Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Because it was his own base, the Praetorium counted as a sanctuary for Gaius and he was able to apply a Glamour Plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I wonder how much he spent on all that metallic gold dye.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ironslave posted:

I wonder how much he spent on all that metallic gold dye.

None, he just told the marketboard that it was his by right of might and conquered it like the fascist he is.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Having an unlimited supply of metallic dye provided by Garlean taxpayers is a perk of being in the top 5 of the middle name hierarchy.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Holy poo poo I just spent soo much time unlocking things post first MSQ. And the new MSQ feels like a grind. :)

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Decided on a whim today to pick up my bard for grinding FATEs, which I hadn’t touched since getting to 70.

Friendship ended with RDM, now BRD is my best friend.

I don’t know why, but everything seemed to click for me. I just love the gameplay loop of the different songs and priorities for your abilities. Having zero cast time is awesome too. Is there anything any of you more experienced BRDs can tell me?

Also, how do I post pictures here? I tried to join the bandwagon the other day and it didn’t work, and besides that everyone needs to see the glory that is the old BRD PvP gear.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

help

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of drops, I got a 5* Gaius card from the MSQ Roulette. Never gotten it before despite doing the MSQ Roulette like a zillion times. Was it only added recently?
Nope, it's just a rare drop, you can also get it from the indolent imperial.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Let's do this, buddy :black101:

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 12, 2019

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
There, main story completed for Shadowbringers. Some thoughts on it all:

It's obvious that G'raha is meant to serve as a foil to Emet-Selch. He behaves in an almost identical way to the Ascians, growing his own group of people and using half-truths to maintain his overall plan. And in a way, his actions could be viewed with similar disdain, depending on how XIV decides to tackle time travel. If it's separate branches then no big deal, but if it's all continuous then he's effectively erased a whole generation of people who were recovering from an (admittedly) horrible calamity. If you added another few thousand years to G'raha's life I imagine he'd be even more similar. He was already willing to sacrifice everything in order to save the WoL and fix history.

Also, it seemed really lovely for Minfilia to keep Ardbert in the dark for a century because (?) she saw the future and knew he'd eventually reunite with you. Presumably that was more Hydaelyn than Minfilia at that point, though with what Emet said I wonder what the effects of Zodiark's tempering might be. We've seen that tempering can vary drastically among the various primals and it's probably fair to say that Zodiark's tempering is kind of what makes Ascians full on hungry for everything dark.

This also makes some of our earlier interactions with Hydaelyn a bit suspect, because she says that Zodiark was banished as a result of him coveting power. At the very least she's not exactly forthcoming with what really went down.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

extremely cursed image :catstare:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kerrzhe posted:

extremely cursed image :stare:

ftfy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lol

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

im proud to have been a part of this

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

FZeroRacer posted:

It's obvious that G'raha is meant to serve as a foil to Emet-Selch. He behaves in an almost identical way to the Ascians, growing his own group of people and using half-truths to maintain his overall plan. And in a way, his actions could be viewed with similar disdain, depending on how XIV decides to tackle time travel. If it's separate branches then no big deal, but if it's all continuous then he's effectively erased a whole generation of people who were recovering from an (admittedly) horrible calamity. If you added another few thousand years to G'raha's life I imagine he'd be even more similar. He was already willing to sacrifice everything in order to save the WoL and fix history.

Slight correction here - G'raha's world was done for when he left, they weren't recovering, they were basically gone. You'll learn more about it when you do the twinning dungeon

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

FZeroRacer posted:

<snip>

This also makes some of our earlier interactions with Hydaelyn a bit suspect, because she says that Zodiark was banished as a result of him coveting power. At the very least she's not exactly forthcoming with what really went down.

Continuing ShB ending spoiler.

The other angle may be that Hydaelyn is not operating on complete information either. Remember that she was summoned probably long after the First Doom (and I suspect some long time has pasted between the First Doom and the Sundering) so there maybe a lot of things happening before she was born. What she knows now might just be that what her summoners told her, or believed to be true.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The 80 caster AF gear is so cute

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You're gonna have to be more specific, dude.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The Black Mage set, sorry. I forgot it would be different by class, not role. It would have looked better when I was an Elezen but I look forward to making a glam with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There's only one good caster and it's BLM, hth

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I need to level a caster for the role quests and it's gonna be BLM, I think. As fun as RDM is, I miss the boner I get from watching huge numbers over and over.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Intoluene posted:

I need to level a caster for the role quests and it's gonna be BLM, I think. As fun as RDM is, I miss the boner I get from watching huge numbers over and over.
You will like BLM much more overall. It takes a while to get going (42 to get good, 60 to get great) but once you're 60+ it's all fantastic. I don't get the sense that RDM came out great in ShB in terms of interesting new tools or anything.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

RDM is basically unchanged from Stormblood except for the AOE rotation existing being slightly more complex and them having an extra neutral finisher after verflare/holy. If you liked it before you'll probably enjoy it now, but it honestly feels slightly weak even if it probably actually isn't.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

I'm playing through the ARR main story quest and at what point does the voice work improve? I know it does because I had seen a few cutscenes from the expansions before I started playing and the quality was much better, but so far both the French and English dubs were so dire I switched to the JP voices for cutscenes

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

escape mechanism posted:

I'm playing through the ARR main story quest and at what point does the voice work improve? I know it does because I had seen a few cutscenes from the expansions before I started playing and the quality was much better, but so far both the French and English dubs were so dire I switched to the JP voices for cutscenes

They start using an English studio for Heavensward.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

escape mechanism posted:

The entire EN cast changes at the start of Heavensward

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

escape mechanism posted:

Then change the actors at the start of HW. So once the quest accept music changes, go to english VA.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Or just switch after the big cutscenes. You'll know the ones.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Taliesin Jaffe played Thancred in ARR. That's kind of cool. I immediately recognized his voice because he is just phoning it end. (One of the "Critical Role" d&d guys. He was in both the Pillars of Eternity games).

