Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Agean90 posted:

I still think Pheonix should be put to the torch

how would that be different from how it already is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

how would that be different from how it already is?

less people, more personal satisfaction, for me

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nocturtle posted:

I've been seriously wondering about this, NYC is facing an imminent existential threat but there's been barely any work towards storm/sea rise protection. All of those billionaire pencil skyscrapers are worth nothing if the city stop working because the subways flooded. Maybe the authorities figure that NYC is doomed no matter what on a 100-year timescale, so investing money is pointless. But then why fund the LGA renovation, given that it's already regularly flooding.

i walked by metropolitan hospital, the "poor people" hospital on the north side of the island serving East Harlem the other day and lo! there are flood initiatives already being deployed:

they're sandbags

that don't even make it all the way around the building.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's a major port that economically and strategically important

colonists didn't just settle there in 1718 for shits and giggles, though i'm sure everyone in baton rouge would be happy to claim the new port importance title

is it still gonna be a useful port when the sea has risen so much around the city that we start calling it Orleans Island? i'm not clear on how important land transportation accessibility is to being a port

we've already been defying nature to protect New Orleans' economic value for quite a long time. the Mississippi River has been trying to change its course away from New Orleans for decades, and we've built a network of dams and floodgates to prevent it from doing so. if the river control structures fail, New Orleans loses most of its economic value and therefore the country will lose interest in protecting it

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/WeatherMatrix/status/1149704047844306944

seems fine

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Main Paineframe posted:

is it still gonna be a useful port when the sea has risen so much around the city that we start calling it Orleans Island? i'm not clear on how important land transportation accessibility is to being a port

That probably depends on if the railroad tracks and highways stick around in some fashion; I think the major benefit of the port is having a site with a significant ability to switch between rail, ship, and truck transportation.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

already getting surge in Pontchartrain? weird

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I know you aren't supposed to shoot a hurricane but can you shoot the flood waters?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Lotta goons in this thread ragging on New Orleans as a city. Ironic because New Orleans is one of the best food cities in the USA. It ain’t all Bourbon Street and drinking.

Also, New Orleans has already been abandoned. Most side streets weren’t redone after Katrina and the streets are the worst in the USA. Potholes that will total your car if you drive over it. Or if you’re driving on a flooded street, it will swamp your car as you sink down 1-2 feet.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

new orleans is the best city in america

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Lote posted:

Lotta goons in this thread ragging on New Orleans as a city. Ironic because New Orleans is one of the best food cities in the USA. It ain’t all Bourbon Street and drinking.

we complain about literally everything

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I can't believe new Orleans has information that could lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

visited new orleans for a friends wedding in the spring it was a super dope town, hoping for the best in this particular situation

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Love NOLA. If the storm could wipe out only Bourbon that'd be great.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Main Paineframe posted:

we've already been defying nature to protect New Orleans' economic value for quite a long time. the Mississippi River has been trying to change its course away from New Orleans for decades, and we've built a network of dams and floodgates to prevent it from doing so. if the river control structures fail, New Orleans loses most of its economic value and therefore the country will lose interest in protecting it

it seems like a port without land access would be kinda useless?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gum posted:

it seems like a port without land access would be kinda useless?

new orleans has effectively been an island for a long time anyway. you have to drive on long bridges on all major routes into/out of the city except highway 61 i think

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Believing that New Orleans can be saved from eventually being reclaimed by the ocean is an example of the folly of human hubris.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shifty Nipples posted:

Believing that New Orleans can be saved from eventually being reclaimed by the ocean is an example of the folly of human hubris.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

yes... ha ha ha... yes

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
New Orleans is a very important economic port

*is reclaimed by the sea, further inland a new city becomes the important economic port*

ok well :actually: Neo New Orleans is a very important economic port

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/climate/seawalls-cities-cost-climate-change.html

we spend $600 billion per year on the military. providing protection for cities from flooding is not some sort of impossibility we need to abandon entire cities over.

Lol those prices are just for 2040, before when SLR starts really taking off from West Antarctic and Greenland ice sheet contributions.

NOLA doesn't survive 3 meters of SLR which is already baked in. Get through the stages of grief however you may just don't sit in denial for too long.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
New Orleans is a very important cultural point of pride of America, and here we have is the old slave auction block here as they shipped slaves through here, a very important economic port by the way. Big important history here going on.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

New Orleans is a very important economic port

*is reclaimed by the sea, further inland a new city becomes the important economic port*

ok well :actually: Neo New Orleans is a very important economic port

Neo Orleans

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
im raggin but New Orleans really does have some amazing aesthetics and I'd like to visit it again, the last time I visited was 6 years old but it was very distinct and I remember it well.

shame our politicians don't give a poo poo about America and like money more

no it has to be Neo New Orleans for the joke to work

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

NOLA whips rear end. I visited a couple years ago and Frenchman street alone is worth the trip. Im a dude that listens to metal, some rap/hip hop, and other random poo poo, but I still had a loving ball listening to blues being played live, the bands in the street, everything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DSA hydrologist says this is expected and fairly minor. Lake isn't operating on the same metrics as the river after all.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Living near the ocean is a bad idea. The ocean absolutely wants to kill us all and I cant blame it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

im raggin but New Orleans really does have some amazing aesthetics and I'd like to visit it again, the last time I visited was 6 years old but it was very distinct and I remember it well.

i visited when i was about 8 and the only thing i remember is the smell and the cockroaches

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I can't believe new Orleans has information that could lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Lol those prices are just for 2040, before when SLR starts really taking off from West Antarctic and Greenland ice sheet contributions.

NOLA doesn't survive 3 meters of SLR which is already baked in. Get through the stages of grief however you may just don't sit in denial for too long.

:ok:

According to the Fourth (2017) National Climate Assessment (NCA) of the United States it is very likely sea level will rise between 30 and 130 cm (1.0–4.3 feet) in 2100 compared to the year 2000

new orleans is surrounded by levees and sea walls that are a minimum of 20 feet higher than sea level

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

shame our politicians don't give a poo poo about America and like money more

no it has to be Neo New Orleans for the joke to work

I guess neo just means new in Latin anyways, lol.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Post modern orleans

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

i visited when i was about 8 and the only thing i remember is the smell and the cockroaches

i just remember loud music

all the time

of course this was in the 90s so it probably was in better shape pre-Katrina

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nouveau Neo New Orleans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Spergin Morlock posted:

I guess neo just means new in Latin anyways, lol.

are you saying that i'll be able to dodge hurricanes?

no neola, i'm saying that you won't need to

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Newest orleans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

one weird trick to piss off baton rougeans

tigers hate this!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

:ok:

According to the Fourth (2017) National Climate Assessment (NCA) of the United States it is very likely sea level will rise between 30 and 130 cm (1.0–4.3 feet) in 2100 compared to the year 2000

new orleans is surrounded by levees and sea walls that are a minimum of 20 feet higher than sea level

- Equilibrium SLR isn't reached in 2100
- SLR is one of the places with the largest long tail risk due to uncertainties in ice sheet responses. Ice sheet responses are trending past RCP 8.5 projections in rate of change currently. NCA uses "very likely" for 90% confidence. I'd maybe want to engineer levees against a wider range of uncertainty than 9/10 especially when we have studies like DeConto & Pollard 2016 on marine ice cliff instability.
- SLR compounds storm surge

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Latest batch of river gauge forecasts just came out, still 19.0: https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/forecasts.php?wfo=LIX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Latest batch of river gauge forecasts just came out, still 19.0: https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/forecasts.php?wfo=LIX

seems bad