Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Teh Madd Hatter posted:

Does anyone here have a resource or recommendations for fantasy books that are written by non-westerners or have been translated to English? Specifically, my book group was wanting to read more things that have been translateds to English/are from a non-Euro/American perspective. Zafon was the only author that came to mind for translated works but doesn't quite fit the non-euro category.

There is the wuxia genre, if that suits you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finished Julie E Czerneda's Survival, first book of her Species Imperative trilogy last night and holy moly this book is so much fun. It's about a salmon researcher in an utopian future earth who spends at least half the book not wanting to get dragged into the sci-fi thriller taking place around her, because salmon! She wants to stay on earth and study fish! This is written to be (thankfully) hilarious instead of frustrating, and I was genuinely saddened when we left the salmon behind to get into alien business...but my sadness lifted quickly because it turned into a very Cherryh-esque "adapt to the aliens via understanding and suffering" sequence, capped with our poor salmon researcher being trapped on a starship full of aliens who don't understand that humans need water to survive.

The book ended after a rollercoaster of events and emotions, and it was a clear pause point, and I'm very hungry for the next book in the sequence. Naturally I have 1 and 3, not 2, so I'm going to have to be patient...

God it feels so good to be reading really indulgent, fun books. 1632, Survival - I've been reading a lot of downers lately and this is a very welcome change of pace. Not that Survival is precisely upbeat and jaunty, but it's just... good. It's about future humans coexisting peacefully with aliens and trying to solve a big mystery and I loved it a lot.

It's a good series, but a lot of book 2 takes place in a cabin away from the action so it's a little weird.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Teh Madd Hatter posted:

Does anyone here have a resource or recommendations for fantasy books that are written by non-westerners or have been translated to English? Specifically, my book group was wanting to read more things that have been translateds to English/are from a non-Euro/American perspective. Zafon was the only author that came to mind for translated works but doesn't quite fit the non-euro category.

It’s more short stories than novels (though they also do chapter samples) but Clarkesworld Magazine likes to feature translated fiction. You could start on their website for inspiration.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

StonecutterJoe posted:

And it was a really bad movie.

I liked it, in a bad, B-movie way

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

GreyjoyBastard posted:

everything in the Witcher series

can't remember what language Stanislaw Lem wrote in

Poland is in Europe

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Teh Madd Hatter posted:

Sergei Lukianeno wrote a great series of fantasy/horror/whatever books that I really enjoyed (English translation is very good) Originals are in Russian of course

Night Watch
Day Watch
Twilight Watch
Last Watch
New Watch
Sixth Watch

And just realized there are two more in the series I haven't read before

There are also two movis based on the books by Timur Mekmambetov (Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter director)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Teh Madd Hatter posted:

Amos Tutuola, "my life in the bush of ghosts" and "the palm wine drunkard".

Alternatively Jin Yong is getting translated again and the first third of Condor heroes is out (I think the title is something like "a hero born"?)

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Lot of people don't know what non-westerners are.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ben Nevis posted:

Lot of people don't know what non-westerners are.

:eng101:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So Zafon would count if he took a vacation in the Pyrenees.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Teh Madd Hatter posted:

Not a recommendation, as I haven't read it, but some of my friends enjoyed The Last Ringbearer, a retelling of LoTR as told from Sauron's point of view. English and German translations: https://ymarkov.livejournal.com/280578.html

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

adary posted:

Sergei Lukianeno wrote a great series of fantasy/horror/whatever books that I really enjoyed (English translation is very good) Originals are in Russian of course

Night Watch
Day Watch
Twilight Watch
Last Watch
New Watch
Sixth Watch

And just realized there are two more in the series I haven't read before

That series became rather repetitive after the first book as I recall.
It was basically a novella version of WoD.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

And all the revelations are really predictable and boring. Say what you will about WoD, but it used to have style.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Cardiac posted:

That series became rather repetitive after the first book as I recall.

Guess I got a poo poo taste in books :) I loved the first four books

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I was bummed because it appears finding physical versions of many of the Zothique stories is rather difficult but behold! Like all of Clark Ashton Smith's stories are available online. Guess they're in the public domain?

Wonder if there will ever been enough interest to reprint Zothique the Ballantine collection :/

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

I was bummed because it appears finding physical versions of many of the Zothique stories is rather difficult but behold! Like all of Clark Ashton Smith's stories are available online. Guess they're in the public domain?

