Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i googled the news about the gold asteroid coming and this was the first random link i clicked on

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/133034/700-quintillion-gold-asteroid-mined-nasa-paving-way-messiah-arrive/

im dying over here

wait for the pop up ad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
There's a lot of 80s nostalgia out there today, including a new farm crisis!

quote:

JPMorgan grew its farm-loan portfolio by 76 percent, to $1.1 billion, between 2008 and 2015, according to year-end figures, as other Wall Street players piled into the sector. Total U.S. farm debt is on track to rise to $427 billion this year, up from an inflation-adjusted $317 billion a decade earlier and approaching levels seen in the 1980s farm crisis, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

But now - after years of falling farm income and an intensifying U.S.-China trade war - JPMorgan and other Wall Street banks are heading for the exits, according to a Reuters analysis of the farm-loan holdings they reported to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).

The agricultural loan portfolios of the nation’s top 30 banks fell by $3.9 billion, to $18.3 billion, between their peak in December 2015 and March 2019, the analysis showed. That’s a 17.5% decline. 

Because banks are cutting them off from loans they need, more and more are filling for bankruptcy or selling out.

quote:

Chapter 12 federal court filings, a type of bankruptcy protection largely for small farmers, increased from 361 filings in 2014 to 498 in 2018, according to federal court records.

“My phone is ringing constantly. It’s all farmers,” said Minneapolis-St. Paul area bankruptcy attorney Barbara May. “Their banks are calling in the loans and cutting them off.”

Surveys show demand for farm credit continues to grow, particularly among Midwest grain and soybean producers, said regulators at the Federal Reserve Banks of Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis and Kansas City. U.S. farmers rely on loans to buy or refinance land and to pay for operational expenses such as equipment, seeds and pesticides.

Fewer loan options can threaten a farm’s survival, particularly in an era when farm incomes have been cut nearly in half since 2013.

https://reut.rs/30uyRck

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Surprise surprise, the Patron Saint of Shade is doing her best to throw AOC, Ilhan Omar and the other new congresswomen of color under the bus.

quote:

Since then, Pelosi has made several dismissive remarks about Ocasio-Cortez, calling her Green New Deal “the Green Dream or whatever,” and suggesting that a “glass of water” running as a Democrat could win in districts as liberal as hers.

I guarantee that the centrists in the DNC are teeing up to primary AOC and these uppity liberals so they can keep alive the trend of electing lukewarm center-rightists and pretend to be worth half a poo poo.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Bank buys them all up and then probably sells them at a profit to the mega farms/lease out the land

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BigDave posted:

There's a lot of 80s nostalgia out there today, including a new farm crisis!

And it's happening at just the right time too. poo poo tons of farmers in the Great Lakes are going to have almost zero yield this year because it rained for three months straight and they couldn't plant anything.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Funny how I got an email from the VA talking up the benefits of being a veteran farmer!
What a crazy coincidence!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bengy81 posted:

Funny how I got an email from the VA talking up the benefits of being a veteran farmer!
What a crazy coincidence!

Two of the most likely to commit suicide demographics in America. Round it out by being gay and you won't last the year.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I feel so bad for Pelosi. Here she is trying to stay leader of the congressional dems and these four newbees are loving up her carefully crafted efforts of doing nothing the last 16 years by having the gall to, you know, take positions on anything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

lol that kentucky doesn't have an AOC candidate literally anywhere

Yarmuth is happy to just represent Louisville and not lose miserably statewide. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Yarmuth

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/gfi7dr/the-colbert-report-better-know-a-district---kentucky-s-3rd---john-yarmuth

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Stravag posted:

I feel so bad for Pelosi. Here she is trying to stay leader of the congressional dems and these four newbees are loving up her carefully crafted efforts of doing nothing the last 16 years by having the gall to, you know, take positions on anything.

ACA was my landmark bill I helped support! Then let's it get slowly dismantled by the GOP and handicaps any effort to do M4A

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

ACA was my landmark bill I helped support! Then let's it get slowly dismantled by the GOP and handicaps any effort to do M4A

Pelosi passed a public option in the house, which couldn't pass the Senate because Republicans filibustered. So the house had to either pass the Senate version or pass nothing.

Like you can blame her for a lot of things, but the ACA and everything that's happened to it is definitely not one of them.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I blame anyone who thinks that passing a warmed over 90s Republican healthcare bill was some landmark accomplishment and not an overwhelming indictment of how far both parties have gone to the right

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I blame anyone who thinks that passing a warmed over 90s Republican healthcare bill was some landmark accomplishment and not an overwhelming indictment of how far both parties have gone to the right

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Yeah, a real leftist would push for all healthcare being paid for and administered by the state. Personally, I think that everything that one would need to survive should be government owned, leaving it in private or corporate hands just means it will be exploited. We know that will happen, it always happens.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A wildlife photographer captured footage of two bears duking it out. It’s wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmMBN8bpyzE

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Oh and Louisiana is probably gonna get clobbered by a hurricane.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Latest on a tropical weather system in the Gulf of Mexico (all times local):

10:05 a.m.

Tropical Storm Barry has formed in the Gulf of Mexico and forecasters say it could become a hurricane as it threatens Louisiana's coast.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center says the storm's maximum sustained winds Thursday morning are near 40 mph (64 kph) with additional strengthening expected during the next day or two.

