Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Germans coated their tanks with a special barium-sawdust-wood glue paste to protect against magnetic anti-tank grenades, because they were worried the Russians would use magnetic anti-tank grenades against their tanks.

The Red Army never deployed a magnetic anti-tank grenade. Neither did the British or Americans.

It clearly worked then: not a single tank was destroyed by a magnetic anti-tank grenade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another triumph for German engineering!

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

It clearly worked then: not a single tank was destroyed by a magnetic anti-tank grenade.

'Zimmerit', about the time that they stopped applying it was about the time the Russians started using captured German magnetic 'safe-crackers' to pop unsupported Panzers open when using captured Panzerfausts wasn't appropriate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Vasiliy, you gave me the spicey magnet!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

'Zimmerit', about the time that they stopped applying it was about the time the Russians started using captured German magnetic 'safe-crackers' to pop unsupported Panzers open when using captured Panzerfausts wasn't appropriate.

Brilliant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Nazis were so incompetent it was hilarious. Virtually all of their intelligence agents in Britain got captured, turned double, or never existed and were created by double-agents to fool the Abwehr. Some attempted British infiltrators were caught because they drove on the wrong side of the road and were found to have German sausages and toiletry products when searched.

Werner von Janowski probably holds the record for "worst spy." He was dropped on a Canadian beach by a submarine with vague orders to meet up with the Canadian Fascist Party (though they had outdated information on how to actually contact them). Walked into a hotel in Montreal smelling like he had been cooped up in a U-boat for days, wearing a suit with a German cut, lighting his cigarettes with matches made in occupied Belgium, and having a faint German accent. When the police asked him for ID, he just gave up and admitted to being a German spy.

His infiltration lasted 12 hours and he spent the rest of the war in a prison camp.

There's also Alfred Langbein. He didn't give a poo poo about being a spy and promptly threw away his radio and began living off the thousands of dollars he was given, then quietly turned himself in when he ran out of cash.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The British supplied the Russians with something like a million limpet anti-tank mines during WW2

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_Garc%C3%ADa

Worked as a double agent against the Germans before being accepted by the British. Created fictional spies, convinced the Germans to pay a pension to the widow of one of his dead, entirely fake, spies, and was awarded the iron cross AND a OBE.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/c9iml2/guy_uses_a_rc_panzer_tank_controlled_with_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Munro (WMSL 755) crew members interdict a self-propelled semi-submersible suspected drug smuggling vessel (SPSS) June 18, 2019, while operating in international waters of the Eastern Pacific Ocean. They then proceed to tactically board the semi-submersible vessel.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

golden bubble posted:

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Munro (WMSL 755) crew members interdict a self-propelled semi-submersible suspected drug smuggling vessel (SPSS) June 18, 2019, while operating in international waters of the Eastern Pacific Ocean. They then proceed to tactically board the semi-submersible vessel.

:magical:

Is that boarding party wearing tac gear and plate carriers and no flotation?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

MrYenko posted:

If you're gonna go down....go down like a champ I guess.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Plating or no plating their balls of steel would drag them down to the deep.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

golden bubble posted:

I’m tired and mistook “self-propelled” as “driverless/autonomous”, and spent most of the video giggling at what I though were dudes yelling angry Spanish at a robot submarine.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

MrYenko posted:

P sure the carrier itself is also a floatation device per my coastie friends

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

This is correct. I don't know exactly what those guys use, but there are inserts and devices you can wear under the carrier that inflate to give you enough buoyancy to not sink, though I don't think I'd want to hang out at sea in that situation for long.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Kind of amazing we don’t have bullet-proof scuba gear for just this very purpose.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, because I was wondering what would happen if the sub just submerged.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay, because I was wondering what would happen if the sub just submerged.

Usually the sub would sink. They're (generally) semi-submersibles, but they need to snorkel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

Usually the sub would sink. They're (generally) semi-submersibles, but they need to snorkel.

They also have little to no actual pressure vessel or trim tanks. They are semi-submersibles, more akin to a monitor than Submarines, they are a boat with a very, very shallow waterline

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Those things can’t dive.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The Plate Carriers have bladders that can be inflated manually, or as some civilian flotation devices, have an auto inflate once submerged.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

evil_bunnY posted:

Those things can’t dive.

Well, they can once.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

Well, they can once.

Everything that sinks is a submarine if you think about it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

CommieGIR posted:

My feelings are a submarine?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

At least once for certain, twice if lucky.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

This is correct. I don't know exactly what those guys use, but there are inserts and devices you can wear under the carrier that inflate to give you enough buoyancy to not sink, though I don't think I'd want to hang out at sea in that situation for long.

VBSS dudes can also wear a thinn wet suit under tactical uniform. Or that uniform itself might have wet component.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

My feelings are a submarine?

Only if it blossoms on the battlefield.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CommieGIR posted:

They also have little to no actual pressure vessel or trim tanks. They are semi-submersibles, more akin to a monitor than Submarines, they are a boat with a very, very shallow waterline

Yep! If they could actually submerge, even just a few feet, they'd be much harder to find. Instead they're usually fiberglass topped with a giant concave hull making them a good radar reflector at certain angles. On top of that you can see what I'm assuming is a hot exhaust tube based on the length, very easy to find on IR as well if it is.

What I'm saying is I'm pivoting my company to build halfway decent narco subs.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1150378408783896577?s=19

Uhhhh those guns don't look finished or what am I looking at?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They're anti-drone radio transmitters.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Someone needs to take those guns out of their sprues and paint them properly!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/yazmakistemeyen/status/1150405517422092289?s=19

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
“French army ready to fight against foreigners” for those of you wondering

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/...ingawful.com%2F

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

lmao okay so now let's watch him engage a target while riding that thing

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Some people hate fun.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

lmao okay so now let's watch him engage a target while riding that thing

uhhh computers do the shooting from mobile platforms don't they?

edit: useful ones that is

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kawasaki Nun posted:

uhhh computers do the shooting from mobile platforms don't they?

edit: useful ones that is

I'm sorry, what in the history of French arms procurement makes you thing their tech demonstrator is capable of doing what they're promoting it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Now for something more low tech. In Libya, they're using SAMs as Surface-to-Surface missiles.

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/...genumber%3D1843