Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
We want a wagon rather than a sedan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
The S40/V50 are the same mechanically. I love driving my V50 but working on it is a constant source of frustration. Volvo/Ford obviously didn’t intend for it to last once the warranty expired (consider the cooling system plastic/no low coolant light situation, for example) and almost every repair I’ve taken on has been way harder than it needed to because the hardware/machining is cheap/cheaply done and stuff breaks/strips easily. If you’re paying someone else to fix it I guess it doesn’t matter but people don’t usually buy 10-15-year-old Volvos and take them to shops when they break, so be warned. :v:

I would recommend getting the newest/lowest-mileage one you can but there aren’t really good or bad years for the P1 cars. They are hard to mod from an audio/electrical perspective so if you want “modern” niceties like an aux input the 2007+ cars are better.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Oh are we talking about P1s? Cause I think I'm about to buy one
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ent=app_android

It's 3 hours away, I'm going up tomorrow on my day off and unless I see some glaring red flags or the questionable BHPH (tautology lol) refuses cash or tries some kind of absurdly scummy poo poo I'm pretty much taking it home. I know to look for motor mounts, what else should I keep an eye out for? There's got to be a reason it's that cheap, even at that mileage you normally have to fly across the country to get one at that price. (I was seriously considering a fly&drive from Montreal earlier this year because they just don't fuckin exist here)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 9, 2019

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
The paint on the passenger side looks funky but it’s hard to tell whether it’s dirt or shoddy paint work. I would plan on replacing some radiator hoses and maybe the coolant reservoir if it looks old.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
01 v70: Got my ecu back from xemodex, they said they couldn't find any faults in it, I had them copy it anyways gently caress it. First trip out with the car I noticed the brake lights were staying on and flicked the headlight switch in case that was it, then jiggles the pedal, the switch must be sticking or return spring is shot.

When I was playing with the light switch I left the parking lights on for an hour and a half...now don't have enough juice to start it! Waiting on AAA to jump me now. Here's a pic, it's a 1 owner with 99k. If I can put enough miles on it and get through emissions it'll be a keeper for me. Sun roof doesn't work and needs that top motor mount. Non turbo doesn't seem to pull that great until it hits high revs. Been sitting since November, I was gonna go wash it right now, but here's a pic anyway.

E- the sunroof fuse is good:rip:

always be closing fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 10, 2019

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

always be closing posted:

01 v70: Got my ecu back from xemodex, they said they couldn't find any faults in it, I had them copy it anyways gently caress it. First trip out with the car I noticed the brake lights were staying on and flicked the headlight switch in case that was it, then jiggles the pedal, the switch must be sticking or return spring is shot.

That brake light thing sounds like it's something goofy with the CEM or a bad relay on it. The CEM is really easy to remove if you wanted to see if any water got in there or anything, it was just a couple trim pieces and a 10mm bolt on mine.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Frohike999 posted:

That brake light thing sounds like it's something goofy with the CEM or a bad relay on it. The CEM is really easy to remove if you wanted to see if any water got in there or anything, it was just a couple trim pieces and a 10mm bolt on mine.

Oh cool, where is the cem?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If the switch is anything like the older ones, it has a semi-automatic adjustment. You depress the pedal and reach up under and shove the switch forward toward the pedal. Then when you let off the pedal it pushes it back to the correct position. If anyone was up there fidgeting with it, say to replace a heater core, (yes the brake light switch interferes with the heater core removal) then it might just be knocked out of position.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

always be closing posted:

Oh cool, where is the cem?

I'd try what LloydDobler suggested first, but if you wanted to check the CEM it'll be just under the the dash where you'd plug a code scanner in. XeModex has a good video on removal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdXsCdvhVg

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
And I keep forgetting to mention your v70 looks great!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks a lot guys I've gotta go to bed now but I'll report back in the morning. I got a jump drove home and then in the driveway started it up again to make sure it was charged, but it stumbled and died. Then I was was giving it a little gas to keep it running, it idled, then I revved it up some to like 3-4k and it died when I let off. Weird because it drove great on the way home.

I've got my scanner and I'll see if I can pull anything before work tonight.

