Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Bofast posted:

The funny thing is that if they had not told anyone about it, almost no one on the planet would have noticed how they did it.

Or indeed cared. It's a game after all, as long as it's fun and works as it should, why would anyone apart from interested nerds and devs need to know how the technology behind it works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I'm sad cause I'm starting to get SC vibes from this ... lots of videos and soothing voices and no gameplay. :/
You have no idea how right you are. The theorycrafting on the discord is early-SC levels. Plus, lethality likes it :smith:

I am very, very cautiously enthusiasthic, but don't pony up money yet.

Sarsapariller posted:

God I swear this exact article came out about this exact same feature when it was first announced over a year ago, and I had a minute of feeling all smug because of course that's how you'd do it if you weren't a simpering jackass. It's the very first shortcut any normal dev would take.

Ah yes but see, thing is *wavy hands*

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Star Citizen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b7dm9eb_fw&t=182s

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Being a space ninja is cool as hell and will spoil every other game where you have to run from point a to point b.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Or indeed cared. It's a game after all, as long as it's fun and works as it should, why would anyone apart from interested nerds and devs need to know how the technology behind it works?

But when you fly past a ship in space and you know that it's not really a enemy player at the helm, you will feel grief.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sandweed posted:

But when you fly past a ship in space and you know that it's not really a enemy player at the helm, you will feel grief.

I'm definitely going to be disappointed when I can't land my spaceship on a planet and drive my 60 dollar rover down the 190 dollar ramp, only for the whole thing to clip into the ground and explode.

I feel like the whole thing won't be nearly as satisfying when it's all free and also works.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm just going to leave this here.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sandweed posted:

Honestly, I'd feel nothing but indifference.

Wait - maybe... maybe :reddit: is right after all - could it be that Star Citizen isn't for me?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

My dudes, I met a dog.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Lladre posted:

I'm just going to leave this here.

Sandweed posted:

My dudes, I met a dog.

:3:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sandweed posted:

My dudes, I met a dog.

Does that thing have eyes?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Honestly I don't know.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Just harassing you. Awesome looking thing.

edit: It will be a groomers challenge.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 12, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, 2015. Feature creep was opening up 4 more studios and skinning procedural animals on procedural planets.

What a farce.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Steve is an actual code whispering genius where croberts is a sentient thumb that lucked out with 1 game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Neltharak posted:

You have no idea how right you are. The theorycrafting on the discord is early-SC levels. Plus, lethality likes it :smith:

Ah yes but see, thing is *wavy hands*

People forget that all of these space games are being made by indie studios with small budgets. While they can have some cool gameplay, they’re always going to be small and narrow experiences for a niche audience, not the be-all-end-all modern AAA space sim that everyone is still hoping for.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

big nipples big life posted:

Steve is an actual code whispering genius where croberts is a sentient thumb that lucked out with 1 game.

I still laugh at the shadow casting hologram, or the onion knight pushing hologram.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Neltharak posted:

One of the devs did go on record saying that they expect the EA release to be a bit of a hot mess but they see it as necessary for testing the game beyond what they're able to do with just the studio team working at it

I'm encouraged by the lack of bullshitting the devs have been pumping out. I am concerned by how many times I'm hearing "We aren't really sure how that'll work yet". At least if it is a hot mess and people are mad they have only themselves to blame for expecting the next coming of Christ.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

WeAreNotCIG.txt

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Stop buying unfinished space games.

e: I am including me in this cause I bought X4.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

big nipples big life posted:

Stop buying unfinished space games.

e: I am including me in this cause I bought X4.

Stop buying early access survival crafting sandbox games, at the very least

I feel like EA is a bullshit thing for multiplayer games- if a single player game is EA I can wait until it's finished with no loss of quality, but a multiplayer game lives or dies by player count, and if a multiplayer game is open in any capacity, it's basically going to peak on players and begin to decline after the first few months. If you wait for it to exit EA chances are that the population will be nearly gone by the time it does.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

:siren: BREAKING STANDBY BREAKING :siren:

It's time to CELEBRATE INDEPENDENCE DAY!

Nearly two weeks late!

In a game where the big megaciv is an imperial monarchy!

