Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Check out the Wargames Foundry samurai range for the full Breakfast at Tiffany's experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought they looked pretty good on my phone until I zoomed in. :gonk:

They might look OK painted without black, gaping holes where the eyes should be, but the sculptor has clearly never met a Korean person. They may have actually outdone the Japanese faces.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, unfortunately there’s a reason I don’t have a Japanese platoon for ww2. Compare warlord’s japanese with say, Tsuba’s magnificient russo-japanese war minis:

https://www.empressminiatures.com/japanese-61-c.asp

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
There is an episode of TFLs podcast that is only uploaded in one place, not promoted on YouTube &c. It's the one were a German in a reader letter points out that using swastikas as JOP markers in a campaign book actually makes it illegal in Germany.

It's a bit painful to listen to as Rich sounds like a libertarian rear end in a top hat and the others try to give him hints but he ain't taking it.

zokie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 29, 2019

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
i'm probably gonna end up taking a few runs at it when I paint my japanese troops to like... try and salvage that stuff. Yikes.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

So the Western Desert campaign book for Bolt Action allows British players to take Royal Engineers with a flamethrower option. Since Britian didn't really field any flamethrowers until 43-44 what would be t he most accurate way to depict it? Lend-leased American unit? Captured German unit?

The most realistic is prooobably the sappers asking the local American detachment very nicely if they could borrow some US flamethrowers the Americans weren't using anyway.

Broadly, neither the British nor the Americans used infantry flamethrowers in North Africa. The British Army had developed the Madsen Flamethrower, but it was not liked and most if not all of them ended up with the Home Guard. The US Army had flamethrowers on the books in the Mediterranean, but chose not to issue them in North Africa. Germany and Italy did issue flamethrowers in North Africa, and it's theoretically possible that a Royal Engineer unit could have captured and put these into use (I've not heard of this happening) - but the British and American choice to not use flamethrowers in Africa was less because they didn't have them, and more because they didn't need them. The terrain just wasn't all that suited for it, with stone fortifications and long distances that made the short-ranged, heavy, and cumbersome flamethrowers impractical.

zokie posted:

It's a bit painful to listen to as Rich sounds like a libertarian sperglord and the others try to give him hints but he ain't taking it.

Please don't. :shobon:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

zokie posted:

There is an episode of TFLs podcast that is only uploaded in one place, not promoted on YouTube &c. It's the one were a German in a reader letter points out that using swastikas as JOP markers in a campaign book actually makes it illegal in Germany.

It's a bit painful to listen to as Rich sounds like a libertarian sperglord and the others try to give him hints but he ain't taking it.

Rich has proven to be a bit of a twat numerous times. I'm not surprised.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

His response to people pointing out numerous inconsistencies, gray areas, and unclear wording in COC, and asking if there would be a second edition to correct those, was basically "lol shut up nerds :smug:".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It sucks cuz a slightly more well-put-together CoC would make it so much easier to get people to buy in

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It sucks cuz a slightly more well-put-together CoC would make it so much easier to get people to buy in

It's the best set of rules in need of a second edition out there, IMHO, even though the blitzkrieg book seems to have at least attempted to deal with some issues.

But yeah, just let a good editor do their work and include some new and improved scenarios, and I'd happily buy a 2nd ed book for that alone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

Please don't. :shobon:

Is this still a thing now that Aspergers isn't?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

moths posted:

It's not so much "not a thing" as it was re-categorized. Anyone who was diagnosed with Aspergers until 2013 would be qualified as "high functioning level 1 autistic" according to the DSM-5.

So it's still possibly insulting for anyone who received the Aspergers diagnosis for the 10 years it was on the DSM. It doesn't offend me personally but you it shouldn't be difficult to just not use those insults anymore.

Edit : And if you just Google it you'd find arguments like this, too.

quote:

Alicia Halliday, Senior Director, Environmental and Clinical Sciences at Autism Speaks concurs, saying: “People with Aspergers who want to maintain that diagnosis and label—because there is a community that identifies with that label—we support that. If they want to use that label and identity, they should be able to do that. It has nothing to do with DSM5.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 29, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

moths posted:

It may no longer be the diagnosis in vouge, but the attitude behind it, where a way people behave because their brains are wired slightly differently, is used as a pejorative, to indicate unwanted behaviour, has not become any less cruel.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I've been slowly chipping away at finishing my Soviet Stalingrad force with matching terrain. Decided to take a combo pic today to show what I've finished in the last month or two:

Everything I've finished since May

Sniper team + burnt out building

Snowviets. I'm not happy with how clumpy the snow ended up looking. Will need to experiment with my method. Holy poo poo the greatcoats are so much faster to paint than the regular uniforms though. Just paint, add a wash, and voila.

