Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Keetron posted:

1: will do. First the pen and then the paint or just both at kind of the same time?
2: can do that
3: wait, what is a texture, how do I get a texture?
4: is Payne's grey ok?
5: roger

what is desaturating?
But the sun was on the grass, it was like super green! (ok, not that green)
In general, I drew very little the last few weeks. Still working on the Hufflepuff crest in cross stitch, which is WAAY more work than anticipated.

1) I tend to do pen-then-colour, but the other way round works fine too!
3) Texture is what stops real life from looking like an anime. It's the marks-that-aren't-outlines that make fur different from stone. In the case of pen-and-watercolour, you can make these marks with either. They're hella hard work to get right, but look great when you do!
4) NO :black101:

Desaturing is making a colour less coloured without making it lighter or darker:

Outside photoshop, it means adding a neutral colour to take some of the edge off your colours - I use payne's grey a lot for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I've been playing around with water colors a bit in krita, i have no idea what im doing

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

lofi posted:

1) I tend to do pen-then-colour, but the other way round works fine too!
3) Texture is what stops real life from looking like an anime. It's the marks-that-aren't-outlines that make fur different from stone. In the case of pen-and-watercolour, you can make these marks with either. They're hella hard work to get right, but look great when you do!
4) NO :black101:

Desaturing is making a colour less coloured without making it lighter or darker:

Outside photoshop, it means adding a neutral colour to take some of the edge off your colours - I use payne's grey a lot for this.

3) sounds like I got a youtube search to do and some studying in general
4) sounds like I need to order paints :ohdear: but actually :dance:

Thank you, this helps, I think. Best is of course to paint more. In two weeks I will be on the campsite for two weeks without a computer and just be knittin 'n drawin (and grillin 'n eatin, France is awesome for that)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

My arches watercolour pad and block came through the mail today, so I guess I'll be spending the weekend figuring out what the fuss is all about and which type I like better. probably block because I'm lazy and don't want to stretch it if I don't have to.

Also I have my nice paints, so now I just need to work on the not being poo poo at painting part.

I searched for this post as I am curious about your trip report. :justpost: whatever you made!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Haven't done anything with it yet! When I do I'll definitely post it here.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I've been in a serious funk over my art and it's hard for me at the moment to not constantly second guess every single stroke, but I enjoy making things and I want to cut that brain bullshit out. Doodling more will help, I hope.

In the name of starting that effort, I drew the first thing I could think of, which turned out to be this bunny person exhausted from boxing practice.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

I knocked out this horse in a couple hours in Photoshop.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 10, 2019

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

More composition and color study. Started working on a couple new brushes too. I’d like to add some different textures to my work.

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
https://twitter.com/EWSchneiderArts/status/1144260259999100929

https://twitter.com/EWSchneiderArts/status/1149113304142548993

Here's a pair of pictures that I'm pretty happy with.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron posted:

4) sounds like I need to order paints :ohdear: but actually :dance:

Go here:
https://www.schmincke.de/en/products/watercolours/horadam-aquarell.html
download the brochure. When I bought the 36/48 box, it came with a request card for the paper version, they send me that.
Read the brochure.
Visit an online store and load your basket with all you want now you know more about the paints. Depending on your location, weep or weep harder at the total price. Order anyway.
Receive paints.
Be in watercolour heaven with the best paints in the world on the Arches paper we discussed before.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Sketch that I'm not happy with:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I'm mad

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^ That's amazing. ^^^

Ever feel like you have officially overworked a project?

Here is my Arnold render:

Here is my Keyshot render:

Which one is better?

Earlier versions can be found here.

In case you were wondering what was different. I modeled the polaroids and table in 3d and lit the scene in 3d. Also added the date stamp for the band name "Small Sins".

Also the moon and font is different from the last version. That last part I am still unsure about since I like both the moons / fonts.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

sigma 6 posted:

Which one is better?

I prefer the second one, I think it looks more like it's placed in real life and it's a photo I can pick up. The colors feel more washed out and like they are affected by real, moody light. Maybe add some very slight effects/texture to the text in places to fully make it look like part of the photo?

