Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can say that Darius is gonna get the most ironic and fitting death of the 8 final bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Sadly we don't get to shove Darius down some stairs whilst saying 'how about them apples?' but we can't have everything.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Is there no reward for the second solution to that quest? Did I miss a screenshot?

At least it doesn't cost you money.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

GimmickMan posted:

Is there no reward for the second solution to that quest? Did I miss a screenshot?

Quests that have multiple solutions always have the same rewards for both, as far as I can remember. They don't want you picking based on which one gives the better loot, I guess.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pharohman777 posted:

I can say that Darius is gonna get the most ironic and fitting death of the 8 final bosses.

I'm going to assume that he's literally and metaphorically stabbed in the back.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I'd certainly be disappointed with any other ending.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Thuryl posted:

Quests that have multiple solutions always have the same rewards for both, as far as I can remember. They don't want you picking based on which one gives the better loot, I guess.

I was completely sure that some of the earlier ones had different rewards but I guess I made that up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The PC version of Octopath is 30% off on Steam for the next couple weeks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Music: The Frostlands

Today we're going to tackle Therion's Chapter 4, which means we'll have to make our way to Northreach.

Northreach, appropriately enough, rests on top of a mountain.

A few more frost enemies, nothing too exciting.

And eventually we reach our destination.

Music: Stolen Dreams, Lost Light

Things aren't very cheery here either. Best to get down to business then.

So this is Northreach.

Not anymore, they ain't!
'And it over!

Aren't there guards in this town!?
E'en the guards won' lay a 'and on 'em.

But...

(Is this Darius's doing? Everyone here is living in fear...)

Not the most inviting welcome. Time to get down to business, which means stopping by an alehouse to listen in on rumors and gossip.

It's him...
Yeah, no doubt 'bout tha'.
If'n we're lucky, 'e's jus' come to use th' bog.

Not the most warm welcome...

We're closing for the day! Best yer be on yer way now.
...Guess I'll show myself out.

(Is this...me? They didn't even get my best angle...)

..."Lord" Darius.

We're not gonna have any luck at the alehouse today. Darius has this town locked down tight, so we'll have to find a different solution.

Let's banter with our comrades for now.

I don't go because I "like" them. I go to hear people talk. Mead and spirits are good for loosening tongues.
Heh, so your interest is purely professional.

Hey! Who are you calling a brat? I've been turning trades and making profits since I was five!
Have you now?
I delivered spirits to three alehouses every day for over a year. I've seen my share of drunken fools.
Should I be impressed?
You bet! Still can't stand the smell of grog, though. Makes me gag.

Tressa's always eager to prove herself (though she pretty much already has at this point considering she's technically a billionaire), while it's difficult to impress Therion. That's pretty much the gist of things.

Yeah. As if I didn't have enough problems.
But think about it... Those wanted posters show that you've got Darius runnin' scared.

...Fair enough. Maybe you're good for more than mixing potions after all.
Ahaha! That's me, full of surprises. So let's go, Therion. If anything happens, I've got your back.
...Heh. No offense, but I hope I won't be needing your services.

Alfyn though knows how to get on Therion's good side, and he does have a point in that considering how much effort Darius is putting into stopping Therion, that says a lot about how excellent a thief Therion truly is.

Nothing to do now but to explore the town a bit and hope a clue hits us in the face...

Yer got some guts, marchin' inna this town!
And you are? ...Wait, don't tell me. You're Darius's welcoming committee, aren't you?
Aye, and we'll make sure yer get th' warmest o' welcomes! Boys!

Grrr...! If we stab yer enough times, yer'll still die!

Ain't nobody comin' to save yer, even if yer scream bloody murder.
Yer best give up 'ope now. Ever'one 'ere fears Lord Darius!

Shut it!

So, I completely forgot this battle was a thing.

Which means I had no gear equipped.

Fortunately, they're weak and easy to break, and I have plenty of soulstones, so it was a nonissue.

Enough. I've got bigger fish to fry.
Hehehe... Enjoy yer victory while yer can.

Music: Tension

Yer ready to die, mate!?
It'll be slow 'n' painful for yer, that's for sure.
There's nowhere left for yer to leg it!

These odds are bad any way I look at them.

I don't suppose you could have gotten here a little sooner!?

For now, follow me.
You don't have to tell me twice.

Go figure that the butler of all people would be the one to save Therion's hide.

Video: The Value of Faith

SILENCE

...Are you okay?
In a manner of speaking, yes... But I'm afraid I'm not as young as I used to be. When I was your age, I never imagined time would wear down my bones so...

That was simply a skill I learned in my youth. But time will take even that from me eventually...
Where did you learn how to do that? Butler training?

Now it all makes sense. You're the one who set those traps in the manor, aren't you?

An astute observation.

Music: Melancholy

I met Lord Ravus--Cordelia's father--before she was born.

I was certain there was nothing in this world I could not steal.
Then why are you working for the Ravus family now?
For the same reason as yourself.

He offered me a deal. He said he would not hand me over to the guards on one condition--

And now you're seeing that promise through to the end.

You felt the same, did you not?

Outdone by a butler, and an old one at that.
And to add insult to injury, I was shown mercy by the very one I tried to rob. It was absolutely disgraceful. In the end, I had no choice but to start anew.
Even still, I gained more than I lost in the manor that day.
Without taking a single leaf?

I'm sure you've heard the story of Miss Ravus's past.
Yeah. Hard to imagine, seeing the person she is now.

