Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I mean, I personally, can only beat Easy and Normal levels reliably, especially in Endless where you get weird bullshit thrown at you at random. Unless I boot up the level code individually, I ain't gonna have a hi-score in anything but those two. (We need a way to make our own playlists.)

If the average Mario Maker creator weren't 8 years old or absorbed the tutorials, maybe things would be different, but that's not how life works.

Also, if didn't have the hand-eye coordination of a drunken mongoose. That would probably help too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Original level, do not steal:

Bridge Zone 1 (Sonic Game Gear)
Course ID: 3PM-5M9-P9G
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

It's probably been done before but I felt compelled to remake the Bridge Zone from Sonic for the Game Gear/Master System. The level design in that game always felt like the developers were given some vague idea of what Sonic would be and then they just went and made Mario levels.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I do not want to know why this is a hot course right now.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Streaming again: Starting with level creation and then viewer levels.

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The Lobster posted:

Imagine looking down on someone for only playing easy levels.

I'm not really looking down on anybody, it's just that 10,000 in the first week is pretty excessive. As it has been pointed out, there are unlockables tied to the leaderboards and someone averaging an approximate 13 hours a day grinding easy levels is just ruining it for everyone who doesn't have the luxury.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

Imagine looking down on someone for only playing easy levels.

Oh, I don't have to imagine.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm not really looking down on anybody, it's just that 10,000 in the first week is pretty excessive. As it has been pointed out, there are unlockables tied to the leaderboards and someone averaging an approximate 13 hours a day grinding easy levels is just ruining it for everyone who doesn't have the luxury.

That's true. And a completely valid point. But at the same time if somebody jollies their rogers playing Mario Maker for 13 hours a day and they do have the luxury, then they should be allowed to. I think this is more of a problem with how Nintendo is handling the unlockables.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Lobster posted:

I do not want to know why this is a hot course right now.

Haha I was watching dragonfeeney do endless expert a few weeks ago, and she got to this level. She just looked silently at the screen for a few seconds before hitting skip

Schmuck of Ages
Dec 18, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

Hey everyone! I really wanted to make a Metroidvania-style level with the system, where in order to progress you need to backtrack through a large map once you've gotten the right power-ups, making note of the things you pass along the way. Ended up taking a whole six minutes to beat which I think is really up there in terms of Course length I've seen.

I've ended up with a pretty big puzzle-house that I'm honestly really proud of. This might actually end up being the way I approach Courses from this point on - any advice appreciated.

Have a look!

The Mystery beneath the Dunes

WPW SKT TRG

I loved this, really captured that Metroidvania feeling of being lost and overwhelmed. Lots of clever "aha!" moments. I also liked optimising world record, in ways that I'm not entirely sure you'll consider a feature or breaking it? My eventual path: Get the key in the bottom right, up the elevator, hit the switch so the fire bar ignites the bomb, then make sure to hit the switch again. Go in the now accessible door, down and left to the key door, go in, grab the boot, go back through the key door and jump back up to the upper right. Jump on the saws and spikes, damage through the final big thwomp losing the boot in the process.

Possible anti-cheese for something like this: setting a clear condition like 'finish as Raccoon Mario' or something? But only if it's bothersome to be able to beat the level in this way.

This is my first time posting in this thread *and* my first time making Mario Maker levels, so apologies if this is too many and/or they are kind of terrible:

(in order of ascending difficulty)

Don't Touch My P!: LFW-P5V-2MG
Fairly short P switch gimmicky level. I tried to make the start of both sections as obvious as possible about what you're supposed to do. There's also total cheese for the first section which I eventually decided to leave in for anyone who wants to exploit it, since it basically lets you speedrun the level.

Wi, arae, wi wi arae: GW3-RXF-TRF
Underground level where you do something the right way up and then do a harder version upside down. Kind of a test of memory.

Snake Way: X0G-CW8-7TG
This was the first level I made and took me nearly an entire day to get "right". It's also got no clears and I feel like it's for masochists only. Basically you have to ride snakes for the entire level and there's no checkpoints because, er, that breaks the snakes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Moon Bugs!

7HP-VL8-BLG

Do you like music note blocks? Do you like spinies? Do you like spinies bouncing perpetually off music note blocks? If you're crazy enough to say yes, then this level's for you.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I triple dog dare you, play my course.

