Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

What are some creative ways to require that a boss is defeated at the end of a course? I got a bowser on a fortress bridge, and I want to deck the player out with items and make them fight, but that makes it trivial to just absorb a hit and walk through him to get to the axe. I tried the obvious thing and gave him a key and blocked off the axe behind a door, but it looks dumb when it makes bowser immediately respawn, and that was my last door that I kind of wanted to use for something else. A clear condition would be great if I didn't have to get rid of the checkpoint to add one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The Lobster posted:

Dicked around and made this level, shouldn't be too hard. I'm aiming for Normal Endless as usual.

Fauxkey-Pokey is an original character do not steal :argh:

Seriously though I'm excited to play it.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

So, I made a basic, kind of tough level.

Spikey Donuts
QTB-XBQ-TSG

A friend was playing SMM2 on Twitch, so I suggested he try my level. Now, this guy isn't good at Mario. Like, he's really bad. He was struggling hard on this level. The people in the chat told me I made it too difficult and empty. I told them empty is how your soul feels after trying the level 40 times and still failing, but they convinced me to redo the level.

So, I changed a bunch of stuff. Took out a lot of the instadeath stuff, made it a little more forgiving.

Then I changed the back completely.

Donut Surprise
633-NDK-B2H

I like it this way, but I still like my original better.

I will get better at these.

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!

GreatGreen posted:

Shells and Spikes
0N3-K71-7PG

My first attempt at a Kaizo level! No shell jumps!

If I could do it, you can definitely do it.

Pretty solid, this is the around my preferred level of difficulty for challenge courses. I could never be bothered to learn spring/shell jumps so I liked the fact they weren’t there.

From a design perspective it didn’t really flow or build on anything, each of those segments could’ve come from a different level and I wouldn’t have noticed. It was basically a couple of difficult jumps stitched together.

The blind spin jump at the end was a little rude, as far as I could tell there’s no real indication you have to spin until it’s far too late.

Overall well done and I’d definitely play more of that difficulty.

Shoot em up
Figured I’d try this while I had your maker id open. Wasn’t particularly engaging because all you had to do was hold right and mash shoot, there wasn’t a whole lot of interaction. The comments seem to like it though so I guess it fits into easy well enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Fauxkey-Pokey is an original character do not steal :argh:

Seriously though I'm excited to play it.

I saw someone do a fake pokey with a wiggler stack and a spiny on top. The bottom didn't look right, but everything else jiggled alot like you'd want.

dizzywhip posted:

What are some creative ways to require that a boss is defeated at the end of a course? I got a bowser on a fortress bridge, and I want to deck the player out with items and make them fight, but that makes it trivial to just absorb a hit and walk through him to get to the axe. I tried the obvious thing and gave him a key and blocked off the axe behind a door, but it looks dumb when it makes bowser immediately respawn, and that was my last door that I kind of wanted to use for something else. A clear condition would be great if I didn't have to get rid of the checkpoint to add one.

Wildest option? Put a cannon with a muncher in it above the screen. Fill the level to the enemy spawn limit. Then when the boss is killed, the cannon has the extra spawn available to launch the muncher which it does into something that opens the way (typically a bob-bomb that activates something).

That's actually such a good idea I might do it in my next level depending on if I can get it to work right.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 11, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Plebian Parasite posted:

Anyone have a level with no or low plays, I've been mostly using the randomizer, but after bemoaning my own low footprint count I've decided to be the change I wanna see

Throw me some of your levels and I'll give em a shot tonight. I'll just post this one level if you wanna play it- I'm not sure if it's overlooked or what but compared to everything else it has a real low play rate :v:

J-Spot posted:

I liked this one a lot! Really neat use of the POW blocks and feels about the perfect length. I would have liked to see a POW block incorporated in the “boss” room to keep with the theme but that’s a minor nitpick.