But as the days passed, she began to change...
How so?
I continued to have faith in her, and thus she learned to have faith in me. Wounds of betrayal run deep, but one must learn to have faith in others again before they can start to heal.

Just like someone did for her...
That's enough talk of the past.

Me?
Yes. Unfortunately, my old bones would be nothing but a hindrance if I accompanied you.

Stay safe, Heathcote.

Therion's slowly learning to trust others again, thanks to the faith that Cordelia and Heathcote have in him. But is he ready to have faith in others, especially with the one who betrayed him looming ever closer...?

Perhaps some more banters will clear things up.

From the expression on your face, it would seem you've found your answer.
My answer? ...Hm. Maybe I have.
It is a good thing, to set one's mind at ease.

...Maybe it is.

Of course, Therion's theme of trusting others runs great parallel to his party banters, where he's slowly warming up to the rest of his comrades. It's one of those instances of the travel banters really enhancing the theme of the main character's story beats, and it's a shame that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often in this game.

It is what it is. But I know holding grudges against others won't change the past, or right my wrongs. There's no point crying over yesterday. It's what I do today and tomorrow that counts. So spare me your sermons...and your sympathy.
I would not presume to offer either. All I meant to say, is that...

That is no common thing, for resentment abides in nearly all our hearts.
Never thought of it that way.

I guess that's an advantage to Therion's way of life. He doesn't really hold anything personally since he's usually so detached from emotions anyway. Though of course, he's likely still not entirely over that one betrayal, but at least he may finally get closure on it by the end of this tale.

As we make our way back into town...

Not yet, sir!
Vanished like a white wolf in a snowstorm, 'e did.
And yer'll be th' next one to vanish if yer don' stop yer whinin'!

So if yer ever want to see real riches, yer better well find 'im!

Now get back to work!

(He probably knows the way to the hideout.)

And sure enough...

(Nothing seems out of order...)

(But I can't just waltz through the front door.)

Yep. We're gonna steal the clothes off the back of a thief.

It's similar to Locke's scenario in Final Fantasy VI, where he steals the clothes off merchants and soldiers to slowly progress through South Figaro, and I'm sure the similiarities aren't coincidental.

(A small fry... This should be easy.)

D-drat right I am!

At this point, we can interact with the thief just like any other NPC.

They even have Scrutinize text!

That said, this is our real prize. With this, we're ready to make our entrance.

Music: Beneath the Surface

(He's just a kid. Must be a new recruit. In that case...)

N-nah, I didn't! Y-yer...yer... Wait a second.

Music: How Amusing!

Yer supposed to be out lookin' for Therion with th' others! Stop slackin' off and go find 'im!

(I guess only the higher-ups can slack off here. Typical... Time for a wardrobe change.)

Looks like we'll have to find someone with a bit more rank around here. Someone like...

Yer mine now!

Perfect.

Just gotta pull a trick or two, and...

This triggers some banter, because of course it does.

Yeah? Like what?
Well, there is a lizard that pretendeth to be a withered bough, and snatcheth its prey when it strayeth too close. Other creatures mimicken living plants, or their own predators, or precious stones... When I watche thee at work, I am reminded of them.

I am saying thou learnest from the natural world, and showest great skill in apery. 'Tis most interesting to me, to see what role thou wilt taken on next.
Great. I'll try to keep you entertained.

H'aanit's snark levels are criminally underrated, especially since she expends it all on her master and on Therion, perhaps the most thin-skinned of the travelers. That said, she also has respect for Therion's talents, so there's some sincerity in there.

Anynway, let's try this again.

(Now to fool the lookouts.)

(They're just kids. Must be new recruits. In that case...)

Music: How Amusing!

P-p-please, forgive us!
...Fine. Yer lucky I'm in a good mood today. But Lord Darius'll 'ear 'bout it next it happens.

But don't yer dare let that bastard through, yer 'ear!?

(But I better make it quick. It's only a matter of time until they figure out what happened.)

Speaking of which...

It's you! Yer that phony the leader was talkin' about!
Phony!? My clothes were stolen by that stupid thief--

So worth it.

We'll end things with the last two banters this chapter.

If it makes my job easier, I'll take it.
I figured you'd say something like that. Still, their de facto leader barely exerts any control over the rank and file.
And you'd expect otherwise? They're just a band of thieves.
I would posit that there is more to it than just that. For this Darius, the men of his organization are little more than tools...

...You may be right.
At any rate, your goal is close at hand, Therion. Do not waver in your convictions.
...Heh. You can count on me.

Darius's whole thing is getting by with his own talents, while Therion's learning again to rely on others. I think we all know which philosophy will prevail here.

Huh?
I could scarcely tell it was you. You simply disappeared into that role.

...Heh. Thanks, but no thanks. I take on roles when my work demands it...that's all.
A shame, that.

But of course, if you're not interested...

Therion did do a bang-up job posting as that thief leader, even capturing his rough manner of speaking. Perhaps he could do well paired with H'aanit's ham of a villain.

Next time, Therion finds the dragonstones and finally resolves his business with his former partner in crime.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But would he slit his Mama's throat for a nickel?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Either Darius drew that wanted poster himself, or had to describe Therion to someone else drawing it. Either option is pretty funny.

Stealing clothes off the thieves to sneak in is pretty funny, they even made one that didn't work just for fun. Therion gets quite a lot of sprite changes compared to the other characters. It amazes me they went to that much effort but still didn't bother to make sure the hair of the sprite matched up with his official art. Oh well.

