Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

potatocubed posted:

Do coins mean anything in SMM, or are they just there as jump guides and sky writing?

I mean you can make coin collection a clear condition, and as Nina demonstrates in the tutorials, they make people happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

levels

Something something me and the boys.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1149437040003387392

Here's my attempt for this week's Game Jam.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1149436422417313792

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
adding coins to your course is the victory lap before uploading it, please treat yourself

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

potatocubed posted:

Do coins mean anything in SMM, or are they just there as jump guides and sky writing?

The zen master replied: Why stomp on a goomba when you can simply jump over it?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

potatocubed posted:

I like to call them joy diversions

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think there's only 5 things in SMB you can't do in Mario Maker 2.

1. Elevators that continuously spawn and disappear at the edge of the screen
2. The scale platforms that are like a seesaw separated out into two platforms that can break in the middle.
3. Free range bullet bills
4. Sideways back and forth flying Koopa troopa
5. Looping sidescroll sections that require you take the right path

Probably a few more minor things I'm forgetting

This is true for all game types, but being able to take a vine to a sublevel.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think there's only 5 things in SMB you can't do in Mario Maker 2.

1. Elevators that continuously spawn and disappear at the edge of the screen
2. The scale platforms that are like a seesaw separated out into two platforms that can break in the middle.
3. Free range bullet bills
4. Sideways back and forth flying Koopa troopa
5. Looping sidescroll sections that require you take the right path

Probably a few more minor things I'm forgetting

I want all of these things except number 5. At least we might get the bullet bills in the future since they can just make them a variant of banzai bills

e: I would settle for the SMW mushroom platforms in lieu of the pulley platforms too.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone know what kind of stylus I need to use with the Switch? My tablet one doesn't work and I'd like to draw some comment pictures.

I use this for making levels and it's really nice. It's just an old stylus I was using for one of my tablets and its great. I'm sure it'd be just a good for doing drawings?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Circle Nine posted:

I use this for making levels and it's really nice. It's just an old stylus I was using for one of my tablets and its great. I'm sure it'd be just a good for doing drawings?

I use the same type of stylus from a different brand and I can at least concur the features present (the same tips) work really well with the switch.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I remade my second Mario Maker 1 course:

A Matter of Choice
Course ID: 7K0-5FQ-DGG
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

For this one I set out to create a stage where you'd pick between the fire flower or propeller hat at the start and then face obstacles that would be made either easier or harder depending on which one you had. I also made sure you could get through the whole thing as small Mario if you lose your power up, and hid a secret for an additional way to play through it. It was an interesting exercise in designing a level around all of the potential states a player could be in at any one time, something that I think a lot of designers forget to do. Going back to it I still think it plays well enough although I wasn't paying much attention to aesthetics at the time so my airship level is often more of a bunch of abstract shapes than an actual fleet of ships. For the most part this is a block for block recreation but I did have to make some adjustments for how the camera works in MM2 and also made a couple of tweaks to make things easier for small Mario to progress.

Just 3 more remakes to go and I'll have ported over all of the stages I wanted to.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Sometimes it's just nice to go on a stroll with your best friend

My friend, Bowser

RWC-V3R-DGG

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Mario and the Hidden Treasure
FLH-FF9-M2G

There's gold hidden in the jungle! Can you defeat all the challenges to claim it?

(Note: You do not need to do all five challenges to beat the level.)

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 12, 2019

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

J-Spot posted:

Nice level. Minor nitpick but you've got some of the dreaded naked pipes near the end. Seems like maybe you intended for this to not scroll vertically but I think some of the parachuting bob-ombs are above the line.

Thanks. You're right, I didn't intend a vertical scroll. I did test it quite a bit but somehow missed this. I had to move the Bob-ombs higher to get the timing on the parachutes to work out; the best solution might be to just accept the vertical scroll and make the pipes longer so you can't see the base?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Very simple course. Nothing miraculous here!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If a naked pipe there be
Fix that poo poo immediately

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Fawf posted:

Sometimes it's just nice to go on a stroll with your best friend

My friend, Bowser

RWC-V3R-DGG

As the current world record holder this is a fun little level and accurate description.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

J-Spot posted:

Nice level. Minor nitpick but you've got some of the dreaded naked pipes near the end. Seems like maybe you intended for this to not scroll vertically but I think some of the parachuting bob-ombs are above the line.

Thanks for the catch. I've deleted the level, extended those pipes offscreen, and reuploaded. New level code:

Dr. Mario: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Bob-omb
T8K-6MF-RWG

I hate that making a minor cosmetic change means losing your likes and plays.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

time to retire

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I want to take a moment to thank everyone that puts three blank spaces below their question blocks. Also, thanks for not making me wall jump in a space two blocks wide.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey everyone! I really wanted to make a Metroidvania-style level with the system, where in order to progress you need to backtrack through a large map once you've gotten the right power-ups, making note of the things you pass along the way. Ended up taking a whole six minutes to beat which I think is really up there in terms of Course length I've seen.

I've ended up with a pretty big puzzle-house that I'm honestly really proud of. This might actually end up being the way I approach Courses from this point on - any advice appreciated.

Have a look!

The Mystery beneath the Dunes

WPW SKT TRG

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

Hey everyone! I really wanted to make a Metroidvania-style level with the system, where in order to progress you need to backtrack through a large map once you've gotten the right power-ups, making note of the things you pass along the way. Ended up taking a whole six minutes to beat which I think is really up there in terms of Course length I've seen.

