Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

animist
Aug 28, 2018
happy post: after a shitload of exposure therapy and mindfulness stuff i'm now pretty much over my OCD / anxiety. it's still there, just now when i hear the voice in my head say "you're a terrible person and you'll die alone and forgotten" i'm like "lmao maybe" and go on with my day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

animist posted:

happy post: after a shitload of exposure therapy and mindfulness stuff i'm now pretty much over my OCD / anxiety. it's still there, just now when i hear the voice in my head say "you're a terrible person and you'll die alone and forgotten" i'm like "lmao maybe" and go on with my day

that owns, congrats

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

animist posted:

gently caress yeah friend, showing that maladaptive thinking who is boss and where to shove it.

Edit: dammit I can't say "friend" now without thinking of that dipshit Reddit racist cesspit.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

is abilify the first/only med you've taken for bipolar ii? I've found people with bipolar/bipolar II ARE less fun after they've been treated and are different because they aren't (hopefully) following their worst impulses and buying rounds for everyone at the bar or riding those manic highs have a grand old time. if you've been treated with meds before and your mood has altered a lot on abilify I'd let your pcp know especially if it is a new observation from friends

Yeah, it's the only med I've taken for bipolar. My sense of humor is still there, but the creative aspect of humor seems like it's gone away completely.

FactsAreUseless posted:

How often did you spend time with friends? How much of the time were you unable to? How much do they know about your mental illness? If your friends only ever saw you on the up side of your cycle they may perceive you as very different because you are, but without realizing that your life is better and more stable now. That's not to speak to the efficacy of the medication, I haven't taken it and I'm not bipolar, I'm just cautioning against judging yourself based entirely on the perceptions of others if it doesn't match up to what you feel now.

You may also have developed social skills that related to or compensating for your mental illness, and now you have to develop new ones.

My friends are all aware of my bipolar and know what I was like before and after the meds. They agree that I'm way more refined now, but I can't seem to keep a conversation going for the life of me. I'm extremely reactive instead of proactive when it comes to conversation now and I have absolutely no inclination to talk about random things anymore. Like, small talk is completely dead to me. I just feel like I have nothing to contribute to conversations and it's maddening. :(

I have a feeling that my withdrawn nature is also related to and heightened by my PTSD but I'm not entirely sure. In September my girlfriend of 7 years ghosted me out of nowhere and I've been dealing with the emotional fallout since.

Mental health stuff is a huge pain in the rear end :saddowns:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Sanguinary Novel posted:

This may sound odd, but do you have enough money for an eye exam? Or have access to a free eye exam like a school or a public clinic? The reason is that I had trouble a few years ago with really painful headaches located in the back of my skull, and chalked it up to my glasses prescription being out of date. During the exam they dilated my eyes and found I had papilledema, which caused by increased pressure causing your optical nerves to swell and push inward. The doc said that I either had a brain tumor, or a condition that causes me to produce way too much spinal fluid, and I was fast-tracked into an MRI during a time which I had no insurance whatsoever! Its not a perfect measure, but it's something a little more accessible than a neurologist, who's just going to pass you on to an ophthalmologist anyways.

:hmmyes: I never considered this. I will try looking into getting a free eye exam in the near future. Thanks!

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
if a mod/admin is reading this: can i get a two week probe?

i've been seeing a new psychiatrist, have been on new medicine for the past few months (and it seems to be helping), have found a therapist, etc.

overall, things have been turning around for me. i'm on the ascent.

a break from the forums, if only to have more time to focus on other stuff, seems like it would be helpful right now. i can probably just log off myself, but a 2 week or so probation to reinforce it would be cool as well. thanks

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Finicums Wake posted:

if a mod/admin is reading this: can i get a two week probe?

i've been seeing a new psychiatrist, have been on new medicine for the past few months (and it seems to be helping), have found a therapist, etc.

overall, things have been turning around for me. i'm on the ascent.

