Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

ShakeZula posted:

The big house is all a mental construct/inside Gabrielle's mind, right? That was the distinct impression I got, but baby David actually being there for Farouk to possess complicates that. In the real world did she have a baby in the mental hospital and then go catatonic again after the events of this episode, leading Xavier to give David up?

I'm very confused.

Xavier usually has a big house or mansion or whatever in his depictions. The strange door she saw out front was the time travel door. My guess is Farouk started loving with the bedroom walls and the baby's face to make her catatonic, since it's red when she screams, the same red recurrent throughout the series and also the red Xavier sees. David stepped in and finished his work for him by accident. Then she's probably dead/catatonic and I'm guessing he gives David up from depression or something.

Pretty sure that was Switch's dad on the TV. Maybe he has time travel powers too. If you listen to what he's saying he sounds like he's giving some sort of warning about something coming.

Codependent Poster posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it all happened.

I missed why she was in the institution in the first place.

Concentration camp

night slime fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So we've seen Farouk can interfere with Switch's time travel powers such as when he met her, and was that the Yellow King lurking in the time travel hall in ep 1? Is it possible he discovered baby David by following Switch and adult David back in time?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love how the guy who plays Charles Xavier is the doofus traitor from Counterpart.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Was that episode boring AF or was it just me?

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

eke out posted:

oh god they're doing the "david meddling with his own past drove his mother crazy" thing aren't they

I feel like that could've partially been it, but it also seem like Future David also accidentally distracted Xavier enough so that Farouk was able to slip in and take total control of Baby David

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Andrew_1985 posted:

:nallears::hf::geno:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Slightly Absurd posted:

I feel like that could've partially been it, but it also seem like Future David also accidentally distracted Xavier enough so that Farouk was able to slip in and take total control of Baby David

yeah i was liveposting, i think it's now clear that he only contributed to her worries that her 'condition' was coming back.

if anything, though, that episode made it seem even more insane that Farouk is effectively walking free today

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 9, 2019

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It's been a minute, but don't we get a glimpse of an older "Charles" in the first season complete with wheelchair as seen from young David's perspective? At that point he's already been hijacked by Farouk and dealing with World's Angriest Boy trauma. Is that the point where Charles turns him over to foster parents? The fact that Farouk was able to find David so quickly makes me wonder if there is a reveal that he played Charles from the beginning just to get to David.

Also, how does older Charles not discover what's going on with his kid who has grown up to wield godlike powers?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I hold the opinion that flashback episodes are bad, and they are especially bad when they provide no new insight or character development to the present story.

Stephanie Corneliussen is stunning and is amazing in Mr Robot, but even she can't make being depressed alone in a house interesting when you know the eventual outcome. It wasn't even interesting visually the way Legion usually is.

Also, did the way that mental powers were conveyed seem amateurish to anyone else? Ripples effects, wooshing noises, transparent ghosts, shadow mist... it felt like a made for tv scifi movie. It was so jarring considering how uniquely Legion normally portrays psychic power/combat... here we had a goofy dark fart creep around a room playing hide and seek.

night slime
May 14, 2014

hatelull posted:

It's been a minute, but don't we get a glimpse of an older "Charles" in the first season complete with wheelchair as seen from young David's perspective? At that point he's already been hijacked by Farouk and dealing with World's Angriest Boy trauma. Is that the point where Charles turns him over to foster parents?

No, I think you just see the wheelchair in that scene with David talking to himself while stuck in a box.

I thought the rippling for Professor X's telepathy was interesting because he's obviously more powerful than both Farouk and David in that respect, and that visual effect being from just his mind seems cool in that context.

The episode seems to imply David caused himself to be put up for adoption, and also showed the way time travel works for the show. Those seem like story progression/reveals.

night slime fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 9, 2019

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Andrew_1985 posted:

Yes. Absolutely.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

rapeface posted:

I hold the opinion that flashback episodes are bad, and they are especially bad when they provide no new insight or character development to the present story.

Stephanie Corneliussen is stunning and is amazing in Mr Robot, but even she can't make being depressed alone in a house interesting when you know the eventual outcome. It wasn't even interesting visually the way Legion usually is.

Also, did the way that mental powers were conveyed seem amateurish to anyone else? Ripples effects, wooshing noises, transparent ghosts, shadow mist... it felt like a made for tv scifi movie. It was so jarring considering how uniquely Legion normally portrays psychic power/combat... here we had a goofy dark fart creep around a room playing hide and seek.

it felt like a bottle episode, like budget limitations were hitting hard or something

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Megillah Gorilla posted:

She's an artist and author for Marvel, I believe, so it's great advertising for them.
She's done two [variant] covers for them, both in the past nine months.