The theme of learning to trust people again is strong this chapter. Heathcote's backstory is revealed here, but it's easy to see coming given how much knowledge of thievery and other crime-related things he has. It's interesting because he was in basically the same position as Therion is now when he was young, and getting pressed into the service of House Ravus actually did turn his life around, I'm sure he appreciates having a stable job and not having to steal to live his whole life. Doesn't really excuse him repeating that on Therion, in a more messed up way, but I get it.

They're never going to make me feel sympathy for Cordelia, though. Guess she got the idea of blackmailing thieves into her service from her dad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Here's my party. Ophilia and Tressa are among my lowest-level characters, and Alfyn because, well, come on, of course Alfyn would be here.

This abandoned church certainly feels lived-in, which makes sense as a hideout for thieves.

Most of the enemies are ones we've seen before, though these bats will inflict Sleep.

The Enchanted Sword is only a bit weaker than the Dragon Saber, but also gives a decent chunk of ElemAtk and even a slight Crit bonus. It pales to other ElemAtk weapons, but it's the best you're gonna get from a sword, so it's still useful.

Brigand Leaders love boosting their speed, but otherwise their only thing of note is being a handy source of Refreshing Jam. I got eight or so of these thanks to Therion's support doubling stolen items.

There's a cute puzzle here, where obviously you might feel you should check for hidden passages, which of course there's one that leads to another treasure. However, you can do this again for a third treasure.

None of which are really important, but I like that sorta curveball there.

Otherwise, there's little else of note, so let's jump right to the main event.

Video: A Reason for Fighting

I still don't get why Darius is after the dragonstones, though...

Darius.

Music: Pure Evil

I didn't think you had it in you to come this far. You must really want that bangle gone.

But I'm not here for me anymore.
Well then, who are you here for?

What?

What happened to those minces I saw in Wellspring? They were broken, hopeless, defeated!

Don't make me laugh! You'll just be betrayed again!
You're right. I might.
Do you know what happens when you trust others!?

That's how I got to where I am today. I used you to get what I wanted, and now I own this whole town!
...Right, "Lord Darius."

Music: For Freedom

...Maybe I am a fool. But trust is a sentiment I want to believe in.

Video: Boss - Darius

Music: Battle at Journey’s End

As you may expect, the final boss of Therion's tale is none other than Darius, the man who betrayed him so many years ago.

What you may not expect, however...

Trust is the first step toward betrayal. We're shadows in the night, you and I. We have nothing to gain from trust.

We're parasites--stealing from others to keep ourselves going. But Darius...

This is one of only two fights in the game to have actual dialogue. Appropriately enough, the second one is the one we've yet to see, though oddly that one is voiced while this one is just text...

On to the actual fight. The first goal, as usual, is to find weaknesses.

Darius is a thief, and has many of the same skills as Therion, such as Steal HP and Steal SP. However, he's got a few more tricks up his sleeve, including the ability to "steal" our items.

Naturally, we can't use items (including Concoct!) until we break Darius.

Fortunately, I put Alfyn in as a Scholar with Analyze, so finding his weaknesses is easier than usual for these Cyrus-less Chapter 4 fights.

He's got a weakness to Wind, and that's something I intend to exploit.

As I usually do with Therion, I go with an Evasion build, which works wonderfully here. Darius's attacks aren't entirely physical, but he only has two elemental attacks so he may as well be your standard physical powerhouse.

I break Darius and get my items back. That said, I hold back for this fight, partly because we're not quite done with dialogue.

But for all your skills, there was always someone making more. I suppose that's the price of having a soft heart.
I guess the rich and hard-hearted made better company than I did.
You know I can't hold a candle to your skills as a tea leaf. So I had to do whatever it took to survive.

While Therion trusted in his own skills, Darius exploited every possible avenue he could and was willing to burn bridges to survive. And look how far it's got him! Though that's about to all come tumbling down...

Post-break, Darius gains shields and locks random weaknesses, though at least his weaknesses don't change like other bosses.

Otherwise, it's mediocre physicals and annoying attacks and debuffs like Nighthawk, which reduces both physical stats.

I have no qualms collecting from a thief. Then again, I have no qualms collecting from anything I fight.

Darius really is a thief, as a lot of his moves (Steal HP/SP and Will o' Wisp) mimick Therion's skillset (with Will o' Wisp being Darius's version of Wildfire). I didn't see them trigger, but Darius also can steal BP and use Hellfire to inflict fire damage to the entire party.

I'm pretty sure this is vendor fodder, but this is more iconic than useful considering pretty much all of Therion's artwork involves him stealing or carrying apples. It all comes full circle, I guess.

On to a more annoying locking of weaknesses...

Me!?
You lived in fear of being betrayed, so you were always the betrayer.

I'm not afraid! I used you and disposed of you because I knew I could do it Jack Jones!

I believe this is the last of the dialogue, but I'm not sure since I can't find sources that show all such dialogue.

Once he gets low enough in HP, Darius gains a third turn each round.

And this signals his ultimate attack, and it's certainly a unique and appropriate one...

That's right, Darius has stolen your allies. If Therion dies here, it's game over. It's up to Therion, and Therion alone, to break Darius so he can bring his allies back.

Which...isn't that difficult since he was down to one shield and was vulnerable to daggers.

At this point, I find out one more hit will kill him, so...

...naturally, Therion gets the honors.

Video: Farewell, Partner

Music: Sorrow

What was it that you wanted? Did you get it...after you betrayed me?
Hah... You're so predictable, Therion...