T68-LM3–MPF

edit: This is my one, trolly, terrible level I made on a whim. You should still try it.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 12, 2019

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I think my last course got smooshed by a page break. So I made a little thumbnail for it this time:

And for the other two because why not.

Sorry I haven't really been posting much in the thread. I have been playing courses from the randomizer, but I've mostly been responding in-game when I like something.
I think the Lilliput River course has been my favorite goon course so far. Though the Whispering Bluffs one was pretty incredible.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
I have finally returned, have two more levels. (I'm still playing other people's levels post-by-post but I'm woefully behind.)

Mysterious Mushrooms
It's time to harvest mushrooms, don't stay out too late.

ID: C1F-6BR-LPF

Terrible Tower (Week 2 Game Jam)
A nearby tower is in dire need of renovation, not to mention Boo-removal.

ID: CKR-MQ2-8MF

(Mysterious Mushrooms took me way too long, due to indecision, and Terrible Tower gave me trouble because I ran out of both ideas and parts to make a "full" tower.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can confirm that Whispering Bluffs is a good drat level.

Mainly because its not just "heh, I understood that reference" but actually stands on its own as a bizarre surreal level.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I love playing exploration levels in general because I never make them and the good ones all tend to be bizarre in their own way

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

that feeling when you're at work switchless and you have a cool level idea that you want to try out

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Control Volume posted:

I love playing exploration levels in general because I never make them and the good ones all tend to be bizarre in their own way

Mine's not bizarre but I hope it's still good!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I played a little bit of endless and saw a quagmire of bad NSMBU stages so I said gently caress it, I'm going to make sure at least one decent stage gets put into rotation.
This is as authentic as you can get I feel. I have no insane gimmicks, there's powerups to take advantage of (including a yoshi) and just tilting platforms. It's simple- but I'm happy with simple

If you play it lemme know if you enjoyed it :shobon:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I finally finished my Jam level. It's a remake of a level I made for Super Mario Maker. It's not as easy as my other levels.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks! Glad you liked it! I took a look at yours and I think I see why :) Snowpeak Descent is lots of fun sliding, and Crumbling Sky Cathedral is great aesthetic work!

Aw, thanks! Yeah, sliding is just the best.

The Lobster posted:

I just passed 4,000 Maker points. Movin' on up!

What up, 4000 club! Of my levels, my first level has my most plays, likes, and comments, but I can't tell whether that's just because it's been out longer, because people like it the most, or because I put it out there when there were fewer courses in total. Does anybody have a sense whether their plays are increasing, stable, or decreasing with time?

Reviews
Time for some reviews! Here are almost all of the levels posted on page 87. (If you posted multiple levels, I'm only playing the first, to spread things around.) Here we go:

Very clever level, although the enemy tower dropped right on top of me the first time because I ran forward. The level is decently challenging, so I would have appreciated some power-ups or checkpoints. And I must admit that I dislike the scream sound effect in general. I always feel bad when I kill an enemy and it screams as it dies... Anyway, it's an exciting level, and it's fun to try to find ways around the Hammer Bros. on the vines. At the end of the level, I kind of just ran above everyone on the clouds, though. Was that supposed to happen?

J-Spot posted:

I remade my second Mario Maker 1 course:

A Matter of Choice
Course ID: 7K0-5FQ-DGG
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

For this one I set out to create a stage where you'd pick between the fire flower or propeller hat at the start and then face obstacles that would be made either easier or harder depending on which one you had. I also made sure you could get through the whole thing as small Mario if you lose your power up, and hid a secret for an additional way to play through it. It was an interesting exercise in designing a level around all of the potential states a player could be in at any one time, something that I think a lot of designers forget to do. Going back to it I still think it plays well enough although I wasn't paying much attention to aesthetics at the time so my airship level is often more of a bunch of abstract shapes than an actual fleet of ships. For the most part this is a block for block recreation but I did have to make some adjustments for how the camera works in MM2 and also made a couple of tweaks to make things easier for small Mario to progress.

Just 3 more remakes to go and I'll have ported over all of the stages I wanted to.

