Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

that's super interesting that you can kinda force your brain to interpret it a different way, now i'm wondering if you could like, trick or force your brain to re-map something without surgery, just by messing with its feedback or thinking about it really hard or something...

A fun party trick is that you can trick people into "feeling" touches on a fake rubber hand with an assistant who'll do something like run a feather over the target's real hand under the table while you move a feather over the same parts of the fake hand on the table, and then as long as the target's looking at the fake hand they'll say they're feeling the touch even once the assistant stops.

There's a bunch of articles out there on it, but this one will suffice https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16809-body-illusions-rubber-hand-illusion/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah a long time ago i saw an ep of something (Nova I think) where they demonstrated one of the ways they treat phantom limb pain in people who have lost a hand: a box that has a mirror in it that you put your hand in. the mirror makes it look like you have two hands, and your brain almost immediately goes "oh there it is, ok it looks fine i guess can stop screaming nerve signals at it"

brains are weird.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shame Boy posted:

yeah a long time ago i saw an ep of something (Nova I think) where they demonstrated one of the ways they treat phantom limb pain in people who have lost a hand: a box that has a mirror in it that you put your hand in. the mirror makes it look like you have two hands, and your brain almost immediately goes "oh there it is, ok it looks fine i guess can stop screaming nerve signals at it"

brains are weird.

I mean, whole human body is dumb as poo poo from a design perspective.

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 21, 2019

animist
Aug 28, 2018

iospace posted:

I mean, whole human body is dumb as poo poo from a design perspective.

not nearly as dumb as my code

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

animist posted:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

animist posted:

I've had to extensively refactor both :j:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like to consider my body akin to an old Java monolith no one wants to work on and are just waiting to deprecate.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
nerve pain sucks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
went to toronto pride with some friends last night, had fun, might call in sick and go out again tonight

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I like to consider my body akin to an old Java monolith no one wants to work on and are just waiting to deprecate.
I'm the legacy coldfusion app no one wants to work on oh my God I was making a joke but that is depressingly apt :cry:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I am a Hadoop cluster. I contain big data. did I do this right

Ms. Twiggy
Sep 9, 2018

Floppy drives should be stylish and fun
i mean you did get bottom surgery so I sure hope you can contain “big data” now

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lain Iwakura posted:

nerve pain sucks

Ouch. Phantom limb pain?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

something something formatted fat32

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I go home tomorrow. I have an anxious partner waiting for me and a bed I sorely miss.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

feeling particularly awful today

10 years and I still can’t look in the mirror without acid eating away at the back of my head

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

something something formatted fat32

hello

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
when u ACKin but ur gender won't SYN

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

BE NICE :mad: this is a no-shame zone

animist
Aug 28, 2018
body dysmorphia is a good time

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

animist posted:

body dysmorphia is a good time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWZisnZ-RGE

We all deserve far better good times. :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1145470707150860289

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

lil nas seems like a fuckin rad dude

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

And of course people are being horrible about it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/james_jpeg/status/1145474387581329409

good luck james

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/james_jpeg/status/1143380373105258496

god dammit why did i look at james' twitter now i feel really old and confused

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quite a lot of straight people in that twitter thread seem to feel the need to make it clear that "it's okay i still like your music despite this" which... i mean guys you're kinda missing the point...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shame Boy posted:

quite a lot of straight people in that twitter thread seem to feel the need to make it clear that "it's okay i still like your music despite this" which... i mean guys you're kinda missing the point...

heterosexuality is second only to masculinity in fragility

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
ayy i went to the anti-corporate pride, and then the corporate pride, and was out with my so all day

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jit bull transpile posted:

Which just makes his tweet even better.

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1145617264378548224

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

it feels like they're trying to be supportive or even allies which is the weirdest part. a lot of straight people treat it like it's some kind of disease or character flaw and pat themselves on the back for accepting him despite it, i mean i've seen this before plenty but it's always so weird

like what exactly do you think you're accomplishing here straight people

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
also I just lol at homophobic hip hop fans forever because hip hop is gay as all hell. let me just plaster myself in Gucci, Louis, dolce and Gabbana, piles of jewelry, then insist I'm the hardest most hetero dude ever.

like bro you have the same fashion sense as jeffree star, how do you hate gay people this much?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shame Boy posted:

it feels like they're trying to be supportive or even allies which is the weirdest part. a lot of straight people treat it like it's some kind of disease or character flaw and pat themselves on the back for accepting him despite it, i mean i've seen this before plenty but it's always so weird

like what exactly do you think you're accomplishing here straight people

i think they genuinely think they're bring accepting and progressive

i think people get that way when they realize that homophobia is wrong but have no idea how to not be homophobic

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
dilations are weird yo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i'm gay for my boyfriend

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i'm gay just in general

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lain Iwakura posted:

dilations are weird yo

I've been told to hold on to the dilator if you feel a sneeze coming on

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

dilations are weird yo

yarp. you're gonna be so sick of it in three months
I just graduated to the green one today

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My folks are coming over for the week after I'm out of hospital to help out. I'm grateful. But also there's going to be times where "Mom, dad, going to be stretching out the vagina, dont come in unless its important!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Synthbuttrange posted:

My folks are coming over for the week after I'm out of hospital to help out. I'm grateful. But also there's going to be times where "Mom, dad, going to be stretching out the vagina, dont come in unless its important!"

my brother is staying with me right now and he's clearly a bit uncomfortable with it.