Wonder if there will ever been enough interest to reprint Zothique the Ballantine collection :/

I bought mine on Amazon.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

my bony fealty posted:

There was a Fantasy Masterworks imprint entitled Emperor of Dreams which collected all of Smith's stuff. I bought mine about a decade ago so I dunno if it's still around

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ringu0 posted:

Not a recommendation, as I haven't read it, but some of my friends enjoyed The Last Ringbearer, a retelling of LoTR as told from Sauron's point of view. English and German translations: https://ymarkov.livejournal.com/280578.html

That is not an accurate description. The basic idea is that LOTR is a mythologized and whitewashed account, Mordor was an industrializing kingdom of mortals (Orcs and trolls being races of Men), Sauron was a mortal king (last of his name and line), etc.

The novel happens after the defeat and near-genocide of Mordor, and Sauron is not in it at all, being dead before it begins.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, if you want "LOTR from Sauron's perspective" you want The Sundering by Jacqueline Carey. TLR is something considerably different.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Neurosis posted:

There was a Fantasy Masterworks imprint entitled Emperor of Dreams which collected all of Smith's stuff. I bought mine about a decade ago so I dunno if it's still around

Cool, I'll see if I can find that. Looks like there's a documentary by the same name about CAS too, neat.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Groke posted:

That is not an accurate description. The basic idea is that LOTR is a mythologized and whitewashed account, Mordor was an industrializing kingdom of mortals (Orcs and trolls being races of Men), Sauron was a mortal king (last of his name and line), etc.

The novel happens after the defeat and near-genocide of Mordor, and Sauron is not in it at all, being dead before it begins.

As I said I haven't read it. Thank you for clarification!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

adary posted:

Guess I got a poo poo taste in books :) I loved the first four books

We all have poo poo taste in books, it is only few of us that are actually honest about it.
As example, there are too many people in this thread that have read entirely too much of Weber.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Recently read and finished a posthumous biography by/about Harry Harrison the sci-fi writer.
Was able to finish the Harry Harrison biography in one sitting because the other book I've been trying to read is totally insane. I've been stuck at the following quoted-text for 2 days now, just read it yourself and marvel at the wording and sentence construction in it.

quote:

The basic characteristic of any amplifier (mechanical, electrical, or economic) is that it receives an input control signal and delivers energy from an independent energy source to a specified output terminal in a predictable relationship to that input control signal. 

The simplest form of economic amplifier is a device called advertising.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Cardiac posted:

We all have poo poo taste in books, it is only few of us that are actually honest about it.
As example, there are too many people in this thread that have read entirely too much of Weber.

Well, reading too much Weber isn't exactly difficult.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ringu0 posted:

As I said I haven't read it. Thank you for clarification!

Nbd. I recall it as an enjoyable work worth reading, you have to bear in mind that as I said it treats LOTR as mythology with a weak basis in reality.

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008

fritz posted:

Amos Tutuola, "my life in the bush of ghosts" and "the palm wine drunkard".

Alternatively Jin Yong is getting translated again and the first third of Condor heroes is out (I think the title is something like "a hero born"?)

Thanks to all for the help here, I think I'm going to look more at Tutuola and the wuxia options as they should grab some interest! I've actually been reading A Hero Born as an ARC and enjoying it so far but we usually have to try and avoid hard covers.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Halfway through 'Black Leopard Red Wolf' by Marlon James and loving it. Ymmv but it has all the things I want in a fantasy novel: an unreliable narrator, a fantasy world that doesn't draw on a European tradition, a narrator that loves the sound of his own voice, and gay stuff. A bunch of reviewers have characterized it as 'difficult' and ... maybe? I guess? It's not a straightforward narrative, but it's also not obtuse for-the-sake-of-it. Threads of trauma and pain weave their way through the narrative, and there's a lot of violence so a content warning is probably justified; I'm gonna quote the NPR and LA Review of Books discussions rather than try and summarize it:

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/08/692415906/black-leopard-red-wolf-is-a-beast-of-a-book

quote:

I understand where those comparisons [to LotR and AGoT] come from, the publicity strategies that underly them, but they are wildly inaccurate to the experience of reading this book, which is more like if Toni Morrison had written Ovid's Metamorphoses: Painful and strange, full of bodies shifting from personhood into meat, and somehow, always, still, upsettingly beautiful. This isn't Tolkien's grief-stricken melancholy, or Martin's calculating, character-forward plot mechanics; it's horror and tragedy by way of fantasy, nothing discrete, everything penetrating everything else.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/but-that-is-not-the-story-on-marlon-jamess-black-leopard-red-wolf/

quote:

It would be tempting to read Tracker’s series of stories-that-are-not-the-story as false starts, as Tracker’s failed attempts to tell a tale he cannot quite articulate for its size or complexity, an example of the failure of words to represent an external reality. Certainly, Black Leopard, Red Wolf is large and complex, but Tracker has already aptly narrated the events he now only summarizes over the course of the previous 586 pages. The complexity of the story so told over these pages derives precisely from Tracker’s skill as a storyteller, from his facility with story and his ability to weave together manifold, fragmented, nested, and achronological narrative threads into a single tale, even if this tale never finally coheres into a moral lesson or final meaning. He may very well have told the story in a less complex fashion, but then it would not have been the story, just as these summaries are not the story. Tracker’s summaries only reveal what the reader already knows, what he has already told. They are not the story because they summarize what cannot be summarized, because they abstract what cannot be abstracted, because they reduce what cannot be reduced, because they edit and reorder what cannot be edited or reordered: story itself, which in Black Leopard, Red Wolf is both the sum total of the world and the impossibility of that world’s coherence.

