Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schlinky posted:

I’ve got a bit of request here, because the most 90’s things I remember is also somehow borderline impossible to find for me.

Back sometime in the mid-to-late 90’s, I played a kid’s educational game, who’s title I’m probably remembering wrong. It was something along the lines of Professor Solve-it-All Adventures, an interactive game where a cool, funky Science Guy has a hotline where people call in to get help for their problems. Basically it was a pre-rendered 3D point-and-click type game which also taught basic science to kids.

That said, the game was ridiculously Nineties era - you knew the “Professor” was cool because he had a backwards cap and talked like a :airquote:cool guy:airquote: who had attitude and you could also hang out with! Each part of the game also had educational side where there was a bickering couple (the smart girl/wacky boy combo) who taught the fundamentals and small scale DIY projects, with the final challenge of the game being a gigantic Rube Goldberg machine you had to figure out.

Better yet, the game’s menu had him rap the intro, which for some stupid reason I still remember part of it (“I’m Solve-it-all and that’s alright, I’ll solve your problems day or night, if you’re in trouble don’t have a clue, then Solve-it-all is the man for you!”).

I’m bringing this all up because I spent an unnecessary amount of time trying to find this goddamn game today and somehow it appears to be purged from the internet. If anyone can possibly find this stupid, stupid thing, you would have my deepest gratitudes!

If you find it you gotta share it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Holy poo poo this is awful. I was four when this came out, and to me it exemplifies everything I hated as a child about the music that would play on the radio while my parents drove us around. Meandering and undynamic, cheap-sounding synthesizers that still somehow cost thousands of dollars, some lame dude crooning a line like "go wash your hands and fingers until your mind is clean" (real quote from this song), and it's six and a half minutes long for some godforsaken reason.

Here's something I actually like, for the sake of thread content. It's similarly love-it-or-hate-it, and similarly very 90s, but from '98:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsMjEeEg4g

It's kind of "edgy" ("been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding"), yet also completely rote and cliche almost as soon as it was released. "[...]and I don't even own a TV" is so famously pretentious it's hacky now. The album it's from is actually pretty good, surprisingly enough.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Woah I totally forgot Harvey Danger had a singular huge song. I think I even listened to their followup album and then forgot they existed for over a decade. Feels like the 90s had way more one hit wonders than we see today but I don't know if that's just my perception or if the nature of the medium has just changed how hits work and that's all it is.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

Len posted:

If you find it you gotta share it.

So holy poo poo, Goons are amazing and found it. While I played the English version of this, the beats and jokes are almost exactly the same as the Swedish version!

And I’m glad my memory was right, it’s exactly as nineties as I remember it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So I found what's almost definitely your game, but I don't know exactly what it's called in English - it looks like it's a pretty obscure Swedish game called Professor Salvadores, there's a video on YouTube with English subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZgMTJjI4Q0

cmndstab posted:

I decided to see if I could find the English version of that game, and I'm pretty sure this is it.

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/video-game-the-adventures-of-professor-solvadore-air-water/gAFTvYQlNBPDPQ

It was surprisingly difficult to Google!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

prayer group posted:

Holy poo poo this is awful. I was four when this came out, and to me it exemplifies everything I hated as a child about the music that would play on the radio while my parents drove us around. Meandering and undynamic, cheap-sounding synthesizers that still somehow cost thousands of dollars, some lame dude crooning a line like "go wash your hands and fingers until your mind is clean" (real quote from this song), and it's six and a half minutes long for some godforsaken reason.

That song is actually cool and good.

hth

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Sounds like bargain-bin wanna-be latter day Talk Talk.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

To be fair, Orzabal (the guy from Tears for Fears) always came across to me as an assholish pretentious dick and either seems to try too hard on their 90s albums (Elemental and Raoul) or maybe not to try at all at least lyrically.

TFF has done better than that before, but I still like their 90s material for some reason, maybe nostalgia. The piano outro from Mr. Pessimist sounds just too loving good to me so yeah get bent.

