Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

edit: nvm, misread

For content, the RTX2070S has been nice so far but I do feel like kind of a sucker for not just buying a 1080ti two years ago. For a few hundred more I could have had this performance for years already :v:

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sininu posted:

How important is the VirtualLink USB connector for VR? I would love to get a headset sometime in the future so it's kind of a thing for me. MSI triple fan design 2070S doesn't have it for some reason.

SCheeseman mostly covered it, but in case you care about the specifics it's a modification of the USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode. USB-C cables have four high-speed pairs and two low-speed pairs normally. When using DisplayPort Alt Mode two or four of the high speed pairs will carry the DisplayPort signal, but this means that if you need all four lanes you don't have anything left for high speed USB. You still get USB 2.0 speeds on the low speed pairs, but you can't use the higher speed modes.

VirtualLink respecifies the low speed pairs as high speed, allowing four lanes of DisplayPort plus one channel of USB 3.x. It's nothing more than that, so if it ever catches on with headsets there definitely will be inexpensive dongles.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

edit: nvm, misread

For content, the RTX2070S has been nice so far but I do feel like kind of a sucker for not just buying a 1080ti two years ago. For a few hundred more I could have had this performance for years already :v:

But :catdrugs:!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:catdrugs:!

Can't wait to play Control at glorious 30fps, the madmen at Remedy are putting RT reflections, RT shadows and RT global illumination in one game :unsmigghh:

I'll probably settle for just enabling the reflections, SSR is by far the most distracting hack IMO.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oh man, is that Control? I might to enable it on my Pascal card to see how mind-blowing the one frame is.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Shadows and maybe reflections (depends on if game has the number of surfaces to make it legit interesting/useful) are likely to be the only two things worth it. I've yet to see a game (not that there's that many out there with it) demonstrate Global Illumination as anything worthwhile the massive FPS hit, even if all you want is 60FPS. Tho I guess theoretically an artsy game could come up with something cool that utilizes it...if it aimed for that small niche of gamers that is.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

From what I've seen of Exodus' GI implementation, GI makes lighting look much more natural in dynamic settings... but "more natural" mostly means "can't see poo poo" because our monitors don't have anywhere near the contrast range necessary to convey natural lighting in a way we perceive as realistic without serious help from fake lighting.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That sounds like a problem that could be worked around by tweaking auto-exposure parameters, but with GI being tacked on late in development it probably didn't get the fine tuning it needed.

I'm not convinced that screen-space RTGI approaches like Metro used are the best idea. The DDGI technique that Nvidia proposed is a lot more compelling since the rays-per-frame can be set almost arbitrarily low without causing noise or splotches in the image, it always provides a smooth and stable result and the inaccuracy is just in how long it takes to respond to changes in the scene, with more rays obviously converging faster. For a GI system that only takes a dynamic sun/moon into account the ray count could be set extremely low, since the scene lighting changes slowly anyway.

The GDC talk is worth a watch, the author explains it in a pretty accessible way.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The other disadvantage to the probe approach is that the resolution of the GI is limited by the density of the probes. The per-pixel approach has more refined higher frequency detail, so the probes are more reliant on screen space AO to make up for it.

Still a pretty good trade-off if your main goal is to capture the general feel of the lighting in a space (and no worse than current baked probes).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That's true, you still need another technique to capture the tiny details. SSAO is probably Good Enough at that scale but a higher quality alternative would be to use per-pixel raytraced ambient occlusion (much cheaper than RTGI) then apply the very fine RTAO to the coarse DDGI lighting.

edit: Another factor for quality is that the probe method can easily simulate infinite bounces by recursively sampling data from the previous frame, but AFAIK the per-pixel method is practically limited to 1 bounce for performance.

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 12, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

That was pretty neat. I gotta say, I'm deffo impressed that it fixes poo poo like shadow/light leaking...that's been with games since like...forever. Deffo hope to see games jump on this moreso rather than what Metro did, yeah.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 12, 2019

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Their anti-leaking trick can be applied to normal pre-baked probes as well, it just happens to be especially useful in conjunction with their dynamic probes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

Nice, I got it working in ReShade pretty easily. I have no way to validate that the results match AMDs driver implementation but plugging it into Doom with the native sharpening turned off improves the image a lot.

