Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Lobster posted:

Someone alerted me to the best possible multiplayer stage, everyone else pack up your bags and go home:

https://twitter.com/MrZercon/status/1147923544631721984

This is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Had some friends run my levels before thinking to check this thread, as such the level has been edited and there's two versions now. I have access to one's code cause I texted it to someone so until I get off work if someone wants to take a crack at the original they'll have to just go to this one and then to my profile, etc.

This level is called Opposites (with checkpoints): GPV-L7R-NKF

The original is just called Opposites, it has no checkpoints and you have to get at least 350 coins, there's a lot more coins that, so I wouldn't sweat it or you might run out of time. So far no one has completed this version, but I haven't checked since last night. Two people have essentially tripped at the finish line though. The "practice" version with checkpoints has fewer coins and a few other changes, mostly to make the first checkpoint work (there's an extra key you can get so you won't get hosed out of pink coins...you might get an extra key as a result if you're good, there's an extraneous set of doors later on right before the end if your OCD hates that though).

The theme is the name, the first layer is a desert during the day, the second layer is ice at night, also it's vertical and the desert is horizontal. A lot of it is trying to be evocative of smb3, at least at first. There's a few homages to small elements from smb3 that I liked and stuck with me. There's also a fair number of secret blocks that are super helpful, so good luck finding those, they're not required to beat the level but they can trivialize sections if you do find them.

Feedback is welcome, I'm aware of a few issues, although one of them is a super edge case and I'm not even sure if it's an actual problem.

My joke level, The Internet is...: DJV-HYB-BNF, needs no feedback, I already apologized for it :v:

I'll edit in the code for the original Opposites later after work.

Edit: original Opposites id is VFF-3Y7-1RG. It's unfair as discussed below, my bad.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 12, 2019

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know, I keep trying to think up gimmicky levels, or really well-themed ones (along the lines of the Silent hill one, which was EXCELLENT, btw), and that's been keeping me from getting in and creating.

So, I think I'm just going to try and make honest-to-goodness fun levels that are good for their own sake, not because they're doing something crazy innovative, or 'wow, that's a great interpretation of <insert very non-mario thing here>'.

I'm just going to make ones that play well and leave people with a sense of 'yeah, that was good!' :shobon:

not every level needs a gimmick! the blank canvas is intimidating for sure but yeah sometimes you just gotta throw some blocks down and see where the mood takes you

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sometimes the gimmick can be narrow platforms, or going up, etc. It doesnt specifically need to be some wild combination of gizmos

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Looper posted:

not every level needs a gimmick! the blank canvas is intimidating for sure but yeah sometimes you just gotta throw some blocks down and see where the mood takes you

I really struggle with this. I always feel like my course isn't worth uploading if it doesn't do something different. I feel like if I could marry the really basic run and jump areas to some of my gimmicks it would make something great, but I get antsy making the course and blurt out all my gimmicks and submit. :sigh:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I really struggle with this. I always feel like my course isn't worth uploading if it doesn't do something different. I feel like if I could marry the really basic run and jump areas to some of my gimmicks it would make something great, but I get antsy making the course and blurt out all my gimmicks and submit. :sigh:

I felt like this too. With pretty much anything creative, you'll ALWAYS be able to find some place where you can add or change just a bit more to finally get it perfect this time, definitely.

The best way to do it is to just say gently caress it and upload the thing. Just realize that you can always make a new level later, or change this one and upload that! For getting your first couple of uploaded levels under your belt, just aim for "eh, people on the internet don't know who I am in real life so it won't be that bad" and go!

Once you get a couple down, then start putting in the hours to make it good.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I get trapped in the need to have a gimmick as well. Most of my MM1 courses had them and so far all of my new MM2 do too, but it’s tough to keep the idea factory going. One of my best courses in MM1 was just a free form level that focused on whatever platforming challenges I could string together so I could probably stand to try more in that style.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Brightman posted:

Had some friends run my levels before thinking to check this thread, as such the level has been edited and there's two versions now. I have access to one's code cause I texted it to someone so until I get off work if someone wants to take a crack at the original they'll have to just go to this one and then to my profile, etc.

This level is called Opposites (with checkpoints): GPV-L7R-NKF

The original is just called Opposites, it has no checkpoints and you have to get at least 350 coins, there's a lot more coins that, so I wouldn't sweat it or you might run out of time. So far no one has completed this version, but I haven't checked since last night. Two people have essentially tripped at the finish line though. The "practice" version with checkpoints has fewer coins and a few other changes, mostly to make the first checkpoint work (there's an extra key you can get so you won't get hosed out of pink coins...you might get an extra key as a result if you're good, there's an extraneous set of doors later on right before the end if your OCD hates that though).