Fun level centered around a neat gimmick. Fire flower all the way for me! (Although, there were parts of the level where I wondered if I made the wrong choice.) A little quibble: At the checkpoint screen, I ended up throwing myself to my death, because for some reason I though that the down arrow meant I should go down off of the cloud rather than back down the pipe. In most Mario level, it's unusual to backtrack through a pipe right away, so it didn't occur to me until after I died. If you do something similar in future levels, I would make sure that the person can't die on that screen. Still, it was fun!

Fawf posted:

Sometimes it's just nice to go on a stroll with your best friend

My friend, Bowser

RWC-V3R-DGG

Haha, fantastic! Put a smile on my face.

The Lobster posted:

Mario and the Hidden Treasure
FLH-FF9-M2G

There's gold hidden in the jungle! Can you defeat all the challenges to claim it?

(Note: You do not need to do all five challenges to beat the level.)

Fun exploration and puzzles. I was bobbing my head around to the great tunes. How many 50-coins are on the level? I went to the exit after getting four, but it looked like there were a lot more pipes.

Good Sphere posted:

Very simple course. Nothing miraculous here!

Sliding and jumping! Two of my favorite things! Seems like a good level for speed running. I would like to see something a little longer, though, with a few other different challenges thrown in. As it was, it felt a little short. (And I would fill in land under the slopes to make them feel a bit more substantial.) Still, it was good fun.

guppy posted:

Thanks for the catch. I've deleted the level, extended those pipes offscreen, and reuploaded. New level code:

Dr. Mario: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Bob-omb
T8K-6MF-RWG

I hate that making a minor cosmetic change means losing your likes and plays.

Good stuff. The bob-omb on that first 10-coin startled me, because I don't like being in the water with Cheep Cheeps around, but I made it. I wonder (since you referenced Dr. Strangelove), is there any good way of simulating riding a bomb down a long drop at the end of the level?

Calico Heart posted:

Hey everyone! I really wanted to make a Metroidvania-style level with the system, where in order to progress you need to backtrack through a large map once you've gotten the right power-ups, making note of the things you pass along the way. Ended up taking a whole six minutes to beat which I think is really up there in terms of Course length I've seen.

I've ended up with a pretty big puzzle-house that I'm honestly really proud of. This might actually end up being the way I approach Courses from this point on - any advice appreciated.

Have a look!

The Mystery beneath the Dunes

WPW SKT TRG

Oh cripes. I got pretty far (I think). I got the second key, and made it into the room with the second on/off block. But as big Mario with a tail I couldn't hit it. I left to get hit a couple times on purpose to become small Mario, but the timer got down to about 30 seconds and I died in my panic to get back up to the door. Was I close to the end? Really cool level. After spending so much time and failing, though, I didn't really want to try again. Maybe there's a good way to incorporate checkpoints in future levels like this? That would definitely help.

Internet Kraken posted:

Finally finished my Jam level!

Plunder the Lost Kingdom: 907-KM9-PKF

Mario's banzai drill tech has let his mining business really take off. However, after tunneling into a long lost kingdom, he realizes he can make a far greater profit taking it apart; brick by brick.

Its sort of a mesh of an autoscroller with a more traditional level. You have to follow a banzai bill as it burrows into the ground and use wall jumps to keep up with it while also avoiding ghosts. Once you get into the city, you can smash your way through the buildings to get crazy amounts of cash. However, the level is full of nasty ghosts and bones that make a prolonged visit difficult. How many coins can you collect? Can you get all the red coins and unlock the secret vault???

Neat idea, and cool atmosphere, but I have to admit that I found parts of the level pretty frustrating. The climb at the end was the worst, especially considering how close to the top of the screen Mario is when you're wall-jumping. Dodging ghosts and spikes when you can't see very far ahead isn't much fun, and after a few too many deaths on that section I quit the level. The big ghost (toward the top?) was right in the line of my jump before I saw him, and that was the last straw. It seems like some of the obstacles are designed to be right in the way of a natural jump, and I was annoyed by that. Present challenges, but don't actively work against the player. I really like the idea of plundering the city, but I lost my hammer by the time I got down there and didn't explore enough to see if there was another one. Is there a hammer power-up down there? And what's in the vault? I'm curious, but collecting all five coins while avoiding the plethora of ghosts doesn't sound great. So, in conclusion, it's a great concept, but it's too difficult and frustrating to be much fun. I would have given the player more hammer power-ups, have fewer ghosts down in the city, and replace the ghosts in the two vertical tunnels with something else entirely. Ghosts are annoying when you're trying to do challenging platforming. Still, I love your creativity! Just make your next course a little more forgiving.

d3lness posted:

Here's my entry for Jam 2. Bowser's gotten sick of kidnapping. He's built a top of the line assault ship and it's your job to stop him.