This is great and speaks to me on a personal level. I really like how you laid it out like a faux-cork board.

I doodled a quick vampire/orc/something person before bed:

I really need tutorials/references for clothing folds. Preferably something that's not overcomplicated, I really need to learn the basic physics of it all.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

if only "cloth" were easily available. ah, we can but dream...

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

You are mad about the correct things and I feel comforted to see them so eloquently presented.

Also you're a genius, because I can't believe no-ones made direct biometric live-feed Coloncams yet. I can see it taking off! Post your diet, your butt temperature, temperament, talk about exactly how full of poo poo other people with the cam are, etc.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

lofi posted:

if only "cloth" were easily available. ah, we can but dream...

I actually don't own any of the fancy big scarves I love drawing. :v:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

August

Not too happy with how this one turned out.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ritznit posted:

I actually don't own any of the fancy big scarves I love drawing. :v:

knitting project!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Still doing pixel art on the side, too:

Some animation tests for profiles of my game protagonist, for use during dialogue.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Shinmera posted:

Some animation tests for profiles of my game protagonist, for use during dialogue.

these are very impressive, love the animation work on the bounce on the hair, good small touch that really makes it come alive, would you consider adding a breathing cycle to the animation too? i find that a very small amount of expansion and contraction of the torso (usually just a sine wave with a rest frame and a transition frame so like 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 etc) really goes a long way

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Keetron posted:

knitting project!

Learning how to knit, eh? Now there's an idea.

Shinmera posted:

These are great. I second the bounce being really neat. The blink is a bit too fast and smooth for me considering the rest of the framerate, so to speak, but that is a very small quibble. Your art style translates well into pixel art in general.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a couple of grotesques

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Trying to work through an art rut i've been having recently.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Got tired of thumbnails so I went and did it live

I’m a little meh on it and have started a second one, but I’ve only got two weeks until the show...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

getting more comfortable with this style

edit: im having a very creatively productive day

Al! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 14, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Ritznit posted:

Learning how to knit, eh? Now there's an idea.

There's plenty of tutorials on youtube, I learned through there, googling for basic poo poo like "how to add stitch knitting" and "what's SSP knitting" since I hadn't knitted since the time I had to at school. I found a couple of patterns that didn't seem too difficult and googled/youtube'd terms as I encountered them. It's fantastic learning to see how the construction of, say, a sweater works and thinking "yeah I could do that". Ravelry is a great site for free patterns, whether you love knitting or crotchet!

Lazier option: Aliexpress for cheap (possibly toxic) scarves so you can make your own compositions.

Optional lazy: stock photos. Screw tutorials! They'll just teach you how someone else likes to do this thing, and in the case of cartoony things, is already stylized and several steps removed from reality. That hinders your ability to learn material construction. Drawing from reference, you'll better learn how cloth behaves, and then you can simplify that yourself.

In other news, hippie emo.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Shinmera posted:

Sketch that I'm not happy with:

The composition and tone are okay. The eyes are even more important than usual for a drawing like this but they aren't very detailed. There's not enough distance between the foreground eye and ear and the ear is too large. You should also try practicing with different line widths. Your style works a lot better with the pixel animations, they look pretty good.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Tiberium Friend.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You are mad about the correct things and I feel comforted to see them so eloquently presented.

Also you're a genius, because I can't believe no-ones made direct biometric live-feed Coloncams yet. I can see it taking off! Post your diet, your butt temperature, temperament, talk about exactly how full of poo poo other people with the cam are, etc.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Did not draw, but finally finished this. Now to pick up the drawing, where did I leave that groove?

For another weird little project I am doing, I would like to have three goons pick from a month each: April / May / June and give me some object to work with, please give me a concrete noun? I'll tell you later what it is about, for now the month and noun should do.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 14, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

more work in this style

edit a landscape:

edit cant stop wont stop

Al! fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 15, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Been thinking about kirby and his best animal friend.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1150910557899411456?s=19 I'm trying to teach myself to ink still. I feel like I'm getting closer.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

April box, random concrete noun: Donkey:

I made a weird mistake with the hind legs and only discovered when already inked.