If anyone wants it:
(a) Download ffx_a.h and ffx_cas.h from the FidelityFX repo: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Effects/FidelityFX/tree/master/FFX_CAS/ffx-cas-headers
(b) Save my wrapper as FidelityFX_CAS.fx: https://pastebin.com/yyTqn7Xh
(c) Put all three files in your ReShade shader folder, tweak Sharpness to your liking

Tried it, got this error. When you said "extract these", did you mean JUST those, or did I need to grab some other files, or is it assuming a newer version of Reshade than I have? (Using hacked reshade, because FFXIV is an MMO and therefore the thing that disables the thing is inconvenient.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: Just do what Riflen said, there's no point using my quick and dirty port now that McFly has made a streamlined version.

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 13, 2019

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

Shadows and maybe reflections (depends on if game has the number of surfaces to make it legit interesting/useful) are likely to be the only two things worth it. I've yet to see a game (not that there's that many out there with it) demonstrate Global Illumination as anything worthwhile the massive FPS hit, even if all you want is 60FPS. Tho I guess theoretically an artsy game could come up with something cool that utilizes it...if it aimed for that small niche of gamers that is.

I feel like the intersection of people into artsy games and people who are willing/able to invest in high end computer hardware is pretty small.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Tried it, got this error. When you said "extract these", did you mean JUST those, or did I need to grab some other files, or is it assuming a newer version of Reshade than I have? (Using hacked reshade, because FFXIV is an MMO and therefore the thing that disables the thing is inconvenient.)

Use this version instead.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How much better at 1440p is a 2070 Super than a 1070GTX? I know we are basically talking 2+ generations of video cards, but I'm building an entirely new rig with a 3900x in it, and I was going to carry over my 1070 for a year until the next gen is fully released. However, I'm not sure of the performance I'll see on my new rig with the 1070. I'm upgrading from a 3570k to a 3900x, so I'm assuming I'll have some performance increase.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

:thunk:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Zotix posted:

How much better at 1440p is a 2070 Super than a 1070GTX? I know we are basically talking 2+ generations of video cards, but I'm building an entirely new rig with a 3900x in it, and I was going to carry over my 1070 for a year until the next gen is fully released. However, I'm not sure of the performance I'll see on my new rig with the 1070. I'm upgrading from a 3570k to a 3900x, so I'm assuming I'll have some performance increase.
They're kinda more like one generation apart, but it's a substantial jump in the worst cases: https://www.techspot.com/review/1865-geforce-rtx-super/

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So if I bought a 2070 Super, and sold my 1070, it seems like I could get between maybe $170-225? Why would someone want to buy an aging card at such a price point midway through 2019?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Bitcoiners ruin everything, that's why.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zotix posted:

So if I bought a 2070 Super, and sold my 1070, it seems like I could get between maybe $170-225? Why would someone want to buy an aging card at such a price point midway through 2019?

The $10 differentiation between product tiers means retailers only need to offer a slight discount on outdated goods to find a buyer, so PC components don't depreciate anywhere near what they should, so anything even somewhat below the marginal discounts offered seems like a good deal.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Turing basically had zero price/performance gains the top end and only marginal gains in the upper mid range. The 1070 is slightly more powerful that a 1660 Ti, and those currently start around $260 for the budget models. Compared to a mid-range 1660 Ti, a decent used 1070 at those prices is getting you the same performance at a 25-40% discount, minus the warranty (unless there's some time left on the 3-year transferable warranty). Consider that cards mostly have pretty good endurance these and that you can just strap on some case fans if they fail, that's a pretty decent deal!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I guess I'll put my new rig together completely, and then see if I really need to upgrade from my 1070 at 1440p right now, or if I can wait for Ampere cards next year.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Zotix posted:

I guess I'll put my new rig together completely, and then see if I really need to upgrade from my 1070 at 1440p right now, or if I can wait for Ampere cards next year.