It was fine if nobody believed in me... As long as I could keep climbing, I didn't need anybody else!

And while he may not have gotten the answers he wanted, Therion finally has his closure with Darius. He can move on and live his new life with people who believe in him.

And as for Darius...

This, and this, and this! All of it...it's all mine!

Gck!

Traitors? Hah! Tha' requires loyalty firs'. We're only 'ere for yer money.
Exactly. Gareth was probably th' only one who gave a drat about yer.
Look a' all this money! And it's all ours now! Ahahaha!

So, the problem with betraying everyone you meet? Eventually others will betray you when you're most vulnerable. Darius was leading these men through fear, but now that he's wounded and vulnerable, they're all too happy to take advantage of the situation.

SILENCE

And so Darius dies in the depths of the church, unknown and unloved. In the end, he has nothing, and nobody to save him.

It's a cold way to kill anyone, even the chapter's big villain, and I appreciate how bold they go in Darius's death here.

-----

Video: The Dragonstones

Music: Enveloped in Kindness

I'm getting too old for adventures like this. Perhaps it's time I started acting my age...
I'm so happy to see you back safely.
I apologize if I made you worry.

...Pardon?
...It's nothing.

I can't thank you enough.

Heathcote, the key, please.
A key won't be necessary, m'lady.
What do you mean?

What!?

But when...?
I discreetly unlocked it when you first suggested it.

That was ages ago!
Hah...
Mr. Therion...

Would it matter at this point?

It wasn't just about the band, of course. This whole journey was about recovering his pride after being humiliated. Even if he knew he could get the band off, he wouldn't have until he fulfilled his end of the bargain. He may be a thief, but there's some semblence of honor within him.

Darius said they could grant him some great power...
Well---
Allow me to answer in your stead, Miss Ravus.

And that is...?

It may sound like a mere fairy tale, and yet--
Darius believed it.

I cannot say for sure. But whether or not its power or the gate exists...

The dragonstones giving Darius power would make sense. They certainly had driven some madness into Orlick, and those thieves seemed oddly loyal to Darius right until Therion recovered those Dragonstones, at which point they were all-too-happy to immediately betray him. Of course, again, that could simply be a coincidence as that also happened to be the first time they probably saw Darius as vulnerable enough to overtake.

Once again we come back to this Gate of Finis... A power to change the world, but for good or bad...? What's the connection with all of this?

Of course it doesn't. Your promise to the Ravus family has been fulfilled.

-----

SILENCE

No, of course not.
She simply came to see you off.
You don't need to do that.

You left before I could properly thank you.

But you risked your life to see them restored, and for that you have my eternal gratitude.
I don't need thanks. Like I said, I was just fulfilling my half of a deal.
Even still, the fact that you helped me is undeniable.

Music: Therion, the Thief

Where will you go?

So it's a wanderer's life for you, then?
More or less.

Farewell.

(Click here for larger version)

And so ends Therion's tale, and with that we are nearly finished with the main stories of Octopath Traveler. Only one character remains, as we follow Ophilia to Wispermill to recover Aelfric's Flame and save her sister from the darkness that seems to have consumed her.

But before that, of course, we have another town to explore and more side stories to take care of, which we will do next time!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Therion's story isn't my favorite, but it has a very satisfying conclusion.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I killed him before he got to the part where he steals my partners
That would have been fun!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Only a metaphorical backstab, huh? Well, I'll take what I can get. :ese:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the dragonstones were stolen and presumably used to unlock the gate of finis, the gate that Graham crossford returned from as a amorphous monster.

So how did the stones return to the world after they were used on the gate? Someone else was there to retrieve the stones and sell them to the highest bidder...

Anyways, the pre-boss dialogue with Darius is fully voice acted, and a treat to listen to.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ah, there's the "and so you will die alone" retort I've been waiting for with every boss that monologues about how having friends and caring for others is bad.

Or close enough to it.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Darius gets the ending he deserved- he betrayed everyone who ever actually cared about him (Therion, Gareth, probably others we never saw) because he was paranoid about being betrayed himself, and surrounded himself only with weaker people who he could boss around. But in the end, that's what lead to his death, his own men didn't care about him either and took the first opportunity they had to off him. No longer an imposing figure to Therion like he was in chapter 3, now we see that he's actually pretty pathetic, and I get the impression Therion realises that too. He regrets how things turned out, but he can move on now.

It was a rough road for Therion but at least he gets to move on, away from all the people who used him and treated him like crap (Darius, Cordelia, even Heathcote) and has seven friends who care for him and will support him whatever he decides to do with his life now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: Town Veiled in White

Northreach is a fort town based on top of a mountain in the northern-most reaches of Orsterra. Other than the massive walls surrounding the town, there's little really going on for this place. It's just another town, really.

Though there are a few decent items to snag. The Empowering Necklace gives the highest Max HP boost of the accessories with a whopping thousand.

Remember that one guy who got robbed at the very beginning of Therion's chapter? Turns out he's also a thief! Go figure.

Though I ran into a bit of a rough spot myself soon after. Had to sell it off to a peddler of such things. Got a better price than what I paid for it, at least!

Nothing of interest in his inventory, mostly vendor fodder that's better stolen.

'Tis the season for journeys, apparently.

Because it's always the season for journeys.

As usual, he guards a house, so we need to beat him up.

sigh

All that's in here is a purple chest with a measly 20,000 leaves.

It seems everyone here is either an upstanding citizen or an outright scumbag.