This things been garage kept it's whole life, and I know once I out my buffer to it it will shine like crazy. I'm only into it for a g note so far, so hopefully doesn't need too much more.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Oh are we talking about P1s? Cause I think I'm about to buy one
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ent=app_android

It's 3 hours away, I'm going up tomorrow on my day off and unless I see some glaring red flags or the questionable BHPH (tautology lol) refuses cash or tries some kind of absurdly scummy poo poo I'm pretty much taking it home. I know to look for motor mounts, what else should I keep an eye out for? There's got to be a reason it's that cheap, even at that mileage you normally have to fly across the country to get one at that price. (I was seriously considering a fly&drive from Montreal earlier this year because they just don't fuckin exist here)

Polestar eligible!

https://engineered.polestar.com/en-ca/product/optimisation/c30-t5-fwd-manual-6-gear-2008-2

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

04 plate S60, 205k miles, issues with the dash display, the message display has been intermittent for ages, recently the display under the speedo was displaying occasional garbage, today it doesn't light up. It needs to show mileage for the MOT due in a couple of weeks, any suggestions?

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I'm definitely not an expert on this but there's a pretty good video on it showing it can be a soldering issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF9In7vGbeA

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

That reminds me, I need to convince my dad to polestar his V70 D3 from 136hp 450Nm to an astonishing 163hp 400Nm :getin:.

lol

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

04 plate S60, 205k miles, issues with the dash display, the message display has been intermittent for ages, recently the display under the speedo was displaying occasional garbage, today it doesn't light up. It needs to show mileage for the MOT due in a couple of weeks, any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure You can swap with a junkyard unit of the same year and matching part number, and as long as the miles are lower on the donor car it'll show the correct mileage. Basically both the dash and the ECU and maybe the CEM all store mileage and it displays the highest value.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Frohike999 posted:

I'm definitely not an expert on this but there's a pretty good video on it showing it can be a soldering issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF9In7vGbeA

Yup that matches, I got it all to work temporarily so fingers crossed it gets through the MOT then I'll hoik it out and reflow by drag soldering. Thank you.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It may already have been, it seemed to pull a bit harder than the last one I drove (but that was a few months back, my butt dyno doesn't hold calibration that long). I'll look into it once I get the PCV and cooling systems sorted. (yeah, I'm a Volvo guy now, got it for $5k)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

NumbersMatching320 posted:

It may already have been, it seemed to pull a bit harder than the last one I drove (but that was a few months back, my butt dyno doesn't hold calibration that long). I'll look into it once I get the PCV and cooling systems sorted. (yeah, I'm a Volvo guy now, got it for $5k)

It should have the blue sticker if its been Polestarred

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Debadged tho, could easily have pulled that sticker. Or an aftermarket tune, or it just felt really fast driving it immediately after driving just about 4 hours in a vehicle twice its weight with not much more power (that's the most likely one)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hi goons, 2004 V50 T5 station wagon, reasonably well maintained, no warning messages - I was driving yesterday for four hours and noticed the power cutting intermittently a few times, happened maybe seven or eight times a few hours into the trip. Engine just lost revs for a second a few times in an uneven, hiccuping sort of way. Any ideas?

I had a problem with the fuel gauge zeroing out a few weeks back that fixed itself when I put petrol/engine cleaner stuff in, so I wondered if it might be some dislodged goop clogging the fuel pump or something, but I don't know crap about cars so any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

sebmojo posted:

Hi goons, 2004 V50 T5 station wagon, reasonably well maintained, no warning messages - I was driving yesterday for four hours and noticed the power cutting intermittently a few times, happened maybe seven or eight times a few hours into the trip. Engine just lost revs for a second a few times in an uneven, hiccuping sort of way. Any ideas?

I had a problem with the fuel gauge zeroing out a few weeks back that fixed itself when I put petrol/engine cleaner stuff in, so I wondered if it might be some dislodged goop clogging the fuel pump or something, but I don't know crap about cars so any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Could be lots of things based on vague description...a few things that came to my mind:
-clogged fuel filter?
-old hoses/loss of vacuum?
-clogged/old injectors?
-cylinder issue?

Was it while you were at throttle or sitting at a stop?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Under throttle, open road, going 100kmh or so. It felt like it was running out of fuel for a few moments.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
If you've put cleaners in the fuel tank, i'd definitely start with the filters. Does the problem get worse with more throttle? If not, the fuel pump relay might be another potential culprit.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I changed the brake pads today and it cracked me up that the caliper is held on with 7mm hex bolts. How very IKEA of them! I was tempted to tape a couple allen keys to them before I was done.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Humbug posted:

If you've put cleaners in the fuel tank, i'd definitely start with the filters. Does the problem get worse with more throttle? If not, the fuel pump relay might be another potential culprit.