a break from the forums, if only to have more time to focus on other stuff, seems like it would be helpful right now. i can probably just log off myself, but a 2 week or so probation to reinforce it would be cool as well. thanks

i mean fau reads this thread on the reg and can probably oblige but a probe isn’t gonna keep you from being able to read posts, which I think is the big problem. I personally don’t want to see you self ban for a few weeks so maybe grab a browser extension to block sa for a while if you need intervention.

or just throw your phone in the ocean or something I’m sure it’ll be fine

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

i mean fau reads this thread on the reg and can probably oblige but a probe isn’t gonna keep you from being able to read posts, which I think is the big problem. I personally don’t want to see you self ban for a few weeks so maybe grab a browser extension to block sa for a while if you need intervention.

or just throw your phone in the ocean or something I’m sure it’ll be fine

i like cspam not, primarily, because it helps me learn about politics, but because its one of the ways i get to interact with people, even if in a mediated fashion. i already read the news + my fave blogs daily to catch up on what's happening. i can still do that to scratch the politics itch while probated. plus, i won't have cspam as an activity to sink time into. so even just the lack of posting ability would help me, imo.

a specific example:

most weeknights i alternate between reading a book and checking/posting on the forums until i get tired and go to bed. but i'd rather: read, go for a jog, get ready for bed, then fall asleep reading.

two things, primarily, have prevented me from forming a weeknight jogging habit.
1) i like to jog to music; back when i was in the habit of jogging i'd always listen to music, and that helped. right now my phone is too old to even download spotify. i just checked w/ my company and they said i can come in for an upgrade (idk if it's free or cheap but whatever). so that'll be fixed within a day or two.
2) when i get tired from reading i just default to the forums. then, after i start to read the forums when it's late, i'll sometimes pick up a tallboy or two from the 7-11. even if i don't have a d drink, i just kind of laze around reading and posting. i doubt i'd get on in the first place if i couldn't post w/ the posting pals; so, a probation might help break this habit.

i don't want to self-ban because it costs money to re-reg and stuff. and i still like cspam and the forums. i'd just like to form new habits where i use them less, or in a more purposeful manner or whatever.

i know this posts has been about minutiae w/in my daily schedule, so i'm sure it's boring. but
1) i'm trying to focus on solving small, concrete problems, such as not exercising enough, rather than dreading large, abstract problems; and
2) even just not being able to post will probably help me form better habits. i said i was on the ascent, after all.

hope this makes sense. i worry a lot about whether i'm understood. i'm sure my writing doesn't help lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
nah it all makes sense. lemme see if I can queue something up, someone will have to approve it so it might take a bit.

enjoy your vacation!

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

to the best of my recollection, I've understood every Finicums Wake post I've ever read, because they are understandable and legible and fine

i know this because the av is one of the avs i look out for, scorched into my brain, probably as a pavlovian response to getting emptyquoted a few times

just sayin yr good & fine

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Randomly stayed up 30 hours straight yesterday without the influence of stimulants or anything else to explain it, had really weird, vivid dreams about trying to stay asleep once I did fall asleep, then woke up at 7 pm and within 3 hours had myself a shaking, sobbing fit about nothing in particular wherein I felt the urge to self-harm for the first time in several months.

Having myself a normal one over here. :sg:

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Addamere posted:

Randomly stayed up 30 hours straight yesterday without the influence of stimulants or anything else to explain it, had really weird, vivid dreams about trying to stay asleep once I did fall asleep, then woke up at 7 pm and within 3 hours had myself a shaking, sobbing fit about nothing in particular wherein I felt the urge to self-harm for the first time in several months.

Having myself a normal one over here. :sg:

Yeah sounds like my dreams on lexapro.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

redsniper posted:

Yeah sounds like my dreams on lexapro.