Speaking of scumbags, this fellow sells a nut and a couple high-end consumables at outrageous prices.

Here's a guy just trying to live out what little time he has left with his family in peace.

Naturally, we beat the tar outta him.

Though he does have some magic skills, including Ice Storm and Lux Congerere.

Funnily enough, we don't really need the Steal buff since the majority of the items in this town can already be stolen at 100%.

Needless to say, he'll be relevant later on.

But that is simply the way of the world. The gods are fickle, and those who rise up must eventually come down. I imagine anyone who has studied history could tell you that there have been worse reversals of fortune in the past. The Byrons can yet regain their former glory.

This ageless fellow is the only thing of note in the northern part of the town where the abandoned church resides.

Otherwise, that's it for Northreach! As I said, a pretty plain and ordinary town. Next time, we start finishing off the rest of the side stories we've got lined up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

With the end of another chapter and another town update, we have another side story chain to finish off!

I have been newly posted to this town, in my service to the faith. And...I have heard rumors.

I hope I will be able to at least glimpse it before I might be sent on my next mission... If you happen to find that sword, please... You must let me know!

Who knows if this sword will answer Miles's lingering questions about his father? I mean, probably, since this game is generally good about resolving its mysteries, so let's find this sword!

And we've found the sword! I don't feel like retrying multiple times to steal it when I've got more than enough money to last me the rest of the game, so I just buy the drat thing.

Miles better appreciate this!

Such heavy steel... Just holding it, there is no doubting its strength.

This sword belonged to my father once. ...And you are?

You...you knew my father?

Music: Enveloped in Kindness

We had no one to help us. None but a traveling knight of the Knights Ardante, who happened to come through our village. The village leaders begged that he might see us to safety.

But he did not consider his duty done then. He even entrusted his sword to the village.

By the laws of the Knights Ardante, a knight must never abandon his duty under any circumstances.

This is what I've heard, and still that great man... He accepted such dishonor without hesitation, to aid perfect strangers such as ourselves.

I was never able to rise to the heights of the Knights Ardante, but I am able to keep clothes on my back at least, living as a hired sword.

My father...saved a village... And for that, he was stripped of his cloak and his knighthood...and declared a deserter... He was every inch the great and honorable man I knew him to be.

When a knight enters the Knights Ardante...he swears an oath.

That oath has not changed since the very first Knight Ardante said the words over the sword he received from the gods themselves.

To be a knight of honor...like my father.

Words cannot express my gratitude. But they are all I have to offer.

Well, those and this stuff. That Ardante Attire is actually pretty good, giving a nice chunk of ElemDef and some extra Max SP on top of that!

I'm only sorry to hear that he already passed on from this world. I would have liked to thank him in person.

This fellow may not have fully followed his hero's footsteps, but he's certainly following his example, and hey, it's not like his hero lasted long in the Knights Ardante anyway! You don't need a title to be a hero, after all.

Now that Miles knows the truth of his father's deeds, he's more confident than ever to be the perfect hero to represent not only the Knights Ardante, but also the ideals and convictions of his father.

More side stories next time.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

quote:

Is there a name for this trope?
Miles hasn't seen this sword in years and its very likely barely different from any other sword forged for the Knight Ardante. And yet he still recognizes it in seconds.

This is just a throw-away quest with a happy end but it would be funny if this was a sword of a totally different knight and Miles just saw his father's sword in it because that's what he wanted to see.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

werbear posted:

Is there a name for this trope?
Miles hasn't seen this sword in years and its very likely barely different from any other sword forged for the Knight Ardante. And yet he still recognizes it in seconds.

This is just a throw-away quest with a happy end but it would be funny if this was a sword of a totally different knight and Miles just saw his father's sword in it because that's what he wanted to see.

Not only did Miles instantly recognize it, but the random townsperson apparently spotted it from a distance and instantly recognized it as well. Maybe the dad painted rad flames on it or something recognizable.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Schwartzcough posted:

Not only did Miles instantly recognize it, but the random townsperson apparently spotted it from a distance and instantly recognized it as well. Maybe the dad painted rad flames on it or something recognizable.

So, a descendant of Ed Elric? :v:

Also, a thought comes to mind. If Darius & co. were at least the de facto rulers of the town (if not actual, with him prancing around claiming he’s a noble)... Who the hell is running it now?

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
This soon after Darius' downfall, the situation is likely still in flux. Eventually, unless one of the local merchants is wealthy enough to dominate the others -- not terribly likely under the circumstances -- what will probably emerge is a council of leading citizens.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It also means the villagers didn't melt down the sword like they were supposed to, or they melted it down and then decided to use the materials to make the same sword.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

It also means the villagers didn't melt down the sword like they were supposed to, or they melted it down and then decided to use the materials to make the same sword.

Geez, don't you even read the updates? :rolleyes:

Regalingualius posted:

Also, a thought comes to mind. If Darius & co. were at least the de facto rulers of the town (if not actual, with him prancing around claiming he’s a noble)... Who the hell is running it now?

"We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune! We're taking turns to act as a sort of executive-officer-for-the-week--..."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This one starts off like any other side story, though the resolution is a bit cool. But let's see what we have to do first.

I would know about the great dragons found in the Frostlands, the Cliftlands, and the Highlands. I'd be greatly obliged if you could do this for me. Really, I would.

We have three areas to work with. A bit vague, but better than nothing!

Also one of the ultimate stat accessories, this case for Speed.

