Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.

McGavin posted:

My dad had the opportunity to buy 60 acres of what is now downtown Richmond for $1,000 per acre.

That opportunity might come back when it's all underwater :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I bet you have a very interesting take on the area. I grew up in Ocean Park / Crescent Beach in the 90's / 00's and I could see why people moved out there at that time (like my parents from Van). Not a ton of development yet, but somewhat well thought out communities surrounded by the beach and forests.

We used to drive down 24th and go ride bikes in where Morgan crossing is now, it's really sad to see them level that whole area for the most garbage quality town homes. Every story I hear about the area just makes it more sad. The GF's parents live in a new condo building in that area after downsizing from selling their Delta home at market peak, they seem happy but IMO it was a terrible trade off. They do enjoy going on about "how hard they worked for their money" though, so maybe that makes them happy :iiam:

The one chuckle I get is my brother and his friends ghost drove an older dying MR2 with a rock on the gas pedal into the giant hole that would now become the Walmart, so I like to imagine it's still down there haha.

Yeah, there were lots of places that were just bush back in the day, and are now high-density townhouses. The joke of "Morgan Creek" is that isn't actually the name of the stream that rolls through that area. As you might appreciate, the real name, Titman Creek (I am not making that up), didn't quite fit the marketing efforts of the developers of the day.

For Surrey, the biggest problem is the open secret that the developers have bought off city councillors in quiet ways not easily noticed. All one has to do to see that is look at the Morgan Crossing neighbourhood where you have high-density townhouses and condos built right next to the BC Hydro high voltage power lines, in an area with limited bus service and no rail service to anywhere. The entire place is built around transit that doesn't and will never exist in that area, so the car traffic is bananas. It is completely un-walkable because the shops are not pedestrian-sized. Everything commercial is mega-boxes, surrounded by mini-boxes for people to live in. The worst part is that the people around there are convinced that what they are experiencing is some sort of 'lifestyle'. To me, it's a post-suburban hellscape full of the worst attributes of early aughts development thinking. I don't recognize the place I grew up at all, and frankly, care little to return were it not for my parents still residing in the area.

Talking about debris abandoned in the bush, there was a family not far from where I grew up who had a group of sons who had profound intellectual disabilities. They were all grown, but a little bit paranoid about the world around them, but fairly functional. Anyway, they operated a pretty successful farming operation so had a lot of heavy equipment. One day, they decided to get rid of some of their machinery and other debris, so did the logical thing and dug a giant pit in their yard to dump it all in. They filled up the pit, covered it over, and left it. When the place sold (to developers for townhouses, natch), the new owners would have had a hell of a shock when they tried to start digging for their new buildings! They also told us they had rigged the place with explosives in case of break-in, but there were no explosions when they moved, so I'm guessing that all got taken apart (or never existed, but the story is better if it did!)

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is going to be a more certain outcome? Jeffrey Epstein getting away with child sex trafficking or everyone involved with Canadian money laundering getting away scott-free?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

incontinence 100 posted:

What is going to be a more certain outcome? Jeffrey Epstein getting away with child sex trafficking or everyone involved with Canadian money laundering getting away scott-free?

Oh, we all know that no one goes to jail in Canada. We're doing it wrong - we need to start being criminals, too!

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Yeah, there were lots of places that were just bush back in the day, and are now high-density townhouses. The joke of "Morgan Creek" is that isn't actually the name of the stream that rolls through that area. As you might appreciate, the real name, Titman Creek (I am not making that up), didn't quite fit the marketing efforts of the developers of the day.

For Surrey, the biggest problem is the open secret that the developers have bought off city councillors in quiet ways not easily noticed. All one has to do to see that is look at the Morgan Crossing neighbourhood where you have high-density townhouses and condos built right next to the BC Hydro high voltage power lines, in an area with limited bus service and no rail service to anywhere. The entire place is built around transit that doesn't and will never exist in that area, so the car traffic is bananas. It is completely un-walkable because the shops are not pedestrian-sized. Everything commercial is mega-boxes, surrounded by mini-boxes for people to live in. The worst part is that the people around there are convinced that what they are experiencing is some sort of 'lifestyle'. To me, it's a post-suburban hellscape full of the worst attributes of early aughts development thinking. I don't recognize the place I grew up at all, and frankly, care little to return were it not for my parents still residing in the area.

