Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ignore me, just posting to find my own posts because I'm getting old and I'm fairly certain I asked exactly the dumb question I want to ask before.

E: Yep! Continue ignoring my idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
No confirmed date yet but many think Update 24: The Vales of Anduin might be out in about two weeks, three if they hit some bugs. The results from the two bullroarer tests have been pretty good.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7933861

I imagine this will be the final content before the Minas Morgul exansion pack later this year, so it's a good way to enjoy some time with beornings and maxing out your level 120 gear before it all gets dumpstered when the Minas Morgul expansion pack comes out by the end of the year.

Also remember you've only got a few days left to earn and spend any tokens from the twelth anniversary event, I like anfalas crystals if you're level 100+, and eagle fireworks or new cosmetics for everyone.

edit

A nice aspect of the new upgraded virtue system and the new gear is that people who might not usually raid can join in on the last raid, the anvil, and tiers 1-3 should be pretty easy by then. Tiers 4 and 5 will be the hard content for the people who were previously doing tier 2-3. Or ignore it and let's run the 3 and 6 man, or the realistic goon idea: Let's run the new 3 man together once it's out.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 15, 2019

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I logged in for the first time since Isengard days. It's overwhelming having my bags and storage overflowing with crafting materials (I had time back then to max pretty much every profession what was I doing with my life?), rep items, consumables, gear swaps, legendary item stuff and other things I no longer understand the importance of. Not to mention all the skill changes and resets. In any case, it sounds like I had unintentionally chosen a good time to stop since Rohan and Helm's Deep didn’t turn out so great?

All of this is making a Legendary server run sound appealing, especially since Moria was my favourite. My main concern is when they’re going to add Mirkwood – has that been announced? I’d hate to finally make it to Moria only for Mirkwood to suddenly drop and then everyone is moving on. Are people still starting new characters on the Legendaries and doing pre-Moria instances as well?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Mirkwood should hit Legendary servers in early July so you've got about a month and a half. It hasn't been officially announced yet but they seem to be on a 4 month schedule and Moria opened in March. People are still starting new characters and alts on both servers. When I was last actively playing in mid April (I'm on hiatus again doing other stuff) I saw groups fairly often for the Great Barrows, and maybe once a week for the others (Carn Dum, Urugarth, Fornost, the Eregion 3 mans), though I wasn't on for long hours. You might have to join a big guild or start advertising a group yourself, and a 60 ringer or two might join to work on deeds or clean up old quests. A lot of the Moria dungeons also slowed down a bit, in the chat group spam at least. I still have quests for the Treasury (a 55 dungeon people barely run, with contested quest items and a teamwork puzzle that requires paying attention or a lot of organized trial and error) and Dar Narbugud (a raid that seems too hard for casual PUGs and too easy/not worth farming past the first few clears for the hardcore crowd).

They might be updating the instance finder to where people might actually use it in the new patch. I only skimread the stuff on the LOTRO subreddit but I think I remember seeing that.

I've got three awkward chars or I'd play more. I regret making my legendary server/do every quest and deed char a loremaster since it is an awkward class to play casually relying on pugs for group and raid stuff. My original char on Landroval is a 66ish dwarf guardian who just hit Mirkwood in the story, but I don't want to double up on that content so recently with my loremaster heading there soon. And I boosted a beorning with my Mordor aria but I'm completely lost there since I jumped ahead about nine years of content. So for now I just log onto the legendary server for a few weeks every 4 months to do what I can.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
As far as bag space goes make sure you have a house in game, max out your vault and shared storage using silver/gold before it eventually accepts only cash currencies. If you need some silver or gold let me know.

For a boosted beorning I'd probably go on lotro wiki and follow the epic quest/book quests all the way to the end to be sure I unlock everything and enjoy the story. If you're missing certain areas or want to skip some and spend more time in others, you can also farm or buy task items to hit max rep there quickly.

I'm...sort of glad to hear people enjoy the legendary servers, but ultimately for me nothing is more fun than having a couple of level 120s sitting here waiting for the new Vales of Anduin region to come out any day now. If you really really like running Moria content with stats that are 400% better and easier on your character compared to the real old days, that's fine. But you also have to accept that you won't get to see Minas Morgul til 2026 or something.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Hmm early July might be tight to make it to Moria considering the amount of time I have to play these days but I could make a go of it. Thanks for all the info!