Walkthroughs exist, so I know where to go. In fact, there's vague clues for two of these if you've been paying attention to all the things we've been doing!

For the Frostlands, we'll be heading to Stillsnow.

The mightiest of them all is probably that dragon that makes its lair in the cave just outside of town.

We're already quite familiar with this dragon.

Next up, Cobbleston!

It was able to speak the words of men, yet it wielded a mysterious power beyond that of any mortal.

This one you don't really get many hints for, so hopefully you luck into it.

The final lore is in Orewell.

We're near the Dragonsong Fane dungeon and had a side story involving a dragon end here, so it makes as much sense as anything else!

Let's share all we've learned, shall we?

Please, you must tell me all that you have learned!

And that man took on the dragon with no more than his bow and his loyal wolf companion... It may be that man was one of those beast tamers of the Darkwood.

Sound familiar? It's heavily implied this is one of Z'aanta's numerious hunts, perhaps even one of his earlier ones. Of course, it could always be someone else.

A dragon that lives deep in the forest, where rare herbs flourish? It is true that a forest would probably provide a good source of foodstuffs, even in the heavy snows of the Frostlands. Perhaps it even chose to live in such a place so that it might prey on the animals that come to seek those herbs.

You should remember this one, as this is the dragon that H'aanit fought in her Chapter 3, when she gathered herbs to protect against Redeye's petrification powers (which he proceeded to never use against us, but still).

It is like something out of a fairy tale, isn't it? Yet there are legends of dragon eggs being hatched by men, the young within raised by humans... And of course there are the legends that claim the dragons once lived alongside the gods, and were able to use magic. But they earned themselves the wrath of the gods, and the gods left them little more than dumb beasts. Or so the tale goes.

"Dragon eggs hatched by humans" is the entire hook of the "Kaia, Mother of Dragons" side story trilogy, and seems to bring the promise of intelligent dragons once again rising in this world.

I thank you. You have gathered a wealth of invaluable information for me.

The legends and anecdotes that you have collected for me will be a great aid in drafting my book.

The Dragon's Scarf is an accessory that restores SP each round. Would've been nice earlier in the game, but overshadowed by so many other accesories now.

I will labor tirelessly to create a tome worthy of being read by all the world.

This side story was pretty fun in that we got to actually revisit some previous adventures a bit and see them presented in a new light. And it's still interesting even without all that context. Not too shabby!

We'll tackle one more side story next time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We've got one more side story for today to tackle.

Not that many would know it now to look at us. How far we have fallen... I even had to part with the precious ring that was our family's heirloom. It seems our great house will truly end with me.

So this man from a once-noble family has seen his family name fall in favor.

But that is simply the way of the world. The gods are fickle, and those who rise up must eventually come down. I imagine anyone who has studied history could tell you that there have been worse reversals of fortune in the past. The Byrons can yet regain their former glory.

Really, we need to find a way to convince Byron to rebuild his family name himself, rather than bemoan his own fate. And once again, we've got a couple options to work with.

-----

METHOD ONE

Though I ran into a bit of a rough spot myself soon after. Had to sell it off to a peddler of such things. Got a better price than what I paid for it, at least!

This seems to be the man who bought Byron's ring. Perhaps if we can get it back for him, it might bring him the drive to redeem his family's name.

Of course, "Sold it to a peddler" is a bit vague since, well, there's merchants all over Orsterra. But if there's a place to check first, it's certainly Grandport!

Got a pretty deal on it. Now it's just up to my own skill to piece it out into as many pricey bits as I can!

Fortunately it doesn't take long to find this charming fellow.

And wouldn't you know it, he has the ring for sale!

Yeah, I don't feel bad about this one.

Let's give this back to Byron and see how he reacts to regaining his precious family heirloom.

I had no choice but to give it up, such dire straits had I found myself in...

Though doubtless it has seen many hands since leaving mine own... Many hardships, as well...

It does not matter how little I have now. I am still the heir to the great House Byron.

I cannot be spending all of my time lamenting my fate! There is so much that I have to do!

And it seems that ring has done the trick!

I will pursue a life of nobility, worthy of my house, no matter what may come.

And so Byron will work to bring his name to the heights that his ancestors rose it to so long ago.

...But how did they do so in the first place?

-----

METHOD TWO

Needless to say, history is dominated by these great and powerful families. To understand them is to understand how our realm came to be as it is.

While this man's research is a bit odd, it's also surprisingly relevant to our current situation!

Surely Byron could find some sort of drive from learning the true roots of his family.

Yes, we may be fading into disgrace now, but at least the glory of our past will live on in perpetuity--

...What is that you say?

They...they managed to raise themselves up from such humble beginnings to be one of the great houses of the land...?

...It would appear that I have been mistaken about some things. I thought that being born into nobility was a gift that was mine by divine right. But I was born into such a position because of the hard work and sweat of my forebears...

And so Byron the Noble changes to...

After all...I have nothing more to lose now. I feel quite oddly free, in fact!

And so the side story is complete again. And once we find and talk to the new Byron...

I've found that I quite enjoy working up a good sweat, when it is in pursuit of a noble goal!

He's had quite the makeover! Indeed, Byron has so embraced becoming a commoner that his appearance has even changed!

Byron has decided to start completely over, building his family's name all over again the same way his ancestors did. Surely the townspeople will be more receptive to this approach, at least.

