Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

From the r/elationships thread in GBS:

Boss literally didn't even give him the time of day and was going to leave him doing double duties for no extra pay.

Somehow, the other guy blames him and not the company being lovely sociopaths.
there's a lot of answers on workplace.stackexchange talking about employer-employee relationships that reveal in the OP and the replies an extremely subservient and ugly cultural mentality

(in a lot of ways it's not really their fault everyone is trained at an obedience school)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Forceholy posted:

I always got a speech of "You're lucky you even have a job."

lol that boss is still running the playbook from 2009

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

TheMostFrench posted:

Viral advertising strategy?

These Stranger Things ads are getting absurd.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

frogge posted:

I still have job-PTSD or whatever you would call it from an annual review for a job I worked fresh out of college. Basically worked my rear end off and when review time came along my boss gave me 4/5stars on like everything because, "there's always room for improvement." Found out through the grapevine that she had done that to everyone in the department and with scores that low(!)- corporate HQ basically let her pocket most of the money set aside for our raises. So she's walking away with thousands of dollars more a year and we're getting maybe an extra $8 every week.
It was then that I finally learned that hard work and loyalty aren't always rewarded and you'd better believe I half assed as hard as possible until I found another job.

I still get a slight panic in my gut when reviews come around at my current work but at least now I know the game, and we're a union shop so I'm not getting as screwed.

Had something similar.
We were rated to have 0.5%-5% raises, all based on performance.
Some managers said 'gently caress we can't rate our team on this' so gave them all 5%
My manager said 'gently caress I can rate my team on this' and rated us depending on how much buddies we were.
His D&D roleplaying group that were in the team all got 5%.
Everyone else 0.5%

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pro tip: work for an old hippie custodian who has the working class kind of class consciousness. He'll call you a tranny and use racial slurs daily, but he also has stories about the army and doesn't care if your 30 minute lunch is an hour and a half long every day for five years. The entire housekeeping team spent the last few days playing blackjack and watching movies. Plus all the custodians are super nice and there's monthly potlucks where an filipino grandma talks about how glad she is to see you. Plus they fire sex pests.

Downsides: aforementioned angry old white guy, busy days are as terrible and grueling as every other housekeeping job, it's only for three months a year and you work with me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Motherfucker posted:

So what you're saying is he was smarter than you.

I dunno. I left that place but she got busted down to crew and they garnished her wages. So I guess it depends on who you ask?

Not sure how long that stuck around though

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Has this been posted itt before?

They've abandoned any pretense of people being able to own property, all the streets have been replaced with poo poo like "three day music festival" and "yoga retreat"

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Reviews are such garbage. I had a single review over two years at my last job but we were told it would be every 6 months. Anyway, because I took the job seriously and actually put effort into building/keeping rapport with clients and taking over some of the larger sites we ended up keeping a bunch of huge contracts that we were no longer the lowest bidder on. Review time comes and I get a solid 2 or 3 out of 5 because one time I spoke poorly about the company in front of a client - that is to say, I let the client know that particular branch had been grossly negligent in their responsibilities. I should have phone my supervisor/the manager/a boss nevermind it was out in the boonies at 1 am.

gently caress reviews.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

bike tory posted:

Has this been posted itt before?

They've abandoned any pretense of people being able to own property, all the streets have been replaced with poo poo like "three day music festival" and "yoga retreat"

All the properties start off owned by the bank and you just go around the board paying rent and fees until you're the last one standing. You're only sources of income are passing go and winning $10 in a beauty contest.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

The Nastier Nate posted:

All the properties start off owned by the bank and you just go around the board paying rent and fees until you're the last one standing. You're only sources of income are passing go and winning $10 in a beauty contest.

We played the game with these rules once in a high school history class, as "Communist Monopoly."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lmao

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
imagine going to work for any other reason but the money. like do I like working? no not at all. I really like having money though, kicks the poo poo out of not having money.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I actually like my job and find it interesting but I guess I'm in the minority

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

No I like my job and also find it interesting I just wish it paid me enough to support my family without my wife working or provided any incentive to work harder or be better other than my own intrinsic motivation.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

actionjackson posted:

we can't all work from home

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i like my job, find it interesting, and am very well paid for someone without a college degree. but if i didn't need it to meet my material needs for food, shelter, medicine, education, and leisure, i definitely wouldn't go anymore.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Adhesive Gamin posted:

We played the game with these rules once in a high school history class, as "Communist Monopoly."
*cough* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Landlord%27s_Game

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The tl:dr is monopoly was made to show how luckbased and literally bullshit "rich get richer" capitalism is.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
OG monopoly was Georgist

Georgism was fine with capital, hated land ownership

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Honestly I like my job, and if I could do it for 10 hours a week, and maybe spend 10 hours a week picking turnips or fixing cars or whatever else breaks the routine for a while and spend the rest of my time relaxing and having fun I'd probably be in a much better place psychologically and so would basically everyone else on the planet. G'luck parecon people.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
campaigning on making 10 hours full time with livable wage

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'd love my job if it were only the 24hrs/week I'm meant to work but I end up doing 30-35hrs/week and it's killing me.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

T-man posted:

Pro tip: work for an old hippie custodian who has the working class kind of class consciousness. He'll call you a tranny and use racial slurs daily, but he also has stories about the army and doesn't care if your 30 minute lunch is an hour and a half long every day for five years. The entire housekeeping team spent the last few days playing blackjack and watching movies. Plus all the custodians are super nice and there's monthly potlucks where an filipino grandma talks about how glad she is to see you. Plus they fire sex pests.

