Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tesseraction posted:

I mean, he could at least tell them they're bloody related.

I choose Byrne Faraday, although I haven't *quite* finished AAI1 yet so I'm preparing to be severely owned by this declaration.

For those curious I'm still on case 5, I just found the rotating wall in the fireplace.

Hey the question was best parent, not perfect parent. In a series with some pretty darn terrible parents, Phoenix ranks pretty high.

Actually I'll change my answer to the Kitaki Clan. They get out of the crime business just so they have enough "clean" money to pay a very expensive doctor to get their son life-saving surgery. That makes you a good parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Hey the question was best parent, not perfect parent. In a series with some pretty darn terrible parents, Phoenix ranks pretty high.

Actually I'll change my answer to the Kitaki Clan. They get out of the crime business just so they have enough "clean" money to pay a very expensive doctor to get their son life-saving surgery. That makes you a good parent.

Papa Kitaki was great. Also lol at the reveal about his "sunglasses" at the end.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Tesseraction posted:

Papa Kitaki was great. Also lol at the reveal about his "sunglasses" at the end.

They were his eyebrows :3:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I picked up Spirit of Justice for iOS yesterday, and it looks amazing—as good as DD did.

Except...something seems to be wrong with the music. Anytime there’s a track change, it just goes silent. There’s still the text noises, but otherwise no BGM.

Turns out a big part of my enjoyment of these games is the music. Anybody had this problem before and know how to fix it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That definitely sounds like a bug. I doubt reporting it will do anything for you but try asking the iOS help thread about app bugs they might have something you can do (maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the app?)

In personal news, I always forget how long final cases can be, so in AAI I have found the true identity of the first Yatagarasu and am now trying to (hahahaha) prove Franziska innocent.

I think it's been pretty heavily telegraphed now that Alba did it given how reticent he was to let you investigate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Based on my memory of the case you have approximately 600 more hours to go

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, the sheer number of loose ends makes me feel I'm in for a long one. That's fine and all but I did get a bit sour that this loving meme resurfaces:

"There's no way things could cross between the embassies"

Present: photo of Yatagarasu crossing between the embassies

"What? What does that have to do with anything? We're talking about crossing between the embassies."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

An update that I've not gotten much further because Jesus Christ Alba is tedious. "AHA, but you haven't yet shown which cornflakes I ate for breakfast, so you can't arrest me for the murder!" over and over and over again

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Get a walkthrough and just power your way through it. It's not worthwhile.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest it's the lack of a skip-dialogue button that does it. Oh boy! Wendy Oldbag's back! That'll be 60% extra dialogue for the rest of this segment.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Remember when Oldbag was actually pretty funny when she was just in one case? Remember how they then repeated the same joke 10 times?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Especially when in the first game you get the joy of getting her arrested and have her later whine about being forced to walk around in the Steel Samurai suit which she found humiliating, now you just have to let her amble around being really loving annoying with no repercussions.

At least Larry getting severely owned over his chimney escapades is hilarious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Investigations games show why maybe refreshing the main cast a bit and leaving most old characters to single appearances was a good idea.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
God Alba loving sucks.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

my condolences but yeah investigations 1 was perhaps the only time "how did they succeed in making the end of an AA game boring, jfc"

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Merilan posted:

my condolences but yeah investigations 1 was perhaps the only time "how did they succeed in making the end of an AA game boring, jfc"

That's exactly how I felt about AA4; the end of AAI was great by comparison.

I do admit they struggle to pace case endings outside of the courtroom, though. I thought the final confrontation of AAI2 was a relatively weak point in an otherwise amazing game, for example.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

God Alba loving sucks.

This is your life now

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty weird booting up AAI2 to find that it takes place basically the day after AAI finished.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They squeeze the entirety of the two games into the one month between the end of T&T and Phoenix's disbarment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drat, that's quite a squeeze.

Also have to love that between closing 1 and opening 2 I was like "I am so loving sick of Cohdopia and Zheng Fa now the game can finally give something ne------oooooooooooooooooo"

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

tbh I liked the MASON system in AA4 if that's what you're referring to and I think that's in no small part because of the kind of creepy futuristic UI that really reminds me of something like Metal Gear Solid 2

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty weird booting up AAI2 to find that it takes place basically the day after AAI finished.

