Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Man this thread is so much more cheerful than the climate change thread in D&D.

This isn't the dedicated CSPAM climate change thread, lol

It's fuckin'... possessed or some poo poo. Changes how you see your place in the world, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

TehSaurus posted:

It says this one is 159000 acres?

Yeah that's the big fire, if you go to the big nation wide map theres more

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Man this thread is so much more cheerful than the climate change thread in D&D.

if all humanity is gonna do is fiddle while the world burns, we might as well have a good dance to the music

tjume
Feb 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Alaska is like 90 degrees and on fire still btw

largest fire of 2019 now

It's ok, Alaska is not alone, Siberia wildfires are also pumping that sweet CO2 in the air:
https://twitter.com/DrTELS/status/1146358818433118208

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Does New Orleans still exist or..?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah the CSPAM climate change thread broke my brain, it sure is a thing

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Give it a week

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/6BEJpsU.gifv

the storm is still days away lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

the hurricane isn't gonna hit till the weekend

all these pictures of people swimming down the street? thats not from a hurricane or from a tropical storm, that's from regular-rear end rain

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

the hurricane isn't gonna hit till the weekend

all these pictures of people swimming down the street? thats not from a hurricane or from a tropical storm, that's from regular-rear end rain

Oh good I have time to get snacks then

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Agean90 posted:

Yeah that's the big fire, if you go to the big nation wide map theres more

Aw dang I was hoping we suddenly had two independent record setting fires of equal malice.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

TehSaurus posted:

Aw dang I was hoping we suddenly had two independent record setting fires of equal malice.

hoping the big fire connects with the 2 smaller ones south of it and turns into some hell complex that ravages all of central Alaska but somehow skips the nature reserves

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TehSaurus posted:

give it time

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/bhensonweather/status/1149413481680183296?s=19 lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

from the /r/neworleans reddit:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

*extremely nervously* lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

stay calm until the rich white people have evacuated!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

*flips all the interstates* please do not evacuate

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

The Corps and authorities have been talking about "you might get a bit of spillover at 20 feet," but during Harvey, they talked about the two Houston earthen dams at the reservoirs that needed to hold, and how if one overtopped, the dam below the overtopping water would quickly crumble beneath the strength of the flow. I don't know how this stuff works, but why would the levees be different?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just realized that a bunch of streets can't be navigated without a watercraft so a lot of people couldn't evacuate even if they were able to

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The Corps and authorities have been talking about "you might get a bit of spillover at 20 feet," but during Harvey, they talked about the two Houston earthen dams at the reservoirs that needed to hold, and how if one overtopped, the dam below the overtopping water would quickly crumble beneath the strength of the flow. I don't know how this stuff works, but why would the levees be different?

you're exactly right

overtopping is very bad for levees. not only can the flow going over the top erode it down and lower the levee, but any water that goes over the top is going to land behind the levee, where it could potentially weaken the levee from behind or erode the levee's foundations. this is worse for earthen levees, but even a concrete dam can fail just from overtopping

as a general rule of thumb, it should be assumed that a levee that is being overtopped is in imminent danger of failure. maybe it might hold up after all, especially if not much water goes over the top and not for long, but levees are generally not designed to be overtopped

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Goddamn, got a feeling that the city will scrape by this time but it is absolutely doomed. If New Orleans exists by 2030 I'll be surprised

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Feng shui advises against building in flooding-prone areas. Just got to have better feng shui tbh.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Goddamn, got a feeling that the city will scrape by this time but it is absolutely doomed. If New Orleans exists by 2030 I'll be surprised

I dunno, I'm feeling pretty saucy about this one. We'll soon see.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

tjume posted:

It's ok, Alaska is not alone, Siberia wildfires are also pumping that sweet CO2 in the air:
https://twitter.com/DrTELS/status/1146358818433118208

:tif:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

anyone from new orleans: does any politician there campaign on the "no more catastrophic floods" platform? like a "New Orleans: above-water city" type of deal? feel like that would get a lot of votes

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What body of water was behind the levee that broke in Katrina? Was it the lake?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

R. Mute posted:

anyone from new orleans: does any politician there campaign on the "no more catastrophic floods" platform? like a "New Orleans: above-water city" type of deal? feel like that would get a lot of votes

The mayor cut her teeth on a coalition effort to keep the disaster capitalists from bulldozing Broadmoor, so I guess she was kinda like the "rebuilding won't be as bad" candidate.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Good hurricane coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDRvhxKc6_I

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

non stop bible quotes and "jesus is coming" posts in the stream chat, cool

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

basement dweller posted:

non stop bible quotes and "jesus is coming" posts in the stream chat, cool

Remember when Youtube had to shut down their live chat for racism during a livestream of a government discussion about racism on youtube

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

On one hand I kinda want to see New Orleans get flooded Katrina-style just for the political shitstorm it would cause but on the other hand a lot of poor people will lose everything and tons of animals will probably die. :ohdear:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

When was the last time a major city was permanently destroyed and abandoned, anyway?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Goon Danton posted:

When was the last time a major city was permanently destroyed and abandoned, anyway?

Depends on what you mean by "major" and "abandoned." Pripyat or Varosha in Cyprus.

Cahokia was likely the same size as London -- around 15,000 people -- before it was abandoned in the 1300's, nobody's clear exactly why.

San Juan Parangaricutiro was wiped out by a volcano in the 40's.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I guess the capital of Montserrat island was completely abandoned ever since a volcano erupted in the late 90s.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Plymouth,_Montserrat

Negostrike has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Jul 12, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's looking better this afternoon.

Apparently, the storm hasn't strengthened or organized as much as they modeled, and it's drifting west as it struggles to organize. A hydrologist in the DSA went on a check of the East Bank levees, and he said the river is about 5 feet from the top in all places, which is a good amount of room with the projections, except for at one of the canal locks.

Edit: They're expecting it to be very close, but not quite, a hurricane when it hits.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Jul 12, 2019

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

The mayor cut her teeth on a coalition effort to keep the disaster capitalists from bulldozing Broadmoor, so I guess she was kinda like the "rebuilding won't be as bad" candidate.
dream big, america.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Cahokia was likely the same size as London -- around 15,000 people -- before it was abandoned in the 1300's, nobody's clear exactly why.

Though almost certainly related to climate change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good graphic

https://twitter.com/NOLAnews/status/1149454980266569728