Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Freaking Crumbum posted:

friede would be a really cool boss if you started on whatever phase you died on

right now she's poop from a butt

Oh, the fight it self is like getting punched in the dick forever. But her entrance in phase 3 is great.

"Oh, you thought I was done fucker?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Wow, those Millwood Knights in Painted World are no joke. This whole first area is crazy tough! Made it to the first bonfire and also cleared out the other paths with the giant wolves and the tower. I put the Prince and the Storm King bosses on hold till I finish some more of the DLC. Maybe I’ll give them a shot every now and again.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, King of the Storm is kicking my rear end at the moment. I can reliably defeat the first phase but I always end up misjudging a dodge or trying an ill-advised attack and he hammers me for about half my health, then it's time to misjudge drinking from my flask, and then I'm dead.

Seems much tougher than the Soul of Cinder, oddly enough.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Gold pine resin really helps with the Nameless King.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nameless King is designed to punish roll-spamming. Many of his attacks are delayed in such a way that whatever he follows up with can catch you out of a roll. He really hates bleed effects though so stock up on Carthus Rouge (and Dorhy's Gnawing if you're doing Miracles).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Gold pine resin really helps with the Nameless King.

This is mean.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Welp, Gold Pine resin for King of the Storm and Charcoal resin for Nameless King.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
It’s been a while, but I seem to remember that bleed also works pretty decently against the Nameless King.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Isn’t nameless king almost completely helpless against ranged attacks? I think I’ve seen videos of someone just walking backwards, dodging the occasional dash and spamming sorceries. The first time I killed him, I had a huge amount of trouble and only finally got him by using a shield with really good lightning resist (lothric knight shield?).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I might try a faster weapon next time - trying to slip sneaky hits in is pretty tough with the Dragons Tooth.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
When using slow weapons, I like to keep my distance and use throwing knives to bait him into doing one of his dash attacks, then I just dodge and punish.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Isn’t nameless king almost completely helpless against ranged attacks? I think I’ve seen videos of someone just walking backwards, dodging the occasional dash and spamming sorceries. The first time I killed him, I had a huge amount of trouble and only finally got him by using a shield with really good lightning resist (lothric knight shield?).

This is most likely true, based on the fact that I almost always make my first run a Sorcerer and I didn't think Nameless King was all that difficult when I fought him. Still took me a few tries, but he didn't make me stress out like some other bosses sometimes did. It's especially helpful to be able to take out his first phase with 2 shots since it saves so much time.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Doesn't he have a lot of charges and leaps to get up close, though, from what I remember? Besides his shockwaves.

I tried using a big stable shield against him but even that had me with almost no stamina after his chained hits. In the end I won with a greatsword by being really careful with my footwork, weaving in an out of close range, and nearly always rolling forward, which baited a sideways swing that I could (sometimes) just keep moving away from after the roll. Maybe I just got lucky, because after some 12 pathetic attempts, that let me beat him with only 2 flasks used.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Nameless King has gap closers but unlike Champion Gundyr he doesn't use them reactively, so if you're a ranged build you can plink away safely while backing up and occasionally sidestepping.

I feel the hard part about fighting him in melee is that he ends many of his combos with a side-slash, and there are not enough recovery frames after that for you to hit him safely, at least not with most weapons. If he ends with a thrust you can hit him. I also remember reading somewhere that, unlike almost all the other bosses, his attacks are deliberately offset from the background music tempo (but I've never checked this rigorously).

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Sephyr posted:

Doesn't he have a lot of charges and leaps to get up close, though, from what I remember? Besides his shockwaves.

I tried using a big stable shield against him but even that had me with almost no stamina after his chained hits. In the end I won with a greatsword by being really careful with my footwork, weaving in an out of close range, and nearly always rolling forward, which baited a sideways swing that I could (sometimes) just keep moving away from after the roll. Maybe I just got lucky, because after some 12 pathetic attempts, that let me beat him with only 2 flasks used.

He does a slow imposing walk toward you most of the time, which is pretty funny when he repeatedly facetanks Crystal Soul Spears as a result.

While he has a few ranged attacks/charges, they're quite telegraphed so it's not that tough to see them coming and respond. And then you just backpedal to create some distance again.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Multi-stage bossfights with cutscenes really make me not interested in trying more. Tried Friede, Nameless King, and the two princes a few times each but the first stages feel wholly unnecessary.