Thanks. I'll see how i go.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I don’t think the P1 cars have a replaceable fuel filter. Seems like the most common fuel delivery problems they have are faulty fuel pressure sensors and PEM/fuel pump driver modules. The former might set a code if it’s going bad and the latter fails eventually if it’s still in the original location under the car. You can rule that out if you look under the back seat on the driver’s side (in the US at least) and see a black box with a heat sink on it. Not sure about other markets but at least in the US they had a service campaign to relocate it inside the car since moisture/salt spray kills it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Also have a Volvo shop read out the codes or ask on Swedespeed if anyone local to you has a VIDA setup and can pull codes for you. Lots of guys don't mind helping out someone local if you bring a 6 pack, it justifies spending a couple hundred bucks on a code reader. If you happen to be in Denver I'll do it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm in NZ, but I've got a nice mechanic so I'll see if they will run me some codes. Does it have to be a Volvo certified one?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

They'll need the specific VIDA unit.
Grey market or otherwise, the codes don't report right without one.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah generic code readers will work for the EPA required codes related to emissions, but more detailed internal Volvo codes can only be read out by VIDA.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hellooo Volvo Crew.

Just got a '15 S60.

Anything I should know, about it, or modern Volvos?
Also, I'm really digging the car so far, coming from an '08 mazda6

deepspace.io
Aug 5, 2015

The Bananana posted:

Hellooo Volvo Crew.

Just got a '15 S60.

I'm currently in an 06 Mazda6 and looking to upgrade. Is the money work the upgrade?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Bananana posted:

Hellooo Volvo Crew.

Just got a '15 S60.

Which engine does it have?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Animal posted:

Which engine does it have?

Intercooled Turbo Regular Unleaded I-4 2.0L

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

deepspace.io posted:

I'm currently in an 06 Mazda6 and looking to upgrade. Is the money work the upgrade?

Well, um, I had the Mazda6 for 10 years, and I've had the s60 for all of 6 hours, so... yes. Hell yes.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Hmm...Volvo is making armored cars now...

https://www.volvocars.com/armoured-cars

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Volvo goons!

I am considering dumping my 3.0 Diesel luxobarge Jag for a more sensible hatchback type car. One of the things I'm looking at is the V40, probably '15 or '16. Likely a T2 or T3 since I'm not made of money and apparently no-one bought the quicker ones so finding them used is a problem.

Anything I should know? I've had a look around a couple and sat in them at dealers, it's got all the room I need (family of four) and I didn't immediately hate it when I sat in it (which happens a lot).

Example ad of similar to what I'd be looking at - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907230381368

For clarity, the other thing I'm considering is a Mazda 3 hatch, similar year.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

it's got all the room I need (family of four)

If you'd told me about the family before sitting in one, I would have said "definitely on the small side for that", but I guess you are the best judge of that.

As for the T2/T3 etc thing, Swedish tuner BSR gets the same hp numbers from the T2, T3 (and for 2016 T4) in their "step 1" tune.

The '15 T2 and T3 get the "old" Ford Ecoboost, same as in the Fiesta ST, while the '16 get the new VEA engine (in-house Volvo developed) if that matters to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If you'd told me about the family before sitting in one, I would have said "definitely on the small side for that", but I guess you are the best judge of that.

I dunno there's load of usable space in the car. More legroom and boot space (barely) than a Focus. It's not like a couple of kids absolutely demands a massive SUV.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As for the T2/T3 etc thing, Swedish tuner BSR gets the same hp numbers from the T2, T3 (and for 2016 T4) in their "step 1" tune.

The '15 T2 and T3 get the "old" Ford Ecoboost, same as in the Fiesta ST, while the '16 get the new VEA engine (in-house Volvo developed) if that matters to you.

This was confusing me, I knew that there was the switch in engines but it feels like some of the '16s available still have the old engines? Unless the ads are just plain wrong, I guess. It's super hard to judge from used car ads.

Also I can't tell what the big difference in the new engines was supposed to be other than maybe a bit more economic?