Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah ditching Romance ditches the entire conceit of the game.

I don't think this is true. Records mode plays pretty much the same way as Romance on the Strategic Map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Some events also change depending on whether you're in Romance or Records mode, so playing each version once is worth a go.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
playing with the han empire mod is kinda funny

edit: honestly i think it might make the game way too easy, though

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Some events also change depending on whether you're in Romance or Records mode, so playing each version once is worth a go.

Cool. I'll plan for a records military conquest with Gongsun Zan (because I'm a fan of the old conquer-every-province part of Total War) and then do a Romance game with a fun-sounding general.

I know almost nothing about China and even less about this period in Chinese history and i gotta tell you it's a blast learning about all these people and having the wiki open on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Pang De has wrecked shop in my Lu Bu game (might as well rename the Ma Teng start "Lu Bu's power hour" :v: ), only being surpassed by Lu Bu himself.

That said, Lu Bu has only dueled one person in my campaign, Guan Yu. Lu Bu won, not before being reduced to 10% health after one special attack :stare:

yeah, it's fitting his once-per-battle "delete everything in front of me" ability is called God of War

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Farrier Theaks posted:

I know almost nothing about China and even less about this period in Chinese history and i gotta tell you it's a blast learning about all these people and having the wiki open on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Keep in mind Romance of the Three Kingdoms is at best loosely history. If you want history read Records of the Three Kingdoms, it's not very long.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Grand Fromage posted:

Keep in mind Romance of the Three Kingdoms is at best loosely history. If you want history read Records of the Three Kingdoms, it's not very long.

Great, thanks.

Dong Zhou died about 20 turns in, is that normal?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Farrier Theaks posted:

Great, thanks.

Dong Zhou died about 20 turns in, is that normal?

I had Dong Zhou die on turn 3, the fat gently caress's life expectancy is based entirely on when Lu Bu decides to make his move.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Dong Zhuo can die early on by event, but turn 20 seems a bit late for that. Maybe someone captured and executed him?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I've had Dong Zhuo survive past turn twenty once in a hundred hours of play.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
haha okay. It seemed like the campaign was setting him up as the long-term threat but that's TW i guess

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Farrier Theaks posted:

haha okay. It seemed like the campaign was setting him up as the long-term threat but that's TW i guess

That’s how the real 3 Kingdoms goes. The big names “come together” to defeat Dong Zhuo, immediately dissolve into petty infighting, and then Dong gets assassinated by his own dudes in 192 with no help from the coalition, who are busy plunging the country in a century of civil war from which none of them emerges as the next ruler of China.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if you marry dong min into your own faction before dong zhuo is killed, do you just inherit the entire thing?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
No, inheritance only within faction

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Also ewww marrying Dong Min.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s how the real 3 Kingdoms goes. The big names “come together” to defeat Dong Zhuo, immediately dissolve into petty infighting, and then Dong gets assassinated by his own dudes in 192 with no help from the coalition, who are busy plunging the country in a century of civil war from which none of them emerges as the next ruler of China.

this owns

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Three Kingdoms is good and you should read up about it.

Learn about one of history's greatest con-artists, Liu Bei.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Three Kingdoms is basically a bunch of con artists having a war and then Sima Yi's grandkid wins somehow.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
He had the better economy. Shu was never rich, and Wu fell into long disorder over the succession. Really, with Wei/Jin holding the whole north, it was only a matter of time.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Funky Valentine posted:

Three Kingdoms is basically a bunch of con artists having a war and then Sima Yi's grandkid wins somehow.
Then he dies suddenly and it starts over from the beginning.

Three Kingdoms is good and you should read up about it.

Learn about one of history's greatest con-artists, Liu Bei.
Liu Bei's progression is great. He goes from being a middle class peasant, to getting tutored by Lu Zhi, to being Gongsun Zan's friend, to Gongsun Zan's lackey(helping him fight Yuan Shao) to helping Kong Rong, to helping Tao Qian(fight Cao Cao), to succeeding Tao Qian(even historically, he was reluctant about that, but Kong Rong and Mi Zhu talked him into it). Then he welcomes Lu Bu, gets betrayed by Lu Bu, teams up with Cao Cao to kill Lu Bu, gets re-installed as Governor of Xu by Cao Cao, backstabs Cao Cao, fails, takes refuge with Yuan Shao, ditches Yuan Shao after he loses, flees south and takes shelter with Liu Biao, sides with the loser in Liu Biao's succession struggle(Liu Qi), flees south from Cao Cao, takes shelter with Sun Quan, Sun Quan beats Cao Cao at Chi Bi, Liu Bei somehow ninjas all the territory and promises to give it back, gets invited into Yizhou to help Liu Zhang fight off Zhang Lu, never fights Zhang Lu, steals Yizhou out from under Liu Zhang, exiles him and his son to Jing, gives part of Jing back to Sun Quan but maintains he needs the rest and puts Guan Yu in charge to make sure it's never returned, Sun Quan teams up with Cao Cao to get Jing back and executes Guan Yu, Liu Bei executes his foster son for not helping Guan Yu, Liu Bei declares himself Emperor, tries to get Jing back but gets burned by Lu Xun, and dies in some random castle in the rear end end of Yizhou.
Like, I would love a reading of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that played up Liu Bei as a smug, scheming bastard, because it would be the best thing, but it's less likely to happen than Yuan Shu being playable in Dynasty Warriors.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Like, I would love a reading of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that played up Liu Bei as a smug, scheming bastard, because it would be the best thing, but it's less likely to happen than Yuan Shu being playable in Dynasty Warriors.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Man, and I thought Alcibiades commanding the Athenian navy while avoiding trial in the city itself after having defected back from the Spartans because he got caught sleeping with the king's wife was impressive.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Liu Bei must have been just amazingly charming and persuasive to have got away with the poo poo that he pulled.

