Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
When I went to Disney World during spring, my wife put more planning into our trip than the Normandy landing. I don’t think we ever waited in line more than a few minutes. She did her research, and at one point we split up with our kids and she gave me step by step directions that went something like this:

“Go to the right hand gate and wait with the masses. When the gate opens, stay to the right and don’t worry. At the fork, the slovenly horde will go left and cram their corpulent bodies into the Snow White ride. You will go right and have half the park to yourself for a while.”

And she was right! I got on a coaster with my kid and we rode it six times without having to get out of the car before we got bored and went elsewhere.

Planning can make the difference between a good day at Disney and a sweaty sun-baked hell-queue. Eat lunch early, do the busy stuff while others eat. Use FastPass strategically, and go on a less busy day.

I’d still rather drink paint thinner than go back but drat if you’ll ever see that kind of joy on your kids’ faces again. Disney is very good at making you happy to give them all your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

This is so astonishingly cringe. $200 for some plasticky plumbing fixtures from Home Depot and high-school drama club level performances. Tiny kid me would eat it right up, but to see a room full of grown-rear end adults...

Everything at Disney has this weird feel and subtext, it's like you're another head in a huge herd of dairy cows, except with teats full of money instead of milk. All they do is hook you up to machine after machine to suck more out.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I like how they made it feel like some lovely lightsaber assembly line, with half a dozen idiots at identical stations following the instructions of a supervisor. It really feels so magical.

And why isn't the dude wearing, like, a Jedi robe or a resistance outfit or something recognizable?

Angry Salami fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 12, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Because Disney didn't understand what they bought

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

AlternateAccount posted:

This is so astonishingly cringe. $200 for some plasticky plumbing fixtures from Home Depot and high-school drama club level performances. Tiny kid me would eat it right up, but to see a room full of grown-rear end adults...

For $200 I was expecting something, well, more. Until that cringy video, I was thinking they'd choose a particular hilt ranging from all the ones in the franchise, pick the color and any other minor customizations and get some sort of semi-personalized show of their saber getting crafted. I wasn't expecting 'here's your tray of parts you put together. It makes me wonder if many of the complaints of the sabers breaking isn't from defective lightsabers but more from trusting people to put the things together. I also was expecting them to give people something more durable to carry them around with instead of a plasticanvas bag which isn't that conducive to getting bounced around at a theme park.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its important to compare to the wand shop in Harry Potter which is both a show in its own right that is itself a moment from the setting as well as well as an utterly devious sales pitch to one unlucky parent in the crowd.

This is Disney as theyve treated Star Wars so far, they think its all slop and all that matters is the pour fresh buckets in front of the fans.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's confusing as hell, they decided to create a whole part of the park not based of the locales of the OT, but the ST then it's based of some location we've never seen and probably won't ever see? Why would I want to go to that? It's an area that has nothing that's attached to anyone save for a couple ship that are parked outside that you can't enter.

Also I think the dumbest part of the whole area in Disneyland is that there's a single ride and everything else is just a store where you can buy stuff. I mean, I understand having a bunch of Star Wars merch to sell in themed stores... but people go to theme parks primarily for the rides. Why isn't there 4 or 5 rides to enjoy? I mean poo poo, give me some Podracing, maybe group 4v4 TIE Fighter and X-Wing battles, the loving trench run.

And don't even start with some bullshit about "building the lightsaber" is an experience because I saw video of that lame poo poo and it looks awful. Also why isn't the droid building thing in a giant Sandcrawler?

Well done Disney.

luv 2 go 2 theme parks and listen 2 lectures, lol

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's not even Robot David Tennant.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Angry Salami posted:

I like how they made it feel like some lovely lightsaber assembly line, with half a dozen idiots at identical stations following the instructions of a supervisor. It really feels so magical.

And why isn't the dude wearing, like, a Jedi robe or a resistance outfit or something recognizable?

disney could have made jedi bullshit into a full on pseudo religion with monks and a retreat and everything instead all they could think of was $toys$

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ammanas posted:

disney could have made jedi bullshit into a full on pseudo religion with monks and a retreat and everything instead all they could think of was $toys$

To briefly play Devil's Advocate, the Star Wars franchise has been a merchandising juggernaut when it comes to the toys.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Nothing says "sacred ancient weapon made by magical space wizards" like "clumsily built by awkward nerds in a space garage"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To borrow from the CD prequel chat school of analysis, it's actually a brilliant narrative strategy used to subtly underscore the folly, hollow ideology, and overall worthlessness of the Jedi

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The old Kenner toys were the absolute best

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To have the lightsaber building experience reduced to a shabby commercial exercise is already genius. But the decision to have the lightsabers be of shoddy construction and frequently break on top of that? A stroke of meta-narrative brilliance that could have only been a suggestion from lucas himself

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

No Mods No Masters posted:

