Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Fantasy players are going to hate this. So maybe it is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

corn on the cop posted:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1149728544026759170

might as well just drop the pretense about caring about your product

this rules

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Good teams win ~80% of the time against bad teams, and win roughly half the time against other good teams. So you are strongly incentivized in this system to sit as many of your most important starters as possible for your hardest games.

This proposal is basically designed to ruin national games.

(it's also not a real desire, and something to hang over the heads of players in CBA negotiations)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kalli posted:

Good teams win ~80% of the time against bad teams, and win roughly half the time against other good teams. So you are strongly incentivized in this system to sit as many of your most important starters as possible for your hardest games.

(it's also not a real desire, and something to hang over the heads of players in CBA negotiations)

Yep. If you think you're not in a position to conceivably win, the smart move would be to use all backups in those games.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Athanatos posted:

This is clearly someone going: "Well, if we have 18 games all the drat records will be broken! How can we stop that!"

nah it's exactly what it seems: the league badly wants two extra games for all the extra money it would generate, and the players are correctly saying a 16 game season already wrecks their bodies, gently caress no, and the league trying to get that sweet sweet cash while getting the players to go along with it

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The NFL is loving stupid and I hope destroys itself through its own bad decisions in my lifetime.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

You are presuming that coaches think like this.

They don't.

Nov 6, 2002

Athanatos posted:

This is clearly someone going: "Well, if we have 18 games all the drat records will be broken! How can we stop that!"

You think the NFL cares more about records than money? Bless your heart.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

if those hard games are in-conference, they generally take on added tiebreaker significance

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ehud posted:

this rules

Hard disagree

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Cancel all preseason games, have two bye weeks for each team, allow expanded rosters, then maybe.

We all bitch about preseason anyways. I’ll trade two real games for four crappy ones.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They'll hate it but will still play.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Cancel all preseason games, have two bye weeks for each team, allow expanded rosters, then maybe.

We all bitch about preseason anyways. I’ll trade two real games for four crappy ones.

Most of the people who would be affected by expanding the season (starters) are barely playing in preseason games to begin with. So it's not really an even exchange, besides the fact that there is value in preseason games which are crucial for nonstarters and guys down the depth chart. I think reducing the number of preseason games by two would be fine though.

In any case, this is all just speculation due to talks regarding the CBA, right? We can bitch more if it actually happens

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

They just need to Git Gud.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I definitely agree four preseason games is terrible. Especially since NFL teams charge full price for them

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

That sounds awful and I hope it happens

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Play posted:

Most of the people who would be affected by expanding the season (starters) are barely playing in preseason games to begin with. So it's not really an even exchange, besides the fact that there is value in preseason games which are crucial for nonstarters and guys down the depth chart. I think reducing the number of preseason games by two would be fine though.

In any case, this is all just speculation due to talks regarding the CBA, right? We can bitch more if it actually happens

If you keep the current schedule for starting real games, you still can have teams scrimmage against each other in August. Not exactly the same, but it would serve a purpose of evaluating those guys. Plus if the roster is expanded, there will not need to be as many cuts.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Trade an 18 game season for no more TNF and stop testing for weed

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kiimo posted:

Hard disagree

I love lovely football

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

You think the NFL cares more about records than money? Bless your heart.

nonono

The NFL is going "More games more money" and the other fat white guy in the room with suspenders is going "the FANS are going to bitch about records and extra games on these coward player bodies"

Hence the limit.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

a neat cape posted:

Trade an 18 game season for no more TNF and stop testing for weed

Drop preseason games and we have a deal

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Play posted:

Yep. If you think you're not in a position to conceivably win, the smart move would be to use all backups in those games.

you think you’re gonna lose anyway, you just play all your backups and concede defeat and get one game out of the way. Tom Brady’s brokedick noodle arm cruises to 12 wins well into his 60s.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Athanatos posted:

Drop preseason games and we have a deal

Don't speak for all of us! I demand a change to the rookie wage scale goddamit. That is my cause du jour

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh my god please do this

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

I love lovely football

Obviously.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That proposal is awesome and coaches should love it, it adds another layer of STRATEGERY for them to have their knob slobbed over

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Big loss for the Jets.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1149753726388920321

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I can't believe the NFL wouldn't take the opportunity of an 18-game schedule to stretch the season further back in August and expand the calendar so it's more NFL more of the year

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

The nfl wants to be as annoying as those fan duel commercials a few seasons ago

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

corn on the cop posted:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1149728544026759170

might as well just drop the pretense about caring about your product

a pro-tanking strategy from the NFL

interesting

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm sorry but you want me to pay for season tickets with a guarantee that one of the best players probably isn't going to play? This is a dumbfuck idea. Just do two bye weeks you turds.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Spoeank posted:

I'm sorry but you want me to pay for season tickets with a guarantee that one of the best players probably isn't going to play? This is a dumbfuck idea. Just do two bye weeks you turds.

Joke’s on you, you pay for preseason tickets now that do exactly that.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Shocking!

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1149771152568594443

Edit: Friday news dump rolls on:

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1149772692687654912

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 12, 2019

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
There was an interesting Athletic article about McDowell, no one is going into specifics but there’s clearly something very odd about his situation – either his ATV injury was worse than described, he’s a complete dick, or some combination thereof.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Silly Burrito posted:

Joke’s on you, you pay for preseason tickets now that do exactly that.

I thought I edited that to just say tickets because you're right. I burn $400 every year on 4 tickets for those stupid 2 preseason games :argh:

Though those are fun games to go to with someone who doesnt know about football because they dont know poo poo about poo poo and dont care that the 23rd string UDFA from southwest northern tech is in at WR

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Raiders have been the halfway house of the NFL for decades. And no one needs a halfway house more than Richie Incognito, so it seems perfect.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

There was an interesting Athletic article about McDowell, no one is going into specifics but there’s clearly something very odd about his situation – either his ATV injury was worse than described, he’s a complete dick, or some combination thereof.

Yeah I read it, I think he's just immature and easily takes in bad influences. That whole thing about his mom being loudly and vocally opposed to him attending school in Michigan because she felt he wasn't mature enough to remain among his high school friends was pretty telling. As was his bad relationship with his coaches and rumors of him being insanely lazy and not practicing. Him getting busted driving drunk twice, causing a commotion at a strip club or whatever and then attacking a police officer (love his constant drunken screeching about seeing the cop's "supervisor" btw") simply confirms it. Ge wasn't ready for any of this and probably had a bit too much natural athleticism for his own good, in the sense that he never had that come to jesus moment when he realized that a career in the NFL requires an ungodly amount of work and commitment.

BTW training camp starts next Sunday! So just about one more week and there will be football going on, even if it isn't real football

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

eat the rich
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1149770572521512960

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Raiders lovely line gets worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Richie Incognito shouldn’t be on an NFL roster.