This is a very 90s looking video, by the way. Who the gently caress came up with those white flashes at every scene change?

https://vimeo.com/277624444

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

GelatinSkeleton posted:

You seem to like every band that sucks

This is the 90's thread, everybody's favorite band is poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ryonguy posted:

I have never heard a bad word about Sepultura even if Roots is the reason Nu-Metal blinked into existence.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ryonguy posted:

I will not hear a single bad word about Aqua in this thread :colbert:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

Roots is the reason Nu-Metal blinked into existence.
I don't love Roots (wife actually dragged me on social media for switching Roots for Gin Blossoms once when I was cooking dinner) but how is this true?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jojoinnit posted:

Feels like the 90s had way more one hit wonders than we see today but I don't know if that's just my perception or if the nature of the medium has just changed how hits work and that's all it is.
It's hard to conceptualize music artists now because we're old fucks and don't keep up with poo poo until it's blaring out of a TV spot or movie trailer. But it does seem harder to track since the ipod blew up the music market and killed the TRL model of popularization.

Anyway, the number of one-hit wonders from the 90s? It's because literally every music mogul and executive was desperately trying to find the next Nirvana. They wanted to recapture the same disruptive energy that Grunge had on the landscape and culture.
I think the closest they got was No Doubt. Eventually BSB and Britney Spears blew altrock out of the water, and a new generation of disposable also-ran imitators was born.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

jojoinnit posted:

Woah I totally forgot Harvey Danger had a singular huge song. I think I even listened to their followup album and then forgot they existed for over a decade. Feels like the 90s had way more one hit wonders than we see today but I don't know if that's just my perception or if the nature of the medium has just changed how hits work and that's all it is.
Yeah it might just be survivorship bias (and it's hard to know who is a one hit wonder until time passes and they have no more hits) but yeah I think social media vs. record labels/radio pushing things might have changed this. Like you get a following or you don't, and even a good pop song is less likely to get on the radar if you don't have a following, and a good following will get you some traction even on mediocre stuff. I suppose "back then you had a label that backs you or you didn't" would be the counter-argument.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

pangstrom posted:

I don't love Roots (wife actually dragged me on social media for switching Roots for Gin Blossoms once when I was cooking dinner) but how is this true?

Metal is my first music love, but it ain't dinner-cooking music. I'd end up burning the food even more than usual.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pangstrom posted:

I'm talking about the album from Sepultura called Roots.

FilthyImp posted:

It's hard to conceptualize music artists now because we're old fucks and don't keep up with poo poo until it's blaring out of a TV spot or movie trailer. But it does seem harder to track since the ipod blew up the music market and killed the TRL model of popularization.

Anyway, the number of one-hit wonders from the 90s? It's because literally every music mogul and executive was desperately trying to find the next Nirvana. They wanted to recapture the same disruptive energy that Grunge had on the landscape and culture.
I think the closest they got was No Doubt. Eventually BSB and Britney Spears blew altrock out of the water, and a new generation of disposable also-ran imitators was born.

It's most definitely this. Basically it was all garage bands with a minor contract, in an attempt to catch that lightning. Had it not been for Nirvana, most of these bands would have been happy being the first opener on a 3 state regional leg of a tour for a much larger band. It's also why the follow up albums were overproduced and the bands never took off beyond that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm talking about the album from Sepultura called Roots.

Oh duh, my bad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trabant posted:

Metal is my first music love, but it ain't dinner-cooking music. I'd end up burning the food even more than usual.

:same: I find Earth Wind and Fire to be perfect dinner cooking music somehow

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DizzyBum posted:

This and other crazy gimmicky board games were the poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5reqgy1W0

Boss: Johnson, did you manage to secure the Tasmanian Devil rights from Warner Brothers?
Johnson: Uhhh...

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

I will not hear a single bad word about Aqua in this thread :colbert:

Sup horrible music taste buddy :cool::hf::cool:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ryonguy posted:

Aqua is good, gently caress you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ryonguy posted:

Clearly you really need to see Dr Jones, STAT.

Killingyouguy! posted:

:hfive:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GelatinSkeleton posted:

You seem to like every band that sucks

every band i like is cool and good, friend

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

It's most definitely this. Basically it was all garage bands with a minor contract, in an attempt to catch that lightning. Had it not been for Nirvana, most of these bands would have been happy being the first opener on a 3 state regional leg of a tour for a much larger band. It's also why the follow up albums were overproduced and the bands never took off beyond that.