Command: Officer, Radioman, Commissar, and Medic

NKVD Squad led by the Clone of Stalin

Riflemen and LMG's flowing around a destroyed Sdkfz 250

Made this from scratch. Pretty happy how it turned out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What are you doing for snow?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

PinheadSlim posted:

Edit : And if you just Google it you'd find arguments like this, too.

I actually have come across that, and I disagree very strongly with the premise that a diagnosis should become an identity.

But it's way beyond the scope of this thread.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

What are you doing for snow?

This stuff:
https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/basing-materials/products/snow-180ml

Despite appearances it's not actually a powder. It's really short white static grass. It also unfortunately reflects light pretty well so if you get little stray pieces of your mini they look like they're covered in glitter.

a hot dad
Dec 2, 2018
Those are some great looking soviets and ruins. What scale are they?

The next cab off my painting rank is a Russian platoon - trying to home in on a khaki tone I like, but I'm also sorely tempted to give them all dark blue pants and call them cavalry. Not sure how historically accurate it would be, but Ilijonas' superb horsies have me swayed.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'm hoping those are really bad paint jobs on otherwise decent models, because I'd really like to do Korean War in 28mm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

This stuff:
https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/basing-materials/products/snow-180ml

Despite appearances it's not actually a powder. It's really short white static grass. It also unfortunately reflects light pretty well so if you get little stray pieces of your mini they look like they're covered in glitter.

Ah, right, gently caress that. What I did in the way back was I mixed powdered pollyfilla/spackle with baking soda at about a 50/50 ratio and plastered that onto the base surface, then when it was dry I filled it flat on top for bases and PVA'd a direct layer of baking soda directly on. After that was dry I got something similar to this, which is basically glitter in a clear sprayable glue, masked off the figure with some paper and gave it a tiny spritz on the base. Any that got on the feet and legs just looks like snow clumping. It worked out okay. What looked amazing was the table I made the same way, because when you bent down low to get LoS you got the same sparkling field effect that real snow gives and it was really cool.

Sadly this was stored in a friend's nerd shed when he lived with his parents, and his younger brother and his shithead friends trashed the whole thing only a few weeks after we finished it :negative:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

zokie posted:

If you are going go read a book about war, read this one. Unlike most books it doesn't glorify anything. It just reveals the grim, terrible, truth of war.

I read this over the last week on holiday and it was an exceptional book. Thanks for the recommendation!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cessna posted:

I'm hoping those are really bad paint jobs on otherwise decent models, because I'd really like to do Korean War in 28mm.

To show that I'm serious - here's a WIP "easy eight" Sherman intended for Korea.

That's going to end up with a freehand version of this paint job:

The models in the background are Warlord US Army winter troops:

With a bit of creative paint work I think they'll be fine for Korea. I've got enough to put together a decent army for Bolt Action or Chain of Command.

As for the other side, well, that's the problem. There is pretty much NOTHING out there in 28mm for North Korea in the Korean War. (Edit: There was a failed Kickstarter a few years ago, but nothing came out of it.) The closest you'll get is a single squad of CPV from 1st Corps:

They're decent, but there are only eight poses. That's not really enough to make an army. I can certainly get T-34/85s, but there's still a big gap there. I was in the process of slowly converting WWII winter Soviets by re-working their boots and equipment, but that's a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm glad Warlord is making North Koreans, and I'm really hoping that those models are just suffering from a really crappy paint job. Even if they're bad they'd still be easier to fix and make presentable than WWII Soviets, so I went ahead and ordered them.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 2, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I finally got around to ordering Hit the Beach, got it for less than 50 on ebay. I got some Italian Bersaglieri that were on sale at my FLGS too. Gonna base them individually and play some Bolt Action and Chain of Command :mil101:

Cessna posted:

That's going to end up with a freehand version of this paint job:

I'm glad Warlord is making North Koreans, and I'm really hoping that those models are just suffering from a really crappy paint job. Even if they're bad they'd still be easier to fix and make presentable than WWII Soviets, so I went ahead and ordered them.

That Sherman is going to look awesome, and I look forward to your attempt at unfucking those North Koreans.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Thanks!

The "tiger face" Sherman is a bit of an anachronism with the winter troops.

- The snowy winter most associated with the Korean War - the retreat from the Chosin Reservoir, etc - was November/December 1950.
- The "tiger faces" were painted on in tanks in the summer of 1951 as a bit of a morale-booster.

But they're really evocative and heavily associated with the Korean War, so I'm going to go with it.

