Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

General Dog posted:

Where did Ratto come from again? I agree he's really good; he combines old-school columnist gravitas with some fairly enlightened (but not insufferable) takes.

He was the resident lovably grumpy guy on a lot of bay area sports broadcasts for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh yeah I forgot about Roth

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

General Dog posted:

Where did Ratto come from again? I agree he's really good; he combines old-school columnist gravitas with some fairly enlightened (but not insufferable) takes.

He was a columnist for CBS Sportsline and ESPN.com for loving ever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's written a bunch of places, mostly the San Jose Mercury News, but the primary gig pre-Deadpsin was doing TV and online columns for the Bay area NBC Sports affiliate

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah but they still haven't fired Haisley
Speaking of, he decided he just had to write about the USWNT's dominance after the end of the World Cup and not surprisingly it contained at least one incredibly laughable error that had to be edited out and and a bunch of other poo poo that made you wonder what the hell women's soccer tournament he was actually watching.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 11, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

He's written a bunch of places, mostly the San Jose Mercury News, but the primary gig pre-Deadpsin was doing TV and online columns for the Bay area NBC Sports affiliate

If he wasn't on Around the Horn I probably never came across him.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

David Roth is at Deadspin

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah but they still haven't fired Haisley

i have a theory about why they haven't done so, and it has nothing to do with the union

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so is it up to us to guess, or....?

e: vvv lol

DJExile fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 11, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is it that they hate soccer

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

one of my coworkers was a Thunder fan because PG13 is his favorite player, i kinda want to buy him a cheap jersey or shirt or something next time i get an opportunity

either that or get him a knockoff CP3 Thunder jersey

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is it that they hate soccer

no, it's that Haisley's black and if you don't think a site like Deadspin is heavily concerned with representation amongst its staff then I've got a bridge to sell you.

and the reason Ratto's there is because their new editor Megan Greenwell is from the SF Bay Area and liked him. yeah it's a weird fit and all but hey, a paycheck's a paycheck.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i think they just don’t give a poo poo about soccer and haisley gets enough hate clicks to where firing him is more trouble than it’s worth

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
congratulations to Haisley for being the whitest black person of all time

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Whitlock died??

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I enjoy what Ratto is doing at Deadspin, I'm always at least amused at everything he writes there.

I don't know enough about soccer to care about what Haisley is writing. I'm rooting for someone at Deadspin to reveal the FIFA-subsidized mass graves in Qatar filled by Bangladeshi indentured servants because you know that's a thing that's happening there, right?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

I enjoy what Ratto is doing at Deadspin, I'm always at least amused at everything he writes there.

I don't know enough about soccer to care about what Haisley is writing. I'm rooting for someone at Deadspin to reveal the FIFA-subsidized mass graves in Qatar filled by Bangladeshi indentured servants because you know that's a thing that's happening there, right?

David Roth did a huge series when he was at SBnation

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2013/12/16/5215850/world-cup-2022-qatar-profile

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

no, it's that Haisley's black and if you don't think a site like Deadspin is heavily concerned with representation amongst its staff then I've got a bridge to sell you.

I'd believe this if deadspin was its own site/company, and honestly I still do to a certain degree, but he's pretty far from the only black person working at gmg

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Declan MacManus posted:

i think they just don’t give a poo poo about soccer and haisley gets enough hate clicks to where firing him is more trouble than it’s worth

pumar's stuff is pretty good though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can't believe our resident Barstool defender thinks Haisley is there purely for a diversity quota

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So what's wrong with Haisley? I never read him because he seems to just write about soccer.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

General Dog posted:

So what's wrong with Haisley? I never read him because he seems to just write about soccer.

he has dumb opinions, which is its own thing, but also makes tons of basic factual errors with hilarious consistency

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

General Dog posted:

He generally (but not always) has pretty bad takes, but that's not unusual for bloggers in this day and age. What is unusual about him is how bad of a writer he is. He writes these really odd run-on sentences that are impossible to parse and don't make sense by the end. Like he is genuinely not good at writing the English language in a way that is palatable to the masses.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

General Dog posted:

He cannot write a sentence under 50 words that doesn't contradict itself halfway through it. His articles are like 2000 word meditations on very straightforward topics that leave you wondering if you've had a stroke. He is the reason they invented editors and yet he somehow does not haveone.

I actually think part of the reason they keep him on is because they know that his articles generate a crazy amounts of traffic in the comments from all the people dunking on him. That or its some type of silent protest about the decline of literacy in America.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

What is unusual about him is how bad of a writer he is. He writes these really odd run-on sentences that are impossible to parse and don't make sense by the end. Like he is genuinely not good at writing the English language in a way that is palatable to the masses.

It's this, yeah. He's as wordy as Andrew Bucholtz and completely incoherent.

