Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FF14 is the best MMO ever made, no exaggeration. They pulled that game back from the pits of hell with the relaunch and it has only gotten better and better over the years. It still has flaws as everything does, some of which are shared between other games in the genre, but they are incredibly minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

Hey, Final Fantasy XIV? It's actually not fun in any way at all to have your introduction to a new area be doing menial chores for capricious childlike creatures who clearly don't respect you at all. And just acknowledging that it's annoying as hell doesn't actually stop it being annoying as hell.

I would've hoped that we'd have learned this the first time we made this mistake, but apparently we didn't.

If you're talking about the moogles in the Churning Mists, you get to beat the poo poo out of them all later, I think specifically in retribution for this..

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I would love if there was an MMO that had a single bear-rear end collection quest, to get, like, 8 goblin livers or something, except the first goblin you kill has all 8 already and the person you deliver them to can't explain why. Just "Oh, uh, that's...hmm, that's peculiar. Would really rather not think about it."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Or have an NPC just outside the quest-giver's sight go 'psst, come over here' and offer you all the bear asses you need for a special low price.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cythereal posted:

If you're talking about the moogles in the Churning Mists, you get to beat the poo poo out of them all later, I think specifically in retribution for this..

I wish I was talking about the moogles.

They pull the same thing again in Shadowbringers, with the pixies of Il Mheg. It's not as long, but the pixies make up for it by being much more annoying in a shorter timespan.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The runners of FFXIV evidently got their poo poo together if they could revive an MMO three years after a disastrous launch. Now if only the rest of Square Enix could make with the times. FFXV was in pre-production for 7 years, rushed to finish in 3, and so diced-up that character-development was turned into cordoned-off DLC.

A thing about FFXIV that's both fun and miserable is that when you start a new character you get to play through what is, more or less, a condensed history of MMO quest design as you progress through the main story.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How is the single player experience in FFXIV? I'm curious but not into multiplayer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

How is the single player experience in FFXIV? I'm curious but not into multiplayer.

It's a pretty decent single-player RPG, but the multiplayer is unfortunately inescapable. You have to do dungeons to continue the story, and dungeons only got solo modes in the new expansion - which were not backported to old content. Even then, in the new expansion, certain big plot battles are multiplayer only.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

A thing about FFXIV that's both fun and miserable is that when you start a new character you get to play through what is, more or less, a condensed history of MMO quest design as you progress through the main story.

I gave up during that point.

"IT'S THE BEST" was what everyone said but Jesus Christ was it so awful going from point a to b to a repeatedly with nothing interesting happening. I got in a grand company and lost interest shortly after. If I had friends that played it may have held me but I didn't so I never resubbed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's a pretty decent single-player RPG, but the multiplayer is unfortunately inescapable. You have to do dungeons to continue the story, and dungeons only got solo modes in the new expansion - which were not backported to old content. Even then, in the new expansion, certain big plot battles are multiplayer only.

ughhhh. More reason to keep putting off getting into it I guess

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah that's understandable, it's very much the kind of game you have to go in understanding it will probably take 1-2 weeks of trying to get to the good parts, but on the other hand if you hold out you get probably the best mmorpg made in the last 10 years. They also did introduce a way to just skip all of a realm reborn if you really hate it but you probably will also need a job jump potion at that point and its also pretty understandable to not want to spend 30 more dollars to not play a game.

Also the servers are so packed with the expansion that you quite literally can't make a character now unless you are up real early, so its not a good time for people to start unless they are absolutely sure they want to play it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zoig posted:

Yeah that's understandable, it's very much the kind of game you have to go in understanding it will probably take 1-2 weeks of trying to get to the good parts, but on the other hand if you hold out you get probably the best mmorpg made in the last 10 years. They also did introduce a way to just skip all of a realm reborn if you really hate it but you probably will also need a job jump potion at that point and its also pretty understandable to not want to spend 30 more dollars to not play a game.

Also the servers are so packed with the expansion that you quite literally can't make a character now unless you are up real early, so its not a good time for people to start unless they are absolutely sure they want to play it.

I've been pushed from "I don't care" to "I want to try this" thanks to all the gushing, but yup, big time sink and it'll be expensive. Maybe in a couple months when I'm not totally obsessed with theHunter or Surviving Mars.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Bloodstained:

You have this rather useless backstep mapped to one of the face buttons. There will be times when you'll really wish you could mash L1 to dash instead like in Mega Man X. You can unlock a super-dash but only at the 95 percent mark.

I keep hearing this complaint- the moment I got the "back dash is longer" ring I put it on and never took it off, and just dashed around backwards everywhere because it was faster than walking

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Poulpe posted:

I keep hearing this complaint- the moment I got the "back dash is longer" ring I put it on and never took it off, and just dashed around backwards everywhere because it was faster than walking

Isn't this literally Symphony of the Night again

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That is the selling point of Bloodstained, yeah.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You move so so very slow in Bloodstained. If you like walking in a snail's pace just like Alucard back in the day, it's the game for you. Personally it's bothering the poo poo out of me.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

CJacobs posted:

You move so so very slow in Bloodstained. If you like walking in a snail's pace just like Alucard back in the day, it's the game for you. Personally it's bothering the poo poo out of me.

