Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Fire Emblem Fates: Decorate me with your love.

I was going to say that Scarlet's too good for Chome, but I'm too stunned with the Hyperbolic Time Chamber the game just pulled out of its rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

I've been curious for ages since learning that Fates' contrivance for having the kids in your army was apparently so dumb and after all this time I was beginning to think it couldn't possibly be as dumb as everyone seemed to think. But no. Absolutely every single element of this scheme is ridiculous. I don't know where to even begin questioning this. Like... this is a hell of a thing to just mention is a Thing that exists in this universe. I hope the game actually does try to explain what happens from the child's perspective at some point, because it's the only way this could possibly get any worse.

Did you ever see that episode of Futurama where Fry gets frozen and his dog dies in front of the pizza place he worked at waiting for him to come back?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
One thing Awakening did was put a small timeskip, like a year or two, in the late game. Since Lucina is non-optional, they made sure there was some timeframe for Chrom’s wife to be knocked up and not on a battlefield. Fates, or at least Birthright, seems like it probably takes a month or so as we beeline for Garon.

And of course I loved seeing Chome get dunked on for once.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Deeprealms are probably the stupidest thing they came up with. They exist only as an excuse to have fully grown kid characters without a time skip and the game never really acknowledges how truly hosed up it is.

How did we find them? Did Lilith open a portal to them or what? Why does no one else know about them? I assume that no one outside of our army does because if Garon knew about these magical time skip realms he'd be raising an instant army. All of these will never be answered because the writers didn't, or don't want to think about the ramifications of this.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The Hyperbolic Baby Dimension is so loving stupid, but people really liked Awakening and they wanted to continue profiting off that success even if the plot didn't allow the baby mechanic this time. And there still something even dumber to come from this design process.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
The best(?) thing about it is that with how it's written, the whole baby dimension thing ends up making almost everyone look like kind of terrible parents. And once or twice the writing actually starts to go with that. Doesn't actually follow through, but still.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
There's no way that people didn't just flipped when they found about the Baby Realm (I'm never calling it by the actual name). It's so loving stupid and just unintentionally makes everyone a horribly neglectful parent because of it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pyro Jack posted:

There's no way that people didn't just flipped when they found about the Baby Realm (I'm never calling it by the actual name). It's so loving stupid and just unintentionally makes everyone a horribly neglectful parent because of it.

And horrible soldiers since absolutely nobody could either keep it in their pants until the war ended or used Fantasy birth control. No, everyone, including the underaged pairs, immediately got knocked up, went to separate alternate universes for nine months, and just dumped the resulting kid there with only occasional visits every year or so from the kid’s perspective.

Apparently, the whole plan was to just leave any children in the Hyperbolic Baby Chambers to live out their entire lives with no contact with family or friends, cared for by random interdimensional strangers while the parents experience maybe a year or so of time. They only bring the kids out when old enough to fight for a cause they know nothing about and force them into a world where everyone they knew will age to dust before the war ends. Their parents couldn’t be bothered to even put the kids in the same realm so they’d at least have each other to grow up with. Even siblings are forever separated.

All because making a nursery in the magic castle was just too much work.

Like everything else in this crappy game, everyone involved are both idiots and horrible people when even the slightest thought is applied.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Why do the kids have to be their biological kids anyway? Drop the baby realms idea and have the paralogues be recruiting siblings/other relatives/adopting some random orphan as their protege.

Sure it's still a little hosed up to draft them into the war but at least they wouldn't have abandonment issues.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Fire Emblem Fates: ...What? What does that even mean?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Gruckles posted:

The Hyperbolic Baby Dimension is so loving stupid, but people really liked Awakening and they wanted to continue profiting off that success even if the plot didn't allow the baby mechanic this time. And there still something even dumber to come from this design process.

I can't find the interview, but the developers for Fates admitted they have no clue why Awakening sold so well. It's just a quest to make Awakening-but-more-in-every-way, since they have no idea why Awakening worked at all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

golden bubble posted:

I can't find the interview, but the developers for Fates admitted they have no clue why Awakening sold so well. It's just a quest to make Awakening-but-more-in-every-way, since they have no idea why Awakening worked at all.

They flat out admitted that they learned basically nothing from their success with Awakening? I mean, we all thought that was the case, but I never imagined that they'd openly say it.

I'm getting a bit more worried about Three Houses now. It looks great, but so did Fates at the beginning.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Geostomp posted:

They flat out admitted that they learned basically nothing from their success with Awakening? I mean, we all thought that was the case, but I never imagined that they'd openly say it.

I'm getting a bit more worried about Three Houses now. It looks great, but so did Fates at the beginning.