It's way more likely that being cast in Legion opened the door for her to do some art for Marvel, not the other way around. I don't know the turnaround for filming Legion, but she was likely already cast and filming when she did the covers.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

So when exactly is the show meant to be taking place? I had thought that the 70s aesthetic was there to demonstrate the fact that David is an unreliable narrator and that it was actually set in modern day, which explains why everything is such a mismatch with modern technology all over the place.

This episode implies that David was a baby in the 40s so the show actually is set in the 70s? Or is that also part of David being unreliable?

Or is there actually no underlying logic as to when it's set any more and you just have to roll with it?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chalks posted:

So when exactly is the show meant to be taking place? I had thought that the 70s aesthetic was there to demonstrate the fact that David is an unreliable narrator and that it was actually set in modern day, which explains why everything is such a mismatch with modern technology all over the place.

This episode implies that David was a baby in the 40s so the show actually is set in the 70s? Or is that also part of David being unreliable?

Or is there actually no underlying logic as to when it's set any more and you just have to roll with it?

Yes

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does anyone know if the she's a rainbow song has been used in the show before (which plays during the mental hospital release/marriage(?????) scene? I think I've heard it before in this show but I can't remember where, or if I'm making it up.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

double nine posted:

does anyone know if the she's a rainbow song has been used in the show before (which plays during the mental hospital release/marriage(?????) scene? I think I've heard it before in this show but I can't remember where, or if I'm making it up.

it's in the first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ttuMYPwwE8

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I knew I wasn't crazy. Those other people though, hoo boy.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Andrew_1985 posted:

They took 15 minutes of content and stretched it to 45, something that Hawley is, at this point and in my mind, notorious for doing during Legion. It's a delicate balance when you're trying to impart tension and immersion not to completely bore the viewer and in this case, they bored the viewer. Not to mention I was really looking forward to what was coming next and neither the "David fails to save himself" nor the "David caused his own downfall" outcomes are an interesting next step.

Chalks posted:

So when exactly is the show meant to be taking place?
The show has contradicted itself on numerous occasions as to where in time it takes place, leading to my friend's best explanation that the show is, quite simply, "out of time." There is no timeline this is a part of, it's a mush of the entire last 70 or 80 years. Though if you want to be a little more accurate, it's the 60s and 70s taking place in the 10s. Lenny's mention of her dad using the Internet last season meant it was after the 00s but David's mom being from a concentration camp and the aesthetics make it all look like the 70s. It is just out of time.

Edit: Before everyone starts listing other contradictions, also note how many years Melanie's husband, who is absolutely of the 60s free love era, had been frozen. More recently, in this episode we see David's mom reading him Harold and the Purple Crayon which was a 1955 book... 10 years after WW2 ended, so he wasn't born in the 40s.

One more thing to note, apparently Melanie's actress hasn't even been cast in this season. So, uh.... yeah.... that's a thing.

Edit 2: So um... I guess the instruction book on tape on time travel is literally warning you that the further back you try to go, the more likely Farouk the Shadow King is going to gently caress with you? He's just that well known now?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 9, 2019

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Don't really have much to contribute about that episode other than switch losing teeth is disgusting. Last year I had to get some work done and it just freaks me out. Apart from that I assume that's the attempt to change the past failing. I kinda hope they have other uses for Switch later on because otherwise the last 3 episodes have been kind of a dead end.

Apart from the special effects I enjoyed it. Odd episode weird time period shenanigans notwithstanding. I'm a little hazy on when they were in the mind palace and when they were in a real house. Presumably he didn't have cerebro in the hospital and the baby wasn't in her head.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

I love how the guy who plays Charles Xavier is the doofus traitor from Counterpart.

God bless you, that was bugging the gently caress out of me.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I've only ever seen Harry Lloyd play creeps and sociopaths so seeing him be this goddamn adorable was oddly relieving.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was legit surprised that they did admit to him being Charles. Also surprised they did this part of his origin story. Too bad they didn't show him in the Hospital with his bff Erik.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Codependent Poster posted:

I kind of feel like Farouk had some influence over Gabrielle. And him calling David "my beautiful boy" just like she did has to mean something. Maybe he actually does see David as his son and wants him to live? It would make sense since when he found out Syd killed him before they time traveled, he tried to talk her out of going again.

