Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

DorkusMalorkus posted:

So there was a Simpsons panel at E3 and they talked about Tapped Out, the mobile game. I confess I do still play it, it does force you to get a lot of lovely new characters like Moe's sister and Milhouse's uncle who is an Indiana Jones type adventurer for some loving reason, but it kinda feels worth it to play long enough to get classic ones like Mrs Botz and Leopold. Also I'm addicted at this point. The E3 panel assured fans that the game is not dead and updates are still coming. Also the following highlights, taken from this link https://tstoaddicts.com/2019/06/12/simpsons-panel-at-e3-a-recap/ (I didn't actually watch the video cause gently caress that)

-Stewart Burns is essentially “in charge” of TSTO on the writer’s side. And comments about how he has a hard time getting the writers to work on it (although claims it’s better now)
-The writers like to make fun of the players playing TSTO, much to the chagrin of EA
-They commented many times how no one reads the dialogue so they don’t know why they spend so much time on it
-Writers work on the updates individually. Unlike the show, where they work collaboratively.

So they have contempt for their audience and don't give a poo poo about the product they are creating. No different to how they write for the actual show then.

The dialog in the game is better than the modern show, low bar and all.. My brain also tells me to tap the characters and it'll release more endorphins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I played that game for a bit a few years ago. Back then there were hacks to get all the premium content and as many donuts as you ever wanted for free...

what stood out to me though is that I've seen maybe 3 episodes tops since season 12 and there were hardly any characters, set pieces or events that I didn't recognize.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

I played that game for a bit a few years ago. Back then there were hacks to get all the premium content and as many donuts as you ever wanted for free...

what stood out to me though is that I've seen maybe 3 episodes tops since season 12 and there were hardly any characters, set pieces or events that I didn't recognize.

If you use create characters, you have to give money to that character's creator! gently caress that!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I went to my moms for dinner with my brother and his wife and the only TV shows we can agree on are shows we watched when I was a child.

We found the Simpsons but I guess it’s a later season. Homer starts a driving hard rock band with all the other dads and Apu and... I seriously, seriously couldn’t tell where the jokes were supposed to be. I was drunk, I was stoned, my brother kept going “oh this is such a good episode!” but I only spotted on gag, Homer goes “uh oh, quick picture a Bond Girl” but it’s M. I laughed at the exact moment that Homer goes “oh no, it’s Judi Dench!” and I realized I laughed at THE JOKE and then Homer explained the joke after I’d already gotten it. It was surreal to think I was somehow ahead of the show’s own joke.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

CodfishCartographer posted:

I dunno anything about Tapped Out (i assume it's not great) but lol at shaming someone for spending money on a thing they enjoy because you don't enjoy it.

if someones hobby was throwing money in to a river, would you lol at someone “shaming” them for wasting their money?

at some point a line must be drawn where you can say someone is using their money in a wasteful manner. for me, manipulative mobile game purchases are on the wrong side of that line. if everyone in the world had enough, sure it would be valid to say how someone choses to spend their money shouldn’t be criticised. until then, gently caress you and gently caress predatory “turning players into players” mobile games.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol you can play mobile games without giving the company money , it’s possible .

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

They did say that they hadn't spent any money on it, so only time was wasted :v:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Homer screaming NERDDDD out the window

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Punk da Bundo posted:

That wasn't very nice.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve always said that if someone made a playlist of the “best episode per season from 15-present” I’d watch that, but goddamned if I’m trawling the depths to do it myself.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve always said that if someone made a playlist of the “best episode per season from 15-present” I’d watch that, but goddamned if I’m trawling the depths to do it myself.

I could give you such a list but to be honest that one with the guys starting a band probably would have been on it. The best episodes of the season standards get pretty low.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m waiting for the Talking Simpsons guys to get to bad seasons to see if they find anything decent.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

J-Spot posted:

I could give you such a list but to be honest that one with the guys starting a band probably would have been on it. The best episodes of the season standards get pretty low.

I'm guessing that in some cases you can only get a single smirk and that's enough to count as the funny episode that season

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DizzyBum posted:

That wasn't very nice.

Hey pal, did you get a load of the nerd?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm guessing that in some cases you can only get a single smirk and that's enough to count as the funny episode that season

Pretty much. Nowadays the bar is so low that an episode counts as above average if it manages to have a coherent story and the characters display the smallest spark of personality. I'm not sure I could even come up with a "best" episode of season 30.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When Homer tells Marge to blame Tibor, "the guy who can't speak English" on mistakes at work, and later Smithers says Tibor lost the keys, is Smithers also blaming Tibor for his own mistake or did Homer lie to Smithers?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

When Homer tells Marge to blame Tibor, "the guy who can't speak English" on mistakes at work, and later Smithers says Tibor lost the keys, is Smithers also blaming Tibor for his own mistake or did Homer lie to Smithers?

The joke is that Tibor gets blamed for all of Homer's incompetence and mistakes.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Tibor said goodbye to the shoes

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Detective No. 27 posted:

The joke is that Tibor gets blamed for all of Homer's incompetence and mistakes.

