Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

doogle posted:

Ever since I lowered my SS, the magnetic ride control didn't like thinking it was constantly under compression and as a result was super stiff. I brought it to the dealership so they could calibrate the ride height trim but the service manager said he won't let his dudes do anything since the car has modifications. I then headed to my normal alignment shop to see if they could do it, but they hadn't updated their Snapon Solus since 2016 and the Solus needs the 16.4 update or newer to do the calibration.

I gave up and just bought a VXDIAG on ebay for $100 which lets me use GM's GDS2. Like three mouse clicks later I calibrated the ride height trim and the suspension feels slightly stiffer than stock, but half as stiff as it was prior to calibration.

Is there a list of what you can change with that? I'm curious what settings are modifyable for my Sierra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Have had problems with an unbalanced tire ever since I got a flat. The original garage claimed that they had fully inspected it and couldn't find any fault at all and had the cleaned the tire sealant goo and replaced the tire. Went to a better shop who balanced all the tiresl, but said that if it doesn't work it could be something moving around but we should trust that the other garage (Well known chain of garages) did the job properly. Had my car aligned as well as it probably never has been. Well the problem persisted and I swapped the wheel diagonally on the car to reaffirm that it is indeed the tire.

Well..... finally had the time to get the tire looked at again. I'm in the waiting room and after some time the guy comes out with my tire. It's filled with brownish sludge/water and I'm like "what the hell am I looking at", thinking that he had put some water in it to easier show some damage or something. Wrong. It was the remnants of the tire sealer and god knows what else mixed with water... and when he then cleaned the inner tire from it there was a clear as gently caress nail in the tire. I didn't see it (I didn't really check though as I trusted the other place) either, and must have been pushed pretty far into the tire.
I'm pretty sure the other tire place either lied and didn't look at it all, or just sprayed water in there while looking and did a poor job inspecting it. Thankfully I didn't pay for it then but this has been loving annoying to deal with.

New tire place also informed me that ordinarily all tires that have been injected with the emergency sealant are discarded and have to be replaced with new ones because of the hazardous nature of the goo. There is no way to properly dispose it. He was nice to do it in my case though as it was such a weird one. Didn't even charge me full price since it was all such a faff. The disposal thing applies to Sweden, so doubt it's something for you Americans to worry about. But it's worth looking up before using the sealant.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Dagen H posted:

Don't you love it when capable professionals won't do a simple job? Are they allergic to money?

Hell hath no fury like a liability lawsuit and the horse she rode in on, the American consumer.

You'd be an idiot to touch a car modified like that in a professional capacity, I am not liable for "xxx" do not hold up in court. Ask me how I know.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

New tire place also informed me that ordinarily all tires that have been injected with the emergency sealant are discarded and have to be replaced with new ones because of the hazardous nature of the goo. There is no way to properly dispose it. He was nice to do it in my case though as it was such a weird one. Didn't even charge me full price since it was all such a faff. The disposal thing applies to Sweden, so doubt it's something for you Americans to worry about. But it's worth looking up before using the sealant.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not 100% certain, but I always understood this to be an issue with removing it - i.e., it's impossible - not that it's particularly hazardous. (It might be, but the bigger issue has always been explained to me as "you're not getting it off without throwing away the tire & valve stem".)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What do we mean by discarded?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, genuinely, but what else would that word mean?

get rid of (someone or something) as no longer useful or desirable.

My understanding is that the emergency sealant is intended to allow a car without a spare to get to a tire shop, to buy a new tire, and that's it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Guess I should have been more clear.

You said hazardous.

When I ask discarded, I meant does this somehow make it destined for the landfill or is it still recyclable.