Farouk's entire MO is breaking down people mentally or backing them into a corner until they can only go to him for help. He might want to David to consider Farouk to be his father, but I don't think he sees David as anything more than a useful tool.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DaveKap posted:

The show has contradicted itself on numerous occasions as to where in time it takes place, leading to my friend's best explanation that the show is, quite simply, "out of time." There is no timeline this is a part of, it's a mush of the entire last 70 or 80 years. Though if you want to be a little more accurate, it's the 60s and 70s taking place in the 10s. Lenny's mention of her dad using the Internet last season meant it was after the 00s but David's mom being from a concentration camp and the aesthetics make it all look like the 70s. It is just out of time.

Edit: Before everyone starts listing other contradictions, also note how many years Melanie's husband, who is absolutely of the 60s free love era, had been frozen. More recently, in this episode we see David's mom reading him Harold and the Purple Crayon which was a 1955 book... 10 years after WW2 ended, so he wasn't born in the 40s.

I really like the way they use the incoherent time as an illustration of the fact that David doesn't see the world in the same way as other people, but this episode felt different.

The only reason I noticed it in this episode is because it was so precisely and coherently set in the late 40s/early 50s - unlike the rest of the show where it's intentionally ambiguous or has obvious elements that reveal its unreliability. This episode was all played very straight which makes the inconsistency a bit awkward IMO.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Can somebody bring me up to speed regarding why Professor X was in a loony bin decades ago? I don’t ever recall that from the canon.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Because it's like poetry. It rhymes.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Can somebody bring me up to speed regarding why Professor X was in a loony bin decades ago? I don’t ever recall that from the canon.
He killed a dude with his mind (and probably did/saw some other awful things in the infantry) and needed to retreat from life for a bit.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

It does line up with comics pretty well. Gabrielle Haller in the comics was a catatonic holocaust survivor in a mental institution, and Xavier used his powers to help her, and fell in love. But Xavier was just visiting the institution, and not committed

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

It's also neat, insofar as he arguably had himself committed because he was a sane man who had just confronted the mechanized insanity of the modern world.

There were a lot of layers in the nod to Heidegger, even beyond the obvious connection between the quote itself, and David's attempts to alter and fix the course of his life.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 10, 2019

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason I always thought Moira Taggart was Legion's mother, but then again I haven't read the comics in years.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Your Gay Uncle posted:

For some reason I always thought Moira Taggart was Legion's mother, but then again I haven't read the comics in years.

No thats a different, less prominent son of Xavier called Proteus. Id see why you'd be confused though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Chuck did a lot of fuckin' you see. At least when Logan does it, it's a fun tumble in the hay, Xavier makes it this big thing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Xavier also first met Magneto in the mental hospital, it's a big deal in his origin story so it's kinda cool to see them reference it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Unless they retconned something along the way, Proteus wasn't Xavier's son. I looked it up and he was Moira and Charles's kid in the Ultimate Marvel line, I guess?

The other reason people might associate Legion/David and Moira is that Legion spent a significant amount of time in the first decade or so of his appearances living on Muir Island and being treated/cared for by Moira.

Also in the comics Xavier was (much like in the show) in a sanitarium when he met David's mom Gabrielle Haller, but as I think was mentioned earlier, unlike the show she was insitutionalized post-camp-imprisonment and he was there doing psychic therapy with the victims of the Holocaust. Also unlike the show, they never got married and Xavier didn't even know he had a kid until young adult Legion showed up.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
So comics Xavier was loving one of his patients in the mental health unit 😬

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
xavier is a real piece of poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

beanieson posted:

So comics Xavier was loving one of his patients in the mental health unit 😬

It has been noted before, but Professer X is a Jerk.

Like he's literally the worst.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

This was actually addressed in the original comics, though in a way that makes it clear that it's a Chris Claremont comic from 30+ years ago:

(Uncanny X-Men #161, the first mention/appearance of Gabrielle Haller)

(immediately after this kiss she is kidnapped by Nazis who know that she is the key to finding all of Hitler's lost gold. Magneto and Xavier team up to rescue her from Baron Von Strucker and his band of underground Nazis and the flashback ends)

She's next mentioned about a year later in New Mutants #1, where she appears for one page:

And then this plotline is dropped and left dangling for twenty four issues because that's how Chris Claremont plotted.

Oh yeah I forgot, because it was the mid-1980s, David saw his adoptive dad he thought was his real dad get killed by Arab Terrorists and "got Autism" from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Only watched the first episode but I have a question on Switch. Is she speaking different languages like Farouke? I know I could hear some Japanese, but when the sub titles said "robot", I did not hear "Robotto" when she spoke.