Downsides: aforementioned angry old white guy, busy days are as terrible and grueling as every other housekeeping job, it's only for three months a year and you work with me.

gently caress that I would never put up with being called tranny on a daily basis no matter how much I "liked" my job, that will inevitably wear thin

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

http://twitter.com/BagholderQuotes/status/1149481054903787526

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Every job I've ever worked at has only been for the money, and as far as I'm concerned, job satisfaction is a myth

constantly swinging between "at least I don't have to live off unemployment benefit scraps" and "I want to burn this place to the ground"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I started working at Amazon mostly for money but also to get me out of an office chair job that was slowly killing me, but I ended up just turning this job into a gym membership where they pay me to show up. I'm either walking 17ish miles a day or lifting 15k+ lbs of poo poo in the form of boxes, depending on what role in the building I'm given on whatever day. Pay's poo poo (lol $15 an hour ain't nothing when you only get 18 to 28 hours a week anyway) and benefits are nonexistent obviously since it's a megacorp and thus gives no shits about anyone below C level, but my cardio is insane now so it's working out basically how I expected it to.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Bag holder's investment lost half its value in a day as its leadership draw suspicion for fraud and self-dealing. Not a bad investment. Must be fake news.

(SA = Seeking Alpha, stock blogging-type site)

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

I started working at Amazon mostly for money but also to get me out of an office chair job that was slowly killing me, but I ended up just turning this job into a gym membership

Shhh, they'll start charging you for membership.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

TheMostFrench posted:

Viral advertising strategy?

this really fucks me up

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Hey, that looks like a Roland Space Echo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

frogge posted:

It was this. The same company later also fired an entire sister department to mine the day after Christmas so they'd show profits for that quarter by cutting labor costs, which was kinda the final nail in the coffin for me staying any longer than absolutely necessary.

MBA types should be first against the wall.

I guess they were really close to the line if saving 5 days of salary made the difference between profit and loss!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

I started working at Amazon mostly for money but also to get me out of an office chair job that was slowly killing me, but I ended up just turning this job into a gym membership where they pay me to show up. I'm either walking 17ish miles a day or lifting 15k+ lbs of poo poo in the form of boxes, depending on what role in the building I'm given on whatever day. Pay's poo poo (lol $15 an hour ain't nothing when you only get 18 to 28 hours a week anyway) and benefits are nonexistent obviously since it's a megacorp and thus gives no shits about anyone below C level, but my cardio is insane now so it's working out basically how I expected it to.

not a bad idea if you’re young or mildly out of shape, but they are essentially paying you a pittance on the wear and tear of your body in the long term

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I had a brilliant idea.

So you know how every time a major company announces huge job cuts the stock market gets a massive boner and the share price skyrockets? Even though it actually costs more to do that then not to?

What if you just announced huge job cuts. Bring people into a meeting room. "Hello, you're fired, also you're hired, don't worry about it." Send them home for the day and have them come back as normal tomorrow.

Hell, pay everyone a bonus to have the costs increase for a quarter like they do every time a company fires a lot of people.

If shareholders ask why the costs have remained high next quarter just tell them you increased executive for doing such a good job firing people. Get high fives.

Everyone wins. You could even pay yourself a modest non-exploitative bonus out of it. And your company will be in a better competitive position relative to others because you didn't actually fire people you need to be profitable like other dumbass CEOs. Get stock price jump for higher than expected earnings, announce another round of job cuts, repeat until communist utopia is achieved.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I had a brilliant idea.

So you know how every time a major company announces huge job cuts the stock market gets a massive boner and the share price skyrockets? Even though it actually costs more to do that then not to?

What if you just announced huge job cuts. Bring people into a meeting room. "Hello, you're fired, also you're hired, don't worry about it." Send them home for the day and have them come back as normal tomorrow.

Hell, pay everyone a bonus to have the costs increase for a quarter like they do every time a company fires a lot of people.

If shareholders ask why the costs have remained high next quarter just tell them you increased executive for doing such a good job firing people. Get high fives.

Everyone wins. You could even pay yourself a modest non-exploitative bonus out of it. And your company will be in a better competitive position relative to others because you didn't actually fire people you need to be profitable like other dumbass CEOs. Get stock price jump for higher than expected earnings, announce another round of job cuts, repeat until communist utopia is achieved.

this would be considered lying to the shareholders and is illegal. :v:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hey guys I've got this great idea for making heaps of money its called fraud

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean to be fair I would not be surprised that fraud is a major part of many if not most current large corporations income.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The museum where my wife works has a lot of people that have worked there for over 20 years, and had pay raises massively behind cost of living. Now a few of the more technically minded/experienced staff are retiring, they've had to put up the salary offers to attract new people, but haven't offered equivalent raises to existing staff.

This has made the mostly boomers who work there start planning for strike action.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Spuckuk posted:

The museum where my wife works has a lot of people that have worked there for over 20 years, and had pay raises massively behind cost of living. Now a few of the more technically minded/experienced staff are retiring, they've had to put up the salary offers to attract new people, but haven't offered equivalent raises to existing staff.

This has made the mostly boomers who work there start planning for strike action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Spuckuk posted:

Are they in or forming a union?