Really glad to hear this! I thought about having a boss fight that uses the POW blocks but figured it would just be a Boom Boom or something The one thing I'd redo is give the magikoopa's more stuff to hit with magic. Theme of the level was unwanted brick blocks and they interact with them so I thought it fit thematically :v:

Random Stranger posted:

The Wrecking Ruins
HQQ-0PY-C6G
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

A fun smashing level, but as I played it I was getting a real deja vu feeling.

Im using toaddete

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm up to 400 now. phew.

Random Stranger posted:

Surfin' with Charvaargh
CGF-15N-WDG
By: Phantasium

Interesting idea, but the timing on the charvaarghs put in a situation where I couldn't dodge on multiple occasions. Also, one time I somehow stole a box. No, I don't know how, I just managed to grab a box and jump out of the lava at the same time. I'm assuming it happened because I'm amazing.

I had spent hours building that level and not once did I ever grab a box... until I ran the clear check. By that point I just passed it off as a goof that might happen occasionally because dang it.

I would have left it with 2 Charvaarghs but it meant for that last section there was honestly no threat, but after adding him it made it sometimes a little goofy to be able to dodge all 3. So I just tacked more boxes behind you in moments where it's unclear where they'll spawn and usually if you jump back to those boxes it gives you time... but it can be dicey. I will say that they pose next to no threat if they're not jumping in arcs, so if you can get a couple to just jump from foreground to background right on top of you that won't actually hit unless you touch the top of them.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Anyone have a level with no or low plays, I've been mostly using the randomizer, but after bemoaning my own low footprint count I've decided to be the change I wanna see

St Francis' Folly
LY9-GXB-PDG

I uploaded this last night at a time when not that many people were looking so it's sitting pretty low right now. But it's also an homage to a Tomb Raider level and is pretty long as a result, so I can see why people wouldn't particularly want to, though there's a ton of respawning power ups that shouldn't make it too hard.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
the normal endless mode gives a shocking amount of not garbage levels compared to MM1, which seems strange given how many more levels are probably being made than were on the wii u,

https://randomactsofmario.com/ however is like normal-expert random where every level is creative and thought through.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I had spent hours building that level and not once did I ever grab a box... until I ran the clear check. By that point I just passed it off as a goof that might happen occasionally because dang it.

I'm foreseeing landing in lava, grabbing a crate, and jumping out at the same time as one of the new tricks that will be in every single super expert difficulty level.

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!

Canned Panda posted:

So, I made a basic, kind of tough level.

Spikey Donuts
QTB-XBQ-TSG

A friend was playing SMM2 on Twitch, so I suggested he try my level. Now, this guy isn't good at Mario. Like, he's really bad. He was struggling hard on this level. The people in the chat told me I made it too difficult and empty. I told them empty is how your soul feels after trying the level 40 times and still failing, but they convinced me to redo the level.

So, I changed a bunch of stuff. Took out a lot of the instadeath stuff, made it a little more forgiving.

Then I changed the back completely.

Donut Surprise
633-NDK-B2H

I like it this way, but I still like my original better.

I will get better at these.

Spikey donuts
For a hard course, this wasn’t too bad, the jumps were pretty straightforward. It’s definitely expert / possibly super expert material though, so for someone who isn't particularly good at Mario it's definitely way too hard.

* This spike caught me blind the first time through, though it was early enough it wasn’t a huge deal:

* The blooper in the box was rude and the whole invisible block climb really slowed the whole pace of the level. I don’t think it was needed. I would’ve preferred just turning each invisible block into a donut spike.
* The player probably deserves a checkpoint if they make it to the subworld, the level is fairly long.

Donut surprise
Definitely an easier version of the previous level, this one seems to be firmly expert. The koopas and timing of the thwomp effect made this feel a bit nicer than the previous one. Still not a fan of the invisible block climb.

