Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

I have a few questions about Black Cat, though:
1) Presumably the original deed to Manhattan is from that one time Strange & Clea went back to colonial times, right?
2) Is Xander The Merciless an original character or does he actually show up in some old back issue somewhere?

1)It wasn't... but it is now.
2) Xander actually shows up the issue after Doc and Clea return from colonial times, in Doctor Strange #19, and sticks around for a couple issues to get his rear end whipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

1)It wasn't... but it is now.
2) Xander actually shows up the issue after Doc and Clea return from colonial times, in Doctor Strange #19, and sticks around for a couple issues to get his rear end whipped.

Does...does this mean I win a No-Prize?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I don't think I have the authority do so :(

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Black Cat #2 continued the strong start, great stuff. I'm really enjoying how much personality everyone has, which is a hallmark of MacKay's writing, and the visuals were top-notch in the Sanctum Sanctorum. The only knock against this issue was the lack of another Nao Fuji backup. :3:

Al Ewing crushed it on the Weapon Hex Annual, which is both an excellent story so far, and an incredible collection of portmanteaus and event name puns. Plus, the Valkyrie teaser in WotR Omega #1 was great stuff too and I was really impressed with the whole issue, the teasers were very interesting.

Echoing that the MJ plot was really clever as a way for her to shine in ASM #25. Also, that 2099 reveal was genuinely surprising!

Strong week so far!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anybody read that Weapon Plus book?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
black cat still fun but good lord please no more covers that direct your eyes straight into her boobs

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anybody read that Weapon Plus book?

Eh, just kind of a low-wattage, bloody team-up book. Hard not to imagine that were it written even ten years ago, Cap would spend the whole thing angry as hell about how many people get chopped up.

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So ASM #25 came out today and it was amazing.

We got some great followup regarding the Lizard, had MJ get a chance to shine, a bunch of great backup stories, including a team-up with JJJ, what looks to be setup for another Spider-Man 2099 book, as well as a delightfully bonkers one apparently written by a bot (no really, that's what they said).

I'm interested in what the ending of the main story means, since Kindred seems to be suggesting he'll be going after the rest of the Spider-Family. Is he going to be showing up in their books, too?

Speaking of Spider-Family books, Miles Morales and Black Cat both continue to be splendid. Kinda :ohdear: on what's going on with Miles

I have a few questions about Black Cat, though:
1) Presumably the original deed to Manhattan is from that one time Strange & Clea went back to colonial times, right?
2) Is Xander The Merciless an original character or does he actually show up in some old back issue somewhere?

I couldn't agree more. I feel like the Spencer run of ASM really picked up with Hunted and I'm super interested to see what's next. Also, the bot written story got more than a few honest laughs from me.

I mean...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

black cat still fun but good lord please no more covers that direct your eyes straight into her boobs

my name is j. scott campbell and i'm here to say

i draw titties in a real big way

e: actually this raises a question i've had, how much say does a writer or interior artist actually have in the covers of the books?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Metalshark posted:

Plus, the Valkyrie teaser in WotR Omega #1 was great stuff too and I was really impressed with the whole issue, the teasers were very interesting.

Valkyrie was the best part of the issue, looking forward to that book. It seems like they set up Daredevil to lead directly into Zdarsky's run.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel Last of Us.
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1149074687017783298

radlum
May 13, 2013
Both Thor and WotR Omega were pretty good. I was glad to see Lisa again and I hope she is part of Jane's supporting cast in her book. I hope the batons show up in Chip's Daredevil run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kabraxis posted:

I couldn't agree more. I feel like the Spencer run of ASM really picked up with Hunted and I'm super interested to see what's next. Also, the bot written story got more than a few honest laughs from me.

I mean...

radlum
May 13, 2013
ASM 25 was great overall. Can't believe Spencer got me to believe he can do a good job again, but he has proven himself with ASM so far.

That bot story was great, I loved Ben Uncle and the pigeon thing. I hope Dan Hipp gets more mainstream work, I love his art style.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

"We'll just make our own DCeased! With blackjack... And hookers!"

edit: oh never mind, it's just a main universe event, not some side thing...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm kind of enh on Ed Brisson, but that's not a bad character lineup.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

about time Marvel did something pro-vaccination

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

"We'll just make our own DCeased! With blackjack... And hookers!"

edit: oh never mind, it's just a main universe event, not some side thing...

They've also announced a new Marvel Zombies thing

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Alaois posted:

e: actually this raises a question i've had, how much say does a writer or interior artist actually have in the covers of the books?
None, in my case. Editorial handles them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I follow Francis Manapul on Instagram and whenever he talks about cover submissions he talks about sending them and discussing with editorial so it sounds like DC works the same way.