Edit: nevermind, was reading that the "goo" was somehow hazardous. :v: Never know in today's age. Now laughing at myself.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Finally got my distributor rebuilt and I'm back on the road again, and once again, the FSM's instructions have proven vague and unhelpful. I had to figure out which lead went to which cylinder by trial and error

I did also getting a good shock from the distributor when I forgot to turn off the car when I did a once over on all of the connections after the final/successful attempt

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

Finally got my distributor rebuilt and I'm back on the road again, and once again, the FSM's instructions have proven vague and unhelpful. I had to figure out which lead went to which cylinder by trial and error

I did also getting a good shock from the distributor when I forgot to turn off the car when I did a once over on all of the connections after the final/successful attempt

Figuring out which wire = which cylinder is always so fun. I managed to get the cat glowing almost white on my 88 Accord... and that was just a 4 cylinder. (this was before smart phones were a thing, so I couldn't just look it up... I was trying to get it running after a theft recovery)

I've also gotten the zap more than I'd like to admit. :mad:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Buddy brought over his 300 SRT8, and we put new cooling fans on it. On his ride home, it still got hot. Gonna have to check the thermostat and water pump next.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Krakkles posted:

I'll be the first to admit I'm not 100% certain, but I always understood this to be an issue with removing it - i.e., it's impossible - not that it's particularly hazardous. (It might be, but the bigger issue has always been explained to me as "you're not getting it off without throwing away the tire & valve stem".)

It seemed pretty easy to get off, but as I understood it there are no approved way for the shop to properly do away with the cleaned off emergency sealant, and/or the sealant itself is hazardous to handle when cleaning, which means that the whole tire has to be discarded instead of removed, cleaned and repaired. I guess he took pity on me and did it anyway though, which was nice of him.

At least that's what I gathered from what he told me.

doogle
May 24, 2003

My wife's Civic had the engine undertray fall down after an oil change, which she then hit some roadkill with. I'm guessing they didn't turn the access panel locks all the way after the oil change. Anyway, I got to replace the undertray on her Civic today. Honda doesn't sell just the one piece, you have to buy the whole thing. Her's was mangled enough to need the whole piece anyway, though.

Old and busted.

New.

This bolt was a motherfucker to get out, and I wasn't able to put the new bolt in its place as it bent the bolthole out of alignment with the undertray

My wife drove my SS to work. I can sit in the backseat with a normal sized human driving it and have 3"+ of leg room (I'm 6'1") before my knee hits the seat, I had feet of legroom with how far forward the seat was.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Don't mind me asking, what did that send you back for? That looks fairly elaborate.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I bought the undertray on ebay for ~$110. The dealer markup on the undertray was pretty high, they wanted over $200 for the part plus an hour of labor to replace it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I tried to remove the clutch assist spring in my new (to me) GTI but eventually I realized that the previous owner had already done it. :eng99:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bought some Brembo discs for my Swift because they were 50% off and it's funny to post a picture of Brembo boxes for a lovely car.

...but they don't fit. The site says they do but they do not. Now I have to go waste time taking them back. Dickheads.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stepped up from 600lb/in to 700lb/in springs in the rear of the S2000

Todays project will be building splitter mounts that aren't al dente noodle weak

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Louvers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Spent the weekend on the beach and had my car fully loaded. First time I've had the board and my bike on the roof at the same time and it did well, no issues on the interstate.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Spent the weekend on the beach and had my car fully loaded. First time I've had the board and my bike on the roof at the same time and it did well, no issues on the interstate.

I know you've had the Xb for a couple years now, any issues with oil consumption? My wife had a tC with the same engine and I was throwing in a quart or so every few weeks toward the end. There was a TSB involving piston replacement, I think.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Oh hell yeah

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

I know you've had the Xb for a couple years now, any issues with oil consumption? My wife had a tC with the same engine and I was throwing in a quart or so every few weeks toward the end. There was a TSB involving piston replacement, I think.

They solved that issue after 2010, mine is a 2012.

It does burn a little bit if I'm on the interstate a lot (higher rpm's), but it's well within an acceptable amount.