Talking about debris abandoned in the bush, there was a family not far from where I grew up who had a group of sons who had profound intellectual disabilities. They were all grown, but a little bit paranoid about the world around them, but fairly functional. Anyway, they operated a pretty successful farming operation so had a lot of heavy equipment. One day, they decided to get rid of some of their machinery and other debris, so did the logical thing and dug a giant pit in their yard to dump it all in. They filled up the pit, covered it over, and left it. When the place sold (to developers for townhouses, natch), the new owners would have had a hell of a shock when they tried to start digging for their new buildings! They also told us they had rigged the place with explosives in case of break-in, but there were no explosions when they moved, so I'm guessing that all got taken apart (or never existed, but the story is better if it did!)

I recall an episode of X-files like this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

incontinence 100 posted:

Yes

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

incontinence 100 posted:

I recall an episode of X-files like this.

Filmed on location in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

incontinence 100 posted:

In a surprise twist, Conrad Black is involved with both.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Hover posted:

That opportunity might come back when it's all underwater :v:

I heard it already is :laugh:

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Filmed on location in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Got a good chuckle out of me.

Never really thought about the fact that no transit will ever go near there. drat, the place is basically doomed.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Got a good chuckle out of me.

I wasn't sure if anyone would remember that or not. Glad it connected with you.

Never really thought about the fact that no transit will ever go near there. drat, the place is basically doomed.

Yeah, Morgan Heights is pretty messed up. They keep cramming more townhouses in on top of each other, it's just hideous how bad the place has become from a livability perspective. The worst part are the tandem garages that everyone seems to turn into illegal extra rooms / offices / bedrooms. We were the only person we saw in the complex we rented in that a) didn't have metric tons of crap piled to the roof line or b) had converted the space for someone to live in. The slums of the future. Anyone remember Lion Estates from BTTF2? I'm thinking just like that, except in townhouses!

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Isn't that where the first 5 guys opened? Fortunately I don't ever have to go there again.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

incontinence 100 posted:

Isn't that where the first 5 guys opened? Fortunately I don't ever have to go there again.

There is a 5 Guys there, not sure it it was the first (I'm assuming you mean in Canada or BC?) but it was the first one I had ever been too. Good burgers, especially considering the nearby alternatives.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apparently the first McDonalds in Canada is the one in Richmond across the street from the City Hall.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

It is remarkable how much Surrey has hosed over White Rock. In White Rock you have a fairly traditional, old small town downtown, and of course Surrey has strangled it by ringing the whole thing with lazily designed big box strip malls. White Rock has done the smart thing to try to counter that effect by pivoting to allowing higher density towers to try to bring in more population and life into the downtown, but I think I heard that a new anti-development council was elected in the last election, so who knows if White Rock will be able to pull off their attempt at keeping their downtown alive.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Doesn't help that the pier broke so there is no reason for White Rock to exist anymore.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't understand the appeal of living in White Rock. Yes there's a nice beach and it's waterfront but there's also a cargo train running right in front of that view. Never mind scheduling your entire life around counterflow lanes.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

White Rock has itself to blame for making it a rich, old people community that doesn't stick around for half the year. Lots of snowbirds live there and the entire town is a ghost town for the winter. Everyone has to find work in the service industry elsewhere until they reopen.

I went down there the day after labour day and there wasn't a single business or restaurant open.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

incontinence 100 posted:

I don't understand the appeal of living in White Rock. Yes there's a nice beach and it's waterfront but there's also a cargo train running right in front of that view. Never mind scheduling your entire life around counterflow lanes.

Hence old people who retire there.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lmao holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Lildragonfruit/status/1147036500732723202

(Also how on earth does the famous '5 kids 1 condo' guy have a spare room in his place to rent out with 5 kids?)

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 10, 2019

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

lmao holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Lildragonfruit/status/1147036500732723202

(Also how on earth does the famous '5 kids 1 condo' guy have a spare room in his place to rent out with 5 kids?)