To have the lightsaber building experience reduced to a shabby commercial exercise is already genius. But the decision to have the lightsabers be of shoddy construction and frequently break on top of that? A stroke of meta-narrative brilliance that could have only been a suggestion from lucas himself

No part of the Star Wars experience at any level can fail to be disappointing. Anything in the films, the marketing, the toys, the theme park, anything that's executed in a competent and satisfactory way would demonstrate the lack of same in all other aspects, and this house of cards would collapse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s a video of someone slamming the poo poo out to them and it took the biggest hit to snap the blade off. The actual lightsaber was fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FUc02In2r8

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I assume that lightsabers breaking is explained in the EU.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Every time a lightsaber breaks in the park pablo has to invent an ex post facto justification for it

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

According to wookieepedia the events in the park are set between TLJ and TROS so I assume after december they will tear the whole thing down anyway

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ingmar terdman posted:

According to wookieepedia the events in the park are set between TLJ and TROS so I assume after december they will tear the whole thing down anyway

Is it interesting how they put so much into the park being partially taken over by the First Order. If the First Order is taken down in TROS, will they change that aspect? Will it always just be this weird time capsule from between TLJ and TROS? Or will the First Order survive TROS?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ingmar terdman posted:

Disney will finally have enough money to build their own Death Star and wipe out the Earth.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

YaketySass posted:

Disney will finally have enough money to build their own Death Star and wipe out the Earth.

Pretty low ROI in blowing up the earth.

Almost as low as the Lion King remake.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

High Lord Elbow posted:

Pretty low ROI in blowing up the earth.

but the experience

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So the Death Star is some hotel now with a monorail?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harry Potter land is permanently stuck during the last movie with the gringots ride, and also sometime before that with the Hogwarts ride.

I’d be cool if they alternated between the series. You can have a day when Vader and storm troopers show up, or a day where Darth Maul shows up. Just to change it up a little.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Apparently when you do the lightsaber thing theres some special random black lightsaber crystals that they only put out a certain number of each hour/day so you're supposed to feel special or whatever when you find a rare black one but turns out nerds are just going around shining flashlights into all the containers until they find the rare ones and ebaying them.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Harry Potter land is permanently stuck during the last movie with the gringots ride, and also sometime before that with the Hogwarts ride.

I’d be cool if they alternated between the series. You can have a day when Vader and storm troopers show up, or a day where Darth Maul shows up. Just to change it up a little.

Had they gone Tatooine/Jakku, they could have done that. They didn't, so lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m glad they didn’t. It makes those who are so
Salty over a movie so much more saltier lol.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The line through the old star tours sounds better than this whole place.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

banned from Starbucks posted:

Apparently when you do the lightsaber thing theres some special random black lightsaber crystals that they only put out a certain number of each hour/day so you're supposed to feel special or whatever when you find a rare black one but turns out nerds are just going around shining flashlights into all the containers until they find the rare ones and ebaying them.

Good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I looked up the video and the rare black crystal doesn’t actually change the color or sound of the blade it’s literally just a cosmetic thing that you never see once you put the saber together.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

I’m glad they didn’t. It makes those who are so
Salty over a movie so much more saltier lol.

You're glad they didn't do the thing that would enable them to do the exact thing you suggested?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Is it interesting how they put so much into the park being partially taken over by the First Order. If the First Order is taken down in TROS, will they change that aspect? Will it always just be this weird time capsule from between TLJ and TROS? Or will the First Order survive TROS?

Seems possible to swap some things out to make a "new season". And it feels very star wars to say "look fans, slight cosmetic changes, come buy it" but this would have worked better between 7 and 8 and 8 and 9. I doubt they are going to pivot toward the Mando show.

But I think think bottom line is "gently caress you, we know you're going to pose in front of the new x-wing even if it's not the one you grew up with". But do they even have guys walking around as Vader etc? Even they wouldn't be dumb enough to just expect Kylo to be the big draw forever.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hell, even Kylo would rather pose with Vader than himself.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The characters walking around so far include Rey, Chewbacca, Kylo, stormtroopers and First Order officers. That’s pretty much it, I believe.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Don't they also have some blue-haired lady who is a Resistance agent that the park visitors are supposed to care about, too?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Can't remember if Trevorrow's consolation prize got mentioned in here or one of the other threads

https://www.slashfilm.com/colin-trevorrow-galaxys-edge/

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If that’s true, which I don’t doubt, nobody on YouTube seems to have bothered to record her, or talk about her in any way. Lol.

Is Aurra Sing still alive? I like her. Put her in Star Wars land.

E: I see the blue haired lady. She’s the lead character in a stunt show that they’ll do in the land now and then.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 13, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bogus Adventure posted:

Don't they also have some blue-haired lady who is a Resistance agent that the park visitors are supposed to care about, too?

Yeah, she was apparently created for the park and not a single person gives a poo poo. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, she was apparently created for the park and not a single person gives a poo poo. lol

lmao