Our options range from "Hundreds of dollars" to "Holy gently caress you have to be loving making GBS threads me"!

BUY BUY BUY!

THIS SHIP COSTS 5 THOUSAND DOLLARS AND ISN'T IN THE GAME

BUY BUY BUY!

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 12, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I like that the UEE, which seems to use the colors gold, olive, and black exclusively, has decreed red white and blue to be the colors of independence

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You know that Chris has totally been out of the country for the last month and only just got back when someone asked him how his independence day party went and his hands immediately began a flurry of motions

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I like that the UEE, which seems to use the colors gold, olive, and black exclusively, has decreed red white and blue to be the colors of independence

I like that the "Exclusive" packages are themed around red/white/blue and not around a collection of ships that make sense, exist in the game, or even serve any real purpose. A constellation yacht (it's white!), a pirate ship police variant (it's blue!), and an ambulance (it's red!), and two of the three don't exist? If you buy this what you'll actually get is the yacht, the regular pirate ship, and the regular non-luxury version of the same yacht, because those are the loaners they offer. Also you don't get the game, that's not part of the package.

It's a steal at only six hundred and seventy-five loving dollars!

Oops we forgot we were supposed to pretend that all the ships are going to have custom colors some day and that wasn't just a thing we sold on the 300 and don't plan to add to any of these other ships!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Soooo many things wrong there yet the fan reaction is, "cool, finally, a sale!"

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Sarsapariller posted:

Nearly two weeks late!

In a game where the big megaciv is an imperial monarchy!

Our options range from "Hundreds of dollars" to "Holy gently caress you have to be loving making GBS threads me"!

BUY BUY BUY!

THIS SHIP COSTS 5 THOUSAND DOLLARS AND ISN'T IN THE GAME

BUY BUY BUY!

Hey they are right on cue for Bastille Day, on the 14th. The colours even match. Is France the new market for CI!G, after Germany?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Independence... from whom? Did humanity get enslaved by the bird people?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Beet Wagon posted:

There's a fair number of Citizens in Holland

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 12, 2019

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

Hey they are right on cue for Bastille Day, on the 14th. The colours even match. Is France the new market for CI!G, after Germany?
right behind german streamers, french streamers get the most organic viewers

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I like that the "Exclusive" packages are themed around red/white/blue and not around a collection of ships that make sense, exist in the game, or even serve any real purpose. A constellation yacht (it's white!), a pirate ship police variant (it's blue!), and an ambulance (it's red!), and two of the three don't exist? If you buy this what you'll actually get is the yacht, the regular pirate ship, and the regular non-luxury version of the same yacht, because those are the loaners they offer. Also you don't get the game, that's not part of the package.

Oops we forgot we were supposed to pretend that all the ships are going to have custom colors some day and that wasn't just a thing we sold on the 300 and don't plan to add to any of these other ships!

Is it hosed up that this has become so normalized with regards to Star Citizen that it didn't even register for me? Like yeah of course they're selling incoherent packages of ships that don't exist yet, what's new? Lol

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1149737867733680128

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Is it hosed up that this has become so normalized with regards to Star Citizen that it didn't even register for me? Like yeah of course they're selling incoherent packages of ships that don't exist yet, what's new? Lol

Uh oh, Beet's getting jaded! The joy of rubbing, forever lost to him...

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

TheAgent posted:

right behind german streamers, french streamers get the most organic viewers

I feel (national) grief.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

Now wait just one moment...

TheAgent posted:

• quarterly packages, including rare or limited ships, to start appearing soon with limited buying

Are these bundles abnormal? (Other than being stupidly expensive macro pre-orders that is.)

I can see the Constellation Phoenix is 'limited stock' and included in one of the bundles. Guess that counts as rare. Can't see a limit on the packages generally though. Does it stop when the patriotism runs out?

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

Yes. Plenty of french sites cover it and write things for it, we got loyal citizens here. Unlike all of you FUDsters :chord:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Rummage sale:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

quote:

Imperator’s Day
[...]
Together, we struck down tyrannical regimes
[...]
say “au revoir” to tyrannical regimes

:thunk:

Giving off some serious "Democratic Republic of" vibes here.