Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I caught Serra trying to dig through the eggcrates to the little space under her food bowl to nest up.

There is now an overturned ramekin in that space blocking her. For now.

:derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm sorry

(I'm not sorry)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

DarkHorse posted:

I'm sorry

(I'm not sorry)

It’s the bird version of a crop circle!

Crop. That’s a bird word too.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

DarkHorse posted:

I'm sorry

(I'm not sorry)

so many lovely feathers

what a loss

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DarkHorse posted:

I'm sorry

(I'm not sorry)

Pinfeathers are harder on the bird than the owner.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

DarkHorse posted:

I'm sorry

(I'm not sorry)

I don't underst- oh.

(omg what a super cute parrotlet ;w; tell me all about parrotlets)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

I'm sorry

(I'm not sorry)

eggboi!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I don't underst- oh.

That's a Quaker, unless I'm missing :thejoke:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I don't underst- oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-b5DtyXEs

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

My God, I thought this was the lady I briefly dated, but her green quaker that sings, "Bacon Bacon Pancakes" has a different name starting with "M."

:stare:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

My God, I thought this was the lady I briefly dated, but her green quaker that sings, "Bacon Bacon Pancakes" has a different name starting with "M."

you dated her?? Thats so cool!! My birds LOVE that little Quaker singing his heart out about bacon lol

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Today: Ozzy cried at me. I looked over at him and said to him, "What? You want to go to bed? You can just go to bed. Sera has." He looked at me hard and then climbed into the cage and looked at me expectantly.

I went to tuck the birds in. He was quite pleased, because this was what he wanted. Birds: literal babies.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Disco Salmon posted:

you dated her?? Thats so cool!! My birds LOVE that little Quaker singing his heart out about bacon lol

Not that actual person, but I did date someone who sounded like that lady with a green Quaker whose name started with an "M."

It was the textbook definition of, "It's Complicated" and very promptly exploded in my face. As those things do. :downs:

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

RoboRodent posted:

Today: Ozzy cried at me. I looked over at him and said to him, "What? You want to go to bed? You can just go to bed. Sera has." He looked at me hard and then climbed into the cage and looked at me expectantly.

I went to tuck the birds in. He was quite pleased, because this was what he wanted. Birds: literal babies.

Don't birds usually sleep standing? How do you tuck in a bird

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Kurnugia posted:

It mostly involves elaborate floofing of their cage cover.

:3:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
My sister's Grey has a full on bedtime routine, which must be performed in the right order. Everyone has to wave and say goodnight in the right order and then he gets beak kisses from his favourite person in two different locations before the covers go on.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

terra also has a bedtime routine! My girlfriend says goodnight and gives her a scritch, then she gets taken downstairs from our office where we hang out in the evening and put on top of her cage. I offer her a snack of either dried mealworms or pumpkin seeds and in the cage she goes to eat her bedtime snack. We have blackout curtains in her room so I close those to let her know it's sleep time, then tell her goodnight and close the door!

ever since we started this routine she's never had a night fright and always settles down pretty much immediately! she's a good bird :3:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Oh yeah Gandalf gets a bedtime snack, but sometimes he pretends to reject it and dumps it on the floor. But it's actually a secret plan to have a pre breakfast snack if he wakes up early :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

We have blackout curtains too! I close them about an hour before bedtime, which is a bit weird in the middle of summer when it's broad daylight, but I think it helps the birds get into a sleepy nighttime kind of mood. Covers go on, and as I'm leaving the room, I say goodnight to each of them in exactly the same way every night. I think they really appreciate a stable, predictable, boring routine at bedtime - its soothing :)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

It mostly involves elaborate floofing of their cage cover.

:3:

It's this. Close all the doors, cover the cage, "good night, good night, I love you, good night," make smoochies at them. It's apparently really important, and he can't possibly settle in for the night without it. Sera used to insist upon it too, but he seems to have grown out of the need for it. Most of the time, anyway.

In the morning, I uncover them with a similar sort of fanfare and I get lots of happy chirping.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm very glad we're not the only crazies who tuck in their birds and have a bed time routine. We've had friends over and Ms Cookies and I will stop what we're doing while entertaining and say "Time to tuck in the boyssssss" and the reactions will range from ".....the gently caress?" to "awwwwwwwwwwwwwww". Or having to hop off PS4 for a round to go tuck in the boys and getting confused party chat.

I mean.... ya gotta say g'night to the boys and give em their scritches and treats and cover the cages as they fluff up on their favorite perches.

Ya gotta.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Yeah, we have a bedtime routine here. About 20 mins before bedtime, they get a treat...usually Nutriberries or a bite of toast or something...it depends.

Both Cricket and Trevor will start chirping "Sweet Birdie Dreams" at me about 6-6:15 pm....so we (they and I ) go to put their dinner/water splash/dipping bowls in the dishwasher, and we talk about feeding the kitties. Kitties get crunchies and wet food, and birdies help with that (In their own way of course). They start preening and fluffing when I start the story... "The sun is going down, and all the daytime birdies are off to go to sleep...." I rarely see them wanting to be up past 7 tho..usually 6:45 is the latest cos they are getting overtired.

We go back in the computer room, and start closing the curtains, then getting the covers out for cages and replacing the paper towels inside the cages and the paper under the cages. Then we start our bedtime story, with me ending it by letting them know what tomorrow will bring...sometimes its garbage day so they get to help with the garbage...or its a weekend day and my husband will be home all day, or even if the next day we are going on a car ride to get toes clipped. They seem to do better when I tell them in advance...but it might just be me projecting that...not sure.

