Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also the galaxy-brained psychic antmen are burrowing up from the center of Caen to enslave the surface dwellers. They've got an enormous underground city and have made common cause with Cryx until the inevitable betrayal. Honestly, given how evil the two sides are they probably only made an alliance for the joy of betraying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also also, I'm real curious who counts as human at this point. Presumably not the Satyxxis and the wild carnivorous humans.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Also also, I'm real curious who counts as human at this point. Presumably not the Satyxxis and the wild carnivorous humans.

tharn aren't human; menoth excommunicated them a loooooong rear end time ago. presumably same with satyrix.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Relevant Tangent posted:

Also the galaxy-brained psychic antmen are burrowing up from the center of Caen to enslave the surface dwellers. They've got an enormous underground city and have made common cause with Cryx until the inevitable betrayal. Honestly, given how evil the two sides are they probably only made an alliance for the joy of betraying it

Wait, has something happened with Cephalyx? Might there be new stuff?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah we don't know a ton about the Orgoth occupation but it was clearly extremely bad.

I hope the Orgoth show up on the other side of the galaxy in Spacemachine.

!Klams posted:

They previewed new Riot Quest models for them, so yes to that at least.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

!Klams posted:

Nothing new to my knowledge. Just the rulebook.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Forgot the part where Baba Yaga let out the ghoulies from purgatory to try and slow down the arrival of the devils.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Nothing new to my knowledge. Just the rulebook.

There will be one new Cephalyx solo coming out via Riotquest.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Thought I’d ask here before going to SAMart/eBay/bartertown. Anybody in the market for a crap ton of Skorne that doesn’t include any Exalted stuff? I can get a list and better pics if desired.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man Riot Quest looks really dumb in all the right ways. I'm actually a lot more interested in it than I thought I'd be. Definitely seems like a fun casual game.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

OK, I've only played one game of Hordes, so apologies if I get most/all of the terminology wrong.

I'm going to be playing in a Warmahordes league at a local wargames club. I'm told it's a "Journeyman League" starting at 0 points. We're just doing leader plus jacks/beasts for the first month.

League Rules posted:

Players pick a faction and then pick a Warcaster/warlock

Month 1 - Battlegroup only 0 points

Month 2 – Battlegroup only 15 points

Month 3 - 25 points - no huge bases

Month 4 – 35 points - no huge bases

Month 5 – 50 points – allow huge bases

Month 6 – 50 point steamroller tournament

A player cannot change the caster.

You can only remove one model or unit per month. You can add as many as points allow.

No characters until week 3, except your warlock out warcaster

Huge bases are only allowed in month 5

Most overall points wins the league. Here are the available points

Game Points per month, can only be gained once per month. Each is worth 1

Play a game

Win a game killing the opponents warlock/warcaster

Score the most control points (do not need to win)

Killing more army points than your opponent

Willing with only your warlock/warcaster left on the table (never give up)

Use a power attack

Killing your opponent’s warlock/warcaster with a power attack (direct or collateral), this is an additional point to the use of power attack and the warlock/warcaster kill.

Something really awesome/convoluted! – can claim per month decided by popular vote of available players.

I'm borrowing/potentially buying a friend's Skorne, and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to build an army. I have access to:

(this is all from his handwriting, so probably full of typos)

quote:

Xekaar
Nesheth
Hexoris 2
Morghoul 1

Basilisk Drake x2
Basilisk Krea x 2
Cyclops Raider x 2
Cyclops Savage x 4
Bronzeback Titan x 1
Titan Gladiator x 2
Rhinodon x 1
Chiron x 1

Cataphract Arcuarii x 6
Nihilator x 10
Paingiver Beast Handler x 12
Praetorian Ferox x 3
Praetorian Swordsman x 10

Aptimus Marketh
Void Spirit
Paingiver Taskmaster
Tyrant Rhadeim

My intro game was with Morghoul, 2x Cyclops Savage, Titan Gladiator. Is there a better plan with the models I have available?

