Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Some of us watch the debates because we actually want to learn more about the candidates and make an informed decision on who to vote for based on objective criteria (crazy I know), so yeah, all these dipshit clowns like Gravel, Warren, Yang etc being on stage is actually a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Calibanibal posted:

Some of us watch the debates because we actually want to learn more about the candidates and make an informed decision on who to vote for based on objective criteria (crazy I know), so yeah, all these dipshit clowns like Gravel, Warren, Yang etc being on stage is actually a bad thing

Everything you learn about a candidate from a debate is performative.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

mcmagic posted:

See: Harris literally walking back every single thing she said in the debates in the time since.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

holy loving moly

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Oh well its just performative so let every clown put on their little show? I don't agree with that. That's just a waste of my time (I hate the circus)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I wouldn't, because I'm pretty sure she'd just end up doing things in the same way as usual. She's made comments on issues like Israel/Palestine that make me think, if actually in power, that she'd just listen to the advisors/etc.

Her advisors would be the most dovish in the USA in the last 70 years, but also as gentiles take Kabbalah 1000% seriously and earnestly inadvertently start WW3 because of it. I know these people. I know Williamson's people like the Bedouin know sand.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

as it happened crooked media and hbo had a crew on hand to film a documentary about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NT4C1F_HZE

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

mcmagic posted:

You are still responding to Diet Getfiscal in earnest. User loses posting privileges for six months of Forensic Psychiatry.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1149815916210925569

bernie!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I think you're presenting the Bolsheviks as too passive an actor here. Menshiviks had a functioning majority-government in Georgia until the Bolsheviks kicked them out. The Bolsheviks also began dispersing and closing down "opposition" newspapers in 1918. They weren't really interested in a collaborative or multi-party left government. The Bolsheviks did an excellent job of seizing power and holding on to it through propaganda, policy, planning and violence (and set a good lesson for any revolutionary today)... but again, given that the peasants and their various parties composed about 80-90% of the population, their political/cultural will was hardly being represented. i.e. I don't believe the RKP(b)'s success at taking and holding power is necessarily a one-to-one reflection of their execution of a "popular will" in a largely agrarian state that had rejected them during the elections.

The big split with the Left SRs was the War itself, which was already lost, the only question is how much land they were going to lose (and I already talked about the right-SRs). How does one represent popular will in a country that already has already ceased to exist? If anything there was already a representative revolution, it collapsed on itself, and the October Revolution was one faction picking up the pieces. It gives an illustration of what a revolution takes in a society on the verge if not in the process of collapse. Either way, it is true the Bolsheviks only represented a portion of society, but at the same time, it becomes murkier when that society is already balkanizing in the first place.

(In all honesty, the elections were a miscalculation in my opinion at least.)

quote:

I've reduced the functioning of the COMECON down a bit (it was more of an attempt to coerce Eastern Bloc states into replicating a limited Law of Comparative Advantage scenario), but ultimately its goal was to foster internal trade to reduce reliance on foreign goods imports (which always came at the cost of very limited supplies of Western currency), and in some cases to supply the USSR with the kinds of advanced industrial and commercial goods that it had struggled to make on its own.

Fine, but that is pretty different than what you first said. Also, the Soviets never had a problem trading with the West, it is that for the most part they simply couldn't afford it.

quote:

The Great Depression may have severely affected export grain prices, but to argue that it had the same kind of negative impact on the USSR as it did on the US or Weimar Germany would be inaccurate, I think.

Also, oil and other commodity prices were also affected btw. Arguably, it may have had greater repercussions since the crash phase collectivization and a greater push towards exportation was directly caused by the fall in prices and the resulting trade deficit. (Also, the turn toward autarky and the "unimpressive" results of the second five-year plan fed into much of the paranoia of the 1930s, and arguably is a prime reason for at least the initial stages of the great purge (before it becomes a complete free for all.)

quote:

In any case, I didn't deny that the USSR failed to compete with other economies, merely that the idea that the USSR failed because of external "economic sabotage" is not really historically accurate. Although that kind of analysis can potentially apply to pre-1961 East Germany and Cuba.

Well, the issue of Saudis hiking production in the mid-1980s is a bit murky. The more FOIA CIA pdfs I see, the more it looks like it was at least considered as a strategy.

quote:

The SPD was dumb as poo poo (or liberal as poo poo, take your pick), but so was the KPD. Besides the strikes, members of the KPD contributed to the Nazi Beobachter newspaper, spread anti-SPD Nazi propaganda and fought the Eiserne Front/Reichsbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold in the streets. Ironically, the Rotfrontkämpferbund (KPD's militias) and the Eiserne Front collaborated in the streets against the Nazis more often than their respective leaders did in Parliament.

But how much is that the results of consequences of fraught political enviroment or a true "Red-Brown" alliance?

quote:

I only whipped out this "I was born in Leningrad" poo poo as a response to the "I'm part Russian, stop this faux-outrage" accusation. Normally, I discuss the merits of history without ever bringing it up - because most of my experiences in the USSR are unrelated to general Soviet history or modern social conditions and standpoint theory doesn't apply here.

It is more of a general statement, including not just in this thread.