Read the Three Houses thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892275), there are good reasons to be optimistic. For example, this now deleted article from Endgadget: https://imgur.com/gallery/v27AaFD

It all sounds pretty encouraging, the trailers of both the story/characters and the gameplay looked good, too. I'm not too worried about the game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I haven't read that interview, but I have read the one where they said Awakening was, basically, all their ideas, and they weren't expecting to make another one soon, so for Fates they basically went "Uh... choose a side?"

Which explains a lot.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It doesn't help that doing 3 splits, with 3 different sets characters just made for a daunting amount of writing, just to cover the supports.

Male Corrin/Chome has something in the ballpark of 70k+ words written for -only- the support dialogues.
With the siblings having ~20-30k or so each on top of it.

So that's ~230k words just for Chome & Siblings, and for supports. Not in-mission dialogue or cutscenes, just support conversations.
If you included Azura, that's more words than are in Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix ( ~260k words.)
Even just with them ham handedly slapping down the tritest, most pointless writing, that's a lot to cover.

e: source: Insane people on the FE wiki have actually transcribed basically all of the game, so I just slapped that through a word counter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Imagine writing 70k words about Chome.

The only way I could do it is if I wrote “BORING” seventy thousand times.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Come on, it writes itself!

All war and no play makes Chome a dull boy

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I think you could stretch it out a little more by adding "Goring Zoring Loring Doring Noring Foring, why haven't you changed the protagonist yet?"

Corrin... I mean Chome, isn't just boring. Plenty of characters are boring. No, he's worse than that. Somehow, you have a complete void of character traits who still acts in a way to disrupt the player's immersion at every point.

He's the exact opposite of Doomguy. Corrin has thousands of lines of dialogue, has extensive relationships with other characters, and goes against the player's wishes at every turn. Despite this, Corrin never shows a concrete personality.

Doomguy, by contrast, has no dialog, just met the rest of the cast that morning, barely gives a poo poo about most of them, and pretty much always does what the player wants. (Ripping and/or tearing, mostly) Despite this, he's a clear character, with motivations and a worldview. (One focused, admittedly, on ripping. Also tearing.)

It's even more of a standout because Robin was good. Both Robins had clear personalities, with distinct quirks and opinions. Unlike in Fates, Awakening set Robin up as someone specific, not just a vague "protagonist here" template.

Robin was also not a total loving moron, which is a plus.

I still don't know how they screwed up so bad from game to game, but they did. And now we all live with the consequences.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I did not know the hyperbolic baby time chamber thing was literal. I thought the commentators and people in thread were making a weird joke about game mechanics. Don't think I'll ever fully process this information.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Torrannor posted:

Read the Three Houses thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892275), there are good reasons to be optimistic. For example, this now deleted article from Endgadget: https://imgur.com/gallery/v27AaFD

It all sounds pretty encouraging, the trailers of both the story/characters and the gameplay looked good, too. I'm not too worried about the game.

Why was that article deleted? Did it go live too early?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vavrek posted:

Why was that article deleted? Did it go live too early?

I assume so. It's basically a full game review (without story spoilers), and I haven't seen any other game reviews yet.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Robert Denby posted:

I did not know the hyperbolic baby time chamber thing was literal. I thought the commentators and people in thread were making a weird joke about game mechanics. Don't think I'll ever fully process this information.

When it comes to this game’s writing, we don’t have to exaggerate how terrible it is for comedy. It does that on its own.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

That Engadget article makes it sound promising, but I'm still skeptical. Guess we'll find out in two weeks.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 42 - Paralogue 2 - Dragon Blood

promotions, a robust and dull kid, timehole questions, the two types of people

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Seals are remarkably poorly named in this game.

Master seals always upgrade your class, and you can only use them once per character. This is how promotion in Fire Emblem generally works.

Partner, Friendship, and Heart seals are always side-grades. If you're unpromoted, you move to another unpromoted class, and if your promoted, you move to another promoted class. It always keeps your level the same. Partner seals give access to the base class of your S-rank support (i.e. husband or wife), and Friendship seals give access to the base class of your A+ rank support (i.e. your same sex BFF). Meanwhile, heart seal gives access to a class that's straight-up innate to the character. For example, using a heart seal on Mozu (a generally popular move) will always switch her over to the archer class. Chome's heart seal class was the talent you picked at the very beginning of the game.

This is what gives Fates a lot of replay value to me, since you can experiment a lot with shuffling characters to different classes. Or in some cases, taking characters who are terrible in their starting class and moving them to something far better (Azama is a very notable example).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

See, when the time hole cutscene played last episode, I assumed it was going to be that the parents would go have and and raise their kid on another world and then come back fifteen or so years later while no time really passed in the main game world. I'm impressed they managed to find an even more stupid way to handle the concept.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In Awakening was it not just the Kids coming back in time to help avert a bad future. Using a time portal they found or something. I think they should have done that again rather than make everyone terrible parents.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

inthesto posted:

Seals are remarkably poorly named in this game.