I tried to skip your subworld and got bonus rewarded for it, that was kind of surprising.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Princeps32 posted:

the normal endless mode gives a shocking amount of not garbage levels compared to MM1, which seems strange given how many more levels are probably being made than were on the wii u,

Yeah loading up endless normal is a trip because 100 mario normal in MM1 was usually filled with the really boring levels, and then easy was just filled with nothing but levels where you win by doing nothing, so everything good was in expert. Before they added super-expert it was really god damned tortuous to find something that was fun to play randomly.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I've updated Madness Manor thanks to feedback.

2RJ-3T0-DTG

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

More Super Mario Maker again! Story mode for an hour and then viewer levels. I give constructive criticism! :)

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Seven Hammers for Seven Brothers

2T1-56L-NKF

Fairly short boss rush-ish level with a bunch of hammer bros in various (semi?) tricky setups. I'll be honest, I mostly made this just for the sake of the title.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Throw me some of your levels and I'll give em a shot tonight. I'll just post this one level if you wanna play it- I'm not sure if it's overlooked or what but compared to everything else it has a real low play rate :v:

Really glad to hear this! I thought about having a boss fight that uses the POW blocks but figured it would just be a Boom Boom or something The one thing I'd redo is give the magikoopa's more stuff to hit with magic. Theme of the level was unwanted brick blocks and they interact with them so I thought it fit thematically :v:

Im using toaddete

I liked this level. The muncher jumps are a little tight, but I had a ton of fun and laughed when I realized I was being chased up the tree. Also I really like the feel of the stage, kinda gave me a Mario Land 2 vibe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Made a really simple (though not necessarily easy) bumper themed level. Shouldn't take long to get through. Try it out and let me know what you think.

basic bump-o (v0.0.1)
8QL-R4B-38G

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Made my first level... I like to make courses that feel kind of like Mario 64 or Odyssey stages in a 2d framework. Trying to evoke a sense of place and environment instead of abstract platforms, not terribly challenging, but engaging and pleasant. Let me know what you think!

(Edit: revised a bit, new code)
Ski-Easy Peak
0B4-414-YRF

Revised this a bit based on feedback to be a little more engaging. Still mostly pleasant and easy however. I love the way galoombas wiggle their feet when they're in the claws!

New code edited into the old post/image, 0B4-414-YRF

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

did some randoms, here's my feedback:

06D H4B SFG
light switch slam
fun, and not overly cruel. I liked using the superball to light my way, and to activate switches. It’s nerve-wracking racing those fireballs in the dark (i assume it was a race, this was my instinct) but it never got too difficult. very classic feeling level.

W6K 7YJ WDG
going for a run
this was a fun speedrun. the piranha jump was neat. I liked how spin jumps worked for the jumps without Zs on them too. Would be a good multiplayer level.

M8S TTQ QNF
Fly! Or die!

this was a lot more fun once i started going from bumper to bumper. It plays like pac-man, except at the end you have to thread the needle to escape. I wish the exclamation points weren’t triangular. But maybe that was a clue I was missing?

1TK PQG WTG
Real Acid?

I liked it! I wished it could have been a mite longer, but i’m not the type to go boldly looking for extra coins/lives during a water-level-race. You could have decorated it a mite more, i thought - either with background stuff or a couple more enemies

556 CM1 87G
At the Mountains of Moleness

I really like this! I think I softlocked at once point, when the mole seemed to have been stuck on a gust of wind. Later, i was able to cheese a section by trapping the mole in a switch block as he fell through it. I’m not sure how you would prevent this, other than never having the mole fall through switch blocks. The final showdown looked like a fun setup but the key spawned really quickly and i’m not sure what happened. At the end you murdered a bunch of moles, which I allowed to happen for quite some time.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

What's the rule about posting cool stages you found in endless? Like I actually found a cool multiplayer level. Like actually good.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Ignite Memories posted:

did some randoms, here's my feedback:

M8S TTQ QNF
Fly! Or die!

this was a lot more fun once i started going from bumper to bumper. It plays like pac-man, except at the end you have to thread the needle to escape. I wish the exclamation points weren’t triangular. But maybe that was a clue I was missing?