I like the thought behind this level, but I found it a little frustrating. Two complaints:
1) After the flying Boom Boom fight, there's a door stuck in a passageway two blocks tall that you have to jump into over a pit. This can be challenging if you're big Mario, and it's not a fun challenge. I actually missed the jump, got hit (by flames, I think), and then had to jump in as small Mario. Instead, just give players a platform they can jump onto to avoid a possible silly death just after winning a boss fight.
2) I didn't enjoy the fight with Bowser in the clown car. He constantly crowded me, and the combination of his flames and bombs killed me several times before I gave up. I'd encourage you to never do a boss fight in a small, empty room. Boss fights are fun when they are in an interesting room. Give the players a bigger room with some more platforms and other ways of killing Bowser. For example, you could have a pipe that spits out other Bob-ombs, or a cannon that spits cannonballs you can use to springboard over Bowser's head. Also, I would discourage you from having more than one boss character in a level. Just have one (or none), and save them for near the end of the level.
I like the creativity and story behind this level, but it needs to be more *fun*. Play-testing it a lot yourself, and refining things to be more enjoyable, would help. And always remember that your level will be harder for most other players, so consider whether you need to make things a little easier for players to enjoy themselves. Anyway, keep at it!

Finally, Spanish Matlock requested a review a lot of pages of ago:

Spanish Matlock posted:

I've only had a few footprints on my level so far. They're pretty hard, I guess, but I was thinking of them more as an intro to kaizo kind of deal. The goal was to present a set of challenges that are relatively easy to reset, like the first one teaches you about p-switch jumps, because that's the first thing that you do, is jump off some floating p-switches. If you fail, you're right back to the beginning so it's easy to try again. Both levels have generous checkpoints so you can repeat the tasks without having to do a bunch of tedious stuff you've already accomplished.

Anyway, there are definitely some rough edges here or there, but I think I learned a lot from them, both in how to do the challenges myself, and about level design.

1st Level: "Kuaizo Castle" 6TN-P7H-C0G
2nd Level: "Red Coins in the Desert" 639-KW0-3SG

1st level, Kuaizo Castle:
First, before I even begin: this level is sitting at a 0.72% completion rate, which sounds way too hard for me, but I'll give it a few lives anyway.
Okay, I'm back. I gave it about 10 lives. I got past the p-switch jumps three times, and past the lower level of spiny jumps once. Kaizo stuff (even intro-to-Kaizo stuff) is too hard for me, and I don't enjoy it. Having to figure out spinning shell jumps over rising lava in this level is definitely not beginner-friendly. This level may be really excellently designed (I can't tell), but it's not for me.

2nd level, Red Coins in the Desert:
I gave each challenge a couple lives, but I couldn't get anywhere on them. Like I said for your other level: I don't really enjoy this level of challenge.

My advice: if you want to continue making levels with this much difficulty, seek out other people who enjoy these levels, either in this thread or elsewhere, and start there. I guess there are kaizo communities somewhere (I've never looked), so you need to find those people if you want a larger number of people to play your levels. I suspect that people see the extremely low clear rate on these levels and are scared away. Alternately, dial the difficulty way down and focus on making a level that just plain fun; more people would probably play those. I think your low play counts simply reflect the fact that you're trying to get a wide audience of people to play very niche levels, and you should pick one or the other.

Plus, remember: when a player starts a user-created level, they usually don't know how good the level designer is. If I'm playing a hard level designed by Nintendo itself, I trust it to be hard-but-well-designed, so I'm willing to give it a lot more chances. However, when I'm playing a hard level designed by someone I don't know, I'm not sure if I'm failing because I'm bad (this very well might be the case) or because the level isn't designed well enough. Either way, I'm probably going to move on pretty quickly. If your players don't know you, you have to build up trust by presenting a very well designed level. To start, try making an easier level and see if you can get more people to play it.

Anyway, keep it up everyone! I love seeing what people can come up with in this game!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've been trying to create some kind of device that would reliably trigger an on/off block when you use a POW block on the same screen. So far, I haven't managed to find a solution that I think is solid enough, though.