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Firstborn posted:

Taliesin Jaffe played Thancred in ARR. That's kind of cool. I immediately recognized his voice because he is just phoning it end. (One of the "Critical Role" d&d guys. He was in both the Pillars of Eternity games).

the VA direction in ARR is just plan bad. It's attrocious. It feels like they literally didn't have direction for a lot of it.

It gets a lot better in HW and SB and then, loving somehow, it got even *better* in ShB.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I mean the game was going tits up when ARR was developed. Haven't they talked about revising ARR content now that the game has been so successful?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tashilicious posted:

the VA direction in ARR is just plan bad. It's attrocious. It feels like they literally didn't have direction for a lot of it.

It gets a lot better in HW and SB and then, loving somehow, it got even *better* in ShB.

Devils Advocate: they had the voice actor for Bob Howard from the Laundry files audiobooks play Urianger in ARR.

I don't know who plays him in Heavensward, haven't started on that yet, but I'm going to miss his dulcet tones.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I miss Raubahn's old voice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

tithin posted:

Devils Advocate: they had the voice actor for Bob Howard from the Laundry files audiobooks play Urianger in ARR.

I don't know who plays him in Heavensward, haven't started on that yet, but I'm going to miss his dulcet tones.

Gideon Emery, he was also Balthier in FF12.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

I actually found Thancred one of the better voiced characters so far, along with Raubahn (sp?)'s scenery chewing.

But yeah it's clear the main issue is a lack of direction, there's so many occurrences of lines being read completely disconnected from what comes before or after them, with no sense of flow in the tone or the emotions of the characters.

I guess that's one more thing to look forward to in Heavensward

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I really like the idea of post-cap trusts, in general. My beef with the system is that they made the grind a little too steep.

Mathing it out, it takes about 6 runs to level your fate crew one level. At around 30 minutes per run, that would be 3 hours of work for each level....or about 30-ish ours to get them up to 80.

I feel like if they cut that in half (or maybe slightly more - like maybe 4 runs per level), it would be a much more engaging system in terms of effort/reward.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

I really like the idea of post-cap trusts, in general. My beef with the system is that they made the grind a little too steep.

Mathing it out, it takes about 6 runs to level your fate crew one level. At around 30 minutes per run, that would be 3 hours of work for each level....or about 30-ish ours to get them up to 80.

I feel like if they cut that in half (or maybe slightly more - like maybe 4 runs per level), it would be a much more engaging system in terms of effort/reward.

I think that the level of grind creates a functional disconnect in intentions. On the one hand the slow and steady leveling of your trusts seems meant to incentivize joining the DF queues, while on the other hand it demands that you invest time into doing more trusts if you want to ever be able to use them for more dungeons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's pretty tough to make a character on Excalibur.

RE; Voice Acting. I have no clue what anyone sounds like because I play on mute. My frantic button mashing to make minfillia shut-up does not leave much room for dialogue sounds though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the whole, Shadowbringers is maybe the best FF story ever written, but I do think it made one major misstep.

(gigantic MSQ spoilers)

I think bringing up the concept of tempering in the context of Zodiark and Hydaelyn was a mistake, because no matter what, it's either going to take a lot more explaining about what being tempered by them even means, or it undercuts some of the most interesting themes and characters in a really unfortunate way. Take Emet-Selch, for example. During Shadowbringers, we see how much the loss of his home pains him, how badly he wants his people back, and that he actually did make a good faith attempt to move on but just couldn't. While we still absolutely have to stop him, we can come to understand that he's motivated not by greed or just plain formless evil, but by pain and fear and loneliness.

But no, actually he's just tempered by Zodiark. Trying to move on was never going to work because that's not what Zodiark wants. He might think he's motivated by his pain and loneliness, but actually he's just motivated by being Zodiark's puppet.

Is that what the writers intended? I don't know. And it's not how I want to read Emet-Selch, either. I've noticed most discussion of him just avoids addressing what it means to be tempered by Zodiark in the first place, which is probably for the best, because as soon as you have to confront that he says Zodiark tempered him (and Emet-Selch never lies, remember), you have to start wondering what parts of Emet-Selch's actions were his own free will and what parts were just Zodiark tugging at the strings. And that kind of sucks.

Or maybe being tempered by Zodiark is different? Maybe it just gives him power, or maybe it just amplifies those negative feelings without actually taking away his free will? Something like that? But if that's the case (and if it's ever brought up), it might feel arbitrary.

Similarly, I think the story absolutely has to address whether Hydaelyn tempered her summoners, too. There are a lot of ways around this if they wanted to--maybe Hydaelyn, being so powerful, can choose whether or not to temper people, or maybe she did temper her summoners but that went away when they were sundered (unlike the unsundered Ascians), or something else--but I think it's going to have to be addressed directly at some point.

I'm not sure how big of an issue the above is, and maybe it was unavoidable. I do think it has some unfortunate consequences for some of the best parts of the story, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Excal is congested so even when players online drops, it will not unlock for character creation. For now if you want to play with goons, create a character on any other server on primal, chill in the discord and hop in some cross world linkshells. With world visit, you can even still chill at the houses.