Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I suspect the Switch Lite actually has a worse CPU/GPU in it (equivalent with the lower clockrate of the regular switch when undocked) to keep the costs down, so it not being able to connect to a TV kinda makes sense to me. At least here you have the option of a device that does it all, the regular Switch, instead of the weird limbo state the Vita was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I suspect the Switch Lite actually has a worse CPU/GPU in it (equivalent with the lower clockrate of the regular switch when undocked) to keep the costs down

Oh, almost certainly yes

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Most people have been speculating that it'd have slightly better hardware with the cost savings of fixed joycons, no rumble, and cheapening of hardware.

Nintendo is mum as of a few days ago, I dunno of they've admitted it's a real thing yet or not.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Most people have been speculating that it'd have slightly better hardware with the cost savings of fixed joycons, no rumble, and cheapening of hardware.

Nintendo is mum as of a few days ago, I dunno of they've admitted it's a real thing yet or not.

They announced it today.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I saw that shortly after I posted. Doesn't seem like the GPU has been detailed as identical, upgrade, or downgrade however.

Smaller screen, same res, longer battery life.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If anything it's gonna have the same CPU/GPU just running at the lower clockspeed same as the regular Switch in handheld mode. They're not gonna spend however much money to have Nvidia create entirely new components

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If anything it's gonna have the same CPU/GPU just running at the lower clockspeed same as the regular Switch in handheld mode. They're not gonna spend however much money to have Nvidia create entirely new components

They've changed something about the chip which is supposed to give the Lite a slightly better battery life.

E: though this might be based on pre-announcement speculation

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 11, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yeah this isn't some custom Tegra, it's the same chip without the cooling. I'd be surprised if it even had a fan.

I like the size and the resulting DPI increase, but I'm not expecting a ton from that display at that price. Definitely gonna blow up the library though god dammit why sony this kingdom could be yours

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah this isn't some custom Tegra, it's the same chip without the cooling. I'd be surprised if it even had a fan.

I like the size and the resulting DPI increase, but I'm not expecting a ton from that display at that price. Definitely gonna blow up the library though god dammit why sony this kingdom could be yours

Sony have commitment issues

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah this isn't some custom Tegra, it's the same chip without the cooling.

The chip change is 100% an excuse to solve the hardware vuln that let people homebrew the console, so it won't be the exact same chip. :v:

Saoshyant posted:

And much like the Vita, it can't connect to a TV either.

That poo poo baffles me. One of the final Vita prototypes had an HDMI port. The goddamn Switch's whole gimmick is being able to switch between portable and console. Ugh.

It's specifically an alternate version of the Switch for people who only want to play portable, it's not like the actual Switch that can switch between docked/portable is going away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's the new Pokemon device

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
You can also still pair other controllers to it, so it's not like it's designed to out people without friends.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I know the switch is cool but I was wondering if someone could help me understand PSVitas as I am thinking of buying one.

thank you in advance.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

I know the switch is cool but I was wondering if someone could help me understand PSVitas as I am thinking of buying one.

thank you in advance.

I advise against unless there’s a Vita-exclusive game you can’t live without and even then I’d seriously recommend a Let’s Play.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Literally only buy one if you're comfortable hacking it, if for no other reason than the SD2Vita adapter. The Vita library is surprisingly great but not very deep, so a large part of its value is the fact that it's the best portable thing at its price point that plays PSP and PS1 games practically natively, and can emulate GBA, SNES, Genesis, etc very well. Everything looks loving fantastic on that little OLED display, and the D-pad is great. The face buttons are weirdly small, but you get used to it. It's extremely easy to repair and the parts are cheap.

If you're not going to hack it, just get a Switch Lite. Or just keep an eye out, they're popping up cheap in thrift stores and craigslists all over the place, maybe just buy yourself something nice. Or not, I'm not your mother.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got my vita mainly as a remote PS4 player, but since ios supports remote play and iOS 13 is going to support dual shock 4s, it seems redundant now

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I am guilty of velcro-strapping my vita to a DS4 controller for remote play.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If I have a vita that I want to hack, what instructions should I follow to do it, and what should I buy?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Achmed Jones posted:

If I have a vita that I want to hack, what instructions should I follow to do it, and what should I buy?

https://vita.hacks.guide/

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vita2sd&crid=30KVMN4768O53&sprefix=vita2%2Caps%2C125&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5

If you have a 1000 model with no memory card for some reason, you'll need one. Oh, and a microSD card to put in the thingy. Otherwise, that's it!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Plaitect's guide was never updated for Trinity, but it's released now, so if you have 3.68 - 3.70, you can just look up some guide on a forum somewhere.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
No need, it's up to date now.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Oh, it *was* updated for Trinity. I thought it hadn't been since it still showed "Preparing for Trinity"

Neat.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hacked my vita recently enough using the 3.70 exploit. I'd highly recommend doing it on PC if possible as it's quite tricky on a Mac!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

I advise against unless there’s a Vita-exclusive game you can’t live without and even then I’d seriously recommend a Let’s Play.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Literally only buy one if you're comfortable hacking it, if for no other reason than the SD2Vita adapter. The Vita library is surprisingly great but not very deep, so a large part of its value is the fact that it's the best portable thing at its price point that plays PSP and PS1 games practically natively, and can emulate GBA, SNES, Genesis, etc very well. Everything looks loving fantastic on that little OLED display, and the D-pad is great. The face buttons are weirdly small, but you get used to it. It's extremely easy to repair and the parts are cheap.