I've got tons of bag space, shared storge, house storage, etc. The problem is that it seems I hoarded like crazy. There's no reason to keep old crafting mats after you've fully mastered that tier right? Like I won't regret auctioning off/giving away all my T1-6 or whatever scholar, leatherworking, smithing mats and so on? I also have a stupid amount of those runes to give legendary exp to weapons taking up space - I take it those are still useful to keep?

My old server is gone and I used the free transfer to move all my characters to Landroval. So if any goons are looking for low level crafting materials let me know.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Hello I just started playing this game, I don’t really know what I’m doing and have never really played an mmo before but I bought a horn and can play warren zevon on it for the people so it seems like a good game.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

WatermelonGun posted:

I don’t really know what I’m doing

WatermelonGun posted:

I bought a horn and can play warren zevon on it for the people

I think you know what you're doing.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yah, they're a natural.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

WatermelonGun posted:

Hello I just started playing this game, I don’t really know what I’m doing and have never really played an mmo before but I bought a horn and can play warren zevon on it for the people so it seems like a good game.

Please tell me you can do Werewolves of London and Lawyers, Guns, and Money.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

WatermelonGun posted:

You're not on now so I can't give you great wisdom and boring links to the wiki but google lotro wiki and play the game, when in the game smoke that pipeweed I mailed you, good luck!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7937198#post7937198

Finally some new content, looking forward to it. Servers will be up at noon EST.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Death-prevents like the RK's 'Do not fall this day' and the Cappies 'Last Stand' / Eagle sacrifice for LM / Warden using Never Surrender - any more like this?

About a year ago I asked in some places that RKs were a viable healer in all content. The answer was 'yes, but this is a heretical opinion' - is that still the case?

What about Captain - would it be possible to say, use yellow line (because I really really REALLY want a death prevent like Last Stand) and then cross-trait into blue and remain an effective healer, even if not optimal? Basically I'm lookin' really hard for a class with a death prevent (themselves preferably) and the ability to heal at the same time.

What's the population currently like on the legendary servers?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Iymarra posted:

Death-prevents like the RK's 'Do not fall this day' and the Cappies 'Last Stand' / Eagle sacrifice for LM / Warden using Never Surrender - any more like this?

About a year ago I asked in some places that RKs were a viable healer in all content. The answer was 'yes, but this is a heretical opinion' - is that still the case?

What about Captain - would it be possible to say, use yellow line (because I really really REALLY want a death prevent like Last Stand) and then cross-trait into blue and remain an effective healer, even if not optimal? Basically I'm lookin' really hard for a class with a death prevent (themselves preferably) and the ability to heal at the same time.

Healer is definitely the least popular way to play an RK because they are the most popular button mashing spell spamming DPS, but I've done the current raid 'the anvil' on both T1 and T2 with a variety of healers, including minstrel/RK, minstrel/beorning, etc.

I don't think we've ever done even a T1 raid with a captain so much as off healing, all the captains I know either go hardcore tank, or a decent off tank who buffs everyone. Haven't really seen much outside of that range, but they're great at those. Captain DPS is also fine depending on the scenario, but I think even in a 3 man their buffs are about as valuable as their DPS.

Can't answer the last bit sorry, I bought the update with lotro points because I don't typically stay VIP for most the year.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Mirkwood just went live on the legendary servers yesterday. It's a month early, so I guess too many people must have unsubbed VIP during Moria.

Iymarra posted:

There will be a population boost now for a month or two since the second expansion just activated. I haven't played in over a month but will be heading back in soon. You might need to join a guild or make friends to get people for the older dungeons and raids, but there should still be a steady population for group quests and to see doing things around the world. Though as things go on the server is already losing the people who think it updates too slow, the people who think it updates too fast, and the people who only had nostalgia for the early game and won't care as it enters Isengard and Rohan eventually.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I started playing on Landroval again after a 2 year absence. Slowly relearning my 57 Warden, not a task for the faint of heart. Chat seemed busy, but I was surprised at how bare the AH looked compared to what I remembered. On the other hand, I found a group of on-level people running Moria dungeons so that was cool.

