Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

The reins of history back in the hands of man!

Man promptly genocides the moogles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Listen... it's a bad idea, but it's ours to make. That's basically the argument in FFXII "Humanity is going to gently caress this up, it needs a guiding hand to stop it from ruining itself." "Maybe, but I'd rather have the ability to gently caress it up than not have that choice at all."

Just because it turned out the Occuria were TOTALLY loving CORRECT that man absolutely hosed it up, doesn't mean man didn't deserve to dictate their own history.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The reins of history back in the hands of man!

The VA for this is exquisite, who is it?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Onmi posted:

Listen... it's a bad idea, but it's ours to make. That's basically the argument in FFXII "Humanity is going to gently caress this up, it needs a guiding hand to stop it from ruining itself." "Maybe, but I'd rather have the ability to gently caress it up than not have that choice at all."

Just because it turned out the Occuria were TOTALLY loving CORRECT that man absolutely hosed it up, doesn't mean man didn't deserve to dictate their own history.

I did think it was pretty cool that both The Good Guys and Vayne both were pretty much working toward the same goal, only Vayne just wanted added world domination.

Turns out that goal was to eventually nerf their entire society and throw poo poo back into the dark ages, but whatever.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Omelette, eggs, etc.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HD DAD posted:

Turns out that goal was to eventually nerf their entire society and throw poo poo back into the dark ages, but whatever.

well, the sum total of the political experience ashe ever actually got was being in an arranged marriage for all of half a day. the only thing she really ever learned how to do was scrounge around in endless dungeons for hours on end, is it any surprise she was a poo poo tier leader who blasted ivalice back into the stone age?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 11, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Luso should have usurped the throne.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Downloaded 14, had to wait awhile to get in because apparently their servers are totally overloaded right now, was soon greeted with this:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Big Bizness posted:

Downloaded 14, had to wait awhile to get in because apparently their servers are totally overloaded right now, was soon greeted with this:

:getin:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Incidentally there are settings for hiding or shortening names as you like, XIV is super customizable UI-wise overall.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
god creates moogles, god destroys moogles, god creates man, man destroys god,

Mega64
May 23, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

god creates moogles, god destroys moogles, god creates man, man destroys god,

Yes, it is a Final Fantasy game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just be thankful Ivalice hadn't invented chainsaws.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kanfy posted:

Incidentally there are settings for hiding or shortening names as you like, XIV is super customizable UI-wise overall.

Except, unless it was added recently, an option to make text legible on the PS4.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

when do "measures" show up in XII? i made b-dawg a machinist out the gate thinking it would be like edward from VI and he's got "measures" as things on his board and i unlocked the first two because i'm an idiot that expected he would be finding some in the opening act, but i'm now apparently 1/3 through the game and haven't encountered a single one. are they still going to be like edward's tools or are they more like the calculator things from FFT or what are they and where are they.

also when do ninja swords show up? i made vaan the ninja class and worked my way over to the 100 point grind spot to open ninja swords and i can't find them in any shop. i thought unlocking them on his board would add them to shops but nope apparently i'm too dumb to play this game.

seriously the PC re-re-release should have included warning signs before you buy nodes like "hey dumbass this cool thing you're about to buy won't actually show up in the game for 40 more hours are you sure you want to waste points on this?"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

when do "measures" show up in XII? i made b-dawg a machinist out the gate thinking it would be like edward from VI and he's got "measures" as things on his board and i unlocked the first two because i'm an idiot that expected he would be finding some in the opening act, but i'm now apparently 1/3 through the game and haven't encountered a single one. are they still going to be like edward's tools or are they more like the calculator things from FFT or what are they and where are they.

also when do ninja swords show up? i made vaan the ninja class and worked my way over to the 100 point grind spot to open ninja swords and i can't find them in any shop. i thought unlocking them on his board would add them to shops but nope apparently i'm too dumb to play this game.

seriously the PC re-re-release should have included warning signs before you buy nodes like "hey dumbass this cool thing you're about to buy won't actually show up in the game for 40 more hours are you sure you want to waste points on this?"

Measures are never useful at any point, and you won't use them even when you do find them. Just ignore those licenses in future and regard any spent on them already as wasted LP.

