Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

It's just too bad DGKK isn't on this list too. It would be awesome to have all 3 goon FCs in the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bremma posted:

The names were datamined out from the character creator a few days after release.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yoEdGJeN-2MpguxdsZD95e4FrkqGhYh1s6btqZmfNBU/edit?usp=drivesdk

I used that to help settle on Azmir Azorya for my catman. Prior I was a Roegadame called Wilfwyb Thosinloefwyn so I'm always all in on the lore appropriate names.

I am enjoying my cat man though!

Also he pulls off the mascot head styles well, even if my friends hate all of these glamors.

Apparently making the frog and chocobo head talk with /visor is 'creepy' and unsettling'.

Ah, last time I saw that spreadsheet, it didn't have the headers. Still, I would like the criteria, no sense in picking a name that sounds like it might be, but turns out to be from too far over the border towards Russia or something.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
If a sidequest has a picture in its journal entry, that means it's generally part of a quest chain that might eventually lead to some neat reward at the end of it, or at the very least, gives you a cute story that's more substantial than your usual one-and-done sidequest. Most of the aether current quests are generally this, usually concluding with a quest chain which brings the two groups together at the end of it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

New Denmo video. Massive spoilers so do not click if you have not finished Shadowbringers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isqt8fjrVKo

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

"Everyone is horrifyingly maimed" is the Ascian viewpoint and not the viewpoint of literally millions of people who are perfectly happy and capable without the ability to make random poo poo with their mind. Arguing that 'well they're the superior race so they're justified' is pretty loving creepy.

Really, the sundering in fact ended up with a lot more life, 14 worlds that each had their own people. Those worlds may all have individually been thriving too if Zodiark's followers were actively trying to destroy them

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So is Zodiark divided across all these worlds too? I'm a little unclear on what exactly is his current status right now.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Rhonne posted:

So is Zodiark divided across all these worlds too? I'm a little unclear on what exactly is his current status right now.

Pretty much, IIRC thats exactly how Minfillia describes it when you meet her again in HW. And apparently his 'main' body is sealed inside the moon.

Happy Seafood Guy
Oct 8, 2008

I want in on the end of Shadowbringers screenshot party.

I fantasia'd into a Lalafell a few months ago and I wasn't sure if having a catboy from 2.0 through 4.5 was going to keep me from taking the main story seriously or if I should just glamour the ghost outfit because gently caress immersion but ShB did a great job of bringing my character to life. But I think a lot of it is the eyebrows.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Rhonne posted:

Hydaelyn split Zodiark into 14 pieces, except Zodiark is the world given will so it split everything except herself along with him. So there's a piece of Zodiark in every shard just like everything else.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

On the topic of Zodiark and Ascian poo poo being discussed: It seems real clear that "being combined" may give you a larger mana pool for casting spells or doing Ascian trickery, or increase your Saiyan battle power, but it isn't some kind of great imprimatur of moral success. The Warriors of Darkness on the First didn't have 'soul stacking'. Chai-Nuzz and the entire world came together to build that giant Talos, and their dream came true, even if it wasn't as fuckin' pretty as Emet-Selch would have liked.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be fair, Emet also implies that conflict and war are also a result of the shattered souls making humans less rational and reasonable. The inhabitants of the original world lived in complete peace and harmony (with unlimited resources), and every last one of them was willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. So in that sense they were more moral.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 12, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Happy Seafood Guy posted:

I fantasia'd into a Lalafell a few months ago and I wasn't sure if having a catboy from 2.0 through 4.5 was going to keep me from taking the main story seriously or if I should just glamour the ghost outfit because gently caress immersion but ShB did a great job of bringing my character to life. But I think a lot of it is the eyebrows.
I found my old Lalafell PC not expressive enough, but the WoL has a lot more expressions and personality in the latest expac so I bet it helps a lot.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clarste posted:

To be fair, Emet also implies that conflict and war are also a result of a the shattered souls making humans less rational and reasonable. The inhabitants of the original world lived in complete peace and harmony, and every last one of them was willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. So in that sense they were more moral.

thats not exactly true since

during the aether quest in the tempest you watch a debate between two ascians and one of them is all for letting the other group eat poo poo so they can shore up their own defenses. after zodiark was summoned there were plans to feed zodi mana so he could resurrect all the ascians who died too iirc. so i think they were feeling the whole thing would be consequence free

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Clarste posted:

To be fair, Emet also implies that conflict and war are also a result of a the shattered souls making humans less rational and reasonable. The inhabitants of the original world lived in complete peace and harmony, and every last one of them was willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. So in that sense they were more moral.