Next time, we dive into the final chapter of our final character as Chapter 4 slowly comes to a close with the resolution to Ophilia's tale.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Everyone buckle up! Ophilia's last chapter is a doozy and one of my favorites!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You absolutely must watch the video for the pre-battle dialogue, and the dialogue during the final boss for Ophilia's chapter. Its some of the best in the game, and is why I love the game so much. The voice acting is absolutely stunning.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ophilia's got one of the best chapter 4s in my opinion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We start our final final chapter by arriving at the final town we'll visit this game, Wispermill.

It seems like a quiet pastoral town, but...

...this town is where Lianna and the Savior went off to, so there's reason for concern here.

Hm? ...A cleric of the Sacred Flame!? I'm rather in a hurry, I'm afraid.

Also, the townspeople seem a bit...off.

I've got fields to till. Another time--

Yes. I am Sister Ophilia. If I might trouble you with just one thing...

Seriously?
This is a peaceful farmin' village. We've got no troubles here.

I...I see.

(Best to keep digging.)

It seems the town wants nothing to do with the Sacred Flame or its disciples.

If we can't talk to the townspeople, all we can talk to is our party.

I'd bet half my ill-gotten fortune that "Savior" is here somewhere.
I agree. They are far too wary of us for it to be anything else.
Looks like he's turned them all into true believers. No doubt by using some underhanded means. I wouldn't put manipulation past him.
Manipulation?
Tough times will wear anyone down. Sometimes it leaves you weak, and vulnerable. Those people want to be saved. They'll even start believing in miracles if it'll make life easier for them.

Take it from me. Most people have more faith than they know what to do with.

I believe it's not wrong to reach out for salvation when a helping hand is offered.

It makes sense that some tragedy, perhaps even manufactured, has befallen this small town, one that even faith in the Sacred Flame could not overcome. So when a "Savior" comes in and promises to fix everything, desperate people are willing to gamble on the chance they aren't lying.

Desperate people like, say, Lianna...

The townspeople are not talkative, though they are deeply pious. The town has a rather creepy atmosphere as a result.

As Ophilia ventures further into the town...

SILENCE

Whatever is the matter?
M-my child! My boy--he suddenly took ill... Please! You must save him!
I understand. I will do everything in my power to help him. Pray take me to him.

As you may expect...

...this is a trap.

...Come again?

Music: On a Knife’s Edge

For there are many in this world who are all too eager to deceive.
!?

He said she was, in truth, a witch with the power to ensorcell the hearts of others. And that we should capture her, before she brings ruin to our village.

Alas, she doesn't. The villagers knock her out.

Where am I...?

Wait, you're...!

Music: Creeping Dread

Ah, but I am. I suppose there's no need to hide the truth from you any longer.

You!? Then the one who made Lianna steal the ember...
Yes. That was me as well.
But why? Why would you of all people do such a thing?

That is the Sacred Flame now worshipped throughout the land. Given your position in the church, I'm sure you are well-versed in the history of our world.

Oh, perish the thought. I am not so foolish as that.

Power that he has deigned to share with me. As his power grows, so does my own...

It's not meant for the hands of men!
That is not for you to decide. If the power exists to be taken, then it exists to be used.

Are we not all the same, Sister? Just look at these poor villagers...

And they were all too eager to declare me their "Savior."
You...saved them?
As a loyal servant of Galdera, I wield a fragment of his great power. And yet even that is but a fragment of a fragment. Sealed away as he is, my master's powers are not what they once were.

Lianna? Is Lianna here!?

Vestal...?

Fear not, Sister Ophilia. As long as you do not oppose me, I will do you no harm.

What!? Wait! We're not through here!

This isn't good. Mattias means to gain the power of the dark god, and has the entire town and Lianna doing his bidding. How are we ever going to get out of this one...?

While we rot in jail a bit, all we can do is talk with our comrades.

SILENCE

With a savior like this, who needs enemies?
I'm sorry, Primrose. It shouldn't have come to this. If only I'd--
Now, now, Ophilia. No one's saying this is your fault. We should be blaming the ones that took advantage of your kindness.
But...
But nothing. Now stop blaming yourself and help me find a way out of here.
Y-yes, of course!

Hehe...

A generous heart that you dare not cross if you don't want to get shanked.

Stayen now, child. We can doen but little for now.
Yes, but--
To panicken is to maken mistakes. Thou shalt only maken the situation worse.
If you say so...

'Tis the same as a hunt. The hunter must be tranquil and alert. Else the quarry will turn the tables, and the hunter becometh the hunted.
We wouldn't want that.
So listenen. Thou must be patient. Our time shall come. And when it doth, we shalle striken together.
...I'm most grateful to have you on my side, H'aanit.
Now I shalle heeden mine own counsel, and sleepe. Waken me if thou needest me.
All right...

H'aanit must be used to sleeping in crazy and dangerous situations if she nods off that quickly. She's also one of the calmest and level-headed characters so it's not too surprising.

So hey, obviously we can't fast travel here, and we can't until some more cutscenes, in the middle of which there are two more banters. This means it's impossible to show off every banter without restarting!

Joy!

So after I skip back to this part, our only option is really to wait and see.

Hey, if it worked for Cyrus...!

Video: For Her Father's Sake

That voice... Lianna!?

I'm sorry, Ophilia. I'll get you out of here...
But... Lianna, why...?

Music: Melancholy

He's gone. He left us, forever.

What...? How could you say such a thing? Do you not even care that Father is gone!?
Lianna...
All those days we spent together... You and me and Father... Dining together, talking together, laughing together... We'll never know that happiness again! Don't you even care!?