I only made it to Friede stage 2 - definitely feeling like I’m not going to have the patience for a three stage fight.

I did beat some a gravetender and a big ol’ wolf though! I don’t mind that sort of fight.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dantheman650 posted:

Multi-stage bossfights with cutscenes really make me not interested in trying more. Tried Friede, Nameless King, and the two princes a few times each but the first stages feel wholly unnecessary.

I only made it to Friede stage 2 - definitely feeling like I’m not going to have the patience for a three stage fight.

I did beat some a gravetender and a big ol’ wolf though! I don’t mind that sort of fight.

Hahah man, you are going to hate Sekiro if you ever get to it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

King of Solomon posted:

As someone who’s played maybe 1000+ hours of DS3, and maybe ~300 hours of Sekiro, I can say confidently, the latter is more satisfying when directly camparing those fights to any of Sekiro’s, or at least the sword fights and not the ones against giant monsters, etc. or at least I enjoyed them all a lot, even after dying for hours on end to like 3 bosses, I loved those fights in the end because unlike the Dark Souls 3 bosses who I felt like I didn’t truly master, like, I’ve beaten them multiple times but the Nameless King and the Lothric Twins will still kick my rear end a lot and I feel like, out of all the Soulsbornekiro games that they’re the least ‘fair’. I can reliably destroy Orphan of Kos first attempt up to NG++, and it takes me at least several tries for the last boss of Sekiro on NG+, but it’s incredibly fun still. That’s probably just me though, I shouldn’t say they aren’t ‘fair’, but it feels like it after spending so much time playing the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

They actually designed Sekiro better around the idea of multi-phase boss fights (and, surprise, most boss fights thus have more phases). For one, learning the fight, which is always the hard part, is made simpler thanks to resurrection allowing you to have another go at whatever you died to and maybe get more timings down. The phases also go by way faster in that game than they do in Souls unless you've specifically specced yourself out to be the optimised damage dealer which literally nobody is going to do on their first playthrough. Sekiro barely has character customisation so it all works out.

I think they did still put in one fight with a completely unnecessary first phase but at least there's only one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mashed my head against Twin Princes and just could not and still havent figured out what the game wanted me to actually do so Ive never beaten them without summoning.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Amppelix posted:

They actually designed Sekiro better around the idea of multi-phase boss fights (and, surprise, most boss fights thus have more phases). For one, learning the fight, which is always the hard part, is made simpler thanks to resurrection allowing you to have another go at whatever you died to and maybe get more timings down. The phases also go by way faster in that game than they do in Souls unless you've specifically specced yourself out to be the optimised damage dealer which literally nobody is going to do on their first playthrough. Sekiro barely has character customisation so it all works out.

I think they did still put in one fight with a completely unnecessary first phase but at least there's only one.

All I'm going to say is I disagree strongly with what I bolded. They still sucked and there were a whole lot more of them.

Barudak posted:

I mashed my head against Twin Princes and just could not and still havent figured out what the game wanted me to actually do so Ive never beaten them without summoning.

Kill the younger prince. He's the real boss fight.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My perspective on Sekiro is so biased because I adore the game so much I can remember boss patterns in my head and the final boss isnt much harder than the first miniboss at this point.

Its a rare thing, I get frustrated by hard games just like everyone else but certain games are just so good you want to learn them inside out.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't mind the multi-stage fights in Sekiro and I hate pretty much every single multi-stage fight in DS3 so.

Demon Prince
Nameless King
Lothric
Friede

pretty much every fight where you take down a health bar and then it's just a trick into a second/third phase. some of them, I don't mind the individual phases, but stringing them together and being faked out of when a fight is over is something I dislike about DS3, and it probably doesn't help that pretty much all of them are loaded into the end of the game, so it feels like there's just one after another.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

morallyobjected posted:

I don't mind the multi-stage fights in Sekiro and I hate pretty much every single multi-stage fight in DS3 so.

Demon Prince
Nameless King
Lothric
Friede

pretty much every fight where you take down a health bar and then it's just a trick into a second/third phase. some of them, I don't mind the individual phases, but stringing them together and being faked out of when a fight is over is something I dislike about DS3, and it probably doesn't help that pretty much all of them are loaded into the end of the game, so it feels like there's just one after another.

