Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the tl/dub here seems way better than fates. ofc they probably picked the best sounding lines and a few lines do seem a bit overly wordy but stuff like annette's second line is way more natural/goofy than basically anything that existed in fates

tbh might also be the original writing quality being better, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

the tl/dub here seems way better than fates. ofc they probably picked the best sounding lines and a few lines do seem a bit overly wordy but stuff like annette's second line is way more natural/goofy than basically anything that existed in fates

it having best sounding lines in the first place, is already an improvement over fates

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

annette's goofy cake song unironically sounds better than you are the ocean's gray waves

though incidentally one thing i do wanna comment on is everyone saying 'teach' 'teacher' etc makes it pretty clear you will be able to rename byleth, which tbh im mixed on. if you're going with a non-customizable protag id say just give them a non-flexible name so that you can work it into a few lines for dramatic effect, even if most people still call them sensei/teacher or whatever. its not a huge deal though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of Annette, one of the screenshots features Gilbert putting a question in the advice box asking about how to reconnect with his daughter now that he's recently met her again.

They're both from Faerghus, so it's pretty likely Gilbert is her dad.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

Echoes & Heroes have generally solid translation work so I'm sticking to my theory that Fates was so uneven because of how much had to be translated at once.

Oh actually I was curious and checked Fates credits vs a few other recent-ish games, cuz I wondered if maybe there was also a problem of so many people in the pie as the base script had
If I'm reading the credits right there were like 20 translators/localizers on Fates, not counting scripters and other such people
Awakening had 5
Radiant Dawn had 10
Echoes also had 4 or 5
Shadow Dragon had....t-three??

There's other positions involved in each game (for example, the 8-4 games had another 4 or 5 NoA translators for assistance), but Fates Translator credit alone had 20 people before counting the other credits, like scripters and supervisor and so on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

rannum posted:

Echoes & Heroes have generally solid translation work so I'm sticking to my theory that Fates was so uneven because of how much had to be translated at once.

Echoes, like Awakening, was 8-4.

Not saying that Three Houses is anywhere near doomed, the heroes stuff is a positive sign, just noting that Echoes isn't done by the same team as Fates.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Echoes, like Awakening, was 8-4.

Not saying that Three Houses is anywhere near doomed, the heroes stuff is a positive sign, just noting that Echoes isn't done by the same team as Fates.

Yeah you're right, I forgot to edit that out after I got sidetracked looking up credits.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fates was the last time they had a traditional "localize the game after it came out in Japan," which probably put them on an absurd time crunch to translate 3 full games in like a year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, the translators have probably been working alongside the dev team this time, especially since it's treehouse, unlike Fates where it seems like they just got it dumped on them after the game was out.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
i totally thought claude was voiced by ben diskin, but ben diskin actually voices lorenz. so that one line at the beginning asking about a class reunion was lorenz instead of claude. That's an interesting choice for someone to put in that position.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I cant believe Saizo and Lorenz has the same voice actor.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

rannum posted:

The english website is up, the most notable thing (since we've seen all this and way more through famitsu) for us is probably all the characters have a few voice lines to hear their VO https://fireemblem.nintendo.com/three-houses/characters/

except byleth, anyway.

Going through the voicelines and man, Claude seems very cool.

I'm sticking with the Lions but he makes a strong counter-argument

Edit: Hilda also seems very good.

Just about everyone comes off as pretty charming. This game will be good I think.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I cant wait for Professor Crests and the hot teacher to fall in love.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Endorph posted:

I can’t defend any of Fates’ localization, but it was never going to be able to polish the turd that was the original script into anything decent. So I cut them a little slack and think they could be better with a story and characters that actually tried to be good rather than desperately toss every element they could think of in at random.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the issue with that is that the fates localization ruined the parts of fates' original script that actually were decent. (jakob, the gay supports, niles in general)

seriously my experience with the treehouse is such that i have to hope that if this game has gay supports they dont actively go out of their way to take them from 'undercooked but their heart is in the right place' to 'actively offensive'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 12, 2019

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Can the switch render feet? asking for a friend

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fates and echoes had feet

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1149668329533202432

Good review!!