The ninja swords are in treasure chests somewhere in the world or in the bazaar (unlocked by selling specific secret combinations of random drop items to shops). If you get the licenses for them but never find them then you also wasted your LP. Never buy licenses for things you haven't found because they may be essentially impossible to obtain without grinding and guides and there's no real way to know. Have fun with your game!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 11, 2019

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Measures apply buffs to anything you attack. They are basically pointless

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The original release of FF12 also hid a bunch of gambits in random treasure chests throughout the world, but this was changed for the rerelease.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

LP is trivial as gently caress to get though and if you use the "Double LP" accessories at all you should have the vast majority if not all licenses for a job around mid-game or so.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

measures are weapon which do terrible damage and apply beneficial statuses to targets, the only actual use for them is to attack your own party members with them in order to get good statuses(which you could also get from just casting those buffs on them, without also hurting them a little and replacing a party member's weapon with useless garbage)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For how far you are: I believe the next goal is to go to the Skariff in the South to figure out what to do next? At this point things become more directly goal-oriented, though there are still some long stretches between plot points. A couple of notes that may help:
--Vaan is the viewpoint character, but not the main character. The game pretends otherwise at the start but now it's Ashe's story and he's going to be neglected until the end.
--There's a lot of politics going on, if that's not your thing I can understand glazing over at the cutscenes. It gets clearer right about now, instead of "Bujerba sides with the resistance but needs to pretend to be under the thrall of the Empire up to and including selling out Ashe, at least until she can get proof of her lineage so she can actually diplomacy with everyone else. Now we need to get everyone together to do the diplomacy and figure out how to navigate politics and who our allies are." it's "Go here to do that. Things may happen along the way." The party has congealed and has its goal together.
--If you go pursuing side hunts it's easy to get VERY lost. This can be fun, and you can get to a whole lot of the map right around now, just be aware that that's a deep rabbit-hole to go down and you shouldn't feel compelled to do everything that opens up before the next step of quest.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HD DAD posted:

Lmao when does this poo poo happen? Is there some sort of extended media stuff with FF12 somewhere like a tie-in novel or something?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
DrNutt, I shouldn't be the one to break your dream like this, but...FFXII takes place on Ivalice, in the past of FFT. Look at what Ivalice in the time of FFT looks like versus what it looks like in FFXII.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Lmao when does this poo poo happen? Is there some sort of extended media stuff with FF12 somewhere like a tie-in novel or something?

afaik FF12 Ivalice is the precursor to FFT Ivalice where all the non-human races got wiped out along with all the fancy airship tech or something like that

It sounds dumb and I just ignore it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Although if it makes you feel better, Ivalice is also on Eorzea in FF14, and everybody gets a good ending, especially Delita, who objectively did nothing wrong dont @ me.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Delita betraying Gortana is just culling dumb nobles so that's a plus for me!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm just going to go ahead and maintain the head canon that FFXII is a sequel and later in the timeline than FFT because the other way sounds dumb as hell.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Or you could just go with the actual canon that FFT takes place in FF14.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gologle posted:

Or you could just go with the actual canon that FFT takes place in FF14.

Possibly. I just finished the main ARR story so I haven't gotten to any DLC content yet. Looking forward to getting many more extended series references in the near future.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's also some Tactics Ogre references in FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFSwDMDzsOg

But not enough. GIVE ME CANOPUS SQUARE!!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Onmi posted:

I've thought of it before but FFXII really is a lot like a Shin Megami Tensei game.

Except your only choice is Neutral. Vayne was Dark-Neutral I guess.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I always liked the idea that FFT was a dark age of technology, with lore referencing the fantastical age of magic with crazy airships that's now lost to time, and then FFXII is actually getting to see that era of history for what it was.

That order does make it a little depressing that the party's victory in XII is "we won the right to nuke ourselves into a dark age" but the concept is cool

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's also some Tactics Ogre references in FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFSwDMDzsOg

But not enough. GIVE ME CANOPUS SQUARE!!

Gonna be real, if FFXIV let me re-experience Ultimate rear end in a top hat Mode Vyce and punch him in his sniveling little face, I'd absolutely take the risk of buying into a genre I hate just for that

When the gently caress is square going to give us a follow up to LUCT. I need another game with as clever and thematic a branching storyline as tactics ogre

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

I always liked the idea that FFT was a dark age of technology, with lore referencing the fantastical age of magic with crazy airships that's now lost to time, and then FFXII is actually getting to see that era of history for what it was.

That order does make it a little depressing that the party's victory in XII is "we won the right to nuke ourselves into a dark age" but the concept is cool

It’s only depressing in that FF12’s ultimate ending parallels real life.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive always assumed FFT takes place in a backwater island like the size of England (not the UK, England) and beyond their weird isolationist genocidal borders the rest of Ivalice is chugging along.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Orlandu is half Bangaa.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

ninjewtsu posted:

i always like to think that by FFT's era the other races of ivalice and such have just gone "jfc let's leave these humans alone and live elsewhere and let them carry out their wars with each other there"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Where have all the bunnygirls gone?
Long time ago
Weeaboos creeped them all away
When will they ever learn?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean the occuria dimension is a physical place you can visit and is filled with massive city like structures so a) seems like plenty of space for the other species and b) I want to blow it up and am mad that wasnt what you did in FFXII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Arguably that wasn't the point of FFXII.