Yeah, poo poo always got wild when I changed my SSRIs. Great inspiration for writing, not so much for waking up feeling like having normal brains.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
ffs everyone take either krill oil or algae oil if you aren’t already

I’m a vegetarian, taking algae dha a couple of days has basically rebooted my goddamn brain

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

I’m a vegetarian, taking algae dha a couple of days has basically rebooted my goddamn brain

On what basis? Recommending people take random supplements for no regard their situation isn't good, actually.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

krill algae mind smooth

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
yeah what's that stuff do. I'm doin omega oil poo poo because turns out trying to drink to death for years is bad for your heart

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Consummate Professional posted:

I'm doin omega oil poo poo because turns out trying to drink to death for years is bad for your heart

Guess I better get a head start on the omega oil

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I AM NOT A DOCTOR

but my heart health is way bad, especially with my family history. brain docs are good but so are physical ones!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

i am not sure this works as general advice, but excellent for you! ideally get tested for nutritional deficiencies, there may be more to know about what is going on there

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got good enough news about some allergy issues. It appears that it's just a whole lot of food intollerences, gerd, other GI issues, and maybe asthma. The GI stuff is rough of course, I don't have any info for what to do next. BUT I'm probably not going to die from anaphylaxis so, yeah. Taking the wins as I get them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jon Joe posted:

On what basis? Recommending people take random supplements for no regard their situation isn't good, actually.

Omega-3 is a common supplement that usually comes from fish oil, which gets processed in DHA, etc. that gets used by your brain meats. As I'm vegetarian, I have to get it through other means besides fish. Flaxseed oil is traditional, but you have to take so much it's a massive pill. Algae based omega-3 is found in your local Target vitamin section, because it's on the level of a basic multivitamin, B12 supplement, etc. Omega-3 is highly recommended by pretty much every doctor as a supplement and is harmless if you don't need it but makes a huge difference if you're lacking. (No, I don't have a citation, this isn't D&D)

C'mon y'all, I'm not going to recommend bizarre poo poo out of nowhere. It's even in the OP.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my most important daily supplement claims it is 70% THC but I’m skeptical of black market cartridges so it’s probably less :wom:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
just finished first nami assignment and holy butt it was a lot harder walking in there than I expected

eventually warmed up and the session seemed to go really well, people were genuinely curious with questions. Still, putting one foot in front of the other once I was in the secure ward was... woof.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

just finished first nami assignment and holy butt it was a lot harder walking in there than I expected

eventually warmed up and the session seemed to go really well, people were genuinely curious with questions. Still, putting one foot in front of the other once I was in the secure ward was... woof.

:glomp:

u did good kid

as for me lmao im wishing for death because im having a bad dysphoria day of wishing i looked different. i was all happy and dolled up but then i saw a reflection and hated what i saw and just shut down and went home and now im just mostly crying and posting

bean mom has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Jul 12, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zyla posted:

:glomp:

u did good kid

as for me lmao im wishing for death because im having a bad dysphoria day of wishing i looked different. i was all happy and dolled up but then i saw a reflection and hated what i saw and just shut down and went home and now im just mostly crying and posting

Are there trans-focused crisis lines for these moments?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
instagram has some positive trans meme hashtags, one today even posted a "you pass better than you think" one

i'm afraid dysphoria will kick into overgear once i start transitioning and i'll be too eager for the process to finish while i'm inbetween. right now i still look like a regular guy, but sure dont want to

and this morning i felt all manly and was worried but a few hours later, maybe it was the daily E pill kicking in, i felt like trying on some short shorts and bought my first pair of heels, they're real cute and i was taking pics in the changing room mirror

got any sevens has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Jul 12, 2019

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone have any experience with lexapro? doc just put me on it (ill take my first pill this evening), still kinda feel like I want to push for a greencard cause I know weed helps with my anxiety but i don't have the bravery to be pushy about it

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

Anyone have any experience with lexapro? doc just put me on it (ill take my first pill this evening), still kinda feel like I want to push for a greencard cause I know weed helps with my anxiety but i don't have the bravery to be pushy about it

Been on it for years, works for me. Better results than prozac, especially for anxiety (again, just speaking in my experience).

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Venom Snake posted:

I'm on that (10 mg) and wellbutrin (150 mg). works well for me with no noticeable side effects. If you want to know specifics or whatever ask away or throw me a pm

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Venom Snake posted:

Lexapro worked pretty well for me for about a month or two before my bipolar (which I didn't know I had at the time) spiked. That and sertraline are the only two SSRIs that have worked for me.

