Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

this is so good. everything is just straight better as in 4.1

except of course again no proper splitscreen options but well, no one seems to care these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

haldolium posted:

this is so good. everything is just straight better as in 4.1

except of course again no proper splitscreen options but well, no one seems to care these days.

4.1 had great splitscreen and so does 5 iirc???

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I, Butthole posted:

4.1 had great splitscreen and so does 5 iirc???

Standard vertical split, no config options. Its there but nothing particular great. I would prefer horizontal and much more ootb dm support but I haven't tested that for 5 yet.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
God this is just such a fun series.

I love everything they did! The sprint is fantastic, the upgrades are fantastic, I love the wing diver's roll, I love how you can straight place your airstrikes instead of just throwing smoke

It's all so good. Man, I needed this.

"I am the most courageous one here."
"You can say that."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How is the MKB support this time around?
In 4.1 the game was fine but the menus were a mess.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inzombiac posted:

Menus seem mostly the same but I never had an issue with 4.1's after I learned that the arrow keys were lava

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Inzombiac posted:

There's an actual rear end cursor in menus now

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I, Butthole posted:

There's an actual rear end cursor in menus now

Thank you black Jesus!

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
god drat that first shotgun for the ranger owns, especially when you upgrade its poo poo reload to like 2 seconds

also the rangers sprint with the collection area is a huge quality of life upgrade. kinda annoying with it's wind up time but hey, still solid feature. not having to roll around everywhere all the time is amazing. also no more missing an item box with a badly aimed roll and having to double back

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

All the shotguns are great in 5 because they all penetrate now

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Minion Buster is ridiculously strong, goddamn.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Damo posted:

god drat that first shotgun for the ranger owns, especially when you upgrade its poo poo reload to like 2 seconds

also the rangers sprint with the collection area is a huge quality of life upgrade. kinda annoying with it's wind up time but hey, still solid feature. not having to roll around everywhere all the time is amazing. also no more missing an item box with a badly aimed roll and having to double back

Between being able to summon their own vehicles, being able to sprint, and having claymores and bombs, I think the Ranger is the most improved; this is in the game where you can place exactly where bombing runs are going and support machinery reloads itself when holstered so I'm saying a lot

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Can't play until I get home :argh:. Do Fencers still require laser support to use the big, stupid missiles? That always annoyed me in 4.1.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

EDF5 is another inexplicably good port. I was worried since my aging machine is the minimum requirements but it runs great at 1080p with everything maxed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shine posted:

Can't play until I get home :argh:. Do Fencers still require laser support to use the big, stupid missiles? That always annoyed me in 4.1.

I've only seen the base Leviathan, but it does require an Air Raider's laser.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

I've only seen the base Leviathan, but it does require an Air Raider's laser.

Man, just lemme carry my own designator around you jerks :argh:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The humanoid aliens are the best loving enemy. Blowing their limbs off is so satisfying.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pretty much every 4.1 missile requires a guide tool to not be crap, even the ones that can shoot on their own.

Naeglings are good, but even then you can pair them with a Guide Beacon if you want to switch between killing bugs/drones and killing something tougher.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm refunding after a couple hours, I realized something.

They gave rangers a sprint, but they didn't give them fixed bayonets. This is a really bad oversight.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Who needs bayonets when you can knock down trees by running into them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grondoth posted:

I'm refunding after a couple hours, I realized something.

They gave rangers a sprint, but they didn't give them fixed bayonets. This is a really bad oversight.

This would break the game, because nothing can withstand those.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

This would break the game, because nothing can withstand those.

I bought it again, this is a good point

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Pros:
+ Even more weapons and enemies
+ Rangers can sprint with larger pickup radius
+ Air Raiders can place air strikes much more freely and accurately
+ Airstrike AOEs are more clearly marked for teammates
+ Vehicles have larger pickup radii
+ Vehicles get a dedicated equipment slot
+ Weapons and armor can now drop for classes you aren't using
+ Duplicate weapons are no longer useless
+ Tons of other improvements I didn't notice in the short time I got to play

Cons:
- Songs are way worse

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is EDF 5 fun alone? Like if you don't have anyone to play with or if your internet is real poo poo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Is EDF 5 fun alone? Like if you don't have anyone to play with or if your internet is real poo poo.

It's less fun but still fun.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

LuiCypher posted:

Two legs, two arms, two eyes... They look just like us.

I saw the aliens, they have two eyes on their face. I believe they see with their eyes, just like humans.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I managed to troll someone by strapping a decoy on their back and it blocked their bullets while singing. He got rid of it by landing in a fire zone.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I managed to get to mission 27 solo on hard today with ranger, but I have a tough time seeing myself beating it without some more armor first. Those red saucers shred through my measly 400 armor fast, and even two direct shots from the level 10 fang sniper rifle doesn't down them.

Fun game so far though. Played some multiplayer with a friend too. So far wing diver feels like way more work than ranger. I was having problems beating mission 24 with solo wing diver, where you get a bunch of frogs dropped on you. Ranger cleaned it up easily.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
EDF has always been grindy as poo poo, which is way co-op is there to get around it and help you grind. All the more so now that you share pick ups if I'm remembering this right.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Scalding Coffee posted:

I managed to troll someone by strapping a decoy on their back and it blocked their bullets while singing. He got rid of it by landing in a fire zone.

I forgot you can attach them to players. I almost want to buy them now

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got this and I love it. The first couple of missions are a bit boring but then it gets really fun and the dialog gets really stupid

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
God
damned
terrorists

What country made these?!

The bikes actually work in this one, too. I love drifting.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 12, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Alright we have a plan for a new aircraft to deal with the dropships. It'll take two months to make them and two months to deploy.

*five months later*

Alright all the new aircraft got destroyed, they only got one kill.

*shoots up for 10 seconds*

"I'm sending this vital information to the entire world."

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Don't forget the Grindbuster / Hooligan Cannon, a magical weapon that kills the poo poo out of aliens so hard we never see them use it past some meaningless missions.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Conflicts should be resolved using dialogue.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

At least they bothered recording wingdiver lines for it this time though.

True, though it is of limited value to me when I don't even care about the songs in 5 because of the lyrics being comparatively boring.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I swear to god the ai teammates and home base radio guys get dumber with each sequel

I love it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

*An alien ship the size of New York descends over the city*

"Is this a terrorist attack?"

"Sir, it must be aliens!"

"This is no time for jokes!!!"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so the white stars mean a stat is maxed out, correct?