Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Isn't it usually one rival and one gym leader(and one kid), or two gym leaders?

OS - 2 Gym Leaders
AG - Brock, Female Player Character (and one original kid)
DP - Brock, FPC
BW - 2 Gym Leaders
XY - 1 Gym Leaders (and his sister from the game), 1 FPC
SM - Lillie and 4 Trial Leaders

If we count Brock as a gym leader for the generations he isn't one, then yeah, there's always at least one gym leader, and half the time the female player character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Nodosaur posted:

also, ranking Ash's generational birds:

1. Rowlet
2. Hawlucha
3. Talonflame
4. Staraptor
5. Swellow
6. Noctowl
7. Unfezant
8. Pidgeot

Ranked from worst to best

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Licarn posted:

Unfezant?

Seriously?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I may not know who this "Ash" gal is, but Hawk Lucha is an excellent monster and a very good friend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pentaro posted:

Hawk Lucha is an excellent monster and a very good friend.

:hmmyes:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

1. Rowlet
2. Hawlucha
3. Talonflame
4. Staraptor
5. Swellow
6. Noctowl
7. Unfezant
8. Pidgeot

People say Ash's birds didn't do much, but Noctowl had three important functions (scouting, beating Morty, and popping balloons) and did them all well. That doesn't actually make it interesting, though; it was originally supposed to be very cunning, but this never really came up after Ash captured it. It was cool in its later appearances, though. It apparently has X-Ray vision in Chronicals (which I guess is an interpretation of Foresight or Keen Eye), and actually properly fought non-ghosts at the end of DP.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I like Mimikyu a real lot. is it confirmed for Galar

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

indigi posted:

I like Mimikyu a real lot. is it confirmed for Galar

Yes, the new gym leader Allister was seen using one.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I don’t care about which Pokémon in or are not in... as long as the Nidos are in. I want to transfer my shiny Nidoking best friend.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Balon posted:

I don’t care about which Pokémon in or are not in... as long as the Nidos are in. I want to transfer my shiny Nidoking best friend.

All original 150 Pokemon are in. Your shiny friend is good to go.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

All original 150 Pokemon are in. Your shiny friend is good to go.

Was this actually stated anywhere?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

1. Rowlet
2. Hawlucha
3. Talonflame
4. Staraptor
5. Swellow
6. Noctowl
7. Unfezant
8. Pidgeot

Hey, Rowlet and Hawlucha are cheating. One is a starter who is polled as the most popular Pokémon from its region (with included Everstone to ensure continued plush toy adaptability) and the other is a non-regional bird-man wrestler.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

not afaik, just an assumption since all the assets were updated for LGPE. and also there are 151 original Pokemon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

Hey, Rowlet and Hawlucha are cheating. One is a starter who is polled as the most popular Pokémon from its region (with included Everstone to ensure continued plush toy adaptability) and the other is a non-regional bird-man wrestler.

Hawlucha is the French national bird

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

less laughter posted:

then why doesn't it have the Emergency Exit ability

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Silver2195 posted:

No, sorry, I thought it was but a google search revealed that I had misremembered. My bad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

less laughter posted:

France loving wishes it's national bird could do that good lucha thing.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Hawlucha is more like a person in a bird-themed costume then an actual bird. Who can somehow fly.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It’s a hawk/luchador. It belongs to the proud people of Mexico.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
it only speaks French, eats baguettes and drinks Merlot

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

qnqnx posted:

That bare minimum of effort that GF can't even muster. Just let them design pokemon and leave the actual game making to someone else, they are done.

Are you twelve years old

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Licarn posted:

Pidgeot had no personality, never did anything important or interesting, and that was why they got rid of him.

People only remember and appreciate him because he was first.

Geostomp posted:

He straight up doesn't have another bird in Alola. I can't exactly include the Pikipek or Toucannon he doesn't have.

This is also based less on overall popularity and more on the personality and character and the battle record of each Pokemon.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

Are you twelve years old

Wow how childish, to demand better than the bare minimum effort from companies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Silver2195 posted:

It doesn't need to be stated. The original 151 are sacred and they aren't gonna leave any of them out. Not even Golduck

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

It doesn't need to be stated. The original 151 are sacred and they aren't gonna leave any of them out. Not even Golduck

Heaven forbid that we don’t get Farfeth’d, Voltorb, and Arbok.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Farfetch'd rules goddamitt!!

Gen VIII will finally be his time to shine. I believe in him

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I dislike the constant Kanto pandering but do not shittalk Voltorb ever again.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I want a Wooloo so badly

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Geostomp posted:

Well Farfetch'd kicks rear end so how about you SHUT UP!!!!

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Geostomp posted:

At least name ones that literally no one ever is going to defend, like Seel and Goldeen

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Licarn posted:

At least name ones that literally no one ever is going to defend, like Seel and Goldeen

I legitimately forgot they existed.

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
Never thought soak would be useful, but it made the ultra necrozma fight less annoying than it needed to be.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Geostomp posted:

if seedot isn't in swsh then i will poo poo

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'd be shocked if some Gen 1 Pokémon didn't appear in Sword and Shield. Pleased, but still shocked.

Most of the Pokémon revealed to be in the game are ones that provoke a fan reaction, although currently Maractus is the main outlier. Even Gen 1 has Pokémon that no one really gushes (unless you remind them that they exist... Like Seel and Dewgong).

EDIT: I guess Bergmite and Avalugg's inclusion is unusual as well.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 13, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Licarn posted:

I'll defend Goldeen for being prettier than Basculin while filling a similar ecological niche.

Seel is crap, though.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Zuzie posted:

I'd be shocked if some Gen 1 Pokémon didn't appear in Sword and Shield. Pleased, but still shocked.

Most of the Pokémon revealed to be in the game are ones that illicit a fan reaction, although currently Maractus is the main outlier. Even Gen 1 has Pokémon that no one really gushes (unless you remind them that they exist... Like Seel and Dewgong).

I dunno about that, I saw a lot of gen 6 pokemon that no one cared about. Like Avalugg which I honestly forgot about until the trailer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The original 151 are in more than likely because they've already done most of the work updating for this because the game has been developed concurrently with Let's Go.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly? Whether they carry the original 151 over or not is going to be the proof of their ongoing philosophy going forward. If a few of the 151 take the bench, then it's a sign this is truly about trying to give a unique experience every game and not about saving resources.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I think the ones most likely not going to appear in Sword and Shield are Legendaries and Mythicals from previous games (apart from Gen 1 ones, and Mew was already confirmed to be in already) and the Ultra Beasts.

The Legendary birds have been proven to appear in a number of regions outside of Kanto like Sinnoh, Kalos and arguably Alola. It makes no sense for Ultra Beasts to appear in Galar as natives since they're supposed to be from other dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
long live dux