As always, everyone is maddeningly different with meds :shrug:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chokes McGee posted:

As always, everyone is maddeningly different with meds :shrug:

yeah, this too. the first time i sought treatment for broke brains I was put on prozac. the cure was about 300% worse than the symptoms. lexapro works well for me. i wish you luck

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Lexapro got me out of a hole with depression. Lexapro plus buspar was like MAGIC for reducing anxiety. It makes me need a ton of sleep to feel rested and I get mild brain zaps when I go up or down in dose.
Basically Lexapro greatly improved my life but came with some annoyances.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Okay holy poo poo I don't know if it's because I'm going through withdrawal side effects or if the drugs actually worked on reducing my very odd, incredibly specific phobias. It's like my anxiety shot up the goddamn roof and I'm genuinely torn between "it was the drugs, they were doing their jobs" and "antidepressant discontinuation syndrome heightens up anxiety like loving mad." I felt like a million bucks during the tapering period.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

rear end posted:

Okay holy poo poo I don't know if it's because I'm going through withdrawal side effects or if the drugs actually worked on reducing my very odd, incredibly specific phobias. It's like my anxiety shot up the goddamn roof and I'm genuinely torn between "it was the drugs, they were doing their jobs" and "antidepressant discontinuation syndrome heightens up anxiety like loving mad." I felt like a million bucks during the tapering period.

Without knowing why you switched things up, it's probably a combination. SSRI discontinuation after being on it a long while is a wild fukkin ride even with a taper

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Chokes McGee posted:

Without knowing why you switched things up, it's probably a combination. SSRI discontinuation after being on it a long while is a wild fukkin ride even with a taper

I was on Lexapro and Paxil for a while and I don't know if I'm viewing things with rose-tinted glasses right now because I'm going through loving hell but I think they might have taken the edge off with said specific phobias. Or maybe I got better at identifying them. Then I was put on the Adolf Hitler of ADs, Effexor, for a week, until I tapered it off and ultimately threw it in the garbage and now I take gently caress all, because I had my cosmic brain revelation re: OCD and I actually felt like I was in control of my poo poo (during the tapering-off period) when I realized when intrusive and obsessive thoughts were happening.

I've always had a thing with vibrating, loud metal noises. There's a clunk in my car's front suspension that I always drowned out with music that I brushed off by saying "haha classic chrysler build quality" and now it shoots my heartbeat through the roof for some goddamn reason, and I don't know if it was the meds doing their work or my brain going through blender mode.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah I’m on 10mg daily, for me it’s helped tremendously for my depression and to a lesser extent with anxiety - been on it for a few months now with no major side effects. The first few nights I had horrible insomnia but now I just have my normal insomnia lol

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm moving tomorrow morning at like 4am and I'm flying with my cat. I'm so worried about taking her on the plane and if she'll be ok that I can't sleep. :shrug:

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

rear end posted:

I was on Lexapro and Paxil for a while and I don't know if I'm viewing things with rose-tinted glasses right now because I'm going through loving hell but I think they might have taken the edge off with said specific phobias. Or maybe I got better at identifying them. Then I was put on the Adolf Hitler of ADs, Effexor, for a week, until I tapered it off and ultimately threw it in the garbage and now I take gently caress all, because I had my cosmic brain revelation re: OCD and I actually felt like I was in control of my poo poo (during the tapering-off period) when I realized when intrusive and obsessive thoughts were happening.

I've always had a thing with vibrating, loud metal noises. There's a clunk in my car's front suspension that I always drowned out with music that I brushed off by saying "haha classic chrysler build quality" and now it shoots my heartbeat through the roof for some goddamn reason, and I don't know if it was the meds doing their work or my brain going through blender mode.

Maybe you shouldn't stop taking SSRIs without psychiatrist supervision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

redsniper posted:

Maybe you shouldn't stop taking SSRIs without psychiatrist supervision?

Maybe you shouldn't assume I didn't talk to my psychiatrist about tapering it off?