The theme is the name, the first layer is a desert during the day, the second layer is ice at night, also it's vertical and the desert is horizontal. A lot of it is trying to be evocative of smb3, at least at first. There's a few homages to small elements from smb3 that I liked and stuck with me. There's also a fair number of secret blocks that are super helpful, so good luck finding those, they're not required to beat the level but they can trivialize sections if you do find them.

Feedback is welcome, I'm aware of a few issues, although one of them is a super edge case and I'm not even sure if it's an actual problem.

My joke level, The Internet is...: DJV-HYB-BNF, needs no feedback, I already apologized for it :v:

I'll edit in the code for the original Opposites later after work.

I played through most of the original before i timed out. Its kinda a demanding course that requires memorization before success, sure there are 'plenty' of coins but its completely unknown to the player how wide that margin is, meaning you're going to take constantly risky jumps to grab a coin over here or there, or more often than not spend seconds lining yourself up on the ice physics so you can jump into a question block that as it turns out, only had one coin in it. Additionally, there are multiple offscreen threats from above, be they thwomp, hammer bros, or claw picking up a stray spike top, and the ice physics mean its a matter of knowledge beforehand and no amount of good reflexes is going to save you, this wouldn't be as much of an issue if coins didn't put you directly into their line of fire. It happens again in the downhill section with coins leading you directly into enemy valleys. The desert sections are better just from the benefit of not being icy and having the threats telegraphed, even though its clearly designed to be harder. Its well made up, but its a super unfair level.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Its fine to have simple platforming, but a 'gimmick' is kinda the signature mario style. Every mario course since like smb3 has had a unique gimmick, aesthetic, or design philosophy, its what made mario so popular, so it's a understandable block to inspiration to not have one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I usually just play with objects by tossing stuff around and seeing how things interact with each other and then if I see something that looks fun enough to be turned into a level it usually comes pretty fast by that point. The level theme and mario type are usually just chosen based on aesthetics.

I said this earlier but one of the level types I liked making in the first game when I didn't have any concrete ideas were 1 screen levels, and trying to stretch it out as long as you can, it usually results in you coming up with something interesting as long as you're not overthinking it, and even if you don't you usually don't waste a lot of time on it.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I have plenty of ideas for horrible horrible horrible levels and it takes everything in my power to not create them unto the earth.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

I have plenty of ideas for horrible horrible horrible levels and it takes everything in my power to not create them unto the earth.

No need to worry, things like Pit of Panga exist. There will always be something worse.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

This is my favorite superball level out of the ones I've played so far. Cool atmosphere, well-designed puzzles, and some incredibly complicated optional shots I couldn't make. I will definitely be replaying this.

Aw man thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

Random Stranger posted:

Thank you for coming to my TEDx talk on Mario Maker 2's enemy spawn limits.

drat there's definitely a lot of potential there! Gonna mess around with this stuff after I finish this level.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

No need to worry, things like Pit of Panga exist. There will always be something worse.

Yep, for every kid that skips a level for being too difficulty, you have someone like me who will bash their head against the wall for 300 lives to complete an interesting level.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
One of my courses shot up overnight (the easy box one) and I went from like 10 comments to 32. The one that stuck to me was "softlock" with a frustrated face. And I was like where on earth in my level could that have been? Cause I thought I covered every base in the level where that might happen:

:confused:

I don't think you know what softlocking is my guy

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I also feel the need to have a gimmick with my levels. I actually came up with one after playing a bunch of levels and watching some streamers and Youtubers so that design inspiration is definitely out there. That's some advice that I have if you're struggling.

That said most of the time I can't come up with a gimmick so I just lean really hard on the theme and aesthetic. I'm not great at making Mario levels but I do try to follow the design philosophy that less is more so I find a couple of elements I'm going to focus on and stick with those.

But from the levels I've played from you all, and I've played a fair few, 90% of you know that already.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

A "gimmick" doesn't need to be anything mechanical; expanding on the location can be be great for making a level feel cohesive. It's not just "A level using the Castle theme", it's "a factory". It's not just "A level using the Desert theme", it's "An oasis".

Then you let that decision guide the rest of the design.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Fresh off of Coursebot, here's my newest course Toybox Tower

This is a vertical autoscroller, which I know is just so many people's favorite thing in the world, but I had to try something a little different.
It's also my first shot with 3D World and man clear pipes are fun to play with.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know, I keep trying to think up gimmicky levels, or really well-themed ones (along the lines of the Silent hill one, which was EXCELLENT, btw), and that's been keeping me from getting in and creating.

So, I think I'm just going to try and make honest-to-goodness fun levels that are good for their own sake, not because they're doing something crazy innovative, or 'wow, that's a great interpretation of <insert very non-mario thing here>'.