Thanks for the play and feedback.

I do all my exclamation points as a triangular top actually that’s just the way I’ve made them since high school. Nothing meant as a hint by it but If you noticed it and questioned it others might as well. Will be conscious of that when I design in the future.

As for the threading the needle at the end I wanted to make it a little bit tense heading to the finish. It wasn’t to off putting was it?

I have a few other levels available that I haven’t put into the spreadsheet yet and one of the ones I did is dead because I reuploaded it after reviews from other goons. Check my post history for the link as I want to make one more randomized level before updating the spreadsheet. Thanks once again

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

OneMoreTime posted:

What's the rule about posting cool stages you found in endless? Like I actually found a cool multiplayer level. Like actually good.

All levels that are cool and good are welcome here!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I really wish the Mario 3 Bowser's castle art style wasn't night time only. I really want to use it for my crazy super contraption level, but not as a swimming stage.

OneMoreTime posted:

Why would someone get bothered if you passed along something cool you found?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

045-B97-2HG

Here is my new course. Mama Mia, there are missiles headed for mushroom kingdom. Are you a bad enough dude to stop them?

I had a fun time getting through this, although I felt like a rube because I immediately fell for your first two tricks (wasted the bobombs before I realized what they were for, then got killed by the boo in a box). I'm not sure if this was your intention but I felt confused for the second half, I passed a few locked doors but made it to the end anyway.

OneMoreTime posted:

Made a new level that I think is a bit too difficult for what I was going for (an SMB-1 style level based around piranhas and cheep cheeps). Tried to slow down the player through coin collecting and there are powerups but I kind of think the last gauntlet is a little too hard? A later iteration may just get rid of the cheep cheeps all together.

Rebumping this one since I posted it super early this morning.

I liked this a lot, I thought it took the relatively few number of pieces and mixed them together really well. The bouncing cheep cheeps and flying piranha plants seem to move to the music too which is fun!

That trick near the end is nasty though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Maxxim posted:

Pretty solid, this is the around my preferred level of difficulty for challenge courses. I could never be bothered to learn spring/shell jumps so I liked the fact they weren’t there.

From a design perspective it didn’t really flow or build on anything, each of those segments could’ve come from a different level and I wouldn’t have noticed. It was basically a couple of difficult jumps stitched together.

The blind spin jump at the end was a little rude, as far as I could tell there’s no real indication you have to spin until it’s far too late.

Overall well done and I’d definitely play more of that difficulty.

Shoot em up
Figured I’d try this while I had your maker id open. Wasn’t particularly engaging because all you had to do was hold right and mash shoot, there wasn’t a whole lot of interaction. The comments seem to like it though so I guess it fits into easy well enough.

Thanks so much for the opinion!

I realize Shells and Spikes is just a random combination of hard jumps, but it was super fun to make. It was definitely a “let’s make this as I play through it” kind of level where my main goal was less about creating a solid theme and more about making the hardest level that I, an enthusiastic but not all that talented Mario player, could make while still having fun playing through it.

I’ll probably fix that one rude drop though, you’re right. The same technique could likely remain necessary to progress through that part while also telegraphing to the player what needs to be done.

Shoot’em’up was probably a total letdown for you after the first level lol. It’s not supposed to be hard at all. It was just a quick experiment to see how powerful I could make Mario off the top of my head, and then I gave him a very simple excuse to use all that firepower.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 11, 2019

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Maxxim posted:

Spikey donuts
For a hard course, this wasn’t too bad, the jumps were pretty straightforward. It’s definitely expert / possibly super expert material though, so for someone who isn't particularly good at Mario it's definitely way too hard.

* This spike caught me blind the first time through, though it was early enough it wasn’t a huge deal:

* The blooper in the box was rude and the whole invisible block climb really slowed the whole pace of the level. I don’t think it was needed. I would’ve preferred just turning each invisible block into a donut spike.
* The player probably deserves a checkpoint if they make it to the subworld, the level is fairly long.

