Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

It stings a lot more when the dominant industry leader with a notable spotty record on such representation (and treatment of individuals) is handed credit for work that smaller companies and indie creators did first, more frequently, and often better for decades.

Geek and Sundry feels like 'peak woke ally' these days. All ready to help save when it comes to the slightest effort, and also completely ignoring things actual minorities point out as problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It stings a lot more when the dominant industry leader with a notable spotty record on such representation (and treatment of individuals) is handed credit for work that smaller companies and indie creators did first, more frequently, and often better for decades.

Everyone who works for WotC (On D&D) is tainted

https://twitter.com/Alphastream/status/1149420896261558272

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh definitely. At the same time I am extremely glad that roleplaying games are becoming more prominent even if D&D is getting the lions share of the credit. Just more people in the hobby in any capacity increases the likelihood of new people stumbling into indie games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PST posted:

The Mike Mearls Defender has logged on.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

PST posted:

Can someone help me unpack this one?

It seems like fellow goon Oliva Hill is calling out Mearls for past bad acts re: Zak S. And Travelgorge is saying that Hill doesn’t have a place to talk because they published previously with WOTC, but this is like 4 months after Hill’s initial post.

I’m just lost here and I think I’m missing something important.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nystral posted:

It seems like fellow goon Oliva Hill is calling out Mearls for past bad acts re: Zak S. And Travelgorge is saying that Hill doesn’t have a place to talk because they published previously with WOTC, but this is like 4 months after Hill’s initial post.

Travelgorge was replying to alphastream and using olivia’s post as proof, if you click through to twitter you can see the whole thread

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
There's a whole thread that sits on top of those posts. Short version is that Alphastream is some sort of Medium Cheese in the D&D world and spent most of yesterday defending Mearls. I believe Tavelgorge is addressing him directly in this tweet, and the quote from Olivia Hill is evidence that Alphastream wanted.

I agree it's not very clear from just those two tweets.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Nystral posted:

Nah this WotC dude showed up stanning Mearls and everyone else in the thread is telling him "Actually Mearls sucks for the following reasons", Hill showed up after one lf her tweets was linked in the thread. The WotC dude is going full DARVO "We can't expect someone to pay for ONE MISTAKE when just ONE SCREENSHOT is all the proof we have of any wrongdoing".

Later in the thread he turns out to have no idea who Olivia Hill is and is a total dick to her, then when he finds out she's a serious industry vet and he just snarkily told her he'd be glad to accept any advice she has on books he's written, he makes this weird post where he tries to backtrack it I guess and disappears from the thread.

Notably he, a WotC employee, did make a pretty big statement in the thread that Mearls won't apologize for his actions because "no apology would ever be good enough for YOU people". (can't link because I don't have Twitter on my phone but if anyone wants to look at the dude's replies it's in there)

Edit: Beaten by a much more precise post from potatocubed

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also lol at Shearer jumping in there to be chief wokeman while still being friends with a sex pest.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

potatocubed posted:

Alphastream is some sort of Medium Cheese in the D&D world and spent most of yesterday defending Mearls.
Who is he IRL? What books has he worked on? I want to know who to avoid when the time comes to spend my gamebux.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also lol at Shearer jumping in there to be chief wokeman while still being friends with a sex pest.

Shearer and Olivia travel in the same circles and tend to jump in on twitter threads where the other is mentioned to shore up their points.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dawgstar posted:

Geek and Sundry feels like 'peak woke ally' these days. All ready to help save when it comes to the slightest effort, and also completely ignoring things actual minorities point out as problematic.

You want peak woke ally? That bullshit article is tagged LGBT. It is the ONLY LGBT tagged article on G&S.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

FMguru posted:

Who is he IRL? What books has he worked on? I want to know who to avoid when the time comes to spend my gamebux.
https://twitter.com/Alphastream
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Teos_Abadia
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Works_by_Teos_Abadia

Edit: Sorry, still looking for any non-forgotten realms work he's done.
https://rpggeek.com/rpgdesigner/25440/teos-abadia

Servetus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 12, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I feel like WOTC is being misleading with it’s numbers here. This is just the numbers for the starter set, what’s their actual attach rate?

I know it’s completely unreasonable to ask for a company to just spill all their numbers out onto the page for me. But at the same time I’m always going to distrust any company that employs Mike Mearls.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

DalaranJ posted:

I feel like WOTC is being misleading with it’s numbers here. This is just the numbers for the starter set, what’s their actual attach rate?

I know it’s completely unreasonable to ask for a company to just spill all their numbers out onto the page for me. But at the same time I’m always going to distrust any company that employs Mike Mearls.