Also, Manapul is an absolute must-follow. For any fan or artist even slightly interested in the creation of comic book art he does these awesome behind-the-scenes videos of his process. And since he typically does all the art for his books, pencils through colouring, you can see every step.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That's always what I assumed, thanks!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

“Wolverine + Captain America: Weapon Plus” wasn’t anything great, but I give them credit for adding Brute Force, Venom and Luke Cage into the Weapon Plus mix. Let’s get weird.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

So I really liked the latest issue of Aaron's Avengers, and for weird reasons, but I thought it was worth writing down. It's basically a downtime issue that mostly revolves around the Avengers soaking in a hot tub - but notably, they start off with just Tony and Thor, and then Cap is persuaded to get naked and join them, and they all luxuriate together.

The first part of the issue has so much thrumming erotic subtext between Cap, Tony and Thor, I almost didn't believe I was reading a Marvel comic. Strong approval of Aaron's willingness to introduce those vibes.

Between that and Jen flirting with Blade, the whole issue reminded me of one of those 80s Claremont comics where everyone's just a little extra about flirting with each other and maybe someone gets naked thanks to a contrivance. In like, a really fun way, though? It was nice to see a writer not being afraid to introduce that kind of soapy, cheesecakey feel between male characters. I was instantly reminded of Tom King's recent Batman issue where Lois and Catwoman get naked in a hot tub together, while Clarke and Bruce stoically play chess, and the whole thing just feels like a dude who's very comfortable dropping this softcore cheesecake stuff between women but is intensely protective of his male characters' straightness and non-eroticism.

It was cool. Aaron's good, and after an uneven start I think his Avengers is becoming a really satisfying ensemble cast in a way so few "team" books manage.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

So I really liked the latest issue of Aaron's Avengers, and for weird reasons, but I thought it was worth writing down. It's basically a downtime issue that mostly revolves around the Avengers soaking in a hot tub - but notably, they start off with just Tony and Thor, and then Cap is persuaded to get naked and join them, and they all luxuriate together.

The first part of the issue has so much thrumming erotic subtext between Cap, Tony and Thor, I almost didn't believe I was reading a Marvel comic. Strong approval of Aaron's willingness to introduce those vibes.

Between that and Jen flirting with Blade, the whole issue reminded me of one of those 80s Claremont comics where everyone's just a little extra about flirting with each other and maybe someone gets naked thanks to a contrivance. In like, a really fun way, though? It was nice to see a writer not being afraid to introduce that kind of soapy, cheesecakey feel between male characters. I was instantly reminded of Tom King's recent Batman issue where Lois and Catwoman get naked in a hot tub together, while Clarke and Bruce stoically play chess, and the whole thing just feels like a dude who's very comfortable dropping this softcore cheesecake stuff between women but is intensely protective of his male characters' straightness and non-eroticism.

It was cool. Aaron's good, and after an uneven start I think his Avengers is becoming a really satisfying ensemble cast in a way so few "team" books manage.

I think this is an issue with Tom King, you know, one that I think plays out in interesting ways in his better stuff and really embarrassing ways in his worst, about what kinds of vulnerabilities are allowed to show up in the veneer of masculinity, and which perimeters of masculinity have to be safeguarded by the writer at all costs. I think part of what caught peoples' attention about King at first was precisely that he even ventured into that territory at all-- both Vision and to a lesser extent Mister Miracle are all about wounded or damaged masculinity-- but perhaps as time goes on it's easier to see to what extent his conception of this topic is sort of pathological overall (see Heroes in Crisis).

And I think this is an issue that's endemic to superhero comics and has been for a long time-- if a man is allowed to be shown dropping their guard, it's in the purpose of serving tragedy. But Claremont, you might agree, is fascinating in large part because in his ultra-horny approach to superhero comics, men are also privy to eroticized gaze, they can also drop the veil because it feels good and because they love and desire other desirable people too. Throwing Lois Lane and Catwoman in a hot tub is a treat for an imagined straight adolescent male reader, a figure that I think DC and Marvel have over the decades developed a pretty fixed conception of-- throwing Bruce and Wayne in a hot tub is for a reader or an author that I think the broader culture of comics has more difficulty imagining.