And then Homer complains about Tibor getting promoted despite being blamed for all of Homer's poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder what became of Zutroy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(If the answer is “was the subject of a season 26 episode”, don’t tell me)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

But maybe Smithers also blames Tibor!

Riptor posted:

Tibor said goodbye to the shoes

Also this.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Data Graham posted:

I wonder what became of Zutroy

He and Marge got into the restaurant business in season 26’s “The Zutroy of Cooking.”

Data Graham posted:

(If the answer is “was the subject of a season 26 episode”, don’t tell me)
Oh poo poo, sorry.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

In the reruns, they clip the top and bottom of the shots so they can stretch it into widescreen TVs. So the joke where Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Dry are all coming out of the same pipe doesn't show. It just looks like 3 different pipes coming from the ceiling.

Although I think I might have heard that Matt Groening pitched such a fit about it that they've gone back to the right aspect ratio.

Reminds me of when Gary Larson complained about the sign for the Haywire factory being cropped from the "Everything's gone you-know-what" strip.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Reminds me of when Gary Larson complained about the sign for the Haywire factory being cropped from the "Everything's gone you-know-what" strip.

This post reminded me that Gary Larson appeared as himself in a season 21 episode.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

ahhhhhh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Only Randy Jackson and none of the other American Idol judges is loving sad.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Only Randy Jackson and none of the other American Idol judges is loving sad.

Uh, Simon Cowell is on that list.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Uh, Simon Cowell is on that list.

Oh yeah he is. That's the one you gotta get right there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Apparently Zutroy appears in the season 23 episode How I Wet Your Mother, but the synopsis doesn't actually mention what he does there.

Since you asked, the episode is an Inception parody where Homer starts wetting the bed, and after his wearing diapers gets in the way of their sex life, Professor Frink offers Marge to borrow his Inception machine to figure out the cause of the bed wetting. They go through a bunch of stupid dream sequences where they're constantly chased by a grim reaper carrying a coffin with the word "marriage" on it, and they ultimately end in Homer's limbo, which is a world where all the buildings are beer and food, Ned Flanders is dead, and Homer has a girlfriend who is a beer keg with Marge's hair and a tongue made of pizza.

It turns out that the grim reaper was the ghost of Homer's mother (she dies in season 19), and the coffin represented Homer feeling guilty about his parents' divorce. She forgives him and he stops wetting the bed. Then she continues to appear in a speaking role in a couple of flashback episodes, including one where Grampa and the old folks at the old folks' home are given hallucinogenic pills that make them relive an idealized version of their youth, to which Marge puts a stop because she thinks it's disrespectful to their dead loved ones.

I had to read all that, so now you guys have to, too.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah he is. That's the one you gotta get right there.

All of the judges were there. That was during the brief period where Ellen DeGeneres and Kara DioGuardi were on AI.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

All of the judges were there. That was during the brief period where Ellen DeGeneres and Kara DioGuardi were on AI.

I dunno who Kara DioGuardi is and I have no idea why Ellen would be a good singing contest judge, so I'm going to name that the lowest point of American Idol

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Apparently Zutroy appears in the season 23 episode How I Wet Your Mother, but the synopsis doesn't actually mention what he does there.

Since you asked, the episode is an Inception parody where Homer starts wetting the bed, and after his wearing diapers gets in the way of their sex life, Professor Frink offers Marge to borrow his Inception machine to figure out the cause of the bed wetting. They go through a bunch of stupid dream sequences where they're constantly chased by a grim reaper carrying a coffin with the word "marriage" on it, and they ultimately end in Homer's limbo, which is a world where all the buildings are beer and food, Ned Flanders is dead, and Homer has a girlfriend who is a beer keg with Marge's hair and a tongue made of pizza.

It turns out that the grim reaper was the ghost of Homer's mother (she dies in season 19), and the coffin represented Homer feeling guilty about his parents' divorce. She forgives him and he stops wetting the bed. Then she continues to appear in a speaking role in a couple of flashback episodes, including one where Grampa and the old folks at the old folks' home are given hallucinogenic pills that make them relive an idealized version of their youth, to which Marge puts a stop because she thinks it's disrespectful to their dead loved ones.

I had to read all that, so now you guys have to, too.
So I googled this and it’s actually a real episode. Good god. Let this show die.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

were they on as themselves?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Gotta wonder how much time and money is spent on guest stars versus all other aspects of production.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're saving a fortune on animation

e: hey was there ever a joke about the photos on peoples desk? like their family and stuff. I vaguely remember it but it might be something else

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 24, 2019

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/simpsons-homer-backs-into-the-bushes-meme-gif.html

quote:

It was Cesar Mazariegos, a new Simpsons hire and one of the youngest writers in the room, who pitched the idea of Homer texting his own meme in the season 30 episode, “The Girl on the Bus.” Mazariegos, who previously created the comedy High & Mighty, says that it may in fact have been his first joke that made it onto The Simpsons.

gently caress that guy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Tens of thousands of dollars of damage?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Punk da Bundo posted:

No, it was when Homer burned his GED and house down after being accepted into colege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Catching a random Season 20+ episode on FXX. Homer's not around and Marge is laying in bed, says she misses him, goes into the nightstand, pulls out a dildo sized box, long pause, pulls knitting needles out of the box and starts knitting.