Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I watched Dragon Inn last night and while dope as hell, a part of me kinda wants to see a remake of it with modern action choreography. But drat do I love movies with a simple premise that build a whole ton of tension and action off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
There's always New Dragon Gate Inn which, while not modern, has a more "early 90s Donnie Yen movie" thing going for it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Dragon Inn as good as A Touch of Zen?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dragon Gate Inn is a great film, it's not God Tier like A Touch of Zen, but it's a lot of fun and I highly recommend if you liked Zen. It also opens up with a prologue that contextualizes the historic times of both films, that will sort of make you wish that you watched it before A Touch of Zen.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A touch of zen is prob my #2 movie of all time so I guess I’ll check this out then

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I didn’t know the criterion channel had movies that weren’t criterion’s? Toddler on the Roof isn’t a criterion right? Not that I’m complaining one of my favorite movies of all time

Yeah for a while they were showing Last Hurrah for Chivalry which I don’t think ever got a criterion release.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen are pretty different films but both masterpieces in their own way. And as far as I’ve seen, every King Hu movie is great. The Fat of Lee Khan is a must watch for Dragon Inn fans. Very similar and just about as good, with more awesome women in the main cast. There’s a new restoration that’s been playing some theaters this year and Film Movement will have a blu-ray out in a few weeks. Kino put out Legend of the Mountain recently which is lighter on action but a masterpiece on par with his best and probably the greatest showing of King Hu’s incredible nature photography. Raining in the Mountain is also worth tracking down it’s a very fun Buddhist heist/comedy.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah for a while they were showing Last Hurrah for Chivalry which I don’t think ever got a criterion release.

Eureka put it out two weeks ago in a set with Hand of Death for anyone who wants it and can play region B.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any word on if Come Drink With Me is getting a proper release?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is Dragon Inn as good as A Touch of Zen?

No but it has way more moments where I yelled “holy poo poo” out loud and a better villain. It’s a stone cold classic for sure. Also seeing Chun Shi play two dead opposite characters is fun, though tbf Touch of Zen is where he’s playing against type

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m going to watch it then thanks all. I also watched Night of the Living Dead yesterday after somehow never seeing it and liked it a lot. I think my favorite thing about the Criterion Line and Channel is seeking out the cult movies that are recognized as them. Stuff like Repo Man, Crumb, Naked Lunch etc etc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Check out Eating Raoul if it's on the channel.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Check out Eating Raoul if it's on the channel.

Super co-sign, this movie rules.

I watched Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice last night before it gets removed and I'd like to check out The Last Emperor before that leaves. I saw Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm the other night, so I'm on an epic kick.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Eating Raoul is one of my favs, please all must watch.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Any good horror on the streaming service? I’d search there, but we all know their engine is kinda dogshit and I’d like to chase this Midsommar kick.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Any good horror on the streaming service? I’d search there, but we all know their engine is kinda dogshit and I’d like to chase this Midsommar kick.

Some obvious ones and not-so-obvious ones:

The Brood
Cure
Don't Look Now
House
La main du Diable
Night of the Living Dead
Scanners
Sisters
Tokaido Yotsuya kaidan
Vampyr
Wicker Man

I've not seen Midsommar yet, but from what I know about it the last two would be especially good follow-ups if you haven't seen either.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That’s a pretty good list. Though if you’re in the mood horror I’d spring for a 30 day Shudder subscription because their library is great

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Any of y'all have the Channel working on Kodi? I haven't figured out a way to stream to it yet.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Saw Solaris the other day at my local theater, but this is the only place I can think of to talk about it.

I liked it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Saw Solaris the other day at my local theater, but this is the only place I can think of to talk about it.

I liked it.

Have you seen Stalker?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Boywhiz88 posted:

I liked it.

Solaris is real fuckin good yo. Love that criterion blu

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

I liked it.

Watch the remake too, it’s great

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Almost had a slight heart attack when I tried taking Police Story out of the case and the whole inner part separated from the case. Haven't seen an o-ring like that before.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

this year's Half Price Books coupon week has been crazy. Usually it's pretty slim pickings for Criterions, I just gotta get whatever weird thing they have. Like Modern Times of The Double Life of Vernoique. But so far I've picked up Cronos, Tokyo Drifter and Kagemusha. And I'm planning to go back tomorrow and Sunday for High and Low and Branded To Kill

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Got the High and Low blu for 10 at a local shop. I've never watched it but I'm excited.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You're in for a treat.

I wish my HPB had Criterions. Guess the people in the surrounding area don't trade them in. Meanwhile at the Bookmans by my house, I walked in right after an employee traded in his entire collection one day and got Ran and...I don't even remember what the other was for $20 total.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Double Life of Veronique is great, you're in for a treat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hope and vaseline posted:

Double Life of Veronique is great, you're in for a treat.

yeah, I liked it. very yellow

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hah, really?
I've always dreamed of that getting a Criterion release. :allears:

Though the one I have in the big wooden box is pretty fun.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Wicker Man could happen since Criterion has a new StudioCanal deal - Fassbinder's Lola (in The BRD Trilogy) is the first title to return.

Also, I watched all of War and Peace last weekend and it was incredible. Anyone on the fence about getting it during the sale needs to grab it. Already at the top of my list for films I've seen this year. It has the same sort of epic-ness and experimental audacity of Abel Gance's Napoleon, while having the intimacy of a Tarkovsky at times. Even at nearly eight hours long, it's one incredible scene after another. There's a scene that's just dialogue, but it's so gorgeously photographed with Andrei and Pierre walking in the woods. Or battle scenes looking terrifying realistic. It even has layered narration sort of like Dune with an omniscient narrator, but also characters narrating their inner thoughts. There's even moments with characters speaking French and it shifting into Russian.

And I picked up more last week including Police Story, Short Cuts, and Hedwig. Going to do a video tomorrow on recommendations...

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Figured it'd look better on the wall than folded up in the box.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That's awesome.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I actually double dipped on Police Story. I had the old Shout release...

And this is by far the superior version. Like, the Shout version looked terrible and soft, and I thought it was just the film. But the Criterion actually approaches looking good for a lot of the film and it feels like this release is at a point where all the issues are just flaws inherent to the source... like the strong distortion in a lot of shots.

Only one thing to note - there's one scene that did not age well, but it's not mean spirited, just not the approach we would take today.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like #1000 and/or the 2019 big box might have been leaked.

No one here will be disappointed.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Egbert Souse posted:

Do tell

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It the fabled Kurosawa set?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Freddy Got Fingered?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Egbert Souse posted:

#1000 is Godzilla Final Wars?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's an 8k restored UHD of the drunk Orson Welles commercial.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ah.

https://twitter.com/daikaiju313/status/1150156753847431168

Edit: I assume #1000 is something different, but this box set is a definite purchase for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

But seriously, once they hit 1,000 that's it, right? They've done the 1,000 best movies and the collection is complete?