Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

skasion posted:

Either that or he seriously lowballed the distance from Carthag to Arrakeen. 200km is kind of oddly close for major urban centers, especially in a resource-poor environment. Riyadh and Jeddah are like, five times further apart than that.

Dude. Kansas City, MO and Springfield, MO are just 166 miles between them and has a major highway connecting them directly.
Isn't some "whoa so far out there wacky man" thing for two cities to be within a couple hours driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Imperial cartographers were lazy nepotists who sometimes got entire planets mixed up. Harq al Ada wrote a play about the Royal Cartographer of Shaddam IV's court and his ineptitudes, including: his refusal to believe planets have more than one biome, that "foldspace" happens because wormholes are literally just that and Shai-Hulud has cousins in deep space, and the scandal that ensued when he mistook the homes of the Fremen and Sardaukar. The play is called "Spicey Salusa".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I resemble that remark. :colbert:

I'm sorry for your brain.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
"I'm not your damned breeding stud!" Duncan roared sexually while sexing with a sexual addiction with a sexy manner.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm sorry for your brain.

It's okay this particular BeanpolePeckerwood is the 459th successive BeanpolePeckerwood ghola, and poo poo's gotten weird on the internet since I originally made my first shitpost and subsequently died

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

phasmid posted:

that "foldspace" happens because wormholes are literally just that and Shai-Hulud has cousins in deep space

Is this from the Failson books? I can't tell anymore.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

https://twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/1148682386244349953
Some nice Heighliner concepts. I like the Athenian owl coin acting like a big sigil of some kind - wonder if it's supposed to indicate the House that's got it's ships along the inside of the main hull, or the Guild itself?

In Heretics Teg sees the side of a mechanically-Navigated ship, which has "the Ixian symbol within the Guild cartouche" so that sort of ancient branding feels right to me.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's pretty cool. Is it book canon that the heighliners are enormous cylinders? I've only read as far as CoD but I don't remember them being described, but in every adaptation they are depicted that way.

In related news, once I get this RAID backup figured out for my computer, it's going to be dubbed GUILD HEIGHLINER. All my volumes are named after fictional spacecraft or thinking machines.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

No, they're never described in any detail. Although the semi-canon Dune Encyclopedia says they're nearly-featureless spheres.

I'm working on some fanart where they're shaped something like giant nautilus shells. So there's one big yawning opening/hold, and behind that successively smaller chambers as you spiral around to the core. A tapered and rolled up cylinder.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

"Tell me, old worm, is there a monster penis hidden in that monster body of yours?”

Lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I'm working on some fanart where they're shaped something like giant nautilus shells. So there's one big yawning opening/hold, and behind that successively smaller chambers as you spiral around to the core. A tapered and rolled up cylinder.

I remember you mentioned this ITT. Looking forward to seeing it!

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Anne Frank Funk posted:

"Tell me, old worm, is there a monster penis hidden in that monster body of yours?”

Lol

Like Malky, these will (hopefully) be near my last words.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Terrible Purpose!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pimblor posted:

"I'm not your damned breeding stud!" Duncan roared sexually while sexing with a sexual addiction with a sexy manner.

He struggles with the sexy disease of sexlexia.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I need a monster condom for my magnum worm!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

whoa bro no spice blow on my glowglobe yo

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He struggles with the sexy disease of sexlexia.

Duncan lay in repose, his black dummy thicc curly hair, which totally made him irresistible to the space ladies, was plastered to his head in a sweaty sexy mess. In a low, guttural, space Irish growl he said, "Mmmm. Velour."

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Prolonged Priapism posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/1148682386244349953
Some nice Heighliner concepts. I like the Athenian owl coin acting like a big sigil of some kind - wonder if it's supposed to indicate the House that's got it's ships along the inside of the main hull, or the Guild itself?

In Heretics Teg sees the side of a mechanically-Navigated ship, which has "the Ixian symbol within the Guild cartouche" so that sort of ancient branding feels right to me.