Eh, I didn't think it was that slow. You can slide-kick to get around a little faster and you can get a belt toward the middle-to-end of the game that lets you slide-kick further than before. You can also get a spear that lets you dash at super high speed for as long as you have MP. Close to the end of the game you get a shard that lets you zip around extremely fast (indefinitely, if you ate even one or two MP charge upgrade recipes).

The speed upgrades don't come as quickly as SotN, where you get the bat form and then you're freely able to speed through the whole game at your leisure, though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's also books that boost walk speed, those are nice.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Upgrades aside, I do agree that the base movement speed is a little slow. It even looks like you're not quite keeping up with the running animation, like the floors are slippery or something.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Riatsala posted:

Upgrades aside, I do agree that the base movement speed is a little slow. It even looks like you're not quite keeping up with the running animation, like the floors are slippery or something.

Alucard also looks like that in SotN, which doesn't justify making the default running speed so slow or anything, but maybe Igarashi just prefers to have slow base speed that you can upgrade over the course of the game or something?

Compared to other modern metroidvanias like Ori and the Blind Forest or Hollow Knight, your movement in Bloodstained is not nearly as smooth or fluid. But it does feel exactly like SotN and the old GBA/DS castlevania games, so it's familiar. Is that a good thing? Nah, they probably should have tweaked the movement to make it better.

They also should've stuck in a mobility option that was just like the bat form from SotN. I miss spinning up the d-pad and bat-dashing everywhere.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cleretic posted:

Hey, Final Fantasy XIV? It's actually not fun in any way at all to have your introduction to a new area be doing menial chores for capricious childlike creatures who clearly don't respect you at all. And just acknowledging that it's annoying as hell doesn't actually stop it being annoying as hell.

I would've hoped that we'd have learned this the first time we made this mistake, but apparently we didn't.

Cleretic posted:

I'm not even talking about a new area's people asking you to do things to earn your trust. XIV's expansions actually do fairly well at that for the most part, with requests that make a reasonable amount of sense and teach you about this new area. Of course this downtrodden village in an occupied country is wary of some new rando, but in the course of helping them out with two or three tiny things you learn their situation, and usually the requests themselves are a little more juicy than 'Killl Ten Rats'.

Except when childish beast creatures are the first things you meet! Then it's a runaround that gives you no new information, takes ages, and clearly provided no material gain for them either.

In case anyone thinks "oh a couple of annoying quests" isn't so bad. Allow me to present to you the crown jewel on top of the heaping piles of annoyance: a screenshot of the area in particular during this chain of quests.

Because what a bunch of tedious quests for awful, annoying creatures needed was very low visibility due to fog and having the gamma jacked way the gently caress up to create the perfect breeding ground for tension headaches.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

In case anyone thinks "oh a couple of annoying quests" isn't so bad. Allow me to present to you the crown jewel on top of the heaping piles of annoyance: a screenshot of the area in particular during this chain of quests.

Because what a bunch of tedious quests for awful, annoying creatures needed was very low visibility due to fog and having the gamma jacked way the gently caress up to create the perfect breeding ground for tension headaches.

something's wrong with me because I clicked that and went "ooh pretty"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It usually doesn't bother me, but navigating the towers after killing the boss there is loving arduous.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Len posted:

I gave up during that point.

"IT'S THE BEST" was what everyone said but Jesus Christ was it so awful going from point a to b to a repeatedly with nothing interesting happening. I got in a grand company and lost interest shortly after. If I had friends that played it may have held me but I didn't so I never resubbed.

almost all of the old base game content is just walking back and forth between two points on the map talking to NPCs, sometimes diverting to a third point to do something arbitrary like find a man's shoes so he'll tell you where the spooky skeletons went, then sometimes walking to a dungeon and doing an unrelated dungeon where you fight a bunch of angry gremlins, then finally someone's just like "Oh yeah the spooky skeletons are just down the road, thanks for doing my job for me" and then you go fight the skeletons. You have to fight the skeletons in an online group, but when the cutscene plays out your character turns into a god and just murders them solo without incident.

Things change in the expansion content. But oh boy does it take a while to get there.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CJacobs posted:

FF14 is the best MMO ever made, no exaggeration. They pulled that game back from the pits of hell with the relaunch and it has only gotten better and better over the years. It still has flaws as everything does, some of which are shared between other games in the genre, but they are incredibly minor.

People keep saying this but I tried it myself 1-60 or whatever the end of 2.0 is and it was just mashing my 1 2 and 3 buttons over and over on the nearest enemy (and god help you if you're levelling a healer, then you hit two DoTs and then mash your 1 button) and the main story quest doesn't even level you seamlessly leaving you frantically either searching for sidequests that give reasonable XP or just running through the Palace of the Damned like half the server.

Maybe the expansions are great but the 1-50 experience is absolute rear end. People also say that the story is good when it consists of running around beating up different beastmen except that one time you spend ten levels preparing for a party. Or that other time where you are sent on a wild goose chase for elemental rocks.

