Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

How are u posted:

Seems like genuinely positive announcement here. It takes an Investor's own house burning down to teach them they can't buy their way out of the climate crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/12/us-philanthropists-vow-to-raise-millions-for-climate-activists

This reminds me of how celebrities suddenly get invested in curing some disease or such if they or their kids get affected. Otherwise no on gives a poo poo.

Hey, if NIMBYism and gently caress-you-got-mine is dooming this species, at least sometimes it can be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

How are u posted:

Seems like genuinely positive announcement here. It takes an Investor's own house burning down to teach them they can't buy their way out of the climate crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/12/us-philanthropists-vow-to-raise-millions-for-climate-activists

I happen to know of a major LA exec whose Malibu home was within feet of the recent fire, and he STILL denies climate change.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gitro posted:

oh yeah come back to me when we can build 'birds'

For an investment of 500 million dollars I will build an app which will eventually build a system where you can send a bird to wherever you like to fix the environment from a simple click on your phone. Oops, I'm out of money I need another 500 million.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I've informed all our employees that, for the good of the planet, I will now be paying them exactly enough for a subsistence lifestyle with no consumerist extras. We'll graciously redirect the salary differences to subsidizing their cost of renting cots underneath their cubicles to further reduce carbon footprints. We'll include the subsidy as a benefit expenditure on their paystub so they know we're honoring our commitment to Mother Nature.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an executive summit in Maldives.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Hahaha well if the Getty family want to start undoing the damage they've done to the climate they're going to need to donate a little loving more than that.

Seriously maybe if he gave away every penny he owns and then lives his life as an eco terrorist sabotaging oil/gas pipelines then maybe he could be considered ok. Otherwise he's just another dirtbag parasite awaiting climate justice.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
had a thought the other night

what if eco "terrorists" (really just garden variety industrial saboteurs) are already loving up nuclear and coal plants. like if you were going to do it and try to get away with it, you'd manipulate/bribe/arm-twist dozens of low/medium tier techs to just fuckup and install things backwards. slow roll the project past its financing deadlines.

which is pretty much exactly how nuclear construction has gone for decades now.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

For an investment of 500 million dollars I will build an app which will eventually build a system where you can send a bird to wherever you like to fix the environment from a simple click on your phone. Oops, I'm out of money I need another 500 million.

Yeah the other guy said some bullshit about birds just ""growing"" in cities like come on Mate pull the other one.

This sounds like something j can get behind, I'll contact my trust

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
big tech is where reforestation money needs to come from but i legitimately struggle with communicating with them purely because my techniques don't involve apps, machines, electricity, or any technology invented later than the stone age - not even out of personal philosophy, just that that's all i need and putting useless frills on every invention is how we ended up in this mess in the first place. luckily i can make a beautiful graph

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

nankeen posted:

big tech is where reforestation money needs to come from but i legitimately struggle with communicating with them purely because my techniques don't involve apps, machines, electricity, or any technology invented later than the stone age - not even out of personal philosophy, just that that's all i need and putting useless frills on every invention is how we ended up in this mess in the first place. luckily i can make a beautiful graph

Just find an old Wired magazine, read it cover to cover, and regurgitate the buzzwords back. It doesn't matter if you don't know what they mean because the point is just to trick them into believing you're part of the white color nerd community. Once you adopted their smell and have been accepted into the hive then you can infiltrate the brood chamber and feast on the delicious larva hidden within -- uh, I mean that's when you ask them for a donation

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Squalid posted:

Just find an old Wired magazine, read it cover to cover, and regurgitate the buzzwords back. It doesn't matter if you don't know what they mean because the point is just to trick them into believing you're part of the white color nerd community. Once you adopted their smell and have been accepted into the hive then you can infiltrate the brood chamber and feast on the delicious larva hidden within -- uh, I mean that's when you ask them for a donation

expired: .com
tired: .net
wired: .mobi

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

nankeen posted:

You're going to instantiate a new wave of climate-hacking using clusters of renewable, root-based bioprocesses. No speed trees here; we're going back to core principles with our new system. Just click the button on this app to find available hackyards or independent climate-concierges to bring about this new reality!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nankeen posted:

Just start calling forests the "green, organic blockchain" and they'll be eating out of the palm of your hand.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

You're going to instantiate a new wave of climate-hacking using clusters of renewable, root-based bioprocesses. No speed trees here; we're going back to core principles with our new system. Just click the button on this app to find available hackyards or independent climate-concierges to bring about this new reality!

omg i died at hackyards

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Sundae posted:

:stare:

There Bias Two posted:

Just start calling forests the "green, organic blockchain" and they'll be eating out of the palm of your hand.