If you're not going to hack it, just get a Switch Lite. Or just keep an eye out, they're popping up cheap in thrift stores and craigslists all over the place, maybe just buy yourself something nice. Or not, I'm not your mother.

I just really want to play Persona 4 Golden on my commute to work and outdoors. I'm not comfortable hacking it. Is there another way I can finish playing this amazing game? Also if I do hack a ps vita could I then play Persona 3 portable? or Persona Q/Q2?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Herr Tog posted:

Also if I do hack a ps vita could I then play Persona 3 portable? or Persona Q/Q2?

Yes, no/no

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Herr Tog posted:

I just really want to play Persona 4 Golden on my commute to work and outdoors. I'm not comfortable hacking it. Is there another way I can finish playing this amazing game? Also if I do hack a ps vita could I then play Persona 3 portable? or Persona Q/Q2?

Honestly, you should hack it anyways - sd2vita alone is worth the hack and you'll save a ton of cash on memory cards. Depending of the firmware the hack can be pretty painless. You can still use PSN, use remote play, browse the store and other stuff as normal, plus the Vita is a decent portable emulator machine if you end up going that route. There's no danger of getting banned as long as you stay clear of cheats plugins.

e: p3p is on the psn store, you can download and play it on your vita hacked or not. If you do hack it there's also an undub version of p3p, but :filez: etc

Ignis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 12, 2019

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This all sounds great!

Thank you.

Now if I am buying a PS Vita off the internet where should I not do this? I found an Ebay listing with a PCH-1001 and persona 4 golden. I don't know what the PCH-1001 means in regards for hacking.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Is there any difference between the SD adapters? I noticed some of them have different "versions" and brands but it wouldn't surprise me if they were actually all pretty much the same....

Herr Tog posted:

This all sounds great!

Thank you.

Now if I am buying a PS Vita off the internet where should I not do this? I found an Ebay listing with a PCH-1001 and persona 4 golden. I don't know what the PCH-1001 means in regards for hacking.

The 1000-series is the first-gen Vita (with the OLED display) and the 1 at the end is the region code, so in this case that's a US-market device.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So...I can hack it if I want to?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Herr Tog posted:

This all sounds great!

Thank you.

They're both roughly equally hackable. The main difference is the first model weighs a bit more, has a screen that's slightly higher quality, and has a non-standard usb port, requiring you to buy extra cables.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

So...I can hack it if I want to?

All vitas can be hacked and it's all region free outside of PSN store which is locked to the region you make the account for. You can still play games of any region from other sources, be that physical carts or :filez:

1000 series models require an original Sony memory card in order to hack them initially, 2000 series don't.

All vitas work with SD2Vita but that goes in the gamecard slot, so if you're using that you can't play physical games.

1000 series models with 3G can use PSVSD instead of SD2Vita which frees up your gamecard slot but you have to take the console apart to install it so it's not for everyone.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

History Comes Inside! posted:

All vitas can be hacked and it's all region free outside of PSN store which is locked to the region you make the account for. You can still play games of any region from other sources, be that physical carts or :filez:

A hacked Vita will also allow you to switch accounts without having to do a factory reset, if you want to buy games legit off the PSN from multiple regions.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sony and their proprietary memory cards can suck it. Do SD2Vita if only for no other reason than not giving Sony money for proprietary garbage

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I would say if all you want is a portable P4 Golden machine, you could get away with a 4gb card, except even in that case the failure rate is ridiculous. SD2Vita is mandatory imo.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

having recently purchased and hacked a refurb'd ps vita 1000 and refurb'd 2ds xl, id say the 2ds xl is a better buy overall if you could only afford one of them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

All vitas can be hacked

Well, as long as the firmware isn't too new, right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Even new ones can be force downgraded to a version thats hackable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I'd say find a Vita with firmware 3.60, that's the golden firmware plus the easiest to hack (go to website, install one app so you don't have to visit the website every time, done). The OLED (1000) vs LCD (2000) is a tired argument so just go for whichoever you like, you can hack either of them. (Here's a video comparison. OLED looks prettier, uses its own kind of USB cable, battery lasts about 4-5 hours of moderate use; LCD uses a regular micro USB cable, battery lasts about a couple hours longer than the OLED)

Don't get a physical copy of P4G, sd2vita will take the slot of the game card so you won't be able to use it. Or get it if you're into collecting? :shrug: You can copy the cart to the sd2vita, but it's probably easier to just get it digitally.

Atomizer posted:

Is there any difference between the SD adapters? I noticed some of them have different "versions" and brands but it wouldn't surprise me if they were actually all pretty much the same....

They're functionally the same, but the difference is in the sizes. The v5 (or v 3.0, the white one with black lettering) is the exact size of a cartridge which lets it fit neatly inside the slim models, the others don't fit entirely and you have to leave the lid open. The one that's just a red board is also difficult to extract. tl;dr get the white ones