Donut surprise
Definitely an easier version of the previous level, this one seems to be firmly expert. The koopas and timing of the thwomp effect made this feel a bit nicer than the previous one. Still not a fan of the invisible block climb.

I tried to skip your subworld and got bonus rewarded for it, that was kind of surprising.

Thanks for the feedback!

And I'm glad someone found it.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Great! The stage I found was Cave Climb by StarGio (ID 08M-XP0-CKF). It's multiplayer focused but I liked it even playing by myself.

Tender Bender posted:

I had a fun time getting through this, although I felt like a rube because I immediately fell for your first two tricks (wasted the bobombs before I realized what they were for, then got killed by the boo in a box). I'm not sure if this was your intention but I felt confused for the second half, I passed a few locked doors but made it to the end anyway.

I liked this a lot, I thought it took the relatively few number of pieces and mixed them together really well. The bouncing cheep cheeps and flying piranha plants seem to move to the music too which is fun!

That trick near the end is nasty though.

Hey thanks! Yeah, I think I know what you are talking about. I'll need to find a better way to telegraph that short of thing in the future.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is there a way to view who has liked / finished a course? OR who has you pinged as a favourite creator? i'd love to follow folks back

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

is there a way to view who has liked / finished a course? OR who has you pinged as a favourite creator? i'd love to follow folks back

If you look at more details on your level, it'll show a list on the right of the most recent people who've played, people with a flag icon beat your level, and people with a heart icon liked it. Not sure about seeing who has you on a favorites list.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Phantasium posted:

If you look at more details on your level, it'll show a list on the right of the most recent people who've played, people with a flag icon beat your level, and people with a heart icon liked it. Not sure about seeing who has you on a favorites list.

oh nice thankyou!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This was a cool level, I love the clear DKC inspiration, and it was challenging without feeling too unfair. Points of criticism being the second jump up onto a wiggler after the checkpoint, you're jumping to nearly max height with very little clearance above you and the wiggler arrives at the edge just as you have to make it. Unless you're very fast or very accurate its pretty much a guaranteed hit. The other complaint being the inconsistencies with the jump heights at the end, sometimes a normal jump and sometimes a sprint jump and with the pressure on and limited space to maneuver it makes it a crapshoot to gauge which one you need. Still a great level, very well put together. I like big tree levels.

Phantasium posted:

St Francis' Folly
LY9-GXB-PDG

Boy you weren't kidding when you said this was long, this is a monster. Really great tho, and the obvious secrets hidden behind fiendish jumps was cool too. Felt like i was missing out a little by not getting the Tomb Raider reference, the icicle rooms seemed too simple compared to the rest of the level and the thwomp room seemed like it had a secret but i had no clue how to get up on the bridges.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
I made a Factory themed level that I think goes with this weeks challenge.

Bowser's Factory: 23N-JJQ-Q5G

You are trapped in Bowser's Factory, the goal is to survive by navigating the working factory floor, solve some puzzles to get the key to the executive suite, once in defeat Bowser to escape to your freedom, all before time is up.

Is there anything special I have to do to submit this for the weekly challenge?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

Boy you weren't kidding when you said this was long, this is a monster. Really great tho, and the obvious secrets hidden behind fiendish jumps was cool too. Felt like i was missing out a little by not getting the Tomb Raider reference, the icicle rooms seemed too simple compared to the rest of the level and the thwomp room seemed like it had a secret but i had no clue how to get up on the bridges.

The level in tr is based on a bunch of puzzle rooms themed around mythology, the rooms are for Thor, Damocles, Neptune, and Atlas (they were all supposed to be from one mythology but the team had a collective brainfart on Thor when they were making it; the remake changed it to Hephaestus).