While I will forever love the writing, world-building, and aesthetic of this game, it's age is showing in more ways than just technology. This game has been around so long and has had so many added and abandoned features that it feels like barnacles have completely covered the hull. I opened my wallet and saw a million currencies with no idea what they do, legendary weapons are just as incomprehensible to me as ever, there's dozens of crafting recipes for things that seem similar to other things or are currencies or whatever, skirmishes, etc. Clearly a game that has long outlived it's original design intentions, but I'm glad it's still around!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Everything Could Always Be Worse posted:

Some members of the LOTRO community have expressed interest in an updated gameplay experience. Rest assured, we heard you! Standing Stone Games is excited to announce that we're partnering with Funcom, NCsoft, and You! to adapt our game into the most amazing first-person MMOBARTSRPG ever seen on both Earth and Middle-Earth! Sign up for a lifetime membership on our Kickstarter! When we hit our third stretch goal, we'll add sailing ships and naval combat!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
A badger-mushroom-snake reference in TYOOL 2019. I'm dying.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

alucinor posted:

A badger-mushroom-snake reference in TYOOL 2019. I'm dying.

It was cool and good like everything in lotro, except the legendary servers that re-retired the goon kin.

Still enjoying this new update, Radagast is a good lad, and the anvil raid is still relevant for getting crafting mats for the new recipes.

If anyone wants to run Thrang you've got maybe three weeks of summer festival to do it, T2 is extremely hard and requires raid gear and a strat, T1 is do-able for any 6 people who pay attention and have decent 120 gear, definitely more of a challenge at 120 than at 115 though.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Amazon making the new LOTR MMO: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lord-rings-mmo-works-at-amazon-game-studios-1223164

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I want to be excited but "free to play MMO from Amazon (who just laid off a bunch of people during E3) that stopped alpha testing of their only high profile game in development" is a pretty darn cursed pitch.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Not to be contrarian, but what part of that reorg affects the new lotr game? Doesn't it mean it could potentially have better support? At least it won't be be competing for resources from other potentially doomed/unprofitable projects. As long as the game had the potential to be profitable, I'd think Amazon would stick to this since they had to buy IP. It doesn't feel like the horrors of the Big Bad EA to me.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but it doesn't specifically mention RPG for that Amazon LOTR game. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or if MMO just implies that these days, but I find it a bit curious.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The absolute best part about the Amazon/Chinese Warframe LoTR game is that people think it's an MMO even though it's being made as an action RPG for consoles, the story absolutely will suck and is barely going to have one, and then everyone who won't get back into LoTRO right now will admit how much they should have finished LoTRO

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
this article made me want to planeshift to the Event Horizon and then return with my eyes artistically arranged on a plate so they would never, ever betray me again

https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/16/the-soapbox-hoping-for-amazon-to-succeed-where-lord-of-the-rings-online-failed/

quote:

Lord of the Rings is the closest thing I have to a religion.

Meanwhile, I’ve been in love with the idea of virtual worlds — if not always the reality — ever since I first set digital foot in World of Warcraft a little over 10 years ago.

You would think, then, a Lord of the Rings MMO would be absolute paradise for me. But for me, Lord of the Rings Online is nothing but a disappointment.

quote:

When I watch those movies, I feel like I’ve stepped directly into Middle-earth. When I play Lord of the Rings Online, I feel like I’m playing a low-budget WoW clone from 10 years ago.

quote:

Firstly, I think some kind of action combat system is a must. Putting aside the fact that’s where the market is trending generally, I think this is a setting where combat needs to feel exciting and dangerous. Standing in one spot and rehearsing your rotation against mobs that barely fight back isn’t that.

Fully voiced story is also non-negotiable. I love reading books, but making players grind the action to a halt to read a bunch of quest text is not making use of the full potential of the medium.

It should be open world, not some heavily instanced dungeon grinder like Neverwinter. This is a world people want to explore in all its vast glory.

so basically this guy is really mad LotRO isn't Shadow of Moria and a fully voiced Hot Shelob wasn't welcoming him to NuGondor.

quote:

For all my harping about LOTRO being “WoW with a Middle-earth skin,” my vision for a perfect Lord of the Rings MMO is pretty much “The Secret World with a Middle-earth skin.”

or worse, i guess

anyway, yeah, eyes, plate

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I effing loved Secret World and it had some of the most interesting mmo plot despite still being a quest grinder. That skill circle was dope and I loved having shotguns and magic.

The guys not wrong about a lot of stuff. The level of immersion is no longer what modern gamers expect. The world and the NPCs are very static. I don't necessarily agree with his problems with text - that saves money that could go into other things. As much as I love the intricacies of warden and RK, the combat does feel a bit dated, but I'm honestly not sure what it is I'm looking for from mmo combat anymore.