The author won the Man Booker prize a few years ago, so a pivot into 'genre' fiction is, I guess, sort of a scandal (or whatever passes for one in literary circles)? Def recommended.

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 12, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

it's really really good. I read a few months ago and think about it a lot. I posted right after reading that I wasn't sure if I loved it but I do now. One of the most unique fantasy books I've read for sure.

the next in the trilogy is going to be the same story told from Sogolon's perspective and I cannot loving wait.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Recently read and finished a posthumous biography by/about Harry Harrison the sci-fi writer.
Was able to finish the Harry Harrison biography in one sitting because the other book I've been trying to read is totally insane. I've been stuck at the following quoted-text for 2 days now, just read it yourself and marvel at the wording and sentence construction in it.

Are you reading the original document or the book?

And why?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Lol at that quote but also ick at the first sentence purely from a clear writing perspective. The human brain isn't good at putting together too many ideas in a single sentence.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, if you want "LOTR from Sauron's perspective" you want The Sundering by Jacqueline Carey. TLR is something considerably different.

i have complicated but generally positive feelings about every Jacqueline Carey novel I have read

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

fashionly snort posted:

The author won the Man Booker prize a few years ago, so a pivot into 'genre' fiction is, I guess, sort of a scandal (or whatever passes for one in literary circles)? Def recommended.

His work has always been genre though. John Crow's Devil is full blooded splattery horror novel. A Brief History of Seven Killings - which nabbed the booker - is a gangster thriller.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 12, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm trying to remember a (probably) short story I read, and I think it's fairly recent.

There's some kind of CERN-esque physics research station and they learn Something which causes half of them to commit suicide upon learning it. PoV character is an outsider sent in to deal with whatever it is that happened.

I want to say that what they learned is that the universe is a simulation, but I'm not 100% on that.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

You're not thinking of The Three Body Problem, are you?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Sounds similar to a Ted Chiang story thats in his anthology Story of your life and others which I can't remember the name of.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I'm trying to remember a (probably) short story I read, and I think it's fairly recent.

There's some kind of CERN-esque physics research station and they learn Something which causes half of them to commit suicide upon learning it. PoV character is an outsider sent in to deal with whatever it is that happened.

I want to say that what they learned is that the universe is a simulation, but I'm not 100% on that.

That is the plot to a Doctor Who from a few seasons ago. But it's definitely a written story you're thinking of?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It sounds like a more explicitly horrific “What Did Tessimonde Tell You?”

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Carrier posted:

Sounds similar to a Ted Chiang story thats in his anthology Story of your life and others which I can't remember the name of.

I keep thinking of the 99 names of god, which is similar thematically to 72 letters but not by him.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 12, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sibling of TB posted:

That is the plot to a Doctor Who from a few seasons ago. But it's definitely a written story you're thinking of?

gently caress, it was this. Sorry everyone!

General Battuta posted:

It sounds like a more explicitly horrific “What Did Tessimonde Tell You?”

Dug this up (no E) and it's pretty good and haunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Amniotic posted:

Are you reading the original document or the book?

And why?

Read/powerskimmed a bunch of books recently about the alt-right and other books about belief in conspiracy theories making a overwhelming return in modern social media.
Behold A Pale Horse was the apparently the ur-deep state conspiracy theory book prior to the internet making most of the world globally connected/rise of facebook and twitter. So I decided to powerskim BaPH, with certain expectations for the amounts of crazy + bizarre claims inside BaPH, because I didn't think it would be that bad. Turns out I was wrong, and underestimated the claims + insanity + clunkiness of the writing. BaPH suffers from disjointed leaps in logic, utter belief that economic theory can be translated into/out of mathematics theory or/and electronics theory perfectly and lose nothing, as well as extremely dated terminology/references.

4 week old off-topic thread necromancy but gently caress it

fordan posted:

Hmm, yes. I'm sure fans of military sci-fi will be flocking to a "Schrodinger's WarCriminal" thread.

Turns out, YES. Fans of military sci-fi will flock to a "Schrodinger's WarCriminal" thread.
Discussions of terrible authors, worse writing, and literary WarCrimes (pun intended) the likes of which even reddit fears to discuss.
Anyone is welcome to post in there, even if its drive-by-trolling.