I don't really mind Twin Princes, but I agree with the others, they annoy the hell out of me. I just found that the multi-phase fights in Sekiro also annoyed me, and there were more of them.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I don't really mind Twin Princes, but I agree with the others, they annoy the hell out of me. I just found that the multi-phase fights in Sekiro also annoyed me, and there were more of them.

now that I think of it, there's one in Sekiro that I absolutely do not like and I skip it every time since it's optional. Guardian Ape 2: This Time With Friend

there's just too much going on in phase 2 and it's annoying to try and concentrate on one of them. the first guardian ape fight gets a pass just because it's so easy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Barudak posted:

get behind them

I understand not liking demon prince and friede but nameless king owns, is extremely fair, and beating up the wimpy dragon at the start is fun

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bosses with multiple visible phases are cool.

Bosses that appear to have one health bar and then suddenly grow a fakeout second one when you think you won should be grounds to have your Game Making License revoked for life.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'd be a lot more fine with multiple phases if FROM didn't insist on a transition with unskippable dialogue.

voiced bosses are a bane on dark souls in general, hearing the same bullshit audio file 10x times is *agony*

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

After two hours of failing on the twin princes, I put away my shield, two-handed my sword, and beat them easily on the next try. I guess I should learn a lesson from this.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

After two hours of failing on the twin princes, I put away my shield, two-handed my sword, and beat them easily on the next try. I guess I should learn a lesson from this.

I know it's DS3 but still.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Are any unskippable? I get why they’d do have it play every time, but it doesn’t annoy me since you can just hit ‘options’ or whatever and it skips the cutscene. But the only one that grows a health bar in Sekiro, or I guess there’s 2 but the second one is very much worth it for the OH poo poo moment, I think. And the first one is fine, I thought I’d beaten it and I wasn’t anywhere near ‘ready’ to have beaten it and 100 attempts later I did it and it felt good. I also love the game and can look past bits that are maybe not quite as good, but even the boss fights in Dark Souls 3 that I mentioned besides the optional Ringed City boss, which I think just sucks, and is the only boss that I think isn’t fun at all. Other than that, I like the Twin Princes especially, even though I suck, it’s still a great fight, and same with the Nameless King, but I don’t like it nearly as much.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

double nine posted:

I'd be a lot more fine with multiple phases if FROM didn't insist on a transition with unskippable dialogue.

voiced bosses are a bane on dark souls in general, hearing the same bullshit audio file 10x times is *agony*

HESITATION IS DEFEAT

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rolling into the boreal valley with my dex-specced katana / mail breaker man and I remember these pontiff knights being a lot more fun to fight when I was a pyro dork

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Tarezax posted:

HESITATION IS DEFEAT

Its Isshin talking to the player

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

beating up the wimpy dragon at the start is fun
It's not so fun when you're trying to learn the actual fight and keep feeling like your time is being wasted by this mandatory two minute snoozefest of a fight

Which is really the problem with all of them. Once you finally get it, going through the fight later on your nth playthrough is fun again.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

WaltherFeng posted:

Its Isshin talking to the player

That is best god drat fight in any from soft game, holy poo poo. So yeah multi phase is cool when it's done right. Sekiro does a great job of having phases build from one another, whereas dark souls 3 is just Dickhead McGee about it. Feels like disjointed bosses back to back

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KingSlime posted:

That is best god drat fight in any from soft game, holy poo poo. So yeah multi phase is cool when it's done right. Sekiro does a great job of having phases build from one another, whereas dark souls 3 is just Dickhead McGee about it. Feels like disjointed bosses back to back

If you're talking about the Sword Saint Isshin boss, I absolutely loathed that fight. I was so relieved when I was through with it. It was like the worst parts of Freide all over again.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Isshin is great because every single move he has has a reliable counter and you just need to read his moves and respond. It takes a while to memorize them but its really not that difficult.

Its my favorite fight for sure and it looks amazing when you are in the flow.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yeah I will also defend isshin. there's no friede-style seven million attacks in a row bullshit - okay, well, let me rephrase. isshin does do like seven attacks in a row, but sekiro gives you the tools to actually participate in the process, viz. the parrying system, instead of having to back off and watch the nonsense like you do with blackflame friede. consequently, if you know isshin inside and out you can straight up wreck him in a couple minutes without ever easing off the gas. even the best player can't do the same with friede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sword Saint kicks dick and the worst bosses in Sekiro are the Headless, who have no phases at all.