great ideas, i'm appalled

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

nankeen posted:

great ideas, i'm appalled

What if I told you that the next generation of the climate economy could be held in your hand? That it no longer had to be the size of a redwood tree or take the hundreds of acres of the old paradigm of a forest? We are going to disrupt the way things have been done. With this brand new cutting edge process you can create thousands of plants or trees in any place you'd like. Friends, this process is simple and easy and it needs no link to your phone or laptop at all. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: the seed. Our IPO opens Monday. Thank you for your time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That sounds pretty innovative but can we change the name to SeedPod?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i like that you people can still be funny in the face of despair :h: it's a good skill to cultivate

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Moridin920 posted:

That sounds pretty innovative but can we change the name to SeedPod?

How about the iPod? Has a nice ring to it.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
¡pod!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hot: the air and water flowing.
Bare: the land we called our home.
Push to keep the dark from coming,
Feel the weight of what we've done.

This: the song of unborn children,
Hide the heart of who we are.
Making war to build our future,
Strong, united, working 'till we starve.

Strong, united, working 'till we burn.

And we all lift, and we're all adrift together, together.
Through the harsh sun, 'till we're lifeless together, together.

I couldn't help myself, it was asking for it. :ssh:

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Rime posted:

Strong, united, working 'till we starve.

Strong, united, working 'till we burn.

And we all lift, and we're all adrift together, together.
Through the harsh sun, 'till we're lifeless together, together.

I couldn't help myself, it was asking for it. :ssh:

:hmmyes:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Rime posted:

[i]Hot: the air and water flowing.

Was I supposed to read this in my head to the tune of Do Re Mi from Sound of Music?

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

davebo posted:

Was I supposed to read this in my head to the tune of Do Re Mi from Sound of Music?

I did the same thing. The Julie Andrews sing song in my head made it particularly unsettling.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The hills are alive with the sound of collapse.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's a different beat, the original is in the spoiler.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
So I’m not up to date on climate change research other than I believe the scientific consensus on the subject and am terrified of it. Someone on a different message board posted some “research” which I’m skeptical of to say the least but wanted to see your guys opinion. Basically some researchers out of Finland are claiming that all the climate models are wrong (obvious red flag is obvious) and that cloud cover has a greater effect on climate change than human caused climate change. It seems flawed for a lot of reasons (“cloud cover” doesn’t seem like an explanation on its own and isn’t exactly an input, it’s affected by what humans do I imagine) and it’s not peer reviewed as far as I’m aware (I tend not to disqualify research solely on this basis). https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.00165.pdf

Can anyone give a better explanation as to why this is (presumably) junk science? Obviously something that claims all the other models are wrong because they don’t account for X seems suspect right off the bat but just wondering if anyone has the patience for a deeper explanation. It also doesn’t seem like a reproducible study or anything either from what little I can tell.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://skepticalscience.com/

e d u c a t e

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TrixR4kids posted:

and it’s not peer reviewed as far as I’m aware (I tend not to disqualify research solely on this basis).

You should reject research on this basis.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

You should reject research on this basis.
Fair enough, though I know that’s not necessarily a perfect or incorruptible process.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

TrixR4kids posted:

Fair enough, though I know that’s not necessarily a perfect or incorruptible process.

What do you mean?

There are problems with science (especially statistics based science) and peer review lets some of those problems through. But that only serves to underscore how poo poo the research must be for it NOT to pass review.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Peer review is kind of a necessary prerequisite for credibility.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Shifty Nipples posted:

If you're not engaging in peer review, you're not doing science. Replicability of results is essential.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yup, it's the bare minimum. It means others in field and adjacent fields have read the research and were unable to find any blatant errors or falsehoods.

Stuff that's untrue (whether by accident or by intention) can and does pass peer review, but outright stupid stuff doesn't.

For instance, that paper posits that it's the cloud cover that done it, because the cloud cover has a weak correlation with the temperature rise. They then go on to say that this is a variable that wasn't taken into consideration by the IPCC and that actually, CO2 doesn't contribute as much as IPCC suggests. Alright, even if the data is accurate (which I have no basis to know, it's not my area of expertise), all that could mean is that 'cloudiness' is affected by the CO2 concentration.

Also, it's a very weak correlation, which they have supported by posting a chart and saying 'look at it.' I can't even find a correlation coefficient in the paper, which probably suggests that it's actually pretty low when you crunch the numbers.

Also, the charts they say support their point of view actually support the IPCC as far as I can tell.

Also, the paper is 4 pages long, with 5 references, yet claims to have proven something against the consensus of the entire field.

Also, the grammar is poor and this would not pass review on that basis alone.