Meanwhile I played Guild Wars 2 ages ago and that game actually gave me 7 buttons to press regularly starting from like 2 hours in. And they could be different 7 buttons depending on my class, so if I didn't like how Greatsword Ranger played, I could switch to Axe-Horn Ranger and it would be a different gameplay experience... and I could seamlessly switch between the two different weapon sets. And you have actual variety of main story (even if some of it is still rear end) since at each stage - 1-20 (and that's different based on race too!), 20-40 (order) and 40-60 (division) you get to pick what faction you're doing to progress the story.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jul 12, 2019

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

So did I.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Holy poo poo Bloodstained looks awful. It's the Mighty Number 9 of Castlevanias.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Holy poo poo Bloodstained looks awful. It's the Mighty Number 9 of Castlevanias.

It looks weird but it's actually a solid game, by all accounts Mighty Number 9 did not have gameplay to compensate for its visuals.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

lol nowhere even close

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

food court bailiff posted:

lol nowhere even close

it's a visually underwhelming copy of the original made by people who have experience with the original games but fell short of their goal of reclaiming the thing that made the originals good

just how short they fell is subjective

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I dunno, I played every Castlevania game since SotN except Circle of the Moon and I thought Bloodstained was better than most, if not all of them. I'm actually torn as to whether Bloodstained or SotN is better.

e: you know it's actually kinda interesting that Order of Ecclesia and Bloodstained have a pretty similar plot

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Jul 12, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Casey Finnigan posted:

I dunno, I played every Castlevania game since SotN except Circle of the Moon and I thought Bloodstained was better than most, if not all of them. I'm actually torn as to whether Bloodstained or SotN is better.

Agreed. SotN is the only one on the same level. It's an improvement over all the DS/GBA titles.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

bewilderment posted:

People keep saying this but I tried it myself 1-60 or whatever the end of 2.0 is and it was just mashing my 1 2 and 3 buttons over and over on the nearest enemy (and god help you if you're levelling a healer, then you hit two DoTs and then mash your 1 button) and the main story quest doesn't even level you seamlessly leaving you frantically either searching for sidequests that give reasonable XP or just running through the Palace of the Damned like half the server.

Maybe the expansions are great but the 1-50 experience is absolute rear end. People also say that the story is good when it consists of running around beating up different beastmen except that one time you spend ten levels preparing for a party. Or that other time where you are sent on a wild goose chase for elemental rocks.

Unfortunately that's how most of the Jobs are, a lot of them don't even get entire mechanics until level 62 or so on and level 50 only really gets them to "barely functional"

As for having trouble leveling, your problem is probably that you didn't try just doing on level dungeons to level up as you went along or do leveling roulette every day, you do that and you should never really hit a roadblock, so that's mostly just you not keeping up with the exp curve.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's a good look at first and in a screenshot. But imagine spending an hour in that, trying to traverse that space and do quests.

I don't even get those headaches that poster's talking about, but it still kinda hurts.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

just how short they fell is subjective

Lots of things are subjective but you are still able to make valid inferences about them if you're not some kind of extremely loud moron

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Screaming Idiot posted:

you got the switch version, didn't you? yeah, i thought "this looks fine" but after seeing someone play the PC version, it's no contest. looks so good on a computer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bewilderment posted:

People keep saying this but I tried it myself 1-60 or whatever the end of 2.0 is and it was just mashing my 1 2 and 3 buttons over and over on the nearest enemy

Yeah I picked...Monk, I guess it was? And thought "ooh, punchy combos! mechanical depth!" except oops for the entire first chunk of the game you get a single 1-2-3 combo and gently caress all else. Every single fight was just pressing 1-3 over and over. Most of the time the combat wasn't even difficult, just time consuming garbage. I think I stopped playing right around the point I also unlocked a stance-switching mechanic...except all you get to start off is a single stance so even that is completely pointless.

Would rather just go play more City of Heroes...and now I can. :smugbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I picked...Monk, I guess it was? And thought "ooh, punchy combos! mechanical depth!" except oops for the entire first chunk of the game you get a single 1-2-3 combo and gently caress all else. Every single fight was just pressing 1-3 over and over. Most of the time the combat wasn't even difficult, just time consuming garbage. I think I stopped playing right around the point I also unlocked a stance-switching mechanic...except all you get to start off is a single stance so even that is completely pointless.

Would rather just go play more City of Heroes...and now I can. :smugbert:

Did someone finally make a server for it that's actually got the game? I tried CoV back in 07 and it didn't get me but I've heard so much praise from goons I'd revisit it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are some dumb and bad decisions in Bloodstained and the art is more functional than good.

It is still a good game overall, a positive progression on the previous 7 igavania games, and delivered on an underserved niche exactly as it promised so to compare it to Mighty Number 9 is frankly misguided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my only problems on bloodstained is that i couldn't change the platform i received the game on by the time i heard the switch version was a downgrade - i backed for a digital copy! Iga's backpack still isn't out on the switch as far as i know, so I can't get the swordwhip I backed for, either.