I think about this a lot because I feel that despite decades of snarky commentary on the queer subtext of superhero comics, there have not been a lot of good queer superhero comics, and I believe a lot of that comes down to the hosed up ways of approaching vulnerability touched on above? I bounced off of Aaron's Avengers pretty early on, but what you're describing sounds really interesting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ngl i didn't read any queer subtext in that hot tub scene at all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Iron Man: "Ok, just please stop playing with your hammer in front of me."
Thor: "The God of Thunder makes no promises."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess ive just heard enough masturbation jokes between straight guys that didnt read like that to me

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

site posted:

Skwirl posted:

Iron Man: "Ok, just please stop playing with your hammer in front of me."
Thor: "The God of Thunder makes no promises."

I read it more as a fun example of non-toxic "locker room" talk personally, but I can see how others interpreted it as queer subtext. Frankly, just the three main Avengers dudes being comfortable naked in a hot tub together is notable, but it was a very large tub that they sat very far apart from one another in and they ensured that they were covered at all times, which is below bro-level performative camaraderie in a locker room.

Honestly, after serving in WWII Steve Rogers should have no issues with communal bathing etc.

EDIT: if you compare this issue to how overt Aaron was with Shulkie previously, I doubt he was using it for any "message", as he generally isn't subtle with things like Jane Fosthor vs Titania etc.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 12, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Metalshark posted:

I read it more as a fun example of non-toxic "locker room" talk personally, but I can see how others interpreted it as queer subtext. Frankly, just the three main Avengers dudes being comfortable naked in a hot tub together is notable, but it was a very large tub that they sat very far apart from one another in and they ensured that they were covered at all times, which is below bro-level performative camaraderie in a locker room.

Honestly, after serving in WWII Steve Rogers should have no issues with communal bathing etc.

There's a lot of homo-eroticism in straight men locker talk. Why do you think it became a thing for a while for straight guys to keep saying "no-homo?"

Steve Rogers served with gay soldiers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Metalshark posted:

EDIT: if you compare this issue to how overt Aaron was with Shulkie previously, I doubt he was using it for any "message", as he generally isn't subtle with things like Jane Fosthor vs Titania etc.

yeah, i guess its just from personal experience having gone skinny dipping in lakes with friends and not having any inclination of gently caress them (this was before i accpted i was trans obv), and watching enough anime where men sitting in a communal bath naked is just normal japanese culture, 3 guys lounging around naked is no longer the realm of explicit homoerotic storytelling to me

Skwirl posted:

does that make steve gay by osmosis or something

site fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 12, 2019

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Skwirl posted:

There's a lot of homo-eroticism in straight men locker talk. Why do you think it became a thing for a while for straight guys to keep saying "no-homo?"

Yes, I was referring to locker room talk and how it is frankly gayer than this scene was to me. The fact that the Avengers weren't falling over themselves to declare themselves straighter than a Hawkeye arrow was still notable, sadly.

It's a cool scene, but not one I would hold up as more than a small victory.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

does that make steve gay by osmosis or something

No it's just something I think people forget.

https://bookriot.com/2018/07/27/marvels-first-gay-couple-arnie-and-michael-a-love-story/

They even took a small part of Arnie Roth's backstory and gave it to Bucky in the movies. In the comics Bucky was significantly younger than Cap at the start of WW2, so Arnie was actually the friend that protected pre-vita-rays Rogers from bullies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just felt like a weird thing to bring up as a counter-argument or whatever in that context. like, yes, and?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have to be honest, the art in Black Cat, especially her costume, is really not my thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If people are praising black cat I may have to pick it up. She was always one of my favourite supporting characters.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Monaghan posted:

If people are praising black cat I may have to pick it up. She was always one of my favourite supporting characters.

I'm really enjoying Felicia* getting the chance to shine beyond an arc here and there, or an occasional spotlight issue, and it's filling that action & comedy niche for me now that Mr & Mrs X has sadly ended.

*The supporting characters are also great.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Metalshark posted:

I'm really enjoying Felicia* getting the chance to shine beyond an arc here and there, or an occasional spotlight issue, and it's filling that action & comedy niche for me now that Mr & Mrs X has sadly ended.

*The supporting characters are also great.

I like this Doctor Korpse guy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Monaghan posted:

Do it, it's good, and a bestseller. And a goon project, to boot.

Also, the preview for Life Story #5 dropped.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I really wasn't expecting to see Morlun here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wanderer posted:

I really wasn't expecting to see Morlun here.

Makes sense, though - JMS' run on Spidey in the 2000s was one of the hottest things going at the time, and Life Story does seem to be drawing on the comics that are coming out during the years it's depicting.

Now I wonder if the end of the issue is gonna be Peter getting young again by selling his marriage to Mephisto.