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
That rewind feature is an interesting one. I wonder if you can only use it in your turn ala "oh poo poo, i moved my guy to the wrong position" or it can be used in enemy turn to get around "WHAT THE gently caress THAT CRIT WAS BULLSHIT".

In fact I wonder if it messes with the rng seed at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses does a much better job at balancing the horny anime wife simulator of Fates and Awakening

i disagree on the review being good

Tiger Millionaire posted:

That rewind feature is an interesting one. I wonder if you can only use it in your turn ala "oh poo poo, i moved my guy to the wrong position" or it can be used in enemy turn to get around "WHAT THE gently caress THAT CRIT WAS BULLSHIT".

you can only use it on your turn but you can go back to a previous turn, or even all the way back to the start of the map if you want

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Everything we have seen indicates that it works like it does in Echoes. So you can only use it during your turn but you can rewind back as many actions as you want until the start of the battle. In regards to the rng it does nothing to change it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If it works like Echoes then I think it does affect RNG.

I remember using it to cheat crit procs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also there's a guy teasing same-sex romance options but uhh the article conflates flirting and actual explicit s-support romances a lot and doesn't go into any specifics. I don't doubt there are options but I would take anything this guy hints at (like claude) with a huge grain of salt in terms of the specifics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Update, apparently this italian news site confirmed 5 lesbian options and 3 gay options?

Hopefully each house has one.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 12, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hey, apparently Cyril is recruitable. Yay, maybe we won't have to kill him after all?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Im ready to be disappointed at the dev's picks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Hey, apparently Cyril is recruitable. Yay, maybe we won't have to kill him after all?
id imagine a lot of the side characters will have recruitments that vary based on those choices the eurogamer preview mentioned. shamir seems like another good candidate for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the biggest bomb shell so far:

jeralt is a paladin and not a hero

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm going Black Eagles, but gonna work extra hard to steal Annette so she can sing about cake all the time :3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Annath posted:

I'm going Black Eagles, but gonna work extra hard to steal Annette so she can sing about cake all the time :3:
getting annette without also getting her best friend mercedes should be illegal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Endorph posted:

also there's a guy teasing same-sex romance options but uhh the article conflates flirting and actual explicit s-support romances a lot and doesn't go into any specifics. I don't doubt there are options but I would take anything this guy hints at (like claude) with a huge grain of salt in terms of the specifics.

hosed up that the intro to this completely ignores Echoes and Leon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

hosed up that the intro to this completely ignores Echoes and Leon.

also that the text of it ignores the entire library and continuity of gay representation in japanese games, but i get the impression the dude who wrote this sucks rear end

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Endorph posted:

the issue with that is that the fates localization ruined the parts of fates' original script that actually were decent. (jakob, the gay supports, niles in general)

seriously my experience with the treehouse is such that i have to hope that if this game has gay supports they dont actively go out of their way to take them from 'undercooked but their heart is in the right place' to 'actively offensive'

Niles works because he uses being distressingly forward as a tactic to keep people off balance while he figures them out. Creeping people out gives him an advantage, but he can be serious when need be. I wouldn’t ever defend the rest, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Geostomp posted:

Niles works because he uses being distressingly forward as a tactic to keep people off balance while he figures them out. Creeping people out gives him an advantage, but he can be serious when need be. I wouldn’t ever defend the rest, though.
he was like that in japanese also

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Welp, time to romance the "evil" empress.

Mostly because it sounds amusing as hell.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Endorph posted:

the biggest bomb shell so far:

jeralt is a paladin and not a hero

That's a whole lotta HP the house leaders and Byleth are packing there. They'll be absolute beasts in the endgame since they most likely have good growths and what extra HP they get from advancing classes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not a bot posted:

That's a whole lotta HP the house leaders and Byleth are packing there. They'll be absolute beasts in the endgame since they most likely have good growths and what extra HP they get from advancing classes.
it seems like hp in general in this game is high. theres a screenshot of level 20 dorothea with 40 hp, and i doubt her hp growth is especially high.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One of the screenshot also has what I assume to be Byleth's response, but with a different name over it. This confirms for me that we can rename Byleth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
idk if echoes had this, but I greatly appreciate the game telling you who is going to get dogpiled while you're moving people around.