That being said, I haven't played the later expansions and probably never will. I don't think there are that many people waiting for a LoTR game that are choosing to wait for a new one rather than get back into lotro. I think the initial success of the legendary server brought old players back for a taste, but I think that's still a sliver of the available LoTR-fan gamer base.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Premium wallet is 75% off until 7/25. This is one of the best values you can buy even at full price so this is a stupid good deal.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Beorning class is 75% off this week. This is proving a pretty good summer sale. My bear is still stuck mid 70s in Rohan until I buy Mordor and use the free boost, but I hear they're pretty good at endgame these days.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ossipago posted:

Beorning class is 75% off this week. This is proving a pretty good summer sale. My bear is still stuck mid 70s in Rohan until I buy Mordor and use the free boost, but I hear they're pretty good at endgame these days.

Yep they're still up there for healing, I healed the level 120 Thrang runs maybe 20 times this summer and looted 3 gold pocket items. The captain update coming in a week? or so might make heal captains improve next week, and probably will improve captain tanking as well. But I'm staying team bear for now.

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-121

The inventory space is a good grab too.

LOTRO Bonus Days bring you a +25% XP Boost, now through July 28th!

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 27, 2019

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Those captain changes look pretty good, might have to finish leveling mine, think last I played I had just gotten to Mirkwood. Just too many games taking up my time now, will see if I can squeeze in some LOTRO once the patch hits.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Reactivated Osrandir, LM petkeeper extraordinaire, currently durdling in the Northern East Rohan. Any "do not miss this" at level 77-80'ish? I'm still on my first playthrough, so taking in as much as possible, and have no idea how to optimize weapons/quests/etc.

*ARGH - Is mounted combat in any way skippable? My god*

Lars fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 1, 2019

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

New dwarf race and race change option apparently in the works.

http://lotroplayers.com/2019/08/02/breaking-new-race-stout-axe-dwarf/

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Fried Sushi posted:

maybe I can finally be a Dwarf Warden...

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fried Sushi posted:

Not sure how much is legit info or just genchat speculation, but on Landroval there was talk about also having recognizably female dwarves as a character option. I'm just really curious as to what the starter area for the stout axe will be.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

M_Sinistrari posted:

Not sure how much is legit info or just genchat speculation, but on Landroval there was talk about also having recognizably female dwarves as a character option. I'm just really curious as to what the starter area for the stout axe will be.

I would come back for a female dwarf with a full on beard.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

jabro posted:

I would come back for a female dwarf with a full on beard.

And there better be some pretty bling to wear in that beard.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Do HR and Mordor ever go on sale? I'm hitting ~85 in a day or two, and apparently need to funnel in some cash to blow up more orcs.

Even g2a has HD >€20 :/

Lars fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 5, 2019

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

M_Sinistrari posted:

i just happened to look at the forum and that led me to this just transcribed intervew

http://www.mmo-central.com/2019/08/05/standing-stone-games-talks-ddo-and-lotro-at-gencon-2019/

quote:

MMOC: Speaking of gender, that was the next question with regards to dwarves. The community is very fascinated with the concept of female dwarves for realsies in-game, will that be a part of this?

Ciccolini: You will be able to determine the gender of your dwarf when the Stout-Axes are released.

MMOC: And suddenly the forums just caught on fire.

Snook: Just to make sure, we are talking about the Stout-Axe dwarf which we have not yet discussed in the interview but presumably shortly.

MMOC: Yes.

Snook: Not the existing dwarf in-game.

MMOC: So the existing dwarf will not be able to change gender.

Snook: I don’t know that we can commit one way or another on that right now.

Ciccolini: We don’t want to commit to that because there’s tech to deal with that and there’s story to deal with. But with the Stout-Axe, you can determine… you can play the way you want and be able to determine what your gender is.

quote:

[Editor’s note: There will be more information from SSG about their classes at a later time, but Cordovan has posted on the forums that cosmetically, the male and female Stout-Axes will look alike. This will be in keeping with the lore that non-dwarves cannot tell them apart.]

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?674558-Race-changes-and-new-dwarf-race-is-comming!&p=7950580#post7950580

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Lars posted:

Do HR and Mordor ever go on sale? I'm hitting ~85 in a day or two, and apparently need to funnel in some cash to blow up more orcs.

Even g2a has HD >€20 :/

I think Cheap Punk is generally regarded as the place to get HD: https://cheappunk.com/collections/lord-of-the-rings-online/products/lord-of-the-rings-online-helms-deep-base-edition-pack

You might get lucky and find HD on sale for $10 at some point, but $16 ain't bad. Morder was on sale for 50% off on Black Friday or around there, would expect the same if not better deal this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Someone literally used "for realsies" in an interview journalism is dead.