If what Emet claims was even the truth. He was one of Amaurot's leaders, I have a sneaking suspicion that he wasn't the most objective observer of events - remember that one of the Council, implied to be us, resigned from the Council when the others decided to summon Zodiark.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Clarste posted:

To also be fair, his own currently "more moral" plan involves mass-murdering a huge number of people whose primary distinction from him appears to be level of superpowers and skill, rather than, for instance, pursuing some sort of peaceful rejoining plan or encouraging all of the splintered souls to grow up strong and whole, creating fourteen worlds instead of one. Some dumb catboy showed at least the same heroism as his vaunted ancients; Cid apparently figured out the theoretical basis for time travel.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Can someone help a sprout out? I got a notification saying I had new job quests available but I can't find anything with my old job quest giver. I am a Warrior and have completed all the missions up to and including my level 50 job quest. I looked up the level 52 quest/NPC on the FFXIV wiki but it gives me locations that do not have the NPC I am supposed to and a location in Upper La Noscea that does not exist. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

DrNutt posted:

Can someone help a sprout out? I got a notification saying I had new job quests available but I can't find anything with my old job quest giver. I am a Warrior and have completed all the missions up to and including my level 50 job quest. I looked up the level 52 quest/NPC on the FFXIV wiki but it gives me locations that do not have the NPC I am supposed to and a location in Upper La Noscea that does not exist. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Click the Quest name under your quest tracker and it should show you where to go.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrNutt posted:

under the MSQ thing on your UI there should be a bit about your next class quest. click that and itll show you where to go on the map

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I believe there's another level 50 job quest to start the new chain off. Did you do "Better Axe Around" with ol' Gorge?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DrNutt posted:

You probably need to do the level 50 HW job quest that starts the chain, not the 52 quest.

e: beaten

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hmm thanks for all the tips, nothing showing up in my quest markers and Curious Gorge doesn't show a new quest available so... Not sure. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

They lived in peace and harmony until the first genuine difficulty they faced. That's kind of the key there. We see enough in the sidequests to know that the reason they could be peaceful was because it was easy to and as we can see from the Ascians who survived once it became them or other people they promptly got down to the genocidin'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Hmm thanks for all the tips, nothing showing up in my quest markers and Curious Gorge doesn't show a new quest available so... Not sure. :shrug:
Did you wrap up the 2.55 stuff? You may need to officially move into Heavensward content before those quests become available.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nessus posted:

Did you wrap up the 2.55 stuff? You may need to officially move into Heavensward content before those quests become available.

Yeah, this is probably it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nessus posted:

Oh okay, I'll keep mainlining MSQ stuff then. I'm just already at level 55 so I was worried my gear would start lagging behind if I didn't keep up with my WAR quests but that makes sense.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

DrNutt posted:

Oh okay, I'll keep mainlining MSQ stuff then. I'm just already at level 55 so I was worried my gear would start lagging behind if I didn't keep up with my WAR quests but that makes sense.

I was pushing 54 before I made it into HW and while it's irritating to spend all that time unchanging, you'll be fine and can just do a shitload of class quests straightaway.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DrNutt posted:

If you're in the Ironworks set you won't start getting replacements until about that point in the Heavensward story progression. So you should be fine if you want to go rock out the 50/52/54 class quests.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

DrNutt posted:

Job quests don't give you new gear until the 60/70 marks. If you haven't already, pick up some ironworks gear in Mor Dhona and that should last you through most of heavensward, after which dungeon gear will last you to 60 when you can pick up shire gear in the next pit stop.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

yeah, dont worry about falling behind your job quests while you are at 2.x stuff, just keep pluggin away at your main story quests and also be aware even if you get there and get several done there will probably be a roadblock in the quest giver being in a zone you cant get to yet.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Welp just did Good King Moggle Mog and that was certainly a highlight of the game so far. :staredog:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

DrNutt posted:

Welp just did Good King Moggle Mog and that was certainly a highlight of the game so far. :staredog:

I find FFXIV shines best when it takes itself less seriously and tries it's hand at comedy. The Inspector Gadget Hildebrand quests are good fun too.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DrNutt posted:

Trust me man, as someone not that much further than you, Good King Moggle Mog has gently caress all on events that happen just after Shiva, and I'm told that this is only the start of a massive climb.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is Pipin the only cool lalafell?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

In the sense of being the only "good potato character," no, there are others.

In the sense of being the only bad motherfucker potato who isn't a wizard? Yeah, basically.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

In the sense of being the only bad motherfucker potato who isn't a wizard? Yeah, basically.
I like the guy who goes with you to the Isles or Umbra

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

If dwarves count, there's Giott on the First.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Tataru and Wedge are cool.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This will be my last ~reaction~ post for a bit because my wife's playing through the game and I'm stopping at Heavensward for her to catch up, having finished the last 2.5 quest.

Big spoilers

Urianger :( I thought you were cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One thing I didn't get in the story

So is the WoL like 7/14th of a full unbroken person while everyone else is 1/14th? Why/how did this happen? When Ardbert powered us up, was he bumping us up to 8/14th? And I guess that extra bit was the bump needed to be able to successfully handle the light? Was this temporary or do we permanently have his power?

These questions have probably been asked a million times but I unbookmarked the thread to avoid spoilers

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

One thing I didn't get in the story

So is the WoL like 7/14th of a full unbroken person while everyone else is 1/14th? Why/how did this happen? When Ardbert powered us up, was he bumping us up with 8/14 ? And I guess that extra bit was the bump needed to be able to successfully handle to light? Was this temporary or do we permanently have his power?

These questions have probably been asked a million times but I unbookmarked the thread to avoid spoilers

In short: We don't know. It's ambiguous and there's no clear answer.