A tropical storm warning is now in effect for the Louisiana coast from the mouth of the Pearl River to Morgan City.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

A wildlife photographer captured footage of two bears duking it out. It’s wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmMBN8bpyzE

there was a video of a dog and bear cub play fighting and the bear cub was hip tossing the dog

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I can’t wait to see Trump fly down there to throw paper towels, realize NOLA has black people and 360 right back into the plane.

Louisiana is like, practically part of France, it’s not really America, right?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Grizzlyman: I can totally domesticate that

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Acadian, they're french maritimer's that got the boot when the British took lower Canada or w/e the aftermath of the plains of Abraham were

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BigDave posted:

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Latest on a tropical weather system in the Gulf of Mexico (all times local):

Tropical Storm Barry has formed in the Gulf of Mexico and forecasters say it could become a hurricane as it threatens Louisiana's coast.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center says the storm's maximum sustained winds Thursday morning are near 40 mph (64 kph) with additional strengthening expected during the next day or two.

A tropical storm warning is now in effect for the Louisiana coast from the mouth of the Pearl River to Morgan City.

Did the old Hurricane thread get closed because too many goons lusted for mass human death, or do they just seasonally make a new one?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Swamp French

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BigDave posted:

Thanks, Obama

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

Grizzlyman: I can totally domesticate that

Project Grizzly: I can totally win a knife fight with that

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Acadian, they're french maritimer's that got the boot when the British took lower Canada or w/e the aftermath of the plains of Abraham were

Yeah it was a bit of a genocide type thing. Women on one boat, men on another, children wherever, move them out of the way so they don’t interfere with the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_the_Acadians

The French word is “deportation”, expulsion is a bit of an understatement.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah it was a bit of a genocide type thing. Women on one boat, men on another, children wherever, move them out of the way so they don’t interfere with the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_the_Acadians

The French word is “deportation”, expulsion is a bit of an understatement.

You found it, the white genocide everyone online always talks about

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Did the old Hurricane thread get closed because too many goons lusted for mass human death, or do they just seasonally make a new one?

Much like the everest thread, one of the old ones got moved to a secluded subforum and took on life of its own as "the good thread" while annual GBS threads keep away the riffraff

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762868&pagenumber=206&perpage=40

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

colachute posted:

i think i figured out a core problem with political discourse

people are way too pedantic

It matters when people are choosing the language intentionally though. Anti-abortion-choice (thanks, Stultus) activists calling themselves "anti-abortion" or "pro-life" is crafted to create the assumption that the other side is pro-abortion or pro-baby death. Which is of course bullshit, since the spectrum of policies on the pro-abortion-choice end of things - education, healthcare, etc - provably reduce the incidence of abortions and improve outcomes for both mothers and children.

If you let opponents frame the argument, you're fighting an uphill battle.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Deleted. What did it say?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1149345683138367491

Deleted as our favorite good (great) stable genius President does not understand how fractions work and also he @-ed some random account for Alfred E

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

McNally posted:

https://factba.se/topic/deleted-tweets

It's almost always a spelling or formatting error he then reposts. The president isn't capable of self-reflection to reconsider the appropriateness of his message even when the rants are especially unhinged.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Imagine liking someone like that

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Imagine liking someone like that

Imagine believing he's doing a good job

Imagine believing him about anything

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie's just trying to show off his ref-working skills with all of his grifter friends.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1149375334875357184?s=19

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Who the gently caress are those people?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

Who the gently caress are those people?

You sweet, summer child. Rather than list out what all of those idiots are known for (lying and pro-trump Twitter memes), enjoy the President giving in:

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1149379841810227201?s=19

The Commerce Department's survey is basically a part of the unemployment survey, not the actual census poo poo used for apportionment of seats. They can't use the information to affect districts.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

facialimpediment posted:

The Commerce Department's survey is basically a part of the unemployment survey, not the actual census poo poo used for apportionment of seats. They can't use the information to affect districts.

Do you think this will stop them?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

:lol: "can't"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yes! I meant "can't" as in "not able", not as in "not permitted". It's different data entirely.

The Census shoots for a 100% response rate to figure out how many people exist in given states. Literally everyone will be getting a copy, even illegal immigrants. It's like a $15B effort.

The Commerce Department figures out the unemployment rate with what's essentially a phone poll. You get called up/contacted by a Commerce Department person, get asked if you have a job, are looking for a job, the last time you had a job, and how much you make. They then interview a few thousand folks, do some scientific data extrapolation, then boom, you get the U1-U6 unemployment rates.

Donnie's just going to make those Commerce Department people ask about the respondent's citizenship. They are literally not able to take that information and plug it into the Census information to affect apportionment. It's completely different data that doesn't plug in right.

It's really stupid to do that, but it doesn't affect apportionment of seats, which is what they wanted to gently caress with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

facialimpediment posted:

Yes! I meant "can't" as in "not able", not as in "not permitted". It's different data entirely.

The Census shoots for a 100% response rate to figure out how many people exist in given states. Literally everyone will be getting a copy, even illegal immigrants. It's like a $15B effort.

The Commerce Department figures out the unemployment rate with what's essentially a phone poll. You get called up/contacted by a Commerce Department person, get asked if you have a job, are looking for a job, the last time you had a job, and how much you make. They then interview a few thousand folks, do some scientific data extrapolation, then boom, you get the U1-U6 unemployment rates.

Donnie's just going to make those Commerce Department people ask about the respondent's citizenship. They are literally not able to take that information and plug it into the Census information to affect apportionment. It's completely different data that doesn't plug in right.

Good thing they can’t like... change it so they can add it.

I’m just gaslighting but I wouldn’t put it past this admin to try.