After the story is done, Cricket goes on her outside perch to wait for me, and I kiss Trevor goodnight and make sure he's in his spot (right around his squiddy or his not fuzzy tent) before I put the cover over him. He yells for a bit but intersperses kisses and night nights in between. Cricket gets a few mins of "us" time, and then gets kisses from me and my husband before setting her on her cage door and seeing if she wants to put herself to bed, or if hse wants to be tucked in. Lately, she has been wanting to be tucked in, so I place her in her cage next to her squiddy, and she blows me kisses, says"Bye Baby Birdie" and settles in as I cover her up completely.

We stay in the computer room till we go to bed with the lights low and then when we go to bed, I say goodnight to them again, and listen to sleepy mumbles from Cricket, and Trevor whispering about what a good bird I am and blowing kisses etc...always very whispery lol Then he yells for 10 seconds after I shut the door then silence till I see them at 8 the next morning when they start announcing "HEY Don't forget me...its breakfast time!!"

It's funny...people on my guild discord that I am with all laugh about me not having kids cos OBVIOUSLY I do :P

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
So far, the eggs crates seemed to be doing their job. Serra wasn't able to go into hardcore nest mode, and was acting like normal.

Today when I got up, I went to go get her and spend my morning with her. That's our normal routine. I lay in bed waiting for my legs to stop cramping while she climbs around.

Well, today, she was being VERY weird. Sometimes she might dive into a pillow or briefly climb under the cover. Today, she was absolutely frantic about it -

I let her explore, but I don't let her play nesting time. I kept yanking her out, and she was immediately burrowing back into pillows and covers. It was odd.

Then -

SHE LAID AN EGG ON ME, AGAIN!!! THIS IS THE THIRD TIME!!!

She couldn't make a place in her cage to lay in her cage, so she just did it the second she got out. This behaviour isn't only not encouraged, it's actively discouraged.

I really don't want to put her on hormone blockers/bird birth control/whatever. But she is absolutely determined to crank out eggs at a rapid pace.

Look at how smug she is -

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Eat the eggs, Captain Log.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

How are you keeping her calcium up Captain Log? I'd be super worried about her getting eggbound at this pace. I'd consider hormones just for that reason.

I may need to start implementing more of a nighttime routine for my birds. Now that they have their own room again (never going to do a 1 bedroom again, they need their own space as much as I do), they have some cool down time where I leave them to run about for a bit before it's time to get covered. They don't cutely let me know they want to get put up for the night either. They start fussing kind of like toddlers do where they want to run and snuggle and play, but also they want to be in their cage and sleeping. They get a few times of being put up or with me, and then it's bed time. It's very cute in the sense that they are fighting being sleepy.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pinto will gently nibble my ear to let me know he wants back into his cage :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Shirec posted:

How are you keeping her calcium up Captain Log? I'd be super worried about her getting eggbound at this pace. I'd consider hormones just for that reason.

I may need to start implementing more of a nighttime routine for my birds. Now that they have their own room again (never going to do a 1 bedroom again, they need their own space as much as I do), they have some cool down time where I leave them to run about for a bit before it's time to get covered. They don't cutely let me know they want to get put up for the night either. They start fussing kind of like toddlers do where they want to run and snuggle and play, but also they want to be in their cage and sleeping. They get a few times of being put up or with me, and then it's bed time. It's very cute in the sense that they are fighting being sleepy.

Even though her nesty-ness is through the roof, she has only laid three eggs the last month. She tends to really space them out. Vet said not to worry until she starts going nine or more in a batch. She also has cheeto beak from how much calcium block she goes through.

Her two year visit is soon, and we are going to be discussing her hormonal "issues." Apparently, it's expected at her age. But Good God, her nesty behaviour just never stops.

Whitlam posted:

Eat the eggs, Captain Log.

:hmmyes:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Kurnugia posted:

perfect timing on the latest Birb upload:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoXDvkfmNWQ

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad takes a dump promptly upon being uncovered every morning. It makes me feel bad if I'm late getting to him because I assume he's holding in a monster turd and waiting. That's my sleep ritual story. Thanks for listening.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Kurnugia posted:

lol I hold the squiddy open for her and let it fall around her til she floofs... its like a fleecy blankie for her I guess.

Shirec posted:

I'm terrified I will see eggs from Cricket...I pray every day that she DOESN'T decide to go nesty psycho egg-laying champion bird like Serra.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 13, 2019

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout is still fighting from her luxurious ICU unit.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

mikerock posted:

Keep fighting bub, we're rooting for you :unsmith:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mikerock posted:

ohhhhh poor sweet scouty baby :( :h:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mikerock posted:

Scout is an inspiration. She keeps going and going. I hope you guys are doing alright, Scout is so lucky to have such a good family.

Edit : She! Sorry.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 13, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Captain Log posted:

Scout is an inspiration. He keeps going and going. I hope you guys are doing alright, Scout is so lucky to have such a good family.

okay Captain Log I love you but at this point I just have to know how you don't know Scout is a she.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My grandad still calls the cat who lives in the same house as him "she" even though the last three cats he's lived with have all been boys.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

okay Captain Log I love you but at this point I just have to know how you don't know Scout is a she.

Whoops, slip of the brain. I knew that but didn't type it. Never mind me.

(Had a buddy back in Nashville with a boy GC conure named Scout. My brain jumbles things after 9:00. I'm old and easily confused.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/thezombiehunter/status/1149802875914280960?s=20

oh god

oh gently caress