Eh, it isn't, really. They likely wouldn't give numbers that are wrong, but they likely wouldn't have much say in how the numbers are shown. This would be, at worst, as bad as any other company with a proper PR department.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Lore Bear posted:

Eh, it isn't, really. They likely wouldn't give numbers that are wrong, but they likely wouldn't have much say in how the numbers are shown. This would be, at worst, as bad as any other company with a proper PR department.

I mean that I think the led the author into the presumption that the starter set is D&D itself. It looks like the numbers they quote 41% in 2017 and 52% in 2018 are a match to the chart which states “sales of the starter set”. It would be quite a coincidence if overall sales rate change happened to be 1 to 1 with those of a single optional product?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Just wanted to jump into confidence minority chat real quick.

I’m pretty sure I tend to come across as a non-threatening person of color. I pick my battles hard and yes sometimes that means I will kautau to well-intentioned people who don’t realize they’re screwing up somehow. Sometimes it even means doing this to people who are blameworthy but with whom conflict is going to be too detrimental to justify speaking up. The thing is, I benefit from people who are more aggressive about these issues because it gets people thinking about them and acknowledging them. It means I get to be more subtle about how I discuss this stuff because I get to rely on the likelihood that the person I talk to may have heard a louder person shouting it at them earlier. They’ve been primed for me to come in and talk to them nicely while seeming respectable and reasonable.

Additionally, it personally grants me a lot of hope because it means I’m more likely to hear about a minority succeeding in a mostly white space and without having to (in their eyes) compromise themselves to do it. So even if I don’t carry myself in the same way that they do, their success, their road to that success and their personality they get to have while achieving that success enters the realm of possibility for me. The benefits of that are immeasurable.

The tragedy of this is that this will sometimes paint me in a better light than others in the same boat who are more vocal about the fact that they are experiencing these problems. So as someone who only gets to be that “nice” minority because of people who are more in everyone’s face about it, I can’t in good conscience tell someone not to be that way when what they’re discussing is real and important and helpful to those with perhaps meeker voices.

Now this is of course my own stance on it that I feel I have to take, and which I wouldn’t force on anyone else in my position. But I’m offering it here because maybe it could give a bit of context for why people like DC may seem “too” outspoken (both about their successes and their issues). Other people rely on them to be that way and get to survive and be happy in their interactions with the community in part because of that.

Edit: Didn’t see Ettin’s post, sorry about that.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 12, 2019

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Nickoten posted:

Just wanted to jump into confidence minority chat real quick.

I’m pretty sure I tend to come across as a non-threatening person of color. I pick my battles hard and yes sometimes that means I will kautau to well-intentioned people who don’t realize they’re screwing up somehow. Sometimes it even means doing this to people who are blameworthy but with whom conflict is going to be too detrimental to justify speaking up. The thing is, I benefit from people who are more aggressive about these issues because it gets people thinking about them and acknowledging them. It means I get to be more subtle about how I discuss this stuff because I get to rely on the likelihood that the person I talk to may have heard a louder person shouting it at them earlier. They’ve been primed for me to come in and talk to them nicely while seeming respectable and reasonable.

Additionally, it personally grants me a lot of hope because it means I’m more likely to hear about a minority succeeding in a mostly white space and without having to (in their eyes) compromise themselves to do it. So even if I don’t carry myself in the same way that they do, their success, their road to that success and their personality they get to have while achieving that success enters the realm of possibility for me. The benefits of that are immeasurable.

The tragedy of this is that this will sometimes paint me in a better light than others in the same boat who are more vocal about the fact that they are experiencing these problems. So as someone who only gets to be that “nice” minority because of people who are more in everyone’s face about it, I can’t in good conscience tell someone not to be that way when what they’re discussing is real and important and helpful to those with perhaps meeker voices.

Now this is of course my own stance on it that I feel I have to take, and which I wouldn’t force on anyone else in my position. But I’m offering it here because maybe it could give a bit of context for why people like DC may seem “too” outspoken (both about their successes and their issues). Other people rely on them to be that way and get to survive and be happy in their interactions with the community in part because of that.

This is a really good post, and it underscores why any change needs advocacy groups who are being loud and disruptive as a part of it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
We got told by Ettin to drop it. Move on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

https://twitter.com/NeolithichHist/status/1149686470032052224

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://mobile.twitter.com/Alphastream/status/1149780341139185664

This is the weirdest framing of a double down that I’ve ever seen.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Half the tweets in that thread aren't there anymore. I guess someone was giving that guy pushback and then decided to delete them all?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lumbermouth posted:

Pretty standard lovely centrist "Perhaps it is YOU who are the real Nazis?" bs.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Lumbermouth posted:

I, too, base my real-life decisions on the deep philosophical grounding provided by Hickman & Weiss.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

DalaranJ posted:

I mean that I think the led the author into the presumption that the starter set is D&D itself. It looks like the numbers they quote 41% in 2017 and 52% in 2018 are a match to the chart which states “sales of the starter set”. It would be quite a coincidence if overall sales rate change happened to be 1 to 1 with those of a single optional product?