The navigators don't fold space with their mind :colbert:

Space folding is just dangerous because you never know exactly where you will reappear, and thus navigators use their prescience to foresee it.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The navigators don't fold space with their mind :colbert:

Space folding is just dangerous because you never know exactly where you will reappear, and thus navigators use their prescience to foresee it.

C'mon son, prequels?!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's been confirmed that the BG show is an adaptation of Brian's book:
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1148734042801618944

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

If Frank is Duke Leto and @duneauthor is Paul, when are we going to get Leto II to fix this loving series.

Or is @duneauthor Leto II?? Hmmm

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 11, 2019

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Temaukel posted:

If this is the price of a faithful movie, I will pay it gladly.

Still won't watch the trash, tho

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Temaukel posted:

Dune sisterhood: this is the future feminists want

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Some people think old Frank had a dismally backward attitude toward women. Thankfully, they will be able to enjoy "The Life and Times of Bene Geeling: Oracle of Spacefolding". Trust me, it will be empowering as hell and will contain no sex ninjitsu.

Also I submit that the theme song should be a cover of "Pussy Control". Unrelated.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

There is a slim chance that this will be one of the adaptations that elevate the source material.

Who am I kidding...

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Tertius Oculum posted:

If Frank is Duke Leto and @duneauthor is Paul, when are we going to get Leto II to fix this loving series.

Or is @duneauthor Leto II?? Hmmm

Frank is the old Duke, who everyone admired, and @duneauthor is Leto, the failson who nearly destroyed his father's legacy for a bunch of quick cash.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I thought Leto didn't have a choice but to take Arrakis? Wasn't the Emperor ordering him to relocate there?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought Leto didn't have a choice but to take Arrakis? Wasn't the Emperor ordering him to relocate there?

yeah, if the Emperor offers you a "gift" you don't get to say "thanks but no thanks."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
He did have another choice, which is discussed in the book: go rogue and run for the periphery with his household. That would have been an even bigger poo poo to take on his family legacy of course.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Then why are we walking into this?’
‘Paul!’ The Duke frowned at his son. ‘Knowing where the trap is – that’s the first step in evading it. This is like single combat, Son, only on a larger scale"

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I was being facetious, but the Harkonnen/ Sardaukar attack was what, a couple of weeks after the change of fief? It seems he was pretty hosed either way. Odd the BG didn't pull a few strings so they didn't come awful close to losing the entire bloodline, but maybe they were still a bit pissed with Jessica.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

tight aspirations posted:

I was being facetious, but the Harkonnen/ Sardaukar attack was what, a couple of weeks after the change of fief? It seems he was pretty hosed either way. Odd the BG didn't pull a few strings so they didn't come awful close to losing the entire bloodline, but maybe they were still a bit pissed with Jessica.

I mean they were apparently trying? That's how I read this passage, with Mohiam suggesting how Jessica and Paul might take refuge with the people of Arrakis:

quote:

"Truth," the old woman said. "And all we can hope for now is to prevent this from erupting into general conflagration, to salvage what we can of the key bloodlines."

Jessica closed her eyes, feeling tears press out beneath the lids. She fought down the inner trembling, the outer trembling, the uneven breathing, the ragged pulse, the sweating of the palms. Presently, she said, "I'll pay for my own mistake."

"And your son will pay with you."

"I'll shield him as well as I'm able."

"Shield!" the old woman snapped. "You well know the weakness there! Shield your son too much, Jessica, and he'll not grow strong enough to fulfill any destiny."

Jessica turned away, looked out the window at the gathering darkness. "Is it really that terrible, this planet of Arrakis?"

"Bad enough, but not all bad. The Missionaria Protectiva has been in there and softened it up somewhat." The Reverend Mother heaved herself to her feet, straightened a fold in her gown. "Call the boy in here. I must be leaving soon."

"Must you?"

The old woman's voice softened. "Jessica, girl, I wish I could stand in your place and take your sufferings. But each of us must make her own path."