He also easily gives more attention to the MLS than even their biggest fans and it is always to beat the same, tired "DID YOU KNOW THE MLS SUCKS????" drum to death, even when every reader agreed with him years ago.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

now that I think about it he might be the only writer I come across who I regularly struggle to comprehend from a structural perspective. This is not as a result of his ideas being vague or obtuse (although this happens too) but because he fails to understand how the very building blocks of sentences and paragraphs work together to convey an idea.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

god dammit i hate him so much

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

never forget, as Crazy Ted once pointed out, that Haisley once wrote this whopper of a sentence:

the word count: 332 posted:

These rules, as so coherently laid out above, will certainly help grow the league by facilitating the introduction of new players of a higher quality, being as their salaries will be higher than what is currently allowed by the salary cap, and while a cynic may ask why they don’t simply open the market up and either greatly expand the existing cap or get rid of it all together, which would negate the need for these overlong and partially misleading rules (all of this is money can be used, it doesn’t have to be, and as evidenced by the existing Designated Player and TAM rules which are utilized to vastly different degrees from team to team now, there’s no reason to expect each team to actually “invest” these funds to the maximum allotted levels) and then answer his own question by pointing out how the money, if unused, eventually reverts back to “the league” a.k.a. the various franchise owners as a whole who themselves share ownership of MLS, rendering that $37 million figure if not wholly illusory then at least highly speculative and exaggerated, and subsequently posit that the real goal of the ever-changing rule book is to continually obfuscate the processes that allegedly constrain the centrally controlled league’s behavior, adding in clause after technicality after loophole until no one really knows why moves happen the way they do and no one can complain when, say, Clint Dempsey lands exactly where the league office wants him, or when that same club can now offer a salary high enough to sign a potential star homegrown player, like Stanford’s Jordan Morris, to ensure that their preferred markets stay competitive without ever facing the market pressures of any of the other top leagues they keep promising to contend with Very Soon Now, Just You Wait, that would entail specious reasoning that, if included in one big string of words, would be no more clear or concise than the rules he so cynically sought to lambaste.

a super-computer is still trying to diagram it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean it's not a good joke but that's still clearly a joke

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've noticed that in the past 6+ months or so Haisley only seems to write maybe 30% of the soccer articles on Deadspin.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

they seem to be phasing him out for the other guy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah he's definitely doing less. For a while he was the only one after Greg Howard went to... i think the NY Times?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mactheknife posted:

they seem to be phasing him out for the other guy
I don't think he helped his cause any when he wrote an article about a month ago comparing Carlos Vela's statistical dominance of MLS in 2019 to Leonel Messi's statistical dominance of La Liga, and then literally-I-poo poo-you-not admitted right in the middle of said article that he hadn't watched a second of any LAFC games this year.

He just looked at some xG plots and rows of stats and turned it into 2,000-3,000 words of VELA:MLS = MESSI:LA LIGA

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People keep saying he has bad takes but MLS still sucks so where is the lie :confused:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Benne posted:

People keep saying he has bad takes but MLS still sucks so where is the lie :confused:
Because he literally makes it up. Those of us who've said he makes elementary-level errors that have to be edited out of his columns...we're not joking.

In his post-WWC column, he lamented the fact that the US' run as the "first team ever to win back-to-back Women's World cups" would be over as they're over taken by Europe, the "sleeping giant" of women's soccer. Also he said that the US failed to dominate the tournament like they should have.

Germany went back-to-back in 2003 and 2007.

European teams have been 2-3 of the semifinalists in every Women's World Cup except for maybe one.

They needed some good fortune, but the US outscored European teams 10-3 between the last group stage game and the four knockout stage games. They outshot the Dutch in the final something like 20-4 and drat near every journalist who watched agreed it would have ended about 5-0 if not for the Dutch goalkeeper.

This was basic poo poo that had to be pointed out to him by people in the comments. I'm not exactly the biggest women's soccer fanatic but I did work on the USA, Canada, and Jamaica during the WWC for the sports information company I work for now, so the above facts were all incredibly easy-to-find.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 13, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Yeah he's definitely doing less. For a while he was the only one after Greg Howard went to... i think the NY Times?

Yeah Howard went to the Times as a David Carr fellow but he seems to have fallen off the map since the lovely Media Men circulated. I think he was one of the guys in red.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

morestuff posted:

I mean it's not a good joke but that's still clearly a joke

And it's not particularly difficult to understand. Sure the vocabulary is needlessly complex, and it's a mess of a sentence, but it all flows logically.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

That specifically isn't a lie, it's that he hasn't stopped beating a horse that died 4 years ago and it's really loving tired. The whole world knows the MLS is a punchline but he loves saying it endlessly because he thinks it's some incredibly salient point that nobody has considered before.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Deadspin's come a long way since the Daulerio days when they were basically Barstool Lite. Ratto was an inspired hire and most of their staff ranges from fine to good. Magary is still a fun read if you're into his style of assholishness. They even got Charlie Pierce to do a guest column on Jim Bouton yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I like Giri Nathan's tennis writing a lot even though I don't particularly care about tennis including the sublime headline "Tennis Toilet Beef Leads One Player to Tell Another to 'Shut Your gently caress Up'"