You’ll definitely see a boost but I was gaming AC odyssey among other titles at 50-60 FPS on 1440 at most settings maxed with a 1070 and i7-6700k. Your CPU will be a huge upgrade.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I just checked the length of that triple fan MSI model and it turns out to be 1.5mm too long for my Meshify C case. :(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I was going to go for that MSI triple fan model but also had to pass because it won't fit in my Define C. MSI really screwed up by only offering a basic 2fan/2slot model and a gigantic 3fan/3slot model that won't fit in all cases, with no 2fan/3slot like the old Gaming X design inbetween.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Another reason I'm unhappy about it is because it's one of the very few more sensibly priced options in Estonia currently. EVGA and ASUS prices are ludicrous. Gigabyte is an option but I'm not sure about their RMA process and cooler. How is their fat GAMING cooler like for noise and performance? I'll go look for 2080 reviews with that cooler I guess.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N207SGAMING-OC-8GC#kf
Crazy how MSI triple fan card is 330mm while this one is 286.5mm long.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sininu posted:

I just checked the length of that triple fan MSI model and it turns out to be 1.5mm too long for my Meshify C case. :(

repiv posted:

I was going to go for that MSI triple fan model but also had to pass because it won't fit in my Define C. MSI really screwed up by only offering a basic 2fan/2slot model and a gigantic 3fan/3slot model that won't fit in all cases, with no 2fan/3slot like the old Gaming X design inbetween.

Is that based on clearance with an intake fan installed? Switching to a low-profile fan for the bottom intake would get you an extra 10mm of clearance!.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Are there usually any Prime Day deals on GPUs?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Sininu posted:

How is their fat GAMING cooler like for noise and performance? I'll go look for 2080 reviews with that cooler I guess.

35.8 dBa for the Gaming OC compared to the 36.7 on the MSI Gaming Trio, the latter being "one of the quietest cards" that reviewer ever tested (different testing environments from two separate reviews though).

Gigabyte review (10:50 for Acoustics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QDqNJYBX2U&t=650s

MSI Gaming Trio (7:20 for Acoustics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aKdH4kpkTU&t=440s

I am a bit confused by the MSI chart showing 32 dBa when idling, I assumed the Gaming Trio X also had fan stop (the Gigabyte Gaming OC has, looking at the 0.0 dBa when idle).

The MSI is out for me as well due to its length of 328mm.
Size is not everything, guys.

The Gaming OC is also significantly cheaper (EUR 529,00 vs. EUR 619,00) and I don't see that big of a performance gap on paper that would justify that kind of markup.
Noise would be tipping the scale, but they are close enough to go with the better deal here.

Anyhow, neither of them is actually available before 7/20, so let's wait how things shake out...

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 13, 2019

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stickman posted:

Is that based on clearance with an intake fan installed? Switching to a low-profile fan for the bottom intake would get you an extra 10mm of clearance!.

Even that wouldn't be enough, the Define C has 315mm of GPU space with a normal fan, so even shaving 10mm off the fan wouldn't be enough for a 330mm card. That MSI is just absurdly long.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

mcbexx posted:

Anyhow, neither of them is actually available before 7/20, so let's wait how things shake out...
Oh, where did you see that? I guess I'll wait a week and a half then.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

repiv posted:

Even that wouldn't be enough, the Define C has 315mm of GPU space with a normal fan, so even shaving 10mm off the fan wouldn't be enough for a 330mm card. That MSI is just absurdly long.

Is there a way to make room by modifying the case? I had to saw off some hard drive holders to fit a Asus 1080 into Define R3.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sorbus posted:

Is there a way to make room by modifying the case? I had to saw off some hard drive holders to fit a Asus 1080 into Define R3.

It would fit with no intake fan in the front, but removing all direct airflow to the GPU in order to fit a better GPU cooler defeats the whole point.

I ended up just getting the EVGA XC ULTRA, which is short (270mm) but thicc (3 slots).

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 13, 2019

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Hmm Radeon VII looks to be discontinued. If they can firesale it it'd be a boss pro GPU...Vega FE kicked a lot of rear end for $400 in rendering.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

iastudent posted:

Are there usually any Prime Day deals on GPUs?

Seconding this... I'm considering getting the Amazon Visa for the $80 off and then flipping my 1080 for a 2070S

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Seconding this... I'm considering getting the Amazon Visa for the $80 off and then flipping my 1080 for a 2070S

Is the $80 only for new customers? I've had an Amazon Visa for years and didn't see anything on my feed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

iastudent posted:

Is the $80 only for new customers? I've had an Amazon Visa for years and didn't see anything on my feed.

I assume so. Whenever I check out, it tells me I should get an Amazon Visa to get 80 dollars off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Sininu posted:

Oh, where did you see that? I guess I'll wait a week and a half then.

That's what the etailers over here at least say. Might be even longer + supply issues once they are out I assume.