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Folks I have a large retribution collection I'm looking rid of.

Anyone interested in jumping to ret?

https://imgur.com/a/pVUm4Ug

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Haven't played in forever'n'ever, or really been following, basically since I guess infernals were announced? Anyone know if there's been any Cephalyx news? Someone said there was a new solo coming out for that futuristic game that I guess you can use in Warmachine regular?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
A bunch of (if not all?) the Riot Quest characters are going to have Warmachine rules as mercs/minions and a few partisans.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Someone here was claiming rumours of a 3rd cephalyx warcaster, but take that with a grain of salt.

Unrelated to that, there is a rules revision planned soon which will change theme forces and maybe some core rules like warbeast packs and some other model adjustments. They may or may not get benefit adjustment on a per theme basis, and gamewide free models from theme changing from 'one per X points of units' to 'X models when you choose this theme'. So, for example, that'd let you run monstrosity spam without missing out on free stuff in operating theatre.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
To expand, it's "X requisition points per 25pts". A req point can sometime give you two specific solos, or a bonus unit, for exemple.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The lead designer really likes playing Cephalyx so I wouldn't be surprised if they get something, we know there's at least one Riot Quest model they'll get, presumably as a solo.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

When does all that theme stuff go live?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
We get early release at Gen-con in August and full release in September.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Skorne loses their Beast theme, but now has 75% of it folded into Disciples of Agony. Meaning any caster can be paired with minion beasts. Is this as good as it sounds? Because it sounds like X2 is gonna give to ya with speed 7 cheaper and more efficient war hogs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
i figure they're going to kill a lot of the jack/beast themes cause they're too limited and honestly pretty boring.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rkajdi posted:

So Skorne loses their Beast theme, but now has 75% of it folded into Disciples of Agony. Meaning any caster can be paired with minion beasts. Is this as good as it sounds? Because it sounds like X2 is gonna give to ya with speed 7 cheaper and more efficient war hogs.

It's amazing and great and I love it. Hoping they do the same thing with the dhunia theme, or refocus it around elemental troll abilities.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So far all the theme changes, the whole change in philosophy of them, sound really promising.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

It's amazing and great and I love it. Hoping they do the same thing with the dhunia theme, or refocus it around elemental troll abilities.

Agreed. I was worried that the DoA theme would be crippled by the changes, but honestly it just got better. The only thing you lose from Imperial Warhost is Tibbers in a theme and hyper-aggressive, both of which are alright but not worth what is gained. Another legit thought-- X2 + Chiron + a bunch of basilisks. I know the dude ranch was something that was thrown around before, but Chiron adds a lot to it. Plus you can actually take a unit or two of say brigands or just some key solos so you don't get frozen out on scenario.

I've also been salivating at being able to play Vyros2 Vyre light synergy spam list without giving up 15-20 pts. It's interesting to see a bunch of these moves have lists going back towards heavier battlegroups, while also keeping some variety. I think themes did a lot to kill variety in beast/jack lists, and moving back this towards more diversity and away from fairly rote infantrymachine is a good step towards getting more people engaged.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I feel like they're downplaying the impact the theme reworks are going to have, which is weird because, at least locally, a lot of people have left the game since the advent of MK3 themes. I would think you would want to use Oblivion as a chance to advertise that the game is changing and they might want to have another look.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I mean, they're doing weeks of teasers, and it's still over a month out from the release of Oblivion. The current themes have definitely run their course though. I'm hoping the actual model changes will help a bit too.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 11, 2019

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I feel like the teasers are great for building up hype with folks who stayed(I'm excited), but I've felt like the spreading around of info so thinly since LnL makes it harder to figure out the whole scope of the thing. Also, Warmachine podcasts aren't going to have a lot of people who aren't playing anymore in their audiences. They could have done an edition number change to signal the scale of the changes to the game more widely, but they chose not to, though I'm not sure why not at this point, as there is essentially zero paper material that would need to be updated and it would signal to folks to double back and have another look very clearly.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 11, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

