Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

froglet posted:

That sounds a lot like the last of The Immortals series by Tamora Pierce (Realms of the Gods).

Beat me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Beat me to it.

I'm glad that it wasn't just me that remembers it as being super weird. Like I kinda blasted through all the series as a kid, and I wasn't too bothered by it because "hey if it's available at the library it must be okay", but as an adult my reaction is more "what the actual gently caress".

I mentioned this book at a panel discussion I was on a few years back because "we'd all be up in arms if there were a book out there set in the real world where a 16 year old and her teacher fall in love and everyone - including the girl's parents - is cool with it. Meanwhile, The Immortals series is still quite popular now and kids can borrow it from the library".

froglet fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 3, 2019

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Sci-fi eco novel. There are earthquakes and other natural disasters all over the planet. Several survivors report hearing strange chanting or eerie music before the catastrophes happen. Over time weird humming, or not quite singing is reported, the centres of these hotspots forming a kind of grid pattern, all leading towards the middle of Australia.

Turns out Songlines and Dreamtime are real. Australian Aboriginal tribes end up saving the Earth by walking, while singing, ancient paths and patterns.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

This is from Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander but I don't think the rest of that description is, unless you're wildly misremembering it. Time Cat does have chapters in Egypt and Japan but those events don't happen.

I just looked it up, and apparently there is a part in Time Cat about the Isle of Man. I guess that is it. The cover is familiar. Thanks!

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Short story where someone starts uncontrollably "falling" upward, as if gravity had reversed or failed for them alone. I recall them grabbing onto the highest branch of a tree, only to lose their grip. I don't remember how the story ended, though it might have been "all just a dream."

And I'm pretty sure I'm not thinking of Shel Silverstein's poem "Falling Up"; this was a prose story.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Thomas Olde Heuvelt's "The Day the World Turned Upside Down" (although in that case it's not only the protagonist who's affected)?

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

I don't think that's it, but that story looks interesting; thank you for the link!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Does anyone know a sci-fi (short?) story where a galaxy-wide alien civilization discovers the Earth is the only source of pot in the universe and the interplanetary weed trade quickly becomes the sole business of the planet because it’s otherwise completely unremarkable?

I’m pretty sure weed is what the story was about, but possibly it could have been some other random thing that was unique to earth and someone just made a joke to me about what if it was weed.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

skasion posted:

Does anyone know a sci-fi (short?) story where a galaxy-wide alien civilization discovers the Earth is the only source of pot in the universe and the interplanetary weed trade quickly becomes the sole business of the planet because it’s otherwise completely unremarkable?

I’m pretty sure weed is what the story was about, but possibly it could have been some other random thing that was unique to earth and someone just made a joke to me about what if it was weed.

One of the Baen right wing authors had a world where it was maple syrup that got one of the other major galactic races high and that was the key to earth wealth or something like that.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hughlander posted:

One of the Baen right wing authors had a world where it was maple syrup that got one of the other major galactic races high and that was the key to earth wealth or something like that.

IIRC Joe Haldeman's All the Universe in a Mason Jar is that with moonshine.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Read a short story a while ago about a kid who buys a used VCR from a second hand store from a shopkeeper who looks out of it.

The VCR works fine, but when testing it the kid records live TV and when rewatching realizes he can keep fast forwarding past the present time. At first he uses this to impress classmates with NBA predictions, but one night when fast forwarding he gets annoyed that the expected game in a few weeks was being preempted by news coverage, and as he continues fast forwarding the coverage gets worse before the recording is of dead air.

As he’s just a kid he has limited options and goes back to the store and the owner is like “you watched it too, huh?”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Read a short story a while ago about a kid who buys a used VCR from a second hand store from a shopkeeper who looks out of it.

The VCR works fine, but when testing it the kid records live TV and when rewatching realizes he can keep fast forwarding past the present time. At first he uses this to impress classmates with NBA predictions, but one night when fast forwarding he gets annoyed that the expected game in a few weeks was being preempted by news coverage, and as he continues fast forwarding the coverage gets worse before the recording is of dead air.

As he’s just a kid he has limited options and goes back to the store and the owner is like “you watched it too, huh?”

Holy gently caress.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

also curious what this is ^^

Help identifying: kids go to a summer camp and get small gems that you can do magic with. Main character gets some super special one with a division in it. The instructors weren't gonna put it out (or thought they didn't and it magically showed up?). There's a kid who rolls pancakes up and can eat a ton of food but is still skinny (nothing magical, just high metabolism/being a teenager).

