventually. You'll get the "Welcome to Germany!" popup after you come out of airplane mode/turn it back on, calls and SMS will work almost immediately but it may take a few minutes before you get data service.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

By the time I was off the plane in Japan Google Fi was up and running on my phone.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I've traveled out of the county multiple times with fi and it's been pretty quick and seamless everytime for me. Only county I remember having issues in was Hati.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The actual service internationally was great.

Trying to get any support while traveling, and they'll happily tell you to gently caress off that international service is a bonus feature that isn't actually supported.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
That is great news. Thanks!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Group MMS didn't work for me in France, and maybe in the UK too?
Kinda annoying

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Ah yeah, I had that happen when I was in Scotland a bit ago, believe it ended up just being because Fi doesn't have a contract with the providers there for MMS. :shrug:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like Fi is gearing up for a new plan...maybe unlimited with 480p video streaming or maybe something related to Stadia.

https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1151656312159244288?s=09

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Hopefully they poo poo or get off the pot as I'm right on the edge of bailing for a Verizon prepaid plan.

Anyone successfully clawed back their phone number from Fi? I've seen horror stories.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I did the thing that releases a code to you and switched to Cricket (in store) in like twenty minutes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just got back from my trip overseas. Fi worked more or less flawlessly. Everything worked without issue I landed in Germany, and when driving in to France and Switzerland.

I also dropped my Pixel 3 XL in Switzerland and cracked the screen. :suicide:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah I switched from fi to a Verizon prepaid and my number was ported over in about 30 minutes flat.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I tend to do local SIMs, but Fi is a great placeholder for short stints! Their data rates just aren't competitive ($10/gig in the US is bad enough) compared to local rates... Hong Kong is 3GB for $12.50.

Morocco is $1/gb.

Ireland is €20 for unlimited across the EU.

(etc)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah my data usage has been creeping up lately, and I'm starting to wonder what the point of staying on Fi is. Its a money saver when I use little data, but going back to TMobile is starting to look cheaper. I don't know if I'm using data outside of the house more, or if these dumbass "features" are using mobile data when I'm already connected to WiFi.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I keep my cellular data turned off 90% of the time now, cause my work upgraded its WiFi. That should solve the using data at home problem, at least?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I gotta manually turn my mobile data off to not use mobile data while connected to WiFi?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

There have been reports of cellular data being used even when connected to WiFi, so I just err on the side of caution and turn it off.

I never checked my account before just turning it off, but I also just keep it off, for real, 95% of the time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Johnny Truant posted:

There have been reports of cellular data being used even when connected to WiFi, so I just err on the side of caution and turn it off.

I never checked my account before just turning it off, but I also just keep it off, for real, 95% of the time.

They only really do that if your WiFi is super garbo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Takoluka posted:

Yeah that's what I figured, but :shrug:

My wifi is also passable at best, but it's my only non-Comcast option at the moment. Although with an impending PC I'm building on the horizon I'm going to bed to switch back anyway :sigh:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Takoluka posted:

I've had it using data in the same room as the wifi router.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FogHelmut posted:

I've had it using data in the same room as the wifi router.

It prioritizes the faster speed, so it's possible that your WiFi speed was shoddy at those times. I would rather it not do this, personally, but at least we know the "problem."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Whenever I'm at home or at work, I put my phone into airplane mode then connect wifi. I'm still somehow pushing 2GB/month and paying more than I expected overall, so once this phone is paid off in a couple of months I'm either switching back to Sprint or trying out T-Mobile.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Whenever I'm at home or at work, I put my phone into airplane mode then connect wifi. I'm still somehow pushing 2GB/month and paying more than I expected overall, so once this phone is paid off in a couple of months I'm either switching back to Sprint or trying out T-Mobile.

I had an app that limited myself to a daily data limit and was hitting 3 gb/month every month with a ton of stress thinking about the pennies I'm using.

The first month after switching to Cricket (same phone, same usage) I was barely breaking 2 gb despite removing all limits from my usage.

I use my phone more now (thanks, twitter), but still rarely hit 4 gb.

I think there's something about Fi that uses extra data.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

I had an app that limited myself to a daily data limit and was hitting 3 gb/month every month with a ton of stress thinking about the pennies I'm using.

The first month after switching to Cricket (same phone, same usage) I was barely breaking 2 gb despite removing all limits from my usage.

I use my phone more now (thanks, twitter), but still rarely hit 4 gb.

I think there's something about Fi that uses extra data.

Does cricket cap your streaming bitrate?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not that I can tell.

And my usage rarely includes video on the go. It's almost all at home on Wi-Fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've never had an issue with data but maybe I don't use my phone as much as most people.