I've ended up with a pretty big puzzle-house that I'm honestly really proud of. This might actually end up being the way I approach Courses from this point on - any advice appreciated.

Have a look!

The Mystery beneath the Dunes

WPW SKT TRG

Very cool. I like tooling around in big levels, so I felt right at home here. I will say, there are a lot of sequence break opportunities here, I'm not sure if they were intended. My path was shoe, leaf, helmet. Were you aware you can get the leaf by triggering the thwomp and running over his head?

At any rate, I had a lot of fun. Waiting for the lift can be a little cumbersome, but that's not a big deal.

Good stuff, I'd recommend it to long level enthusiasts.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

guppy posted:

Thanks for the catch. I've deleted the level, extended those pipes offscreen, and reuploaded. New level code:

T8K-6MF-RWG

Fun course! I like the parody on the name, too.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

Fun, relatively chill level. I really liked the sliding section at the end.

Thanks! Glad you liked it! I took a look at yours and I think I see why :) Snowpeak Descent is lots of fun sliding, and Crumbling Sky Cathedral is great aesthetic work!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Level idea: Fix broken pipes by finding ways to attach them to objects and make them look better. Like dropping a Bullet Blaster from above right behind a broken pipe piece, for instance.

Run wild with it, don’t have the energy to do it myself.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

dizzywhip posted:

Bouncy Ball Bog
LKY-WG5-VBG

This was a lot of fun to make! I set out to create something a little more accessible and restrained than my last course, and I like the super ball powerup, so I made a series of little puzzles using it. I was planning on doing some more elaborate setups for the later puzzles, but I ended up feeling that the simpler ones were more fun and less frustrating so I mostly stuck with those. The ball can be a little finicky with more complicated setups.

The nighttime forest theme in SMB1 is super atmospheric so I decided to lean into that and paid a lot of attention to the aesthetics. I also tried making a vague little story out of it but I dunno how much of that comes through.

This was a lot of fun. I wish more superball levels were chill like this instead of frantic boss fights. It's a one ball limit, ya know? Good choice on the music and environment, too.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Random Stranger posted:

Extra lives. You can get three of them per stage in endless.

They also make people feel good when they get one.

A goon streaming my level “8-3’s Revenge” cursed me out when my bonus area had a 1up mushroom instead of a power-up, so this doesn’t always work 😇

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Found the All Star music Kaizo level. It's all memes in one: MYY-QR4-CVF

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

guppy posted:

T8K-6MF-RWG

I sympathized with your plight so checked out your level, I like it! It's got a good flow. And I said this about someone else's levels but cheep cheeps in the NES forest theme just fit so well, it feels like they're bouncing along with the music.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I just passed 4,000 Maker points. Movin' on up!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EDIT: redone

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 12, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

If you look at the leaderboards, the number one player has the following high scores:

Super Expert: 1
Expert: 6
Normal: 10
Easy: 10,300

Leaderboards are dumb.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Here's my entry for Jam 2. Bowser's gotten sick of kidnapping. He's built a top of the line assault ship and it's your job to stop him.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

If you look at the leaderboards, the number one player has the following high scores:

Leaderboards are dumb.

Imagine dedicating your life to maintaining the number 1 slot on the Mario Maker easy leaderboard.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is the NSMB style popular with kids? It always seems like the worst levels in endless are using that style set. It’s gotten to the point where I hover over the minus button when I see the ugly Mario and I end up pressing it more often than not.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

NofrikinfuN posted:

Leaderboards are dumb.

By my math at a minute per easy level that's 13 hours a day since release doing nothing but easy endless.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

hatty posted:

Is the NSMB style popular with kids? It always seems like the worst levels in endless are using that style set. It’s gotten to the point where I hover over the minus button when I see the ugly Mario and I end up pressing it more often than not.

Mario Maker 1 it was the most popular style because it gave mario a spin jump, wall kick, ground pound and a ton of other moves so epic troll levels could be made. It's still popular because it can do all that and has stuff 3D World doesn't which is the biggest crime.

By the end of Mario Maker 1 the most popular courses were NSMB > Mario World > SMB1 > SMB3 (SMB3 would lose out by a very large margin)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mario Maker 1 it was the most popular style because it gave mario a spin jump, wall kick, ground pound and a ton of other moves so epic troll levels could be made. It's still popular because it can do all that and has stuff 3D World doesn't which is the biggest crime.

By the end of Mario Maker 1 the most popular courses were NSMB > Mario World > SMB1 > SMB3 (SMB3 would lose out by a very large margin)

SMB3 suffers from basically being beta Mario World. Aside from the shoes, World is just better.

Now if they added Hammer Bro and Frog suits :hmmyes:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wowee, I refreshed my profile and I went down 50 creator points :shepicide:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

NofrikinfuN posted:

Leaderboards are dumb.

J-Spot posted:

Imagine dedicating your life to maintaining the number 1 slot on the Mario Maker easy leaderboard.

Imagine looking down on someone for only playing easy levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think its okay to play a moderate amount of easy levels. 1000 is a nice, aesthetically pleasing number of easy levels. 10000 easy levels is the realm of a real deranged motherfucker who will probably send bob-ombs to politicians he hates