Master seals always upgrade your class, and you can only use them once per character. This is how promotion in Fire Emblem generally works.

Partner, Friendship, and Heart seals are always side-grades. If you're unpromoted, you move to another unpromoted class, and if your promoted, you move to another promoted class. It always keeps your level the same. Partner seals give access to the base class of your S-rank support (i.e. husband or wife), and Friendship seals give access to the base class of your A+ rank support (i.e. your same sex BFF). Meanwhile, heart seal gives access to a class that's straight-up innate to the character. For example, using a heart seal on Mozu (a generally popular move) will always switch her over to the archer class. Chome's heart seal class was the talent you picked at the very beginning of the game.

This is what gives Fates a lot of replay value to me, since you can experiment a lot with shuffling characters to different classes. Or in some cases, taking characters who are terrible in their starting class and moving them to something far better (Azama is a very notable example).

There's also ridiculous potential for min-maxing because you can get your 2 skills from one class, heart seal to another and get its skills, and then promote and get any of those skills you want. Then marry that unit, and the kid will inherit a selection of both parents' skills.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

In Awakening was it not just the Kids coming back in time to help avert a bad future. Using a time portal they found or something. I think they should have done that again rather than make everyone terrible parents.

But then they'd be antagonists since Chome & Co are terrible in general and prolly responsible for any bad futures.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes, but Awakening actually gave a drat and had a plot that centered around the concept and defying fate. Fates doesn’t really have a coherent theme to link its stories together and is noted as just trying to ape everything that worked in the previous game with no understanding of why it worked.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Gruckles posted:

There's also ridiculous potential for min-maxing because you can get your 2 skills from one class, heart seal to another and get its skills, and then promote and get any of those skills you want. Then marry that unit, and the kid will inherit a selection of both parents' skills.

Unfortunately, there's a weird catch-22 in this one, in that the only game worth doing this is (Conquest), is also the only game that limits your income, so you can only do this so much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geostomp posted:

a plot that centered around the concept and defying fate. Fates doesn’t really have a coherent theme.

Maybe this is why it did not work. A story about defying fate followed by a game called Fates.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Gruckles posted:

Easier said than done, mostly because of weapon skills. Have fun suffering through E-rank weapon hell near endgame (where you would be getting the juicy level 15 skills from your promoted classes).

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

The kid also had an Offspring Seal. I assume it lets them promote to some of their parents’ classes?

Can’t wait to see who Kana marries, btw. Awakening let you do dumb poo poo like marry a future-kid to someone in the present.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

HitTheTargets posted:

The kid also had an Offspring Seal. I assume it lets them promote to some of their parents’ classes?

Can’t wait to see who Kana marries, btw. Awakening let you do dumb poo poo like marry a future-kid to someone in the present.

It just keeps the kids separated

It's actually a specific seal that each kid gets if you recruit them late enough. The paralogues scale up the children units and the enemies depending on how late into the game you are, and if you're deep enough into the story, each kid comes with an Offspring Seal to function as a free Master Seal so you're not effectively taking a 2k gold penalty each time you recruit a kid. The only reason it's a distinct item is so you don't get a bunch of free Master Seals if you recruit the kids late. If you grind support ranks and make a beeline for kids ASAP, they'll come in at level 10 and not have Offspring Seals.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The Offspring Seal is a promotion, and also a level boost that scales based on what chapter you're on. So that child characters are ready to go in your team without additional grinding

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

yeah it's just a QoL thing so you don't end up with a bunch of characters at lvl ten a few chapters from the end like you do in awakening.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Oh, that’s pretty nice then.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

In this and Awakening, the Avatars are the only non-future kid who could marry a future kid. Keeps things mechanically neat.

Awakening also (at least when localized) realized some of the age stuff was potentially skeevy, so Ricken's S supports mostly had "We're getting married. Eventually. When you're an adult." and Nowi's supports had more moments where her dialogue read as "I've been around the block a few dozen times, but I act immature to cope with the fact everyone I ever loved has died." rather than "It's okay! I'm 1,000 years old. WINK."

Meanwhile, Fates just has early teens doing it, managing to make the skeeviest bits of Awakening feel mild, if only in comparison.

(In conclusion, Fates is a bad game.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
we just had a very productive recording session where i most certainly did not almost gently caress up two maps in a row so we were able to recruit some new child soldiers (and also some new ~mystery friends~)