I'm just going to make ones that play well and leave people with a sense of 'yeah, that was good!' :shobon:

I'm really happy you all are enjoying Whispering Bluffs. It's been up for a day and it already has more likes than any level I've ever made. I had a similar level in Mario Maker 1 called Sleeping Village that people liked, but I was never happy with how it turned out, and Whispering Bluffs was supposed to be Sleeping Village done right before I settled on specifically going for a Silent Hill homage. Also, one of my terrible unfinished Mario Maker 1 levels was a very inappropriate airship stage called "Bowser's Private Fleet," and the red pipe room is based on a bit from that. :v:

Actively striving for a gimmick can be confining in a very literal sense, as I end up thinking of a level as a series of individual set pieces rather than a cohesive whole, and that's what the level ends up playing like. I think this is especially true of Whispering Bluffs, but the disjointedness ended up kinda working with the theme anyway. Anyway, now that I've got that out of my system, I'm going to go back to making SMB1-style levels for a bit.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

The Lobster posted:

I also feel the need to have a gimmick with my levels. I actually came up with one after playing a bunch of levels and watching some streamers and Youtubers so that design inspiration is definitely out there. That's some advice that I have if you're struggling.

That said most of the time I can't come up with a gimmick so I just lean really hard on the theme and aesthetic. I'm not great at making Mario levels but I do try to follow the design philosophy that less is more so I find a couple of elements I'm going to focus on and stick with those.

But from the levels I've played from you all, and I've played a fair few, 90% of you know that already.

It really depends on who you are, and what kind of play you're looking for. I'm still inspired, but don't want to outright copy other people's stuff. Instead I've been trying to remind myself how I used to create things, which is really abstractly without much thinking, and just sort of building upon it. I also had lots of experience with those tools, almost obsessively so, and not so much with Mario maker at least yet.

This game just came out, and it's my first Mario Maker game. Even though classic Mario games are now engraved permanently into my DNA, I think it's just going to take some time, and crafting lots of levels until I get much better at it. Those "gimmicks" will come a lot more naturally once I find out what works best.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does it ever surprise anyone else how popular the SMB1 theme is?

In MM1 I thought it was because of the mystery mushrooms and IIRC SMB/NSMB were the only themes available when you first started, but it's still super popular in this one compared to like SMB3

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Help Im Alive posted:

In MM1 I thought it was because of the mystery mushrooms and IIRC SMB/NSMB were the only themes available when you first started, but it's still super popular in this one compared to like SMB3

The music for the desert and snow themes is great in SMB1 so no I'm not surprised.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

From a creators standpoint its super easy to make good levels in smb because the tileset is simple and evocative and mario can simply do less so you don't have to worry about wall jumps and standing spin jumps and shell jumps and capes and p speed marios flying over the whole level

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Help Im Alive posted:

I think the aesthetic is generally easier to work with than the other styles, and it has simpler mechanics. I'd like to use SMB3 more, but it's often hard to make that whole stage scenery look work with what I have in mind. Also with superball SMB1 still has an exclusive powerup that doesn't allow players to get to places you might not want them to go.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I think SMB 1 feels more complete in MM1 and 2. You get the whole package from the original game while all the other themes are missing something in the translation. Like SMW 1 has no ability to make keys and locks, certain enemies are missing in 3, "New" has frame rate issues, and 3D World lacks.....everything. Meanwhile SMB1 is just out there being SMB1 aside from non-mechanics things like warp pipes.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Dishwasher posted:

I think SMB 1 feels more complete in MM1 and 2. You get the whole package from the original game while all the other themes are missing something in the translation. Like SMW 1 has no ability to make keys and locks, certain enemies are missing in 3, "New" has frame rate issues, and 3D World lacks.....everything. Meanwhile SMB1 is just out there being SMB1 aside from non-mechanics things like warp pipes.

Even with a gimped tileset I feel drawn to the 3D World theme. I really like Builder and Cat Mario.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I think also SMB tileset is really popular because that whole 8-bit retro aesthetic is very in right now in indie games and very evocative, and if you are trying to recreate your favorite indie or classic retro game chances are you can do it best in SMB.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
New level up:

Dr. Mario: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Bob-omb
94R-VVB-4MG

T8K-6MF-RWG

Not much in the way of gimmicks, just a linear Bob-omb themed level. There are some Cheep-Cheeps to mix it up a little, but mostly it's Bob-ombs. Most of the time they are just obstacles, but there's the occasional trickier bit with them.

EDIT: New level code due to correction of naked pipes.

guppy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 12, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am continuing to play random stages.

Too Many Cobblers
5RM-W8S-CNG
By: DalaranJ

I think I would have enjoyed this more if it there was more playing around with shoe mechanics and less pipes spitting a flood of shoes out.

Depth Perception
GSF-H39-RDG
By: Kirios

I found this level to be kind of fluff without anything to say about it. It's short and just kind of there.