:bisonyes:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I like that you have to buy groceries, and cook for him and his kids but also still provide your own food otherwise.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I was very confused when I drove through maple ridge last week and found a homeless encampment with its own security fencing surrounding the place, security checkpoint with guards, and a very nice handbuilt two-story cedar shake cabin in the middle which harkened back to '40s west coast squatters.

:wtc:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It’s so good. I think my favourite is “Your own bathroom (when the kids aren’t here (which is half the time (because they’re with my ex wife)))

Also this reply

https://twitter.com/bcmariamakiling/status/1148646344438865920?s=20
https://twitter.com/bcmariamakiling/status/1148788659623120896?s=20

Certainly couldn’t go live with their mother like they do half the time already

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 10, 2019

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe Jennifer Maiko Bradshaw can give him a hand.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Dude would definitely only accept an application from a woman and then would definitely use the power imbalance to assault her.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

incontinence 100 posted:

I grew up not in white rock proper but close by and as far as the 90's/early 00's were concerned it was basically peak suburbia. My father commuted to West 4th from there every day for 25 years, and while he made this decision so his family could live the life they wanted, he made it very clear to us that we should think long and hard about living in a place where the commute was an hour or more.

He definitely thinks it was worth it, but not everyone would. A lot of the value they got is simply not possible to find anymore. They bought their house for 225k ish, bordering on a park in a quiet neighbourhood a 10 minute walk from the beach and an hour to downtown.

As far as white Rock Beach goes, the trains are infrequent, the winters had movie theaters and winter beach walks, and the summers were so bumpin it made you forget about the last 8 months haha, a true beach town.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Rime posted:

I was very confused when I drove through maple ridge last week and found a homeless encampment with its own security fencing surrounding the place, security checkpoint with guards, and a very nice handbuilt two-story cedar shake cabin in the middle which harkened back to '40s west coast squatters.

:wtc:

It's been on the news repeatedly for years. They basically made it into a prison with the makeshift fencing and guards. They block people from entering the site, notably harm reduction workers.

There are A LOT more living in the bush and in Mission.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 10, 2019

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

I grew up not in white rock proper but close by and as far as the 90's/early 00's were concerned it was basically peak suburbia. My father commuted to West 4th from there every day for 25 years, and while he made this decision so his family could live the life they wanted, he made it very clear to us that we should think long and hard about living in a place where the commute was an hour or more.

He definitely thinks it was worth it, but not everyone would. A lot of the value they got is simply not possible to find anymore. They bought their house for 225k ish, bordering on a park in a quiet neighbourhood a 10 minute walk from the beach and an hour to downtown.

As far as white Rock Beach goes, the trains are infrequent, the winters had movie theaters and winter beach walks, and the summers were so bumpin it made you forget about the last 8 months haha, a true beach town.

I always envied the kids who grew up in Ocean Park because the houses were so close together that kids were everywhere. We lived on acreage near what is now Morgan Creek and I think had one neighbour kid the whole time we grew up. Anyone else was kilometres away at least, assuming you wanted anything to do with them.

I agree with you on the value - now everything in White Rock is millions of dollars, and completely unaffordable to families that used to be able to live there. Yet again, the Boomers have wrecked everything, facilitated by the foreign money. The whole logic of 'drive until you qualify' just doesn't hold anymore...not when you have to move to Hope, and then what, commute 2.5 hours each direction? I might as well commute to Seattle, which I would if I had US citizenship. Traffic out of South Surrey/White Rock is also one hell of a lot worse than it was, even in the early aughts when I did the commute to 33rd and Oak Street, let alone downtown.

Did they ever sort out the coal train dust issue? I remember that being a huge deal for a time.

I'll do an effort post on White Rock if people are interested...it's a bit of an anachronism now, but they are now such a fiscal basket case that Surrey wants nothing to do with them.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'll do an effort post on White Rock if people are interested...it's a bit of an anachronism now, but they are now such a fiscal basket case that Surrey wants nothing to do with them.

Always interested in perspectives on my home-area.