Attempt #1: Bill Blaster sitting on top of a muncher with a block in front of it, so it can't fire until the muncher goes away, at which point it fires a beetle shell into the button. Problem: Blasters have limited range and take an indetermine amount of time between the POW exploding and firing, which opens up too many ways to ignore the gimmick.

Attempt #2: Thwomp in the air above two munchers, underneath which are on/off blocks. Problem: Thwomps only fall if Mario is actually below, and it's possible to kill the thwomps by timing the POW block so that it hits when they're sitting on the munchers.

Attempt #3: A blaster that fires a beetle shell into a sideways trampoline behind which is the on/off block and underneath which is a muncher. The shell will bounce indefinitely in the air keeping it alive, and once the muncher goes away it'll hit the on/off block pretty reliably. Problem: If you scroll the contraption off screen the shell will just phase through the trampoline and trigger the block anyway.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DorianGravy posted:

What up, 4000 club! Of my levels, my first level has my most plays, likes, and comments, but I can't tell whether that's just because it's been out longer, because people like it the most, or because I put it out there when there were fewer courses in total. Does anybody have a sense whether their plays are increasing, stable, or decreasing with time?

My levels are a bit more sporadically played with the highest average playcount being weighted toward the older levels. However I do get likes and comments on many different levels. Most of the time I only get 20-30 plays at the most per day on any given stage. I have 15 stages.

DorianGravy posted:

Fun exploration and puzzles. I was bobbing my head around to the great tunes. How many 50-coins are on the level? I went to the exit after getting four, but it looked like there were a lot more pipes.

Thank you! There are only five 50-coins, the max allowed. I'm curious as to the fastest route through the level. Some rooms are obviously faster than others.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
I took some of the feedback you gave me and improved on my level a bit. Instead of hammer bros. I used paratroopers, so it's still challenging, without being as much bullshit as before. I also removed a lot of the homing bills and replaced them with regular ones, but Left a few in near the end. I think it should be possible to get through now without getting hit, but my enemy placement might be off a bit.

Learn To Wall Jump Redux
ID: y63-n51-8cg

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've been trying to create some kind of device that would reliably trigger an on/off block when you use a POW block on the same screen. So far, I haven't managed to find a solution that I think is solid enough, though.

Give this a go:

(Please excuse the phone photo)

The giant muncher blocks the pipe, and when the POW block takes it out, a buzzy shell comes out. The red pipe is used to speed this up. It immediately hits one of the springs, knocking it into a switch. Add dotted line switch blocks in the back for easy clean-up.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

That looks like it could work, cool. Thanks. I'll try it out and see how it works with the other stuff I've got in mind.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Did you know you could have your medals taken away from you? :smith:

I had a gold for all-time levels and it downgraded to silver.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some more levels.

Treasure beneath the dunes: Decent level, but my brain was to small to find 2 of the coins. Also the section with the red pipes and piranhas felt somewhat unfair. They just come out so fast.

Origins: I guess this was fine but I'd probably like it a lot less if it turned out to literally just be a bunch of Mario levels stapled together. I only recognized the start of Mario 3 though.

Impossible Ice Fortress: Your decision to combine hammer bros and ice platforming is bold but pretty awful to play! I was tolerating this up until the part with the fire flower. I lost it 4 times trying to clear out the hammer bro blockade before getting timed out, at which point I quit. Level is just too annoying.

Make Way!: Great little tutorial for the builder power up. Teaching people about the box is difficult but I think your setup is as good as you can get, presenting a situation that clearly requires the box.

2-1 Shred End: This felt like a real Mario level, which is somewhat unfortunate since it was an autoscroller. I think this would work a lot better just as a normal climbing level; the autoscrolling isn't fast enough to add any challenge, it just slows you down. But the level design itself is solid.

On that note, if anyone played and has feedback for;

Internet Kraken posted:

Plunder the Lost Kingdom: 907-KM9-PKF

I'd greatly appreciate hearing it. The initial results with this level have been very disappointing, with many people seeming to burn out on the initial descent. I've already tweaked that a bit but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should change since I'm probably gonna try reuploading it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So medals aren't even permanent? That feels pretty crummy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, I figured I'd drop off eventually and was fine with it. Didn't know it would take stuff away when it happened though. It feels real, real bad honestly.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I had a gold for all-time levels and it downgraded to silver.