I think this is just what Edgeworth's life is like.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I enjoy the fact that between the end of AA3, the Investigations games, and Phoenix’s disbarment that Edgeworth had a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Month.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 13, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

hopeandjoy posted:

I enjoy the fact that between the end of AA3, the Investigations games, and Phoenix’s disbarment that Edgeworth had a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Month.

"You see Phoenix, I'm so much better than you that I got disbarred faster than you!!! Like a month before, even!!!"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

I think this is just what Edgeworth's life is like.

Also I want to know what world they're in where Kay can say "it's been a while" for Edgeworth to then monologue "two weeks ago we met in unfortunate circumstances."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Also I want to know what world they're in where Kay can say "it's been a while" for Edgeworth to then monologue "two weeks ago we met in unfortunate circumstances."

A world where two weeks in their time flows as fast as 3 years in our time but somehow nobody ages

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Holy poo poo this first case is so much better than AAI1

De Killer intervening to continue the investigation despite what we'd expect him to do is a better twist than anything in AA1

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Gotta love how Edgeworth doesn't recognize the highly visible pink seashell emblem on his shirt tho

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm replaying Apollo Justice. I'm pretty sure there's a pun with the name Misham, but I can't figure it out and it's annoying me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Saoshyant posted:

I'm replaying Apollo Justice. I'm pretty sure there's a pun with the name Misham, but I can't figure it out and it's annoying me.

Misham = My sham

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Tesseraction posted:

Holy poo poo this first case is so much better than AAI1

De Killer intervening to continue the investigation despite what we'd expect him to do is a better twist than anything in AA1

De Killer emoting via his ice cream cone is one of my favorite anythings from Ace Attorney hth

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Funky Valentine posted:

Misham = My sham

Drew my sham, it was right there. Thanks

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AAI2 chapter 1: As I said before, this was way more interesting than what happened in AAI1, although I felt that Rooke gave up a little too easy. lol at the president deflating into a haggard fat guy.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Whatever issue was present with the music in SoJ resolved itself with a fresh install. Just beat case 2, which I thought was fantastic.

I'm eventually going to run out of games, though, which sucks. Is the Great Ace Attorney game that got released in Japan only worth playing? I don't really want to go through all the trouble of setting up a Google Play store account in Japan if it's not that good.

But if it's at least as good as, say...Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (which I thought was FINE, but not as good as the other 3 games I've played in the series) I'd be delighted to play it.

...and honestly I think I would've been FINE with AJ:AA if not for having to watch that stupid Guitar Serenade music video a billion times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've not done Great Ace Attorney yet (that's my next one after AAI2) but posters in this thread seem to think they're the best games of all.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Great Attorney was grest, just remember that it's the first half of a story.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
DGS was way better than AA4 imo, and I *like* AA4, even the concert case.

The cast of DGS is pretty adorable, it has a bunch of new mechanics so it's a breath of fresh air, and almost all of the cases seem to tie up into the plot... that is definitely not over as of DGS, so you might want to wait until DGS 2 if that isn't to your liking.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ugh, I see the contradiction, but I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to do in the vision.

SoJ, case 3: The high priest clearly did a 180 while he had the scroll in front of his eyes. He is facing the broken lantern at the start of the vision, but the springside lantern at the end. Meaning Maya’s original position was where she was supposed to be, and the killer was standing in the fountain.

But I’ve tried selecting the broken lantern while the vision is saying anything about lanterns, and no luck.

What gives?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I forget what it is, but there’s something else you have to point out first, which will unlock a new seance mechanism. I googled it which led me to an IGN guide that breaks every case into like 20 pages for what I assume is ad purposes, but incidentally makes it really good for avoiding spoilers, so I’d try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I started playing Great Turnabout. Case 1 was certainly a case :tviv:. On to case 2, where Sherlock is absolutely having a laugh by messing with the kids.

Little question about the epoch, would the imperial police be related to the Shinsengumi?