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Kid goes to a boarding school for... vampires and warlocks and that? One by one his classmates get "accepted" by the school which they show by wearing a special ring. Once this happens, they are weird and distant and there is a definite "us against them" mentality. Right at the end the protagonist has gone through whatever ceremony was needed and now he's got the ring, and he sees everything clearly and it's all cool and good. I remember reading it and thinking "ah right he just got it wrong, turns out it was fine" but I'd like to have another look and see if it comes off as more nuanced 30 years on.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

"Otherwise Pandemonium" by Nick Hornby.

Is Scribd :filez:? https://www.scribd.com/document/203567149/Otherwise-Pandemonium

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This is a better telling of the story than the actual story, drat.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

This is terrible, he uses his knowledge of the upcoming Armageddon to pressure a 14 year old girl into sex

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

This is terrible, he uses his knowledge of the upcoming Armageddon to pressure a 14 year old girl into sex

If that's not a classic sf trope idk what is.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is a better telling of the story than the actual story, drat.
Yeah that was... disappointing

I also got teased by The Tale of the Gray Dick

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Splicer posted:

Yeah that was... disappointing

I also got teased by The Tale of the Gray Dick

That got incorporated into Dark Tower V, FYI.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_V:_Wolves_of_the_Calla

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whoa! thanks for finding that, that was significantly different than I remembered. I thought the main character was younger, and I totally forgot the teen sex aspect. Glad I recalled he used it for NBA games.

This is fun! I need to vaguely recall more stuff, the forum has like an 80% hit rate. I gave sketchy info on a Mac shareware game in another thread and someone instantly knew which French developed caveman it was.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Science fiction novel published within the last 10 years or so, either the prologue or the opening chapter began with two humanoids (maybe of different species, one possibly human) are walking along a trail towards a transport station, chatting about something or the other (maybe a war?). They reach the transport station and at least one of the humanoids climbs into something like a hot air balloon or maybe something like a cable car. Really wish I could remember more than that. Probably just downloaded a sample of something after Googling for "top sci-fi novels of year xxxx" and then forgot all about it following it up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There's a cable car scene in Iain M. Banks' Look to Windward, it's from 2000 tho.

I think also in his Against a Dark Background (1993).

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Krankenstyle posted:

There's a cable car scene in Iain M. Banks' Look to Windward, it's from 2000 tho.

I think also in his Against a Dark Background (1993).
Answering my own question now, but I managed to fire up my old iPad and checked what I'd downloaded. It was Michael Cobley's The Seeds of Fire. I'm a big Iain Banks fan, so knew it wasn't one of his, but oddly enough he did provide the drop quote on the novel's cover, so you weren't a million miles off!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol nice

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Request from a friend:

quote:

Female centric society. Alien invaders.
Secondary character a boy with golden eyes.
Woman who was a healer (?) who is introduced to the reverend mother.
Large animals are in there somewhere as pack animals? The woman goes on a long trip and gets travel sick?
At the end of the book they take back their planet from "humans" and make vague comments about maybe taking over the universe one day.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ToxicFrog posted:

Request from a friend:

I saw this posted somewhere else and my immediate thought was Darkchild by Sydney van Scyoc (1st in the Daughters of the Sunstone trilogy). But it's been a looong time since I read it so all I really remember is alien boy + matriarchal society.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I have another short story from when I was a kid and I think it might have been part of the collection no-one knew before so I'm not hopeful, so we'll see.

A boy gets bullied by some bigger boys. They kill a swan with an air rifle, and tear its wings off and tie them to him saying they're going to make him fly. He ends up on some train tracks and he lies inbetween as a train zooms above him. He's uninjured, I think. Can't remember anything else.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sanford posted:

I have another short story from when I was a kid and I think it might have been part of the collection no-one knew before so I'm not hopeful, so we'll see.

A boy gets bullied by some bigger boys. They kill a swan with an air rifle, and tear its wings off and tie them to him saying they're going to make him fly. He ends up on some train tracks and he lies inbetween as a train zooms above him. He's uninjured, I think. Can't remember anything else.

This is a Roald Dahl story. It’s in the same collection as the story about the guy who can see through cards.