I live in the Ocean Park region (with my parents :unsmith:) cause the rents in Vancouver are so goddamn insane. The 2hr commute is my life, again. The area is changing too, as houses get bought and either sit empty or get knocked down and have mega mansions built in their place. All the trees are disappearing one by one. :smith:

Morgan Crossing used to be so nice, family friends had a farm out there. Now, everytime I'm over on that side of town, I'm more and more horrified at what an urban sprawl its becoming.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Snuffman posted:

I live in the Ocean Park region (with my parents :unsmith:) cause the rents in Vancouver are so goddamn insane. The 2hr commute is my life, again. The area is changing too, as houses get bought and either sit empty or get knocked down and have mega mansions built in their place. All the trees are disappearing one by one. :smith:

Morgan Crossing used to be so nice, family friends had a farm out there. Now, everytime I'm over on that side of town, I'm more and more horrified at what an urban sprawl its becoming.

:sever: Move somewhere else jfc

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

:sever: Move somewhere else jfc

Hey, its 2 hours there and back! :haw:

:smithicide:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Oh I thought it was 2+2, 2 hours per day total can be dealt with

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I always envied the kids who grew up in Ocean Park because the houses were so close together that kids were everywhere. We lived on acreage near what is now Morgan Creek and I think had one neighbour kid the whole time we grew up. Anyone else was kilometres away at least, assuming you wanted anything to do with them.

Did they ever sort out the coal train dust issue? I remember that being a huge deal for a time.

Yeah, that was us. It's hard not to go on a nostalgia trip about it but those days are long gone.

Not sure about the coal dust, people stopped putting signs up after a few years I think?

Snuffman posted:

I get it. A lot of people I know stayed around for a long time because their parents had the space to accommodate them, their rent was very cheap at home (or free), and it was a level of living that is far beyond what the vast majority of our generation will ever get, possibly ever.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

Oh I thought it was 2+2, 2 hours per day total can be dealt with

It’s at the max end of what anyone should want to do. My commute is two hours on transit, and I can’t fathom how people who do the 90 minute each way trip daily do it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

It’s at the max end of what anyone should want to do. My commute is two hours on transit, and I can’t fathom how people who do the 90 minute each way trip daily do it.

When I crashed my car and couldn't afford to replace it I learned that commuting to and from work 2 hours on the bus is much more pleasant and productive than driving, after the advent of phones and cheap data.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Mantle posted:

When I crashed my car and couldn't afford to replace it I learned that commuting to and from work 2 hours on the bus is much more pleasant and productive than driving, after the advent of phones and cheap data.

Hope you're billing for those hours.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Ah, the Canadian Dream. :canada:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

West coast express is chill mode commuting if you have it as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I agree with you on the value - now everything in White Rock is millions of dollars, and completely unaffordable to families that used to be able to live there. Yet again, the Boomers have wrecked everything, facilitated by the foreign money. The whole logic of 'drive until you qualify' just doesn't hold anymore...not when you have to move to Hope, and then what, commute 2.5 hours each direction? I might as well commute to Seattle, which I would if I had US citizenship. Traffic out of South Surrey/White Rock is also one hell of a lot worse than it was, even in the early aughts when I did the commute to 33rd and Oak Street, let alone downtown.

I'd be keen to see a WR effort post. My parents still live in the area and I know a bit I guess. The land area of the town is so drat small that I assumed the city has always had money troubles, but their recent densifying plan was a good way around that, as they could increase property taxes and spread things around more so that people aren't freaking out so much about higher taxes. Now of course you have the new anti-development council so who knows what their money plan is.

As stated the area used to be affordable. In the 90s you could get a nice house for 300k and a stellar one with an ocean view for 500k. Nowadays White Rock is one of the nooks of the Fraser Valley where you live if you have a fortune and don't want to live in Vancouver, and those 500k houses are now $3M+. The lots are big and all those old beach bungalows are being torn down in favour of high end mansions.

Politically White Rock is becoming more interesting. It used to be a solidly Reform/Conservative safe seat in the 90s, but demographics must be changing, with more younger voters, because it has swung to the Liberals with the recent Trudeaumania. In the upcoming election that seat will actually be in play.