But yeah I did my research, 2011 or later for cars with that engine which includes the camry as well.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Aaaand the horrors of the rear bulkhead unveil!

Let's remember where we are picking up

The car had a rear accident that appears to have been badly repaired, but at first it seemed the damage was limited to the right quarter of the rear bulkhead.

Well...

It turns out that the rear bulkhead was actually replaced. But to go with the theme, the replacement was absolutely poo poo in execution.

There was no weld priming done whatsoever and the entire spot weld edge had to be redone, so the rear bulkhead must go.

As we are approaching the end of my metal art and fabrication skills, my dad (a body shop expert and chassis rebuilder for over a quarter century) took over the intricate metal rebuild tasks.

The panel is out

Damage due to the poo poo repair

Removing the remaining glue with a blow torch

The spare wheel pan looks goofy. The tar pad came off in pieces. It appears some damage happened.

A very thick layer of glue covered something here.

:stonk:
what the gently caress

It appears the repair shop ended up pulling a hole into the pan and........ Riveted another panel below it? :itwaspoo:

I have not seen such fuckery in a long time. But it doesn't matter. Everything must be repaired and so we continue.

Hammering the pan into shape. At this point we removed so much rust thr cars insides had a brown dust coting :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACZqYmP98r0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX-YxYn67rg

The pan is just hammered into shape to make a cardboard model of the rear pan and replace everything up to 10cm above the punctured section. This will be interesting.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 10, 2019

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Jesus christ man, thats some shoddy work by them and some amazing work from you and your dad. So much effort going into a diesel Nissan hatchback, though :unsmigghh:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Installed a PLM downpipe on the Si.

This unit:

Looks stock from above since it uses the factory heat shield mounting tabs

But a quick peek down reveals the truth

Reflashed the KTuner to eliminate the possible P0420 light resulting from the catlessness, and finally mounted the unit itself in an appropriate place instead of just laying it in the center console

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Yes please.

There are a set of original Chastain's for my 1981 Datsun 510 online, but I can't quite bring myself to drop $500 on them for a car I bought for $350.....yet.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

:getin:

E: we leave it at the rough cut for today. Adapting this to the proper geometry of the rear pan and matching the factory weld seam should take a few more hours at this point.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 10, 2019

doogle
May 24, 2003

Got this in the mail...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:(

stevewm
May 10, 2005

drat, what happened?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

stevewm posted:

drat, what happened?

Well obviously the front fell off.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Adiabatic posted:

Well obviously the front fell off.

That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dagen H posted:

That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

<laughs in 90's Hyundai>

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Grakkus posted:

Jesus christ man, thats some shoddy work by them and some amazing work from you and your dad. So much effort going into a diesel Nissan hatchback, though :unsmigghh:

Agreed, and I've got to say it's so very satisfying to see things put right. I hate rust and crappy work.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Went on a maiden voyage.

https://i.imgur.com/q9NusxS.gifv

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Awesome! Any issues, other than the to-be-expected hiccup or two?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dagen H posted:

Awesome! Any issues, other than the to-be-expected hiccup or two?

It needs a little tuning, with the single plane high rise, it's really struggling at low rpm. It definitely needs a smaller steering wheel, and need to see about adjusting the shocks (they're originals). When you give it a little grunt, the front end is really floaty, it wants to dart around. Need to see how much a real alignment will help it, plus a little more dampening to help with bounce.

Other than that, just need to finalize the wiring (it's just temporary now, I need to relocate the battery under the backseat) and put the interior in it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I need to stop trusting factory service manuals. I drat near took a sawzall to a power steering line because my 18mm flare nut wrench specified to be used by Honda's FSM, "couldn't get clearance". Turns out it's a 19mm nut and I spent an hour taking off everything around it for no reason

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

stevewm posted:

drat, what happened?

Drunk driver ran a red light and killed my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

Drunk driver ran a red light and killed my car.

That sucks man, but at least he didn’t kill you.