As for Russian/Soviet history, there was a thread but it was perhaps not "exciting enough" but I would like to see a better way to actually talk about Soviet history than it just being thrown into whatever political argument of the moment (it happens across the political spectrum). I don't think the Eastern Europe thread is an appropriate place either.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gravel calling out war criminals to their face is worth more airtime than anything a loving liberal loser has to say.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Am I bad person for laughing at that buttigieg piece

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mantis42 posted:

Gravel calling out war criminals to their face is worth more airtime than anything a loving liberal loser has to say.

The good part is that they are all war criminals . Except Marianne and Yang. Gravel can chastise even Bernie

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Mike Gravel has done infinitely more good for America than anyone on that stage.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kidkissinger posted:

i pretty much stopped after the first part where he mentions getting a piece rejected at the new yorker by will from chapo's dad for being a total nuthouse

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
russia doesn't have anything to do with the dnc primary or does it :tinfoil:

(no it does not)

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

VH4Ever posted:

Dude I love how now the idea is "no, actually we need MORE than the 20 person shitshow we have now!!" because that's the only way Gravel gets in. Sure, 5% and above is worthwhile. But this is a clown car. You aren't going to tantrum me into seeing it any other way. Not when the current criteria lets the Crystal Lady and five redundant white guys get on stage.

I love how people here always complain that all the no names are white men. Gillibrand is as much of a joke as them, Wayne Messam can't even get on the stage and Stacey Abrams wouldn't crack 2% or 3% and would have a lot less to say than the hype would have you expect.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

Calibanicanceled

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Awful CompSloth posted:

I love how people here always complain that all the no names are white men. Gillibrand is as much of a joke as them, Wayne Messam can't even get on the stage and Stacey Abrams wouldn't crack 2% or 3% and would have a lot less to say than the hype would have you expect.

how could you forget the klobb

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Shear Modulus posted:

how could you forget the klobb

Definitely her too, and Tulsi. I guess them and Gillibrand are white men for all intents and purposes to this board.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
They are all awful liberals , for all intents and purposes , regardless of race or sex. Except for Bernie and Gravel and Marianne.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Awful CompSloth posted:

Gillibrand isn't a no-name. She has precisely one principle, that sex creeps are bad, and that was enough to render her a hated pariah in Ugly Hollywood.

The undifferentiated flesh blob, the two Republicans who aren't Biden, and the twins are all mediocre white guys though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is a total lie

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1149770643916951552?s=21

Every M4A Bill has a transition period where the ACA stays in place while the structure shifts to single payer

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just wanted to make sure people didn't miss this:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_...wS&guccounter=2

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

This is a total lie

Every M4A Bill has a transition period where the ACA stays in place while the structure shifts to single payer

Biden 2020: if you don’t vote for me, you or a loved one will die of cancer.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

biden is pledging to either cure cancer or give it to everyone depending on how the primary goes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

biden already promised to cure cancer if elected during one of his first campaign speeches

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theblackw0lf posted:

This is a total lie

The only way to argue against M4A is to lie and fearmonger.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So Biden is now saying that Medicare for All will kill people.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I think Biden is promising to cure cancer within 6 months

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

he's gonna irradiate his balls like randy in south park and then put a bipartisan cancer researh funding "save joe!" deal in front of mitch mcconnell, who will tell him to gently caress off

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah see I was wondering about that. Good. The system worked, again. Now tell the Chapo teens to get the gently caress off my lawn.

Trabisnikof posted:

He doesn't think that, but clearly you've already made up your mind and any amount of proof otherwise will just be ignored by you.

As shown by the post quoted above yours, he seems to be one of the people who has some derangement syndrome against "what they vaguely perceive to be 'dirtbag leftist' culture (and things associated with it)." There's no real rhyme or reason to it. They just really loving dislike that sort of thing.

At its core it probably just stems from these people still having a lot of their perception of politics dictated by mainstream media, which leads them to perceive alt-media stuff like Chapo Trap House as somehow being bad and crude. Even if, on some level, they understand and accept left-wing values, they still view the candidates through the lens of their mainstream media portrayals.

Willie Tomg posted:

Her advisors would be the most dovish in the USA in the last 70 years, but also as gentiles take Kabbalah 1000% seriously and earnestly inadvertently start WW3 because of it. I know these people. I know Williamson's people like the Bedouin know sand.

I certainly don't deny that she would be better than pretty much all the non-Bernie candidates, but I don't think she crosses the "anyone beyond this line is lovely" threshold.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1149893631358246912

The teens are good

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
when biden promises to cure cancer but won't go with M4A

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

kidkissinger posted:

Yes.

Ardennes posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owned.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

@Berke Negri

Don't pretend we don't know who you actually are.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

creepy

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think there needs to be some context for the Warren thing.

Remember, she comes fresh from Massachusetts politics, and the standard here is that to become a free volunteer on a political campaign you are expected to attend voluntary trainings by the DSC, and that those trainings are couple with a donation to the party.

So really, letting her employees work for free is a step above the standard MA practice of asking them to pay for the privilege.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 13, 2019

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

How do posters who’ve been around forever get Caliban’l’d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hello muddah
Hello fadduh