There aren't nearly enough changes to warrant calling it a new edition imo. Really they should get something on something like Beasts of War but I dunno man

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

THIS is the time high shields and ogrun assault corps become good. This time for sure. :pray:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Captainicus posted:

THIS is the time high shields and ogrun assault corps become good. This time for sure. :pray:

:smith:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Captainicus posted:

Hahaha, imagine! If they just gave highshields back jack marshal, I'd at least consider them! It's still so funny to me that after being arguably the worst unit in mkii, they took a nerf.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

S.J. posted:

There aren't nearly enough changes to warrant calling it a new edition imo. Really they should get something on something like Beasts of War but I dunno man

That's fair. I think once you get to the point of getting rid of hills, you're at that point. And further, because they made themes so vital to the game, overhauling all the themes at once seems like an edition level change. But even if it isn't, it seems like they're missing out on a chance to try to bring people back into the game by taking a big change and slapping "Oblivion," a title that doesn't really mean anything, on it.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

counterspin posted:

That's fair. I think once you get to the point of getting rid of hills, you're at that point. And further, because they made themes so vital to the game, overhauling all the themes at once seems like an edition level change. But even if it isn't, it seems like they're missing out on a chance to try to bring people back into the game by taking a big change and slapping "Oblivion," a title that doesn't really mean anything, on it.

Calling it 3.5 would be warranted.

The new Ravens of War theme is nice.

A Legion "Theme" that actually has a theme. No idea whether this will be good, but there's nice changes all over the place and it seems to have a coherent design philosophy.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I'm still not sure about this theme, even with the addition of the character 'jacks. Not having Severius0 feels bad

edit: Also Avatar's point cost goes down from 20 to 18, and it can now be included in at least 2 more theme forces, but it still can't use your warjack points or be in a battlegroup.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 11, 2019

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I want to care, but I haven't rolled a dice in almost 2 years, and I haven't picked up a paintbrush in probably 10 months.

I can't remember the last time I opened war room or made an army list (I think it might have been the Exalted CID)

I want to care, but I just can't bring myself to. My local group is still going strong, but I moved and it's a haul to get to them.

I never realized that this is a game where if you step away from it for even just a little bit, it's incredibly daunting to come back into.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Maneck posted:

Calling it 3.5 would be warranted.

The new Ravens of War theme is nice.

A Legion "Theme" that actually has a theme. No idea whether this will be good, but there's nice changes all over the place and it seems to have a coherent design philosophy.

It's a theme that stresses speed but includes a unit that can't move

S.J.
May 19, 2008

waah posted:

I want to care, but I haven't rolled a dice in almost 2 years, and I haven't picked up a paintbrush in probably 10 months.

I can't remember the last time I opened war room or made an army list (I think it might have been the Exalted CID)

I want to care, but I just can't bring myself to. My local group is still going strong, but I moved and it's a haul to get to them.

I never realized that this is a game where if you step away from it for even just a little bit, it's incredibly daunting to come back into.

Honestly I feel this, but I also think you're over thinking it. Once the new Oblivion stuff goes live, you can literally just throw a list together of whatever with your favorite caster from back in the day and get your free benefits and models. Just go for it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hey guys. Jack Marshaled jacks can shake now. You're welcome.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
if that means they're putting in more jack marshal's in the game. I'm all about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

mp5 posted:

I'm still not sure about this theme, even with the addition of the character 'jacks. Not having Severius0 feels bad

edit: Also Avatar's point cost goes down from 20 to 18, and it can now be included in at least 2 more theme forces, but it still can't use your warjack points or be in a battlegroup.

Requisition means a lot for the avatar TBH - the problem with him is that he's no good in full-jack lists because those are about battlegroup buffs, and he's no good in infantry lists because those didn't want to spend any points outside WJP to maximise free stuff. But now he's a pretty good option for a caster who wants an extra heavy after WJP. I might put him back in my Vindictus lists as an endgame piece.