Listen to me, Lianna! Of course I wish His Excellency were still alive! But those who pass through the gate to the afterworld are never to return. And if you let that man use this forbidden power... There's no telling what horrors might be unleashed.

When he's back, we can all be a family again, just like before. Wouldn't you like that, too, Phili?

And just...leave the rest to me, okay?

Lianna cannot cope with her father's death, going to such desperate measures. How can Ophilia get her to accept the truth and help her move on?

Now that we're free, all we can do is watch our comrades try to help Ophilia in her own moment of need.

Ophilia... Lianna doesn't know what she's doing. She's been fooled by Mattias's lies.
Of course I want to believe in her. But...
When times get tough, it's easier for people to lose sight of what's important. They don't know what to do, they don't know who to turn to...

Lianna is your friend, isn't she? Then you have to be strong for her. Reach out a hand, and pull her back onto the right path.
...You're right, Tressa. Thank you.

Go figure that Tressa would have some of the most insightful words in this chapter! She's certainly grown from this journey if she's giving Ophilia such strong and encouraging advice to help her in her darkest time. All the more reason this is one of the game's best pairings.

Dead is dead, and there's no comin' back from it.
I've seen plenty of folk die in my time, and I was powerless to help 'em. No matter how hard I tried to hold on to their lives, they slipped through my fingers like smoke. It always gets me thinkin'...

In the end, death comes for all of us. It's the price we pay for livin'. Not a one of us can avoid it.

Well said.
So let's live this life without regrets. Right, Ophilia?

Alfyn has had his fair share of encounters with death, both as an apothecary and also from his family life (remember his mother had died only a year or so before the events of this game), so it makes sense he has such a pragmatic view on such things. It may not be the most comforting topic of conversation, but if nothing else it solidifies Ophilia's beliefs that she's in the right here, and gives her all the more reason to try to help Lianna escape the pull of the Savior and accept her father's death.

All we can do is move back into town...

...and learn more about another pious individual. As we go to town...

At last! Finally, all of our wishes will come true...

(What're they talking about, though? Wishes?)

Attacking a cleric of the church--and the Flamebearer at that, it just...doesn't seem right.

drat right. The Savior's the one who freed us from the plague.
If we just do what he says, we'll find our salvation.
Hear, hear.
...I suppose you're right.

It looks like we know where we're headed next.

But first, let's finish off this chapter's banters.

Is something troubling you, Olberic?
Aye. For some time now.
What is it?
Ah, there's the rub. I cannot say exactly. But past experience has taught me to trust this feeling...

Oh. I don't like the sound of that.
Forgive me. I should be helping you, not adding to your worries.
Oh, Olberic. You mustn't apologize. ...But this feeling of yours might have something to do with Lianna.
Indeed. Let us make haste.

You don't need Olberic's senses to tell you some bad things are going to happen when a power-crazed "Savior" is involved.

Now's not the time for archeology, Professor.
Yes. Quite right. Our priority is to rescue Lianna. However, that cave may give us an answer to one of the questions that face us.
What question is that?

...Could it be that the ceremony has to be held in that cave?
Precisely what I was thinking. If that is the case, then the cave is extremely important to Mattias's plan. But fear not. I shall do everything in my power to help rescue your friend.

And that's all the in-chapter banters in the game! Though don't worry, we're not finished with this game's banters quite yet...

I opt for this party. Therion for loot, the rest for levels.

Music: Dark Caverns

Our final story dungeon is...a nondescript cave.

There's Zealots, which love to buff their magic and carry an odd item that heals enemies.

Otherwise, it's bats and various dark-elemental foes.

This hat has decent PhysDef, but the highest ElemDef of any hat in the game and also a good ElemAtk boost. A fantastic grab for spellcasters.

Next time, we confront Mattias and attempt to save Lianna as we finish the final character story in the game.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I went to Wispermill long before unlocking Ophilia's ch4 and the npcs act exactly the same- not talkative, can't be interacted with outside of Inquire/Scrutinise and they're all 'deeply pious' for mysterious reasons. It's rather unsettling and effective. The Saviour has clearly been cultivating their cult here in Wispermill for quite some time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, we've reached the Father Cornello portion of Octopath Traveler.

Though, at least Mattias has actual power. And it's good he was built up from Chapter 1 instead of just suddenly appearing to be the villain like Simeon or what's her face from Tressa's chapter.

Also good on him for not trying to fully summon the thing he recognizes as a god even if he is loyal to it.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 20, 2019

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

What did I say about Consortiums always being evil?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
He might be loyal to Galdera but he recognises that Galdera isn't loyal to HIM, at least.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And so the picture is complete.

Galdera, god of the underworld, sealed behind a gate locked with 4 gems. The power of life and death is the power Galdera commands. Graham crossford sought the gate after his wife died before he could deliver the cure to her. The spells contained within From The Far Reaches Of Hell are those of Galdera.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pharohman777 posted:

Graham crossford sought the gate after his wife died before he could deliver the cure to her.

And whatever he found there turned him into a monster.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

And so the picture is complete.

Galdera, god of the underworld, sealed behind a gate locked with 4 gems. The power of life and death is the power Galdera commands. Graham crossford sought the gate after his wife died before he could deliver the cure to her. The spells contained within From The Far Reaches Of Hell are those of Galdera.

A gate located in the ruins of Hornburg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019

Some Numbers posted:

A gate located in the ruins of Hornburg.

And before the game began, the kingdom that guarded the Gate was destroyed, and the dragonstones that sealed its power were stolen away...