It’s in here: The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606867857/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9IOsDbEPE62JA

navyjack fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 7, 2019

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

navyjack posted:

This is a Roald Dahl story. It’s in the same collection as the story about the guy who can see through cards.

It’s in here: The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606867857/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9IOsDbEPE62JA

Ah nice one thank you, my copy had a picture of a boy hugging a turtle on the front. So not the other book I was thinking of, but still happy to have an answer. Thank you!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sanford posted:

Ah nice one thank you, my copy had a picture of a boy hugging a turtle on the front. So not the other book I was thinking of, but still happy to have an answer. Thank you!

The turtle story is in that collection as well

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Yes sorry, wasn't clear. My copy of Henry Sugar had turtle boy on the front - it was this one. But there is another collection of stories I read when I was a kid and I though the swan story might have been from the same book.

Just to try again on the other book, I remember a couple of stories:

- a boy goes with his grandfather to visit the graves of family members who were very tall. The boy rides on grandad's shoulders at one point. The grandfather is very proud of how tall his ancestors were.

- a boy somehow ends up responsible for a day for his neighbour, a girl much younger than him. She either walks in nettles or is scared of nettles, so he gives her his jumper to wear upside-down on her legs. Later they get on a bus and the bus driver makes fun of them, asking if the upside-down jumper is a new style.

I thought I had more but looking into it, several stores I remember also turn our to be Roald Dahl. One thing I do remember is the book was very northern, althought that might be because it was an audiobook and the narrator was from yorkshire or something. I thought it might be Michael Rosen, but can't see anything that matches what I remember.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Ok so here goes one from the Mrs:

A little boy who's parents were concerned about aeroplane crashes to the extent they took separate flights to avoid leaving the boy an orphan. They took separate flights and lo and behold both crashed leaving the boy an orphan.

Read by my wife about 1997 but she recalls no other details I'm afraid.

Help me goons, you're my only hope.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Insane insane necro quote, but I just happened to look at what I posted in here in 2010.....

eating only apples posted:

That's the first in the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson, called The Wind Singer. The second book is Slaves of the Mastery, and the third is Firesong. The twins are Kestrel and Bowman, the city is Aramanth and the tank fort was a giant desert boat :) Good books, I still read them sometimes.

God drat, that was the book. Clearly didn't check back and see that.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

This may be a short story, or a full-book but I'm only recalling a section of it, but I have never been able to find it.

In the fourth grade I remember a narrative that went something like this...

Two boys are told explicitly NOT to go to a diving hole or river, something of that kind.

Boys go to it anyway, and one drowns.

From what I recall the boy who drowns is the one that was somewhat pressured into going by the other, or at least wanted to back out at the end.
A larger portion of the narrative is focused on after the drowning when police and the like show up.

The ending culminates in a sort of hash truth told by the father when the surviving child is talking in their room with him. The boy is telling the father about how he can't get the smell
out of his nose of the water when his friend was drowning -- some sort of olfactory trauma response I guess. The father replies that he may never get rid of that.

This is coming from the 4th grade teacher who is now, and i suspect was at the time a bit of a lush, and would almost weekly read books like a Child Called It and The Tell-Tale Heart to her class.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There's a book I've been thinking about on and off for years now. I would've read it either in the late 80s or early 90s.

The main characters are a boy and his younger brother who are spending the summer away from home. I dont remember if it's at their grandparents house or whatever. The older boy is overweight and shy. I think there's a big mystery regarding a lake or pond? There is a girl the same age as the older boy and I think he likes her but is too shy.

The one thing I really remember for sure is that at some point the girl wants to give the older boy a gift so she decides to give him a belt which I think she makes herself. But she doesnt know what his measurements are, so she finds a tree that looks about as big as he is around and wraps the leather or whatever around it to help her gauge.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

SerialKilldeer posted:

I don't think that's it, but that story looks interesting; thank you for the link!

It really isn't.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

SerialKilldeer posted:

Short story where someone starts uncontrollably "falling" upward, as if gravity had reversed or failed for them alone. I recall them grabbing onto the highest branch of a tree, only to lose their grip. I don't remember how the story ended, though it might have been "all just a dream."

And I'm pretty sure I'm not thinking of Shel Silverstein's poem "Falling Up"; this was a prose story.

Upside Down Harry? Although that was a whole book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upside-Down-Harry-Hippo-fantasy/dp/0590133446

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

SerialKilldeer posted:

Robert Arthur's short story The Wonderful Day has this happen to someone.