The D&D starter set is the product that has been sold more of in the last few years.

Reading too deeply into any financial magazine puff pieces beyond "let company show off new product" is a waste of time. They're going to show their best product and the author is probably going to give it a cursory look to make sure they are numbers related to a real thing, and then the article is done. There's no manipulation other than the type of manipulation there is in every single one of these pieces, where companies will only give numbers if they are good or if they legally have to.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Jimbozig posted:

Half the tweets in that thread aren't there anymore. I guess someone was giving that guy pushback and then decided to delete them all?

Or they just protected their tweets so you can't see them if they aren't following you.

e: so, you know, people can't harass them over it

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Does reading Dragonlance give you brain worms or do you need brainworms to get through Dragonlance?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reene posted:

Does reading Dragonlance give you brain worms or do you need brainworms to get through Dragonlance?

Nauseatingly Ironic Hipster Voice: How can people even pretend to like [[Incredibly Popular Thing]]?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Toshimo posted:

Nauseatingly Ironic Hipster Voice: How can people even pretend to like [[Incredibly Popular Thing]]?
I get what you are trying to say, but Dragonlance hasn't been popular since the 80's and a bit of the 90's.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Reene posted:

Awesome burn on a popular 80s fantasy franchise for kids. Did you guys also know that the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon was really stupid and poorly written? Wow!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Wow, it's like Arivia and the Forgotten Realms in here but in stereo and for an even worse setting.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Reene posted:

Dragonlance is very much your Le Epic Fantasy Save the World flaire, but with the touch of the writer's own brand of humor and religious worldbuilding which is off-putting to many. Even a lot of DL fans acknowledge the series' shortcomings, but there's still an interesting core which can be salvaged into something neat. I ran a year-long 13th Age Campaign, repurposing the Chronicles adventures to the system. I pretty much had to rewrite the backstory of the Cataclysm and Takhisis' Dragon Empire in order to "make sense" to a less Conservative Christian gaming table.

But that ain't what we're talking about. To put on my amateur DLstorian cap...

Dragonlance's religious system functions on a different axis than most D&D settings. It's a world very much in the conservative Christian flair where the welfare of distant deities are prioritized over mortals, and adopt those old Biblical tales without deconstructing them. Whereas people can definitely point out how it's hosed up in the Old Testament where God kills entire civilizations for the crimes of a few, to more secular and non-conservative readers doing the same thing in D&D sends up alarm bells. The Cataclysm is framed both from the perspective of the party cleric and the wise people in the setting of mortals turning their backs on the gods, who in turn abandoned the world for 300 years after literally exploding a country, leaving a huge power vacuum, and residual irreversible climate change whose effects truly haven't been repaired. It then comes off as victim-blaming when future generations are very reasonably angered at the gods' hand in the Cataclysm and may not want to honor them with prayer.

But the Gods are more or less immutably Good, even the ones who condemned the deaths of millions of innocents this way, which ends up turning into a "too much Good is a bad thing!" where people like Alphastream can go "hey look at these people who think they're good screwing things up! Doesn't this remind you of the Kingpriest?!?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

We got told by Ettin to drop it. Move on.

Hey Arivia? Go gently caress yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

okay but neither of you answered my question and you're clearly in a position to know firsthand

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wow, it's like Arivia and the Forgotten Realms in here but in stereo and for an even worse setting.

Say what you will about Dragonlance, 95% of the novels don't center around an old wizard's sex life. :dong:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Libertad! posted:

Say what you will about Dragonlance, 95% of the novels don't center around an old wizard's sex life. :dong:

Yeah, they're about Kitiara's sex life instead :v:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kibner posted:

Or they just protected their tweets so you can't see them if they aren't following you.

e: so, you know, people can't harass them over it

Oh ok, I am not on Twitter a whole lot so I didn't know that was a thing. Thanks for the explanation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Hey Arivia? Go gently caress yourself.

Come on, that’s uncalled for.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.
I just saw that James Desborough interviewed David Guyll about YRPGIS. I listened to it long enough to hear the softballs Desborough pitched him. Also, if I wanted to prove that I wasn’t a regressive creep, I’d probably not go on Desborough’s cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

Come on, that’s uncalled for.

Neither was you telling someone who actually posted something interesting and insightful instead of another installment in your self-aggrandizing quest to die on yet another dumb hill to "move on" like you're the hall monitor.