Who Built These Tracks!?
LP1-BKP-9GF
By: nrook

Fun stage. I like that there's good options for going slow or fast with alternate paths.

Cannonball Hops 2.0
PF0-DFW-YYG
By: acems

I feel like this could have gone deeper. There's really only three obstacles here and they're all pretty basic.

Thwompcharge Summer
X1V-WX5-X4G
By: Icedude

The first thing I did on this stage was trigger the thwomp so I could walk behind it. This obviously did not work. Dropping the player in from above could prevent that attempt to cheat.

Desert Rush
CVK-N91-7LG
By: Spectral Werewolf

I gave this about twenty attempts and I got to the point where I had 6 seconds left. It's fine with a few supertight jumps.

3-1 The Dark Lark
H60-CVF-NRF
By: Pixeltendo

Good use of the lighting and shifts in events. People left a lot of comments on your jump scares...

Edit:

So talking about levels with gimmicks: don't worry about it. Gimmicks get talked about because there's something extra to talk about (and some of us like designing them) but there's nothing wrong with just laying down some good old fashioned platforming. If you're having fun making and you make a level you have fun playing, then it's all good.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 11, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

guppy posted:

New level up:

Dr. Mario: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Bob-omb
94R-VVB-4MG

Not much in the way of gimmicks, just a linear Bob-omb themed level. There are some Cheep-Cheeps to mix it up a little, but mostly it's Bob-ombs. Most of the time they are just obstacles, but there's the occasional trickier bit with them.

Nice level. Minor nitpick but you've got some of the dreaded naked pipes near the end. Seems like maybe you intended for this to not scroll vertically but I think some of the parachuting bob-ombs are above the line.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think there's only 5 things in SMB you can't do in Mario Maker 2.

1. Elevators that continuously spawn and disappear at the edge of the screen
2. The scale platforms that are like a seesaw separated out into two platforms that can break in the middle.
3. Free range bullet bills
4. Sideways back and forth flying Koopa troopa
5. Looping sidescroll sections that require you take the right path

Probably a few more minor things I'm forgetting

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Plebian Parasite posted:

I played through most of the original before i timed out. Its kinda a demanding course that requires memorization before success, sure there are 'plenty' of coins but its completely unknown to the player how wide that margin is, meaning you're going to take constantly risky jumps to grab a coin over here or there, or more often than not spend seconds lining yourself up on the ice physics so you can jump into a question block that as it turns out, only had one coin in it. Additionally, there are multiple offscreen threats from above, be they thwomp, hammer bros, or claw picking up a stray spike top, and the ice physics mean its a matter of knowledge beforehand and no amount of good reflexes is going to save you, this wouldn't be as much of an issue if coins didn't put you directly into their line of fire. It happens again in the downhill section with coins leading you directly into enemy valleys. The desert sections are better just from the benefit of not being icy and having the threats telegraphed, even though its clearly designed to be harder. Its well made up, but its a super unfair level.

Thanks. Yeah, I meant for it to be hard but fair, but you're right, it is a bit too unfair, especially when going up. I was too close to it to realize this I think.

Yeah, all the deaths are in the ice sections last I checked, I'm not sure about what parts you mean for the downhill part but they're probably just escaping me atm, the spike top used to face the other way and was even more problematic since it would just reset a bunch, also it was an accident to begin with, I should've just nixed it. The description of the level is meant to allude to the coins being a wider margin than they seem but it's vague and people might not be reading that. Not sure if I should leave it, delete it, or try to rework it, at this point it's probably best to just learn and move on when making new levels.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I really missed the ability to make looping stages until I realized literally nobody liked them in SMB anyway. Stage 6-4 from lost levels would get booed into oblivion instantly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You know, didn't really think about it till now but I kinda wish you could place bullet bills without the blasters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Stages need to be able to be like 2 or 3 times longer if I use the car in 3D World because those stages go by WAY too fast if you want to make a level built only around the car

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe we can solve the 3D World car and bowser problems at the same time

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Do coins mean anything in SMM, or are they just there as jump guides and sky writing?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

potatocubed posted:

Do coins mean anything in SMM, or are they just there as jump guides and sky writing?

They give you a 1up if you get 100 in Endless Mode. They also feel good to collect and make the level feel more like a real level.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're worth more in Endless when 100 can add to your lives count (assuming you didn't already find 3 1ups in the stage you're playing), otherwise yeah, just use them to guide people or use big coins or 1ups just to signal that somebody is doing well, they won't do anything if you're just loading up a stage by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Extra lives. You can get three of them per stage in endless.

They also make people feel good when they get one.

nrook posted:

I really missed the ability to make looping stages until I realized literally nobody liked them in SMB anyway. Stage 6-4 from lost levels would get booed into oblivion instantly.

Deservedly.