The same goes for T-34/85s. US tank v. North Korean tank fights were very rare in Korea; for the most part the North Korean T-34/85s had been used up and/or shot up before the Shermans and M-26s showed up in numbers, but, again, it's about the story here.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 2, 2019

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jonas - I read your test game post on Lion Rampant and I enjoyed it a lot. I really should get my act together and continue working on my own retinues.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

I finally got around to ordering Hit the Beach, got it for less than 50 on ebay. I got some Italian Bersaglieri that were on sale at my FLGS too. Gonna base them individually and play some Bolt Action and Chain of Command :mil101:

Bandua Wargames has a pretty sweet deal for EU/UK goons atm as well. €38.25 without shipping.

https://banduawargames.com/en/late-war/38411-hit-the-beach-army-set-german-american-11x-tanks-2x-guns-96x-figs-plastic-9420020246560.html

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Qfom17E

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of tank anachronisms, how common were soviet tank slogans in reality? Googling them mostly brings up wargaming forums and poo poo

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking of tank anachronisms, how common were soviet tank slogans in reality? Googling them mostly brings up wargaming forums and poo poo

Afaik they were mainly a propaganda thing, but I’m far from an expert on the topic.

Today I was on vacation in London, watching the Coldstream guards, with support from the band of the Rifles, relieve the previus Gurkhas guarding the palace. A very milhist moment.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have no idea, I'm not an expert, but I don't want to miss a chance to bring up Mariya Oktyabrskaya, and her tank, The Fighting Girlfriend. I've no idea how much of this is true and how much of it is propaganda but it's a sweet story nonetheless.

And painting slogans on Russian tanks seems, to me, way more common than most other nations in WW2.

Edit : I also have a question for military history nerds. I want to know the exact tank composition of certain American units from WW2, how do I find that info? Wikipedia says the 758th Tank battalion ran Stuarts but the armored battalion structure also on the page dictates a mix of M4/M4a3 Shermans and Stuarts. Does that mean the 758 ran mostly Stuarts with a mix of other tanks or were Stuarts all they had?

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 3, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Saga question for which I can't seem to find an answer anywhere - how's balance across Saga Universes? Can you play a faction from Age of Crusades against another from Age of Vikings?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Azran posted:

Saga question for which I can't seem to find an answer anywhere - how's balance across Saga Universes? Can you play a faction from Age of Crusades against another from Age of Vikings?

I don't know about the current edition, but people did that all of the time in the previous one. I imagine they're intended to be cross-compatible.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Got Tabletop Simulator working pretty well so I gave One Hour Wargames a shot today on it. Played scenario 24, "Bottleneck" using the Horse & Musket ruleset.

The French arrange down the road opposed by a smaller British force. A wood and large lake cut off the sides of the table, one of which is occupied by a British Skirmisher unit and will be hard to dislodge.

Pushing the middle is costly for the front rank of the French, the Cavalry begin wheeling around the west flank as one British unit attempts to reposition is response. Skirmishers of both sides trade fire along the woods.

Right as they are staring them down point blank the British draw the Out Of Ammo card, screwing the Artillery, Skirmishers and center Infantry out of a round of shooting when it's desperately needed. The French wheel a unit of Infantry and pour fire into the woods, needing the hold it by game's end.

The awful British luck continues as all three elements in the center fail their morale checks, the Artillery running right into the French Cavalry getting wiped out. Some sustained volley fire makes quick work of the stragglers netting the French a solid win.

The rules were simple and fast without being boring, even after I added the optional morale and chance cards for a little more depth.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 6, 2019

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
First almost 100% Contrast painted battalion finished.

Contrast paints have made us more ambitious, and we're planning on doing the assault on Mt. Saint Jean scenario from the new General d'Armee 100 Days sourcebook. Almost 1400 miniatures in all!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

That's a huge minis count! How do you find the paints in general, is it a pros and cons where the pros weighs over for mass army painting?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

That's a huge minis count! How do you find the paints in general, is it a pros and cons where the pros weighs over for mass army painting?

It's definitely a pros and cons thing.

I feel that the results are good enough. They're not award winners or anything, but nothing I paint for Napoleonics will ever be that anyway, so quality is not a concern for me.

Time wise I feel that as much time as I'm saving by only doing one layer, I lose a bit of that saved time by having to use more precise brush work.

The big thing for me is my mental state. It makes a huge difference for me not having to go over the same area again, two or three times, with basecoat, shade and possibly a highlight. It feels much easier.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
After having my Soviets for nearly a year, I've finally slapped some paint on one of them.

This guy was the test. Now to finish the rest!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

After having my Soviets for nearly a year, I've finally slapped some paint on one of them.

This guy was the test. Now to finish the rest!

I'm loving the stock on the PPSh! Great color, and really stands out against the white in a good way.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Ooorah comrade!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Since the test of the basic infantryman went so well I decided to do something completely different and paint up my Assault Engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those look pretty great dude.