Finally... it's not even peer reviewed!

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 13, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Also, of the 6 references (pardon my error by saying it was five), 4 are from the same authors, 1 of which is not even published yet. Of the remaining two, one is literally just worldwide data on temperatures, and one is the source of their dubiously used - and only - equation.

This is basically worse than a presentation for a bachelor level university class would need to be to get a passing grade.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 13, 2019

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

dex_sda posted:

Also, of the 6 references (pardon my error by saying it was five), 4 are from the same authors, 1 of which is not even published yet. Of the remaining two, one is literally just worldwide data on temperatures, and one is the source of their dubiously used - and only - equation.

This is basically worse than a presentation for a bachelor level university class would need to be to get a passing grade.
Yeah I noticed that as well, another blatant red flag.

As for what I was saying about peer review, I thought I remember hearing about certain journals just publishing everything a year ago even when intentionally bad research was submitted. Likewise in certain fields like the research being done in the hockey/sports world certain studies weren’t necessarily peer reviewed early on (it was more of an informal process among the community) when it was beginning but there was some quality work there. So when I argue against climate deniers I try not to solely focus on that fact even if I agree that the peer review process does far more good than bad big picture wise and understand why it’s necessary.

Anyhow thanks for digging into it more and answering my questions, much appreciated. That link you posted talks about some of the stuff they address as well (I intend to read more of that site).

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 13, 2019

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
That poo poo's crap poorly written by an intern so it's probably something cooked up for the government or a business to pull out and say "see it's not us keep burning oil please"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

That poo poo's crap poorly written by an intern so it's probably something cooked up for the government or a business to pull out and say "see it's not us keep burning oil please"

Nah, arxiv is the medium.com of scientific papers because a few legit researchers use it as a way to avoid the shiftiness and shiftiness of regular academic journalism arxiv attracts a crowd of wannabe/insane people who have ideas and so they post them there.

The big Corp stuff will be well funded, look snazzy, and probably even be “valid science” just about a very very wrong question.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

arxiv is the medium.com of scientific papers

The words that followed do not merit this comparison. apologize immediately

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mawarannahr Bucket posted:

The words that followed do not merit this comparison. apologize immediately

I mean we’ve got the biggest companies and political campaigns using medium.com to avoid paywalls and editorial concerns, so it’s merited.

Just be thankful writing a scientific paper isn’t hip yet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Greenland caught on fire. This can't be good

quote:

Remote sensing scientists were surprised to observe a large wildfire in August 2017 in western Greenland near Sisimiut. Two years later, another sizable fire burned in the same region.

Satellites first detected evidence of the fire on the morning of July 10, 2019. The Operational Land Imager (OLI) on Landsat 8 captured an image of it in the afternoon that day. The image above is natural color (OLI bands 4-3-2), overlaid with the infrared signature of actively burning fires. At the time, southwesterly breezes blew smoke away from the fire.

The fire burned in Queqqata Kommunia, about 18 kilometers (11 miles) northwest of Sarfannguit and just east of Sisimiut. It occurred near a hut on the Arctic Circle Trail and was likely started accidentally by a hiker, noted University of Miami scientist Jessica McCarty. The fire appeared to be burning in an area with mossy wetlands (called fen) and heath shrublands.

Warm, dry weather helped set the stage for the fire. Meteorological data shows the region has been unusually hot and dry in recent months. And it was particularly warm the day that the fire burned.

July 10, 2019PNG

The map above shows air temperatures at 2 meters (about 6.5 feet) above the ground on July 10, 2019. The near real-time temperature data come from the GEOS forward processing (GEOS-FP) model, which assimilates observations of air temperature, moisture, pressure, and wind speeds from satellites, aircraft, and ground-based observing systems. The darkest red areas in western Greenland had temperatures approaching 20°C (68°F). The normal daily high in Sarfannguit in July is 10°C (50°F).

This fire was short-lived in comparison to the 2017 blaze, which persisted for two weeks. In this case, firefighters extinguished the blaze by July 11, the day after it began.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145302/another-fire-in-greenland

I have 2 thoughts. First, some of this smoke and soot might be deposited on glaciers and icecaps, darkening them and accelerating melting. This fire probably didn't burn enough area long enough to have much effect there. I wish we could say the same about the millions of acres burning in Siberia, Alaska and the Canadian high Arctic.

2nd, there was a larger fire in the area a couple years ago. This is another example of what used to be an anomaly or a one off event becoming common. As weather changes and events become more and more extreme I am worried that instead of being treated as a warning that we need to collectively do something, these extreme events get put into a context where they are the new normal and people can find examples of the same thing happening in the recent past and complacency continues.