So the thwomp room is just supposed to be for Thor so the bridge is just the handle of a giant hammer, and the saw before it with the firebars is supposed to be kind of a tesla coil ball that shoots out lightning.

The icicles are obviously supposed to be Damocles, but that room was easy in Tomb Raider once you realized it's gimmick, so I was fine with it basically being just a gimme in my level (level was long enough anyway).

By the way, the reason why the thwomp contraption in the first room is set up that way is because it's supposed to represent a push block, which were slow to push in the original game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Pollyanna posted:

Made a really simple (though not necessarily easy) bumper themed level. Shouldn't take long to get through. Try it out and let me know what you think.

basic bump-o (v0.0.1)
8QL-R4B-38G

I hate bumpers, so I don't know that I'm the best person to analyze this, but here goes. It has a simple but solid kishotenketsu form which I liked. You might want to put a powerup right after the flag, unless you want the final challenge to be one hit. Also, SMB3 unfortunately does not have a flagpole challenge. I wasn't a big fan of the jump at the edn (but again I hate bumpers), perhaps you could have a single bumper jump up to the goal with additional jumps off to the left side that lead to a platform with a 1up?

Dbhjed posted:

I made a Factory themed level that I think goes with this weeks challenge.

Bowser's Factory: 23N-JJQ-Q5G

You are trapped in Bowser's Factory, the goal is to survive by navigating the working factory floor, solve some puzzles to get the key to the executive suite, once in defeat Bowser to escape to your freedom, all before time is up.

Is there anything special I have to do to submit this for the weekly challenge?

Submit your Jam course here!

dizzywhip posted:

In SMW and NSMBU style bowser can't be damage boosted, you just bounce of off him. That probably doesn't help you now that you've built an entire course after the game style you wanted, but for future reference.

You could set a small on-off switch puzzle near the end which is easy to solve, but not while bowser is there?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 11, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

my favorite brand of amateur coursemaking is making 'don't get hit' a course condition but not putting any powerups in anyway.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

my favorite brand of amateur coursemaking is making 'don't get hit' a course condition but not putting any powerups in anyway.

My favorite brand is making 'dont get hit' a course condition and giving you a mushroom that makes jumps harder

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I've been meaning to make a course where you have to end it as big mario but there's a bunch of feathers everywhere and no way to damage yourself.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

internet celebrity posted:

Here's the meanest thing I've done so far. You want the helmet before the boss fight? Yoshi dies. You monster.

(Yes I know you can do screenshots through the switch but :effort:)

Thank you for your service.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Finished my second level - Wet Wet Woods - LR6-J3H-5CG

This one was trying to make something that had a bit of complexity but wasn't too hard.

I played a bunch of awesome goon levels. I don't have too much specific feedback to put here, but I've left a lot of likes and comments. You guys make some great levels.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
alright figuring out what to do with whispy woods took longer than the rest of the level put together but here's one for all the kirby fans out there!

Green (Pipe) Greens

i tried to be pretty faithful to the original level design while still mario-ifying things but kirby games have so many enemies. i hope i was able to strike a good balance

now i can get started on a jam level about seizing the means of production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Wildest option? Put a cannon with a muncher in it above the screen. Fill the level to the enemy spawn limit. Then when the boss is killed, the cannon has the extra spawn available to launch the muncher which it does into something that opens the way (typically a bob-bomb that activates something).

That's actually such a good idea I might do it in my next level depending on if I can get it to work right.

That's clever! I dunno if I can make that work here since there are other enemies that can be killed but I'll keep it in mind for other levels.

DalaranJ posted:

In SMW and NSMBU style bowser can't be damage boosted, you just bounce of off him. That probably doesn't help you now that you've built an entire course after the game style you wanted, but for future reference.

You could set a small on-off switch puzzle near the end which is easy to solve, but not while bowser is there?

Ahh yeah it's too late to switch styles now but that's good to know. Sounds like some kind of puzzle is the best option, thanks!