Similarly, this:

quote:

"You think I could be this Kwisatz Haderach," he said. "You talk about me, but you haven't said one thing about what we can do to help my father. I've heard you talking to my mother. You talk as though my father were dead. Well, he isn't!"

"If there were a thing to be done for him, we'd have done it," the old woman growled. "We may be able to salvage you. Doubtful, but possible. But for your father, nothing. When you've learned to accept that as a fact, you've learned a real Bene Gesserit lesson."

And they made their effort to preserve the Harkonnen side of the bloodline. I assume their Kwisatz Haderach project involved hundreds or thousands of people they were tracking and attempting to interbreed, and the Atreides + Harkonnen union was just one possible way to produce it. If that failed, they'd just go back a few steps and try again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

tight aspirations posted:

They did pull some strings — that’s why Mohiam visits Paul and tells Jessica that poo poo is about to go down. She also tells Jessica to teach Paul the Voice, which ends up saving their lives. I assume Lady Fenring’s message was also one she was ordered by the BGs to leave — the Count definitely wouldn’t have allowed it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

C'mon son, prequels?!

I don't get what you are saying. I never read the prequels and the original books are pretty clear that navigators have limited powers and are responsible of plotting a safe course through space and time (what computers would do before the butlerian jihad probably) ?

How would fast space travel be possible before the guild existed if only navigators can achieve it with spice?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Later on, there's also this remark:

Dune posted:

With the Lady Jessica and Arrakis, the Bene Gesserit system of sowing implant-legends through the Missionaria Protectiva came to its full fruition. The wisdom of seeding the known universe with aprophecy pattern for the protection of B.G. personnel has long been appreciated, but never have weseen a condition-ut-extremis with more ideal mating of person and preparation. The prophetic legendshad taken on Arrakis even to the extent of adopted labels (including Reverend Mother, canto andrespondu, and most of the Shari-a panoplia propheticus). And it is generally accepted now that the Lady Jessica's latent abilities were grossly underestimated.
So it's pretty clear that Jessica and Paul were only supposed to have sheltered with the Fremen until they could be removed from Arrakis and the Bene Gesserit could have regained control over their Kwizats Hadarach.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't get what you are saying. I never read the prequels and the original books are pretty clear that navigators have limited powers and are responsible of plotting a safe course through space and time (what computers would do before the butlerian jihad probably) ?

How would fast space travel be possible before the guild existed if only navigators can achieve it with spice?

There's no real way of knowing that, as I don't think Old Frank ever spelled out what people did for space travel before the guild (I may be wrong about that, it's been a few years). Although it's never explicitly spelled out in the non-existant prequels, Failson strongly implies that people had some sort of FTL engines (just i terms of travel times between planetary systems, that is).

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Pham Nuwen posted:

And they made their effort to preserve the Harkonnen side of the bloodline. I assume their Kwisatz Haderach project involved hundreds or thousands of people they were tracking and attempting to interbreed, and the Atreides + Harkonnen union was just one possible way to produce it. If that failed, they'd just go back a few steps and try again.
:tinfoil: Is that why the Great Jihad killed sixty billion people? There can be only one Kwisatz Haderach?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Shaddak posted:

There's no real way of knowing that, as I don't think Old Frank ever spelled out what people did for space travel before the guild (I may be wrong about that, it's been a few years). Although it's never explicitly spelled out in the non-existant prequels, Failson strongly implies that people had some sort of FTL engines (just i terms of travel times between planetary systems, that is).

Being able to fold space and time with your mind is a pretty impressive power so why would old Frank insist navigators have limited powers? Why would he write their role is to chart a safe course through space and time?

I don't know it's just the way I understood it from reading the books as it's a common sci-fi theme that you need some serious computer power for calculating fast/far space travel courses

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

:words:

I mean they were apparently trying? That's how I read this passage, with Mohiam suggesting how Jessica and Paul might take refuge with the people of Arrakis:

Similarly, this:

Tragic romance. Oh, Frank, you still get me!