IMO the most significant historical characters were Cao Cao, Sun Quan, Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The nanman was the best and most important

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Zhuge Liang wasn't quite the tactical genius that he gets credit for in the Romance, but he also didn't waste all of Shu-Han's strength on foolish expeditions. Zhuge Liang was a famously cautious commander. Even the Empty Fort Strategy only worked because everyone believed he was way too cautious to ever have a real empty fort. In his Zhuge Liang northern expeditions (invasions), he'd always withdraw when things got dicey, so Shu didn't lose that many solders during those campaigns. On the other hand, Jiang Wei's eleven northern expeditions were a huge waste that sapped all of Shu-Han's strength and set them up for future ruin.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Zhuge Liang wasn't quite the tactical genius that he gets credit for in the Romance, but he also didn't waste all of Shu-Han's strength on foolish expeditions. Zhuge Liang was a famously cautious commander. Even the Empty Fort Strategy only worked because everyone believed he was way too cautious to ever have a real empty fort. In his Zhuge Liang northern expeditions (invasions), he'd always withdraw when things got dicey, so Shu didn't lose that many solders during those campaigns. On the other hand, Jiang Wei's eleven northern expeditions were a huge waste that sapped all of Shu-Han's strength and set them up for future ruin.

Lu Xun often gets overlooked but I would honestly put him over Zhuge Liang as a battlefield commander.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wait if that's what really happens in the book how did the honorable benevolent Liu Bei/untrustworthy betrayer Cao Cao narrative come about

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait if that's what really happens in the book how did the honorable benevolent Liu Bei/untrustworthy betrayer Cao Cao narrative come about
That's because it's not from the book, but from actual history (and/or reading into the book)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Different cultural views/values. Westerners tend to be more Cao Cao fans and hate Liu Bei. Also the novel invents some villainous stuff for Cao Cao that he never did.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The eventual winners of Jin fell apart in a civil war and overly relying on tribal mercenaries so when the ethnic Han Chinese relocated to the south the local propaganda was "well if our boys of Shu-Han had won instead of those Wei/Jin assholes we wouldn't be suffering like this" and the government rolled with it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Took me a while to get into the game but man I looked up and 3 hours had passed, glad to see CA still has it. I think I'm enjoying this more than any TW in a long time, probably since the final (and modded to gently caress) version of Rome

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

Different cultural views/values. Westerners tend to be more Cao Cao fans and hate Liu Bei. Also the novel invents some villainous stuff for Cao Cao that he never did.

Dunno, us Chinese love Cao Cao too. He's got such flair and pizzazz.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

super-redguy posted:

Dunno, us Chinese love Cao Cao too. He's got such flair and pizzazz.

Modern Chinese culture doesn't have much connection to the past, I think views have changed. But I'm also going off a Chinese literature scholar I knew in China for the differing views. I never met a Chinese person who'd read Romance. :v: And I don't blame them, I think I managed a hundred pages before giving up. But everyone knows the story since the only things ever on TV are adaptations of Romance, Journey to the West, Generic Tang Costume Drama, Generic Murdering Japanese People Show, and copies of Korean variety shows that are themselves copies of Japanese variety shows.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why was Romance the one to creep through the state controls? It's not like there aren't other periods in history where, albeit mostly briefly, China united.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's insanely popular. Suppressing it would've been impossible. Water Margin and Dream of the Red Chamber are the other two of the big four (all lists must be numbered) novels but they aren't as popular.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

That's not necessarily true, Mao Zedong famously thought Cao Cao was the real hero.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

That's not necessarily true, Mao Zedong famously thought Cao Cao was the real hero.

Not sure I'd take Mao as representative of traditional Chinese cultural views.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's insanely popular. Suppressing it would've been impossible. Water Margin and Dream of the Red Chamber are the other two of the big four (all lists must be numbered) novels but they aren't as popular.

water margin owns

This fish is my brother, you will treat him as such

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

What I heard was that Cao Cao was actually regarded as the hero for a couple hundred years after the period but various political and cultural factors (Confucianisn got big and they hated him) led to the spin of him being the villain. The author also identified strongly with Zhuge Liang and ended up stealing alot of top moments and giving them to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Cao Cao has a JJ Lin song about him so he's good and my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J_bkgexrE8