Nintendo!!!! :argh:

But yes I did know that. I think it's, to quote some of the comments left on my levels so far, "HoT gArBaGe!!!!" "*drawing of middle finger*" "booooooooo~!!!"

Pubbies are so eloquent. *wipes tear*

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
What determines the difficulty level of a course? I'm wondering how the sort through easy to expert levels.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Remade my wrestling themed level from the last game - Koopa Wrestling Federation - 3K1-PTV-WDG

Now with extra commentary about the depressing lives of pro wrestlers.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Finally got around to playing the Endless challenge, and I'm not really sure what to say. I started skipping every time I saw a car after the first time. Got so annoyed by enemy spam that I started giving out Boos for levels that relied on it even if they were otherwise not terrible. I got a level that consisted of literally nothing but a ! block that crushed you when you pounded it, and that was one of the better ones. Out of... let's see, 41 levels, there were 2 that I genuinely liked:

Torrid Temple: GWM-TW6-W0H
Desert temple level that looks great, and is based on on/off switch puzzles that are challenging and yet also fun! The creator left the timer at 300, and this is a level that really needs 500, but it's still worth playing for all it does well.

Snowy Rainbows: X90-V95-XRF
Fun, challenging vertical athletic course. Saw comments calling it a troll level, kept playing it anyway—it's definitely not a troll level, just a bit rough in spots. The difficulty ramps up significantly in the second half, and there's an on/off switch section where it's really obvious the creator didn't test it while big (I still beat it with crouch-jumping), but the penalty for failure is just falling a bit and having to climb back up to where you were. This had some of the most difficult platforming of any of the levels I played, and I still cleared it on one life. I appreciate that.

Perry Normal posted:

Remade my wrestling themed level from the last game - Koopa Wrestling Federation - 3K1-PTV-WDG

Now with extra commentary about the depressing lives of pro wrestlers.

The pyro entrance! :allears:

I guess I was a heel champion because I won my matches by chucking members of the audience at my opponents.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks for the kind words all!

DorianGravy posted:

Good stuff. The bob-omb on that first 10-coin startled me, because I don't like being in the water with Cheep Cheeps around, but I made it. I wonder (since you referenced Dr. Strangelove), is there any good way of simulating riding a bomb down a long drop at the end of the level?

I don't think so. I deliberately made it in the SMB1 style as a meta-joke about it being a movie from 1964, so your movement options are pretty limited. The closest you could come is jumping after one as it walks off a platform.

The Bob-ombs on the 10-coins are actually meant to make you rush for them, because -- and I wasn't sure this would work, I had to test it -- if you're too slow they'll blow the platform and it'll drop into the water and sink offscreen.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Okay, okay, so I put together a level with that muncher on/off thing. It seems to work, but it's entirely possible there's some janky way to screw up the intended solution, so I'm just gonna post it here for now. If someone would try it out I'd be greatly appreciative. Safe POW Disposal: 1G8-RLG-6JF.

Alternate title in a universe where the course name limit isn't so short: Some days you just can't get rid of a POW block

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd love a way to have an endless challenge, but be able to filter out game types.

I'd never enable 3DW again :colbert:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
There's no shame in skipping.

But yeah, I agree, it'd be nice to not have to do it manually.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love a way to have an endless challenge, but be able to filter out game types.

I'd never enable 3DW again :colbert:

Same. 3D world sucks for me, or I suck at it.

Anywho, I started messing around with level creation for the first time if anyone wants to play some amateur levels. Here's my Maker ID. 46X-808-65G

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
3D world is actually becoming my favorite style just because you can't do as much insane stuff in it, which means there's more focus on traditional gameplay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Internet Kraken posted:

3D world is actually becoming my favorite style just because you can't do as much insane stuff in it, which means there's more focus on traditional gameplay.

I can definitely see this point, but it still feels very 'off' to me. I love that the long jump is in there, for however much it's used, but man, there's some weird disconnect in my brain when I see the foreground (meh) vs the background (gorgeous), and it makes me just dislike the whole thing.

That being said, I definitely want 3DW ported to Switch. Game seems fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

3rd Level: "Super Skyjinx and Boney Shells" WMN-RXL-8RF

Bounce on some stuff, do some dry bones shell tricks and win the game!