I kind of feel like that actually ruined a lot of bands. They had their moment in the sun, they got pushed like mad, and then executive meddling trying to force them to be The Next Big Thing caused them to poo poo out a garbage second album and then get discarded. Everybody remembered not only how huge punk rock had been but that punk rock was still going strong. It wasn't nearly as huge as grunge was at the time but that "gently caress you I'm doing what I want" edge was a factor in both grunge and alternative rock. It also didn't help that record companies had a deserved reputation at that point for pushing for albums that had two good songs and 40 minutes of filler. As time went by the big labels realized that they could sell an image rather than music. You can actually read about how a hell of a lot of the most famous pop musicians of the current day are 100% manufactured and largely fake. I forget who the musicians were but there was this big publicly forced rivalry between the two. They'd write songs at each other on their albums and show up in each others' music videos acting like "well I didn't want to do this but there's a contract sooooo..."

Then behind the scenes they were actually good friends acting a part. Mind, I don't blame them because, hey, gotta earn those Benjamins but the mainstream music industry is just a gigantic loving lie right now.

I got sidetracked and rambled but I feel like Kittie is a great example of the band that landed in the spotlight then immediately faded into obscurity after their second album. Spit is still one of my favorite albums ever but Oracle was...less so. Granted Spit came out in 2000 but their sound was 90's metal as gently caress.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jul 11, 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

the mainstream music industry is just a gigantic loving lie right now.

??? It's producing music on an industrial scale, seems like it's working as intended to me

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Killingyouguy! posted:

Aqua is good because even they had their own horrible knock-off similar style band in Toybox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlDjEd8gAkI

Which if you continue to go a little further down that pop-dance music hole, removing the feint attempts at being subtle about sex, and back a few more years, you'd wind up at E-Rotic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-A7-3_zYRY

If you cancel out the pop-dance vibe and switch to industrial, you wind up at Lords of Acid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1jzVJjk32E

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Lords of Acid was great, 14 year old me thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Then again I was big into Prozzak for a couple years too so my music tastes are questionable at best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3MtqWz4XuE

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The prozzak video that was supposed to be about tolerance but featured a skinhead saying 'it's OK to be white' or whatever aged like hot milk

Strange Disease is a bop though

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Antioch posted:

Lords of Acid was great, 14 year old me thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Then again I was big into Prozzak for a couple years too so my music tastes are questionable at best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3MtqWz4XuE

There's two three of us who remember Prozzak! Virgin Simon and Chad Milo, except supportive best friends.

edit: incremented count

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Trabant posted:

There's two three of us who remember Prozzak! Virgin Simon and Chad Milo, except supportive best friends.

edit: incremented count

Virgin Simon and Chad Milo except it's that version of the meme where they're married with a kid

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Here's a one hit wonder that pops into my brain once or twice a year then vanishes again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maz6jFdvn2Q

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Lords of Acid did the Mortal Kombat theme song (and Mortal Kombat: The Album, under the name "The Immortals") so they can do no wrong IMO

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Flight Bisque posted:

Here's a one hit wonder that pops into my brain once or twice a year then vanishes again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maz6jFdvn2Q

Wow I'd completely forgotten that one. I was tempted to mock them as Matchbox 20 imitators, which is possibly the lowest thing a band could be? But it turns out this song came out almost a year before Matchbox 20. :psyduck: It's like the missing link between the suckiness of Counting Crows and the suckiness of Matchbox 20.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imagined posted:

Wow I'd completely forgotten that one. I was tempted to mock them as Matchbox 20 imitators, which is possibly the lowest thing a band could be? But it turns out this song came out almost a year before Matchbox 20. :psyduck: It's like the missing link between the suckiness of Counting Crows and the suckiness of Matchbox 20.

Counting Crows was good, though.

Matchbox 20 had one good song, at least, which was 3am

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Randaconda posted:

:chloe:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:colbert:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I have never heard a bad word about Sepultura even if Roots is the reason Nu-Metal blinked into existence.

your timeline is literally backwards, considering Roots was inspired by Korn

a lot of older Sepultura fans loving hate Roots, too

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Randaconda posted:

Counting Crows was good, though.

Why are you ignoring “Smooth”

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Why are you ignoring “Smooth”

That was Rob Thomas and Santana :colbert:

( and i did like it, until it became the second most overplayed song I've ever heard, right behing Hey Ya)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
This song might have already been posted, but it's stuck in my head